A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

I'd not give him an F right now. I wouldn't give him a C either. I would give him an Incomplete.

Until the dust settles. Until we can wear the game film out. Until we hear from the coaches.

I am fine with the realization that EJ is a rookie.

I would give him an F today. He will get over it but he had no game today (like the majority of the team today).

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding point #9, I have not seen any indication that Freddie's skills are diminishing. His big run tonight was classic FJ - he eluded a wall of tacklers, accelerated away from the linbackers, and pulled his trademark swerve to add a good 15 plus yards to the run. Yes, he got run down by the CB, but he has never been known for his breakaway speed. I think he's still every bit the bad mofro he always was.

Bill's right. The LG situation is the one we should be angry about. The organization choose not to resign Levitre and then completely blew off finding a LG who could play at any reasonable level.

I remember how so many people on this board brushed off losing Levitre. Saying that Guards are a dime a dozen.

Wonder if they still believe in that sentiment.

1) I like Kiko more and more every time I see him play. This kid is a true football player.

2) Colin Brown was a disaster today, from what little I could see. I am wondering if those who were just so happy to let Levitre walk because he got a big contract are willing at all to re-think your stances. Just asking.

3) Lawson can play, ya know? He isn't a star, but the guy is involved in the game on every play. Players like Lawson can win you football games.

4) Spiller truly sucked today. 10 carries for 9 yards and 2 fumbles. If anyone who has called him one of the most dynamic players in football and a great draft selection by the Buffalo Bills wants to chime in, please do so. This deserves discussion, so go for it if you will.

5) Last week, I complained about the camera work. This week it was worse. They didn't show the QUARTERBACK on many plays. Maybe this is a method to force fanatics to purchase more from their providers. I really don't know, but it's a disgrace.

6) Going where the wind don't blow so strange.

Maybe on some high cold mountain range.

Lost one round but the price wasn't anything,

Knife in a back, and more of the same.....

Same old rat in a drain ditch

Out on a limb,

You know better but I know him.

7) Manuel truly did display growing pains today. I am not at all down on him, but he played a lousy game. And btw, I think that his knee is still limiting what he can do, especially in terms of running the football.

8) Stevie Johnson looked as if he played through injuries today, and came away with decent numbers. But his stupid, narcissistic penalties are leaving me with very little tolerance. VERY little. Seriously.

9) Fred Jackson is a football player. Make no mistake, his skills are rapidly diminishing, but he plays football in every phase and I am glad to have him on this football team.

10) Let me put this in question form.....was it any different when Dareus left the field? The answer is obvious and sad imo.

11) Moats played a nice game today, and seems to (hopefully) be developing into a good linebacker.

12) The Jets were penalized 20 times. 20 TIMES, and we lost the football game. Should we at least glance at the head coach in terms of how something like this can happen?

13) Woods should get more chances and Graham should get far fewer. Graham is simply a lousy player. Woods can play.

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100% agree Graham is not a player, might never be, woods will be great, MD99 is close to becoming lost cause, Kiko is going to to pay multiple visits to Hawaii.

the following players are not NFL starting quality:

Graham

Brown

Most of the current starting secondary

Also:

I'm ready to let spiller and MD99 go when it's time. They just aren't consistant players.

I remember how so many people on this board brushed off losing Levitre. Saying that Guards are a dime a dozen.

Never really gave it much thought......until today when I was thinking that it sure wouldn't hurt the running game to have Levitre in there........there was nothing doing...

It may be the coaching staffs thoughts here are that yes it's hurting him now, but once he settles down, may take all year, having run the hurry up he'd be ahead in the long run. Though could argue let him run this year at a normal pace, in the off season instill the hurry up for next year once EJ has more experience.

I've never coached football, but in most endeavors when someone is learning, you want them to start slow and become proficient at a slow pace then speed it up. Sometimes if you ask them to start fast, they never unlearn bad habits.

For some reason this reminds me of the Groucho Marx quote "A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."

You know: "Left guards are a dime a dozen. Send someone to fetch a dozen left guards". I think that the Bills thought amongst 4-5 second string/drafted/undrafted players they had a competent left guard. If it were only that simple, every football team would build a sound OL by doing this.

