Bills open to trading Byrd

Jdragon2

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His PF, even if it were severe, should definitely have gone away between last year and the start of this year. Even if he didn't have access to the Bills trainers and facility, he's already very wealthy and easily could have gotten top treatment for his PF. There is almost no way it wouldn't have been fully healed by the start of this season if he had been treating it. He's fully making it up, having hoped for a trade by now and it was his way to stick it to management.

I've said before. He isnt really sticking it to management. He wanted a long term deal for the same reason all players do.

"Free money." A windfall of cash. I.E., the guaranteed signing bonus. They dont think of it as pay for future services.

Soooooooo, since you didnt give me my Free Cash, I'll use this Franchise Tender money as my free cash, and put it in my pocket for no work, just like the REWARD FOR PAST SERVICES that me and all players think the long term deal's "signing bonus" is. My next team may not give me as much, but at least I'll get the Free Money for no work, from the Bills.

Edited by maddenboy

treated past negotiations? You mean like...

Wood-good

Stevie-good

Freddie-love freddy but 30 year old rbs..meh

Fitz-this is laughable why did they even do this one

Mario...he was a free agent and im really happy they got him

Kyle--good

Walker-disaster tryna move a RT to LT and he was a FA not one of the bills drafted players

Dockery-disaster again

Kelsey- why they kept giving him money is beyond me.

Schobel-good one

Juron-oh god. another joke

You mean those past contract negotiations??

Or we're you singling out Levitre and Peters?

the past contracts i was thinking about is resigning there own drafted players. keeping there own talent.jason petersmarshawn lynch(iknow it wasnt a contract but he should have never left for a 4th round pick. i think it turned into tank carder and he never made it out of camp)jabari greeryou could list poz and whittner here too. have played well since leavingandy levitrenate clements was allowed to walk out for nothing in return...pat williamsim just saying that we shouldn't show a blind loyalty to the front office just because we root for the team. they have got it wrong but gotten it right sometimes too. but im gonna question them just as much.

His PF, even if it were severe, should definitely have gone away between last year and the start of this year. Even if he didn't have access to the Bills trainers and facility, he's already very wealthy and easily could have gotten top treatment for his PF. There is almost no way it wouldn't have been fully healed by the start of this season if he had been treating it. He's fully making it up, having hoped for a trade by now and it was his way to stick it to management.

"hes fully making it up"? what if he wasn't? i just cant deal in a absolute stance when i dont know for sure and i am 100% sure you dont know either. im sorry but i dont understand why people take the side of the FO like they have done the right thing or are getting it right. 13 years of no playoffs and abundance of miserable draft picks makes me second guess things they do.

I realize this won't probably be popular on this board but Mark G has it wrong. Keep him at least until the offseason, his trade value is better then. If he sits after we are out of the playoff picture. So be it. We need to get the maximum out of this situation, the smart money even tries hard to keep him around. We are better with him and have some decent depth then.

Play this through and see where we are at the end of the year. We have already paid him almost 1/2 his season anyway. We can also tag him again and take our chances (although may not be as wise), in anycase the Bills still have the advantage and leverage in this situation. If they do it right there are ways to get his value to the team working for us.

As it has been since this started Byrd and Parker need to feel the pressure of their bad choices. If they continue with the high stakes poker/ hardball that is the chance they take....Stupid and they could be effing his career, it could easily backfire. Which would be sad as he is a good player.

Mark Gaughan says the smart money is on the Bills trading Byrd:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/the-smart-moneys-on-bills-trading-byrd-20131009

Very interesting about Jabari Greer. I did not know that. Since he was a UDFA and most likely had a miniscule contract, I can hardly blame him for ensuring that he wouldn't get hurt more than he already was in his free agent year.

the past contracts i was thinking about is resigning there own drafted players. keeping there own talent.jason petersmarshawn lynch(iknow it wasnt a contract but he should have never left for a 4th round pick. i think it turned into tank carder and he never made it out of camp)jabari greeryou could list poz and whittner here too. have played well since leavingandy levitrenate clements was allowed to walk out for nothing in return...pat williamsim just saying that we shouldn't show a blind loyalty to the front office just because we root for the team. they have got it wrong but gotten it right sometimes too. but im gonna question them just as much.

"hes fully making it up"? what if he wasn't? i just cant deal in a absolute stance when i dont know for sure and i am 100% sure you dont know either. im sorry but i dont understand why people take the side of the FO like they have done the right thing or are getting it right. 13 years of no playoffs and abundance of miserable draft picks makes me second guess things they do.

you have a point to some extent.

Williams and Winfield were let go. It was a new regime at the time and changes were being made. Ill list the guys yiu spoke about and how I saw them at the time of their departure:

Williams- getting old and new scheme

Winfield- wanted and got way too much money

Clements- we already tagged him once, it would have turned nasty (like Byrd) if we did again. And he got paid too much.

Lynch- problem child 100%. As it stands he's still 1 strike away from a year ban and that might happen next season as he goes to court for dwi.

Poz- got paid WAY TOO MUCH.

Whinter- got paid WAY TOO MUCH.

Carder- didnt really show that much. But I'll give it to you.

