Bills open to trading Byrd

Jdragon2

Is Byrd a top 5 Safety? Here is some info on salaries. These average salaries are from the NFL Players Association. We're including strong safeties (designated with an asterisk) on the list.

1. Troy Polamalu, Steelers, $9.125 million*

2. Eric Berry, Chiefs, $8.34 million*

3. Dashon Goldson, Buccaneers, $8.25 million

4. Eric Weddle, Chargers, $8 million

5. Antrel Rolle, Giants, $7.4 million

6. Michael Griffin, Titans, $7 million

7. Jairus Byrd, Bills, $6.916 million (franchise tag)

8. Tyvon Branch, Raiders, $6.83 million*

9. Antoine Bethea, Colts, $6.7 million

10. LaRon Landry, Colts, $6 million*

(Buffalo News July 15, 2013) How much of a signing bonus does he want versus an higher base salary? He is making $2 million less than Polamalu but only $500 thousand less that Rolle. Time will tell on what he will get and who is willing to pay him that amount. I doubt the Bills will pay him and he will be traded.

Edited by Nitro

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@hsimon62

Marrone said he's never seen Byrd negatively affected by the contract situation. he wants to play

@WGR550

Marrone on Byrd situation: "I have not seen one issue with him....he did everything he could to come back"

Listen to Coach Marrone from 12:30 to 14:50 on Jairus Byrd: http://podcast.wgr55...wnloadlink=true

Unless people think Marrone is lying, that should settle all of the fan anger towards Byrd with regard to faking injury.

dont you come on here and spread these facts...lol

Is Byrd a top 5 Safety? Here is some info on salaries. These average salaries are from the NFL Players Association. We're including strong safeties (designated with an asterisk) on the list.

1. Troy Polamalu, Steelers, $9.125 million*

2. Eric Berry, Chiefs, $8.34 million*

3. Dashon Goldson, Buccaneers, $8.25 million

4. Eric Weddle, Chargers, $8 million

5. Antrel Rolle, Giants, $7.4 million

6. Michael Griffin, Titans, $7 million

7. Jairus Byrd, Bills, $6.916 million (franchise tag)

8. Tyvon Branch, Raiders, $6.83 million*

9. Antoine Bethea, Colts, $6.7 million

10. LaRon Landry, Colts, $6 million*

(Buffalo News July 15, 2013) How much of a signing bonus does he want versus an higher base salary? He is making $2 million less than Polamalu but only $500 thousand less that Rolle. Time will tell on what he will get and who is willing to pay him that amount. I doubt the Bills will pay him and he will be traded.

except hes on a one year deal not a long term deal. and how do you know what the bills offered him? none of us do.

This is more of a case of the fans making implications about Byrd not wanting to be here and having nothing to base it on, Safety is a game changing position and I can't wait to see him in this defense as soon as possible. He'll earn his 8mil a year, and we should give it to him.

@hsimon62

Marrone said he's never seen Byrd negatively affected by the contract situation. he wants to play

@WGR550

Marrone on Byrd situation: "I have not seen one issue with him....he did everything he could to come back"

Listen to Coach Marrone from 12:30 to 14:50 on Jairus Byrd: http://podcast.wgr55...wnloadlink=true

Unless people think Marrone is lying, that should settle all of the fan anger towards Byrd with regard to faking injury.

Bills GM Whaley not actively shopping S Byrd: http://bigstory.ap.o...shopping-s-byrd

"Our focus right now is Jairus getting on the field and playing the best he can for the Buffalo Bills," Whaley said. "We are not actively on the phone hammering out trying to look for a trade. By the same token, (team president) Russ Brandon would listen if someone wanted to trade.

"So if the phone rings, we're going to listen. But that doesn't mean we're out trying to trade."

Whaley said the team has been impressed with how Byrd has handled himself throughout his rehabilitation, which has included the player spending extra time on the field following practice.

Yes and Yes! But let's keep making up other arguments about it :)

I like and have a ton of respect for how this coaching staff have managed the Byrd situation. They've all said and done nothing but the right things. If their is any possibility of mending the relationship, it will be because of their stance (public anyway) on his injury. That said, they are saying exactly what you'd expect them to say of a player they rely on.

Byrd, on the other hand, looks and sounds NOTHING like the Jairus Byrd before the contract issue. Nothing at all.

GO BILLS!!!

I like and have a ton of respect for how this coaching staff have managed the Byrd situation. They've all said and done nothing but the right things. If their is any possibility of mending the relationship, it will be because of their stance (public anyway) on his injury. That said, they are saying exactly what you'd expect them to say of a player they rely on.

Byrd, on the other hand, looks and sounds NOTHING like the Jairus Byrd before the contract issue. Nothing at all.

GO BILLS!!!

Youd think people in the media and fans alike have a higher respect for Byrd after this fiasco. Not quite sure why.

Youd think people in the media and fans alike have a higher respect for Byrd after this fiasco. Not quite sure why.

Byrd is a changed man. That is obvious to anyone who compares his press conferences and interviews this year to those in previous years. I think it goes deeper than just not being able to agree on a deal. We've seen dozens of players unhappy over deals in the past, but their personalities didn't seemingly change as a result. This may tweak his ardent defenders and I'm sorry, but I get the sense he is revealing his true feelings about having been in Buffalo all along. I don't think he was happy getting drafted by the Bills and I think he's even more disappointed in having to continue to play in Buffalo than he is in not getting top dollar.