I do find myself wondering if there is some LG somewhere sitting on someone's practice squad or at home, who would be better than Colin Brown.

Once again, Sexy Rexy has scrutinized our film, found our weaknesses, and driven a wedge into them like 9 o'clock. Now everyone else in the NFL will be watching the Jets film and trying to copycat their approach until we prove we've fixed it.. Gailey never did adjust his approach for this fact.

Will Hackett and Marrone? On this question, hangs the Bills 2013 season.

Edited by Hopeful

My thoughts:

1.) We've seen what QBs who can't take the top off of a defense does to the offense. Fitzpatrick had those issues, Edwards had those issues; EJ is starting to worry me here, with his inaccurate throws on long balls. We need him to complete some to keep them honest.

2.) PFF said Colin Brown was the worst starter in all of the NFL so far this year. I think he lived up to that this game. I'm not against letting Levitre leave for that amount of money, but the Bills absolutely shouldn't have done it without a backup plan. And they sure as hell didn't have a backup plan.

3.) This secondary being depleted really hurts. Jets WRs basically had their way with our secondary. The Jets WRs. The terrible Jets WRs. The Jets WRs who hadn't had a touchdown in like 250+ passes (or whatever the stat CBS showed).

4.) Hackett's offensive scheme is terrible. It feels like the Steve Fairchild run, run, pass, punt offense all over again. They also don't show a lot of creativity; Chan was excellent getting Spiller and SJ13 the ball in some space. Where are the quick slants to Spiller and Stevie? Where are the screen passes? Where are the swing passes?

5.) Is there anyone in the NFL that had a worse day than Justin Rogers? Kinda feel bad for the guy being thrown in that spot, but my lord.

6.) Is this a strength and condition problem? Why do the Bills get bit by the injury bug year after year?

7.) I'm so far unimpressed by our WR group. THere were lots of times today all the WRs were covered, and CBS even pointed it out. Graham seems awful, Woods doesn't seem to get open. I know SJ13 doesn't create a lot of space, but the person who seemed to create the most was Chandler - a guy who, while I lik ehim, doesn't seem like he would be a burner or run great routes. Hoping Goodwin can change this when he gets back.

8.) Bilal Powell ran for 150+ yards, and by far the worst problems on our defense weren't the run game. Ouch.

Edited by BlueFire

Since Ryan got there, the Bills get physcially manhandled and outworked all day long every time they play the Jets. Every time.

You've noticed that too, huh? It is the difference between good coaching and poor coaching.

The left side of the line got worked today. Brown is not an excuse for a total lack of production from Spiller. We almost exclusively run away from Brown. Spiller losing 5 instead of gaining 2 is all on him not this OL. Those guys aren't helping CJ, but he is making them look twice as bad. Scheming is an issue. Chan was great at scheming Spiller into space.

I am going to say it. Flame away if you will, not trolling. This roster with Pettine at DC and Chan at the helm with the offense would be in a much better place. We seriously miss his scheming. EJ with some of those timing routes in the spread with his arm, plus Spiller in space would be nuts

You know: "Left guards are a dime a dozen. Send someone to fetch a dozen left guards". I think that the Bills thought amongst 4-5 second string/drafted/undrafted players they had a competent left guard. If it were only that simple, every football team would build a sound OL by doing this.

Of the 64 starting OGs in the league, half of them(32) were drafted after the 3rd round(4th round - undrafted).

Over a quarter of them(18) were drafted after the 5th round(6th round - undrafted).

This doesn't mean that they are a dime a dozen.....but since nearly every team in the NFL finds at least one guard from your theoretical second string/drafted/undrafted players, the fact that the Bills took a shot at finding an OG from this group is not a hangable offence IMO.

List of starters below(4th+ rounds)

4th Round

NYJ: Willie Colon

CIN: Clint Boling

IND: Mike McGlynn

PHIL: Todd Herremans

WASH: Kory Lichtensteiger

DET: Dylan Gandy

DET: Rob Sims

GB: TJ Lang

GB: Josh Sitton

NO: Jahri Evans

5th Round

BUF: Colin Brown

CLE: Jason Pinkston

JAX: Uche Nwaneri

ATL: Garrett Reynolds

6th Round

IND: Donald Thomas

SD: Jeromey Clary

CHI: Matt Slauson

MIN: Brandon Fusco

MIN: Charlie Johnson

NYG: Kevin Boothe

7th Round

DAL: Mackenzy Bernadeau

SEA: JR Sweezy

ARI: Paul Fanaika

Undrafted

NE: Daniel Connolly

MIA: Richie Incognito

PIT: Ramon Foster

JAX: Will Rackley

OAK: Mike Brisiel

DAL: Ronald Leary

CAR: Garry Williams

STL: Harvey Dahl

SF: Alex Boone

Notwithstanding the 20M in cap room they possess.