Greer- I will agree with you 100% in this. The team made the wrong call all the way. An aging veteran wirh injury history gets a contract and we let Greer walk for nothing is inexcusable.

In the end, it would have been great to keep the following players at their overpriced contracts:

Williams

Winfield

Greer

Guys I'm 100% happy are not on this team:

Lynch

Whitner

Poz

Clements

The team was wrong about a few. But we're very right about others.

You didn't include Fletcher. He should have been on your list and I'd agree with that. He should have been here. But I don't blame the team for getting rid of anyone at or over 30 years old. More times than not they don't last.

Anyone else struck by the contradictions in Gaughan's article this morning? He says the smart money is on trading him but then he goes on to list several factors that make it difficult to do so this year.

It galls me to think that his feet may have him shut it down this year in an act of self-preservation but that he'd be playing hard "for his teammates" if he wasn't dissatisfied with his contract.

GO BILLS!!!

I know that many will disagree with me, but all of this suggests to me that the franchise player designation should go the path of the dinosaur. No other league has it, and they all survive just fine. Moreover, the only league that has it is the one most likely to produce injuries that cut short a career. Why would any NFL player be OK with this system? Sure, the NFLPA signed a deal with the league, but that doesn't make the designation a good idea. Moreover, it's the only league with national TV contracts, so the disparity in income between teams is lower than in any other league. There's no need for it. Of course, the players hate it because it undermines their freedom of contract.

If the defense is that the Bills need it to retain players, the defenders should look at what it has produced for them over the past two decades. It has been a rolling disaster for the Bills going back to Wolford. They've never gotten anything out of it except the right to draft Willis McGahee. (Moreover, trading Price helped to destroy their passing game in 2003.) If they were a good organization, they wouldn't need this sort of artificial protection from the market for good players.

Don't hate the player; hate the system.

Edited by dave mcbride

I would like to see the big contracts guaranteed for no more then 1 year at a time. Then the bills or another team would take a chance on signing Byrd. His PF makes him a gamble.

That's already the case in the NFL. The guaranteed money in 'long term" contracts comes in the form of the signing bonus.

I learn something new everyday. Thanks :thumbsup:

"Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks. " Highest would be a 3 rd pick

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000151670/article/nfl-awards-32-compensatory-draft-picks-to-16-teams

Edited by ALF

I learn something new everyday. Thanks :thumbsup:

"Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks. " Highest would be a 3 rd pick

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000151670/article/nfl-awards-32-compensatory-draft-picks-to-16-teamswhich means if we do not resign byrd and only lose three lower tier guys that were just space fillers but bring in 3 mid tier guys we may only get a 5th round pick or less. Or nothing.

Very interesting about Jabari Greer. I did not know that. Since he was a UDFA and most likely had a miniscule contract, I can hardly blame him for ensuring that he wouldn't get hurt more than he already was in his free agent year.

Yeah, I didn't know that either.

4th round picks are pretty worthless. what a bad situation. oh well, that's life with the Bills.

Better than nothing

Seriously, there's no point in keeping Byrd. They're not re-signing him

Bills screwed the pooch by being a garbage team and not paying him top dollar

Move on, it's not like he was a difference maker anyway

We better franchise him again next season too. I wouldn't care if he's got to sit on the bench like he's done this year. As an organization, you can't let your talent walk for nothing.

I get it, but I think setting the precedent that you can get $9M next year while the team lets you sit on your ass is worse.

I bet the majority of players side with Byrd on this. They know his current injury is BS. You can't let these things continue

Better than nothing

I get it, but I think setting the precedent that you can get $9M next year while the team lets you sit on your ass is worse.

I bet the majority of players side with Byrd on this. They know his current injury is BS. You can't let these things continue

i wouldn't say the majority of players "side" with Byrd. I'm sure they know his injury is complete BS though.

In the end, I agree with getting something for nothing (your argument) but its not like we have "nothing" we have Byrd locked up and there's nothing he can do about it.

IMO he is absolutely worthy of being paid the highest paid safety in the league. But I don't knock the Bills for not paying him that. I don't knock other teams for not wanting to pony up a 1st round pick for a very overpriced, less than guaranteed long term player for their team. Very few teams are only a FS away from a SuperBowl run. If any. If Byrd doesn't play he will have less value than he already does.

During the offseason and the start of the year, I told everyone that this would be very nasty. I have been one of the only ones on the board that was right about this. Most people said I was crazy. That Byrd would not hold out to the deadline. That he wouldn't miss a game. He has. And the fact is, he may actually have been I hired but since this came out, so did evidence that he's played through this in years past. Why not now? I'm guessing its got something to do with his contract and his fragile vision of self worth to a football team. He's proving to be a problem. It's proving to not get better.

I've said all along that I hope he plays for the Bills and if he does, I think he helps convert this defense into a top 5-10 unit. Along with Gilmore returning it will turn us into a very scary team to play for the remainder of the season.

Because of this, I wouldn't let Byrd walk for nothing. Hopefully starting this Sunday he proves his worth and makes it impossible for not only the Bills but for other teams to not want to offer him too money for the position.

Better than nothing

There's no way Marrone would stand for this if there was any semblance of truth to this. You are just throwing **** out there with zero evidence to back up the assertion. Pathetic!