Bills open to trading Byrd

Jdragon2

Unfortunately, the Bills have to get rid of Byrd at this point. His value over the next few weeks is as good as it's going to get. After the trade deadline then what? Franchising him again next year would make absolutely no sense unless he were to show Ed Reed level skills to finish the year out. I just don't see that happening. The Bills need to take the best offer regardless of what it is and have their closure.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, the Bills have to get rid of Byrd at this point. His value over the next few weeks is as good as it's going to get. After the trade deadline then what? Franchising him again next year would make absolutely no sense unless he were to show Ed Reed level skills to finish the year out. I just don't see that happening. The Bills need to take the best offer regardless of what it is and have their closure.

Disagree. His value at this juncture is minimized with the question of Byrd being injury free enough to play all season, only 12 weeks remaining on the NFL regular season calendar, and the inability of a potential trade partner to lock Byrd up long term.

The Bills should franchise Byrd again next season to explore all available options whether it's a contract extension or a trade.

Listen to what Coach Marrone says in the interview on WGR this morning for about two minutes starting at about 6:45: http://audio.wgr550.com/a/81901694/10-7-doug-marrone-announces-thad-lewis-as-starter.htm?pageid=401026

Interesting comments that could be ramping up the pressure on Byrd to get on the field.

Ramping up pressure? I thought Byrd already said he was ready?

Disagree. His value at this juncture is minimized with the question of Byrd being injury free enough to play all season, only 12 weeks remaining on the NFL regular season calendar, and the inability of a potential trade partner to lock Byrd up long term.

The Bills should franchise Byrd again next season to explore all available options whether it's a contract extension or a trade.

If they want trade value, and i think that is the goal by now. wouldn't they want to showcase him ? and wouldn't Byrd wish for the same ?

Not too obvious of course but show him to be healthy at least ?

win win or not ?

If they want trade value, and i think that is the goal by now. wouldn't they want to showcase him ? and wouldn't Byrd wish for the same ?

Not too obvious of course but show him to be healthy at least ?

win win or not ?

Yes in response to all of the questions.

If Byrd could cover the Gronks/Grahams of the NFL, he'd be worth what he's looking for.

The only player I have successfully seen cover Gronkowski was Bryan Scott. The matchup is too great and the S position is in transition. In a few years we will have a completely rebuilt NFL.

- The DB's will all be 6' or greater, 200 lbs. or more.

- OL will be under 6'3" and lighter to be more agile in pass protection

- RB's will be bigger - 90's style, Thurman, Emmitt - types that are big and can blow throw arm tackles.

- WR's will be lighter, faster and will be able to get open in space. They will not need to fight the DB's because a lot of passes now are thrown to draw pass interference. Size matchups will switch.

Byrd has royally pissed me off this year. It was painfully obvious from his interviews that his heart is not in it to play for the Bills because he and his agent believe that the Bills have screwed him over. First he holds out, then he suddenly has an untreatable condition that also keeps him off the field and gets back at the Bills. If I'm Marrone, I don't want players who don't want to be here. By the same token, I would really not like to give away proven star NFL players like M. Lynch and J. Byrd. The Bills simply cannot afford to do that. If the Bills must rid themselves of Byrd then they must get something significant in return. In my view he is worth TWO R1 picks because PB safeties are hard to find. He's a stud just like his father was. I would seek a R1 and R3 pick (from a team with a projected poor record) OR possibly a R1 and a vet QB (even better). How about Byrd and a low draft pick for a R1 and QB B. Rothlisberger?? We desperately need help at QB.....even with Manuel. The Steelers just may be willing to part with Rberger because of his age and relatively poor performance. A. Williams and Leonhard are doing a capable job for us at safety. We need help at QB or we don't have a chance.