GO BILLS!!!

Every team is going to consider him damaged goods, and his next contract is going to reflect that view. PF is chronic and unpredictable. My uninformed guess is that he is going to be a relative bargain for some other team to sign. Shoulda taken the deal.

kj

It is a contrast from how Gailey handled his early player problems. Gailey had a reputation for publicly blaming and/or calling out players....subtly or otherwise.

Fans love that......players resent it.

It was an issue I had with his hiring and it naturally pained me to have Lil' Donte say as much last year in the lead up to the SF game. If you are going to air your player concerns to the media then you better have a SB ring on your finger or a foolproof plan. Gailey's plan actually called for fools to coach his defense so foolproof it was not. When the going gets tough, players abandon that coach. That is a leading cause of "no heart" on a football team. Ask Gregg Williams, for another prime example.

Gailey and LeBeau are easily the best football minds the Bills have had in the coaching ranks since the days of Chuck Knox....but Gailey was not a head football coach. He was a great x and o assistant. I really doubt that Marrone is as good of a coach from what I have seen......but I think he is already a much better head coach. He gets his role at this point. He doesn't have license to blame these guys yet. He needs to prove something before he can even think about that.

I think Marrone has handled the Byrd situation beautifully with the media. Whaley too, actually. If he doesn't actually feel that way about Byrd it doesn't matter......the players would still much rather that he lied to the media and fans. Now if Russ Brandon can keep his nose out of it instead of the public posturing he got involved with during the Peters fiasco maybe the team can actually hold onto Byrd.

People always forget that time heals all wounds, and in the NFL a year is a LONG time.

It is a contrast from how Gailey handled his early player problems. Gailey had a reputation for publicly blaming and/or calling out players....subtly or otherwise.

Fans love that......players resent it.

It was an issue I had with his hiring and it naturally pained me to have Lil' Donte say as much last year in the lead up to the SF game. If you are going to air your player concerns to the media then you better have a SB ring on your finger or a foolproof plan. Gailey's plan actually called for fools to coach his defense so foolproof it was not. When the going gets tough, players abandon that coach. That is a leading cause of "no heart" on a football team. Ask Gregg Williams, for another prime example.

Gailey and LeBeau are easily the best football minds the Bills have had in the coaching ranks since the days of Chuck Knox....but Gailey was not a head football coach. He was a great x and o assistant. I really doubt that Marrone is as good of a coach from what I have seen......but I think he is already a much better head coach. He gets his role at this point. He doesn't have license to blame these guys yet. He needs to prove something before he can even think about that.

I think Marrone has handled the Byrd situation beautifully with the media. Whaley too, actually. If he doesn't actually feel that way about Byrd it doesn't matter......the players would still much rather that he lied to the media and fans. Now if Russ Brandon can keep his nose out of it instead of the public posturing he got involved with during the Peters fiasco maybe the team can actually hold onto Byrd.

People always forget that time heals all wounds, and in the NFL a year is a LONG time.

Fair points all around. Especially the bold text. If Byrd can find success in this defense and sees the potential in the rest of the staff and team, he may just change his mind.

GO BILLS!!!

We will get worse by trading him in terms of roster talent and draft pick returns.

It might be a case where we get better when cost is factored in like Levitre, but like him, getting an extension done early would have been so much better.

Is there any reason we weren't aggressively going after both of them to an extension over a year ago? Did they have anything to prove, or were their demands already too high? I know that train has left the station, but I would like to know if our front office is trying to be proactive with the next time this happens, and lock up core players early rather than as they are in the free agent / franchise situation where costs rise. Taking on some of the risk for the player by deciding earlier I think would benefit our team and save dollars in the long run.

I concede. You win. Byrd is a great human being. He saves kittens from burning trees on his time off. Greatest Bill ever.

i think this is the problem. its black and white in some peoples mind. but the truth IMO is someplace in the middle. thats why i cant go balls deep into the byrd is a jerk without thinking the FO also has some blame. without being byre-parker-or someone in the FO...none of us know and jumping to conclusions is whats got this board all messed up on the byrd situation.... but it is a message board so im pretty sure thats why we are all here.

i think this is the problem. its black and white in some peoples mind. but the truth IMO is someplace in the middle. thats why i cant go balls deep into the byrd is a jerk without thinking the FO also has some blame. without being byre-parker-or someone in the FO...none of us know and jumping to conclusions is whats got this board all messed up on the byrd situation.... but it is a message board so im pretty sure thats why we are all here.

well. That's where I'm getting at. I am actually agreeing to what has been said and is public knowledge about the situation. But lets be real here, just because what's been said in the media doesn't make it so. Of course we don't know that and probably never will, if there was a problem with how it's being handled. But for someone to say that the situation has been handled well just because of some things Whaley or Marrone said in an interview is naive. It's not fact, and we have no idea. Anyone can tell that this entire situation has been a very rough one. From the tag, refusing to come to camp, then all the sudden getting injured with a condition he's been known to play with in the past and it just so happens to be completely un-identifiable by doctors. I mean c'mon. And if the doctors can't recognize it, why is it that Marrone said the doctors shut Byrd down from the game last week? I thought doctors could only determine how bad it is based off what the player is saying? So based in that information, the doctors spoke with Byrd and in their professional opinions based off what Byrd was saying to them (regardless if he said to the media he was ready) he was not ready to go.