They finally realize, after Nix was effectively moved to GM emeritus, that they need a QB. But not before they allow their best OL out the door and thus make that rookie QB's life more difficult by plugging in NFL retreads like Colin Brown.

I usually agree with your thoughts ..today no different except - Moats played a nice game today, and seems to (hopefully) be developing into a good linebacker.

Totally agree on Stevie dude your 27 years old now, grow up. Chan pulled your ass last year and it might happen again- the guy doesn't get it. He's a good player although not a #1 but he plays hard everyweek so he gets a free idiot play weekly? Be a leader stay off the radio

1) I like Kiko more and more every time I see him play. This kid is a true football player.

2) Colin Brown was a disaster today, from what little I could see. I am wondering if those who were just so happy to let Levitre walk because he got a big contract are willing at all to re-think your stances. Just asking.

3) Lawson can play, ya know? He isn't a star, but the guy is involved in the game on every play. Players like Lawson can win you football games.

4) Spiller truly sucked today. 10 carries for 9 yards and 2 fumbles. If anyone who has called him one of the most dynamic players in football and a great draft selection by the Buffalo Bills wants to chime in, please do so. This deserves discussion, so go for it if you will.

5) Last week, I complained about the camera work. This week it was worse. They didn't show the QUARTERBACK on many plays. Maybe this is a method to force fanatics to purchase more from their providers. I really don't know, but it's a disgrace.

Out on a limb,

7) Manuel truly did display growing pains today. I am not at all down on him, but he played a lousy game. And btw, I think that his knee is still limiting what he can do, especially in terms of running the football.

8) Stevie Johnson looked as if he played through injuries today, and came away with decent numbers. But his stupid, narcissistic penalties are leaving me with very little tolerance. VERY little. Seriously.

9) Fred Jackson is a football player. Make no mistake, his skills are rapidly diminishing, but he plays football in every phase and I am glad to have him on this football team.

10) Let me put this in question form.....was it any different when Dareus left the field? The answer is obvious and sad imo.

11) Moats played a nice game today, and seems to (hopefully) be developing into a good linebacker.

12) The Jets were penalized 20 times. 20 TIMES, and we lost the football game. Should we at least glance at the head coach in terms of how something like this can happen?

13) Woods should get more chances and Graham should get far fewer. Graham is simply a lousy player. Woods can play.

Agree on many of these points, especially the positive ones regarding Kiko, Lawson, Woods, Fred and Moats.

A few points I take contention with are:

CJ... We have not run one play this season, ONE PLAY, that gives him an opportunity to operate in any kind of space. Did Hackett look at any of the film from alst year? The screen pass was so effective for us, and we OVER used it. Maybe one or two screen occasionally where CJ has the chance to make people miss in the open field would work. Has anybody forget that we used to use him as a WR? Maybe split him out and throw a quick screen? CJ makes people miss, he's faster and shiftier than almost anyone in the league. Please Hackett, play to some of his strengths a little more.

Stevie... One of, if not the best, game changing playmakers we have on the team. We were in this game because of the plays he made. Stevie is a hell of a player. Sometimes his competitiveness makes him forget himself. I'll take that guy any day over almost anyone. So glad he is a Buffalo Bill.

A lot needs cleaned up on this team. But I like a lot of the guys we have. Keep learning EJ/Hackett, and please learn/adjust from mistakes. The heart and effort is there because of leaders like CJ, SJ, Kyle, etc. Just hope they stay hungry and want to win, win win. Go Bills.