Byrd has royally pissed me off this year. It was painfully obvious from his interviews that his heart is not in it to play for the Bills because he and his agent believe that the Bills have screwed him over. First he holds out, then he suddenly has an untreatable condition that also keeps him off the field and gets back at the Bills. If I'm Marrone, I don't want players who don't want to be here. By the same token, I would really not like to give away proven star NFL players like M. Lynch and J. Byrd. The Bills simply cannot afford to do that. If the Bills must rid themselves of Byrd then they must get something significant in return. In my view he is worth TWO R1 picks because PB safeties are hard to find. He's a stud just like his father was. I would seek a R1 and R3 pick (from a team with a projected poor record) OR possibly a R1 and a vet QB (even better). How about Byrd and a low draft pick for a R1 and QB B. Rothlisberger?? We desperately need help at QB.....even with Manuel. The Steelers just may be willing to part with Rberger because of his age and relatively poor performance. A. Williams and Leonhard are doing a capable job for us at safety. We need help at QB or we don't have a chance.

Hahaha oh man, come on the Steelers are not giving up a RD1 pick and Big Ben. This is honestly one of the most ludicrous things I have read here. We get a 2X Super Bowl winning QB AND a 1st for a guy the Steelers cannot extend until after the season and the Steelers are clearly rebuilding.

Some facts:

Byrd did not hold out since he didn't have a signed contract.

Byrd did not suddenly get this PF condition, he had it last season and took injections to play through it.

With regard to his trade value.... Holy overvaluing Batman!!!

Jesus dude, what is that you don't get about the fact that Byrd's value is NOWHERE NEAR a first day pick and a pro-bowl QB, let alone first or second day pick alone! Who in their right mind would do such a thing for a player that can up and leave after the season? Do you read these threads? Do you understand that whatever team trades for Byrd is ONLY guaranteed to have him for the remainder of the season? Who is going to trade the kind of draft picks and players you are talking about for a guy that can walk at the end of the season.

Of course, they can franchise him, but how much do you think any NFL GM is going to give up to essentially be in the Bills' shoes?

Christ, it boggles my mind the number of posters in these Byrd's threads with visions of sugar plums and day one picks dancing in their heads.

We would be LUCKY if some team was willing to go a 4th!! I bet if the Bills got a sniff at a 4th round pick, Doug Whaley couldn't hardly contain himself to get the deal consummated he'd be so thrilled.

I am at the point now where I would be OK with simply dumping him for like a couple of 5ths or a 5 and 6 or something, just to get rid of him and his butthole agent. At the same time, I wouldn't mind the Bills saying F U to both of them, keeping him, playing him sparingly if at all, and franchise his azzzss again next year and letting him try to work out a deal with a team for a day two pick.

Byrd did not hold out since he didn't have a signed contract.

All due respect Bro but that's agent and FO speak...The truth is of all the tagged free agents who did not get a long-term deal over the past two years only Byrd and Dwayne Bowe did not sign their tenders almost immediately after the deadline...Add to that the fact that Byrd held off signing his tender 3 days longer than Bowe did and you have a guy who was basically creating his own holdout for effect-sake...Just because it's "technically" not a holdout does not mean it was not the exact same thing a a holdout... B-)

All due respect Bro but that's agent and FO speak...The truth is of all the tagged free agents who did not get a long-term deal over the past two years only Byrd and Dwayne Bowe did not sign their tenders almost immediately after the deadline...Add to that the fact that Byrd held off signing his tender 3 days longer than Bowe did and you have a guy who was basically creating his own holdout for effect-sake...Just because it's "technically" not a holdout does not mean it was not the exact same thing a a holdout... B-)

Not exactly the same thing....Players who "hold out" get fined. Yeah, he was absent from TC, but he had every right to do exactly what he did under the CBA.

If you get the right deal (2nd in the upcoming draft and a 5th or 4th in the year after, type deal) I think you have to consider trading Byrd. If you don't get a second plus another pick or at the very least two 3rd's and a late rounder I can't see how you would do it.

It should be on the table but considering they don't have anyone else they want to franchise (Wood was resigned and I don't see anyone else on the roster that is running up) the Bills shouldn't give him up for nothing, wait for the right deal if not franchise him again and hopefully you get a better deal in the off-season.

Those Parker/Byrd fellows are real stinkers and i hope they forget their umbrellas.

technically, he did not "hold out" . . . effectively, he "held out," and still is, with the superficial foot injury thing . . .

And, if I did trade him, I'd trade him to Jacksonville for whatever they'd take for him

Denver.

give them the foot infection