Bills open to trading Byrd

Jdragon2

The only player I have successfully seen cover Gronkowski was Bryan Scott. The matchup is too great and the S position is in transition. In a few years we will have a completely rebuilt NFL.

- The DB's will all be 6' or greater, 200 lbs. or more.

- OL will be under 6'3" and lighter to be more agile in pass protection

- RB's will be bigger - 90's style, Thurman, Emmitt - types that are big and can blow throw arm tackles.

- WR's will be lighter, faster and will be able to get open in space. They will not need to fight the DB's because a lot of passes now are thrown to draw pass interference. Size matchups will switch.

I'm sorry. I didn't care about this thread until I saw you say Bryan Scott covered Gronkowski. Go take a look at Grok's stats vs. the Bills. Bryan Scott was the thee biggest waste of a jersey in the last 10 years.....but at least he was "the mike" I guess.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly the same thing....Players who "hold out" get fined. Yeah, he was absent from TC, but he had every right to do exactly what he did under the CBA.

I mean...I understand that and all...I know the rules...But again, it's technicalities...He could have signed the tender, like most do, and had a full off season with the teammates he claims to care about so much...I think that gesture would have gone a long way towards Byrd getting what he wanted in the long run...But he (or his agent) wanted to make a point...Just like a holdout does...Then on top of it the PF issue comes up after he misses all that time...It's tough for me to have any consideration for Byrd's rights beyond the fact that he pushed his agenda within the rules...I understand it was his right to do so...I still think it was petty...He pretty much lost me as a fan right there...

Sure he had every right...Everybody has the right to be a d-bag if they want to... ;)

I'm sorry. I didn't care about this thread until I saw you say Bryan Scott covered Gronkowski. Go take a look at Grok's stats vs. the Bills. Bryan Scott was the thee biggest waste of a jersey in the last 10 years.....but at least he was "the mike" I guess.

playing out of position entirely as Mike.

He was good at covering TE's

Unfortunately, the Bills have to get rid of Byrd at this point. His value over the next few weeks is as good as it's going to get. After the trade deadline then what? Franchising him again next year would make absolutely no sense unless he were to show Ed Reed level skills to finish the year out. I just don't see that happening. The Bills need to take the best offer regardless of what it is and have their closure.

They could franchise him next year then trade him, working out long-term contract that was agreeable to him and his new team.

The Pats* used this approach successfully a couple times as I recall.

Note it will only work if Byrd plays well the rest of the year.

Maybe my memory is foggy (I sometimes drink excessively on Sundays), but I seem to remember Scott being beaten like a drum by Gronk.

ignore the 2012 fiasco. In years prior when playing as a Monster back Scott was able to matchup with the TE. Last year he was expected to play a more physical role in coverage which caused him to be whipped on. We have Lawson now and he is better at the game then Scott so its moot anyway

straight up for P. Manning! But in all seriousness, Denver's pass D is awful. They should want a safety ASAP. (getting abused by T. Williams, he's good, but not THAT good). They may be willing to trade their 1st and perhaps 3rd for Byrd. Their window for winning is closing this or next year because of Manning's age.

I mean...I understand that and all...I know the rules...But again, it's technicalities...He could have signed the tender, like most do, and had a full off season with the teammates he claims to care about so much...I think that gesture would have gone a long way towards Byrd getting what he wanted in the long run...But he (or his agent) wanted to make a point...Just like a holdout does...Then on top of it the PF issue comes up after he misses all that time...It's tough for me to have any consideration for Byrd's rights beyond the fact that he pushed his agenda within the rules...I understand it was his right to do so...I still think it was petty...He pretty much lost me as a fan right there...

Sure he had every right...Everybody has the right to be a d-bag if they want to... ;)

This is the best post about Byrd I have read so far!

Byrd has royally pissed me off this year. It was painfully obvious from his interviews that his heart is not in it to play for the Bills because he and his agent believe that the Bills have screwed him over. First he holds out, then he suddenly has an untreatable condition that also keeps him off the field and gets back at the Bills. If I'm Marrone, I don't want players who don't want to be here. By the same token, I would really not like to give away proven star NFL players like M. Lynch and J. Byrd. The Bills simply cannot afford to do that. If the Bills must rid themselves of Byrd then they must get something significant in return. In my view he is worth TWO R1 picks because PB safeties are hard to find. He's a stud just like his father was. I would seek a R1 and R3 pick (from a team with a projected poor record) OR possibly a R1 and a vet QB (even better). How about Byrd and a low draft pick for a R1 and QB B. Rothlisberger?? We desperately need help at QB.....even with Manuel. The Steelers just may be willing to part with Rberger because of his age and relatively poor performance. A. Williams and Leonhard are doing a capable job for us at safety. We need help at QB or we don't have a chance.

I am having trouble understanding how he is worth two first round picks but not worth the contract he was asking for? If he is that valuable, why not just pay him?

I totally agree because, hello-o, all the Bills were looking for from him was a gesture. Gestures are of far more value to an NFL franchise (and their fans) than top performance on the field. Players need to learn that a properly worded thank you card, a thoughtful gift or a bouquet of flowers is the surest way to a big contract and the respect of the fans. Their obsession with their own interests and being good football players while ignoring the simple niceties of good manners is mind boggling. Wouldn't we all have loved him so much more if he came to camp without a long term deal and suffered a career ending injury, ruining any hope he ever had of financial security for his family? Their is just no understanding this level of selfishness. Edited by Mickey

FWIW, Brandon on GR this morning was directly asked if they were actively shopping Byrd, and he completely denied it. Said they answer all incoming calls, but the idea of shopping Byrd hasn't even been discussed.

Good, he trade value is nowhere near where it could be. Let him play a few weeks and see where that takes him.

Good, he trade value is nowhere near where it could be. Let him play a few weeks and see where that takes him.

What clear thinking NFL team is going to give up a valuable draft pick for a high dollar rental player with no ability to lock him up past this season?

I'm betting Byrd is going nowhere other than back on the field with a #31 Bills Jersey on this season.

Well, waddya know?

@JoeBuscaglia

Jairus Byrd is practicing and taking defensive reps with the starting secondary

Healthy Gilmore? Healthy Byrd? Healthy Brooks? Aaron Williams back to playing SS? The way the rest of the Defense has been playing already? We might win some games here folks and I'm sure the Defense keeps us in on all of them.

Healthy Gilmore? Healthy Byrd? Healthy Brooks? Aaron Williams back to playing SS? The way the rest of the Defense has been playing already? We might win some games here folks and I'm sure the Defense keeps us in on all of them.

It will be nice to see them all back. i hope the O can put some points up and hold a lead into the scond half and force Dalton's arm to win it. Dalton is capable but i like the Bills chances if this is the case. To me that is when we will really see Pettine's scheme mixed with this talent shine.

Well, now that the cat's out of the bag and The Bills are open to trade offers for days now - where are the suitors for this Safety par-excellance?

I thought they'd be banging down the doors at OBD with their offers of players and picks to get him on their team right away. No? Why not? :o

Well, now that the cat's out of the bag and The Bills are open to trade offers for days now - where are the suitors for this Safety par-excellance?

I thought they'd be banging down the doors at OBD with their offers of players and picks to get him on their team right away. No? Why not? :o

As I said earlier: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/162474-bills-open-to-trading-byrd/page__st__240#entry2939983