EJ was not good today but he did not turn it over either. He needs to learn how to throw it away when nothing is there. The game was lost because the Bills big men got their collective butts kicked by the Jets big men on both sides of the ball. Geno had time to throw and EJ did not. The Jets had running lanes the Bills did not. The early loss of our starting corner was also a huge factor. I do think Easley or Hagen need to get a shot at WR. The only thing that kept this game close were the Jets turnovers and penalties. I am glad they found the TE in the second half. Stevie Johnson has to stop getting penalized we just can't afford to give away those opportunities. I liked the way Leonard and Alonso have stepped up. I thought the butt kicking by the jets was complete and they should have hung fifty points on the Bills.

1. Rogers is a tire fire period. Not doubling his man every damn play was a mistake. Can we please sign a cb now!

2. Ok so lets just say we play without a LG would there be a difference? The way Brown is playing he would be benched on a HS team.

3. EJ struggled today. Happy feet till the drive that tied it. His ball placement was horrendous and timing was off. Lots of throws off his back foot. Yes he was pressured but why in the hell did we wait till the end of the 3rd qtr to keep the ball on that stupid ass option play when it has been open for 15 yrds since the pats game.

4. Nate nate Nate, can u please make up 1 or 2 running plays with a damn full back and stop that stupid one play (our only running play) were EJ pretends to keep and CJ looses 5 yrds on the strung out play to the side line cause our guards cant stop any d tackle in the league?

5. I know were growing and i know all will be forgotten once we get win #2 but wow gave away yet another opportunity and its still frustrating.

6. When o when will we win a game against the damn Jets when its not to f up our draft position????? Yea i know maybe next year.

a tale of two teams...http://www.rotoworld...s-2-1-jets-roll

Bilal Powell totals 158 yds as 2-1 Jets roll

6594.jpg

Bilal Powell rushed 27 times for 149 yards and caught two passes for nine yards in the Jets' Week 3 win over Buffalo.

Jets normally pass-happy playcaller Marty Mornhinweg showed a commitment to the run in this game despite the early-game hamstring injury to Chris Ivory. Powell's 29 touches are a single-game career high, and he's now in line to carry the mail in the Jets' backfield with Ivory out of commission. Although Powell's talent is limited, volume can obviously buoy rushing production, and he is used heavily in the passing game. The Jets play the Titans next.

Santonio Holmes lights up Bills D for 5-154-1

3635.jpg

Santonio Holmes caught five balls for 154 yards and a touchdown in the Jets' Week 3 win over Buffalo, 27-20.

Holmes faced Bills backup CB Justin Rogers for most of the game -- so you can take this with a grain of salt in that respect -- but he looked dynamic and like the Santonio of old all day long, separating from defenders and making plays down the field. Holmes will inevitably be inconsistent in fantasy because he plays with a rookie quarterback in a shaky offense, but he'll be worth strong WR3 consideration during upcoming bye-week crunches.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5566.jpg

The Bills announced in the third quarter of Sunday's game that C.J. Spiller is done for the day with a knee injury.

We didn't see the injury happen. We did see Spiller standing on the sideline with helmet in hand, and Fred Jackson gobbling up all of the Bills' running back snaps. Spiller had his knee wrapped and ice on the joint. Hopefully coach Doug Marrone will have an update after the game. Bottled up by a gang-tackling Jets defense, Spiller managed 10 carries for nine yards and one catch for one yard in Buffalo's Week 3 defeat.

The Patriots stacked the box and were also able to contain Spiller. I look at this game and see more ineptitude in the Bills O line, play calls, coaching, rather then in CJ Spiller. The man was able to average over 6.0 YPC last season in Chan Gaileys offense, and is now around 1/2 that after taking away one single long 46 yard run

If the running game is working properly, it has a huge effect on a rookie QB's ability to play well. Obviously Geno looked like he had ample time in the pocket to make any throw he wanted. Conversely, EJ didn't have that much time and yet he didn't throw any INT's. meanwhile Geno threw 2 INT's against a lousy Bills defense.

The Bills made the right call on drafting EJ, now they just need to get healthy in the defensive secondary, upgrade the line, and play calls.

Edited by FeartheLosing

1. Rogers is a tire fire period. Not doubling his man every damn play was a mistake. Can we please sign a cb now!

2. Ok so lets just say we play without a LG would there be a difference? The way Brown is playing he would be benched on a HS team.

3. EJ struggled today. Happy feet till the drive that tied it. His ball placement was horrendous and timing was off. Lots of throws off his back foot. Yes he was pressured but why in the hell did we wait till the end of the 3rd qtr to keep the ball on that stupid ass option play when it has been open for 15 yrds since the pats game.

4. Nate nate Nate, can u please make up 1 or 2 running plays with a damn full back and stop that stupid one play (our only running play) were EJ pretends to keep and CJ looses 5 yrds on the strung out play to the side line cause our guards cant stop any d tackle in the league?

5. I know were growing and i know all will be forgotten once we get win #2 but wow gave away yet another opportunity and its still frustrating.

6. When o when will we win a game against the damn Jets when its not to f up our draft position????? Yea i know maybe next year.

All good points, but number 4 is the most glaring. Seeing the same running play over and over has gotten the Bills nowhere.

The coaches have got to make changes in the offensive play calling.

How many times do they expect the defense to keep the entire team in games.

Despite the big games by Powell and Holmes, the Bills had a chance to win this game.

Getting 6 points as a result of two turnovers is not going to cut it.

1. EJ Struggled with the deep passes, but did not turn over the ball under heavy pressure. Besides two long passes, he out played Geno.

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

On another note. Note to Hackett Jr.: When the defense is getting max pressure and coming with no abandon, a screen pass is in order.

Edited by reddogblitz

I noticed you said Kiko, Lawson and Moats all played well yesterday. If that's the case who was responsible for the horrendous run D? It's not all on the DLine and the Bills have had weak run stopping LBs for the past several seasons and I see nothing that's changed. Kiko made some nice stops here and there but everybody else in the front 7 has been just horrible and Kiko was out of position on several plays too (though I'll cut him some slack.)

People seem to have glossed over this with EJ's and Roger's struggles yesterday but the RUN D WAS HORRENDOUS ONCE AGAIN. Nothing, I repeat, nothing has been fixed.

On another note. Note to Hackett Jr.: When the defense is getting max pressure and coming with no abandon, a screen pass is in order.

Yeah, I'm confused on this one too. Why were no receivers cutting off their routes when they saw pre-snap the Jets' were blitzing? They all went on go routes (which EJ would throw out of bounds.) At some point you have to give the kid another option. A slant, a curl - anything.

Oh, and I'll add that it's interesting that after all this time and all these player additions that Fred Jackson is still the most consistent player on the field. He shows up every game when nobody else does.

Edited by MDH

Just because Wilson outdouched Stevie doesn't excuse his idiocy. That was a selfish moronic play.

Perfect summary. And btw, your earlier point wrt the hurry-up is not to be taken lightly. As head coach, if Marrone says, "slow it down" they would have to do so. Given this, I am not going to place all of the game on the OC. Marrone needs to take a more active roll if something isn't working.

Perfect summary. And btw, your earlier point wrt the hurry-up is not to be taken lightly. As head coach, if Marrone says, "slow it down" they would have to do so. Given this, I am not going to place all of the game on the OC. Marrone needs to take a more active roll if something isn't working.

I have hated this hyper scheme since day 1. A variant is getting Vick killed in Philly too. You take a big X, draw it 4 yards behind center, and tell all rushing lineman to go to the X. Roll outs if they happen are easy to see. The QB is not going into a 5 or 7 step drop (the consistency of which would help his footwork tremendously instead of always receiving the ball still). The idea that a rookie QB working with all new players couldn't benefit from some time in the huddle, or that his OC might not call a better play given 20 more seconds, is ludicrous. Hackett should blow this up now before it's his job and he really hurts EJ's development.

Jesus, even when Tom Brady runs the no huddle, he takes a lot of time at the line directing his guys. Poor EJ just goes up and runs the play with no time to analyze and direct everyone. This kid is a good QB in the making. The coaches need to help him though. How about no more go routes tight to the sideline when the blitz is coming? How about a screen play now and then when the blitz is on? How about more slants, since that seems to be a pass EJ is comfortable with and the WRs get separation on? The hooks are zero separation routes for these WRs and/or EJ isn't comfortable with them right now.

Edited by John Adams

I have hated this hyper scheme since day 1. A variant is getting Vick killed in Philly too. You take a big X, draw it 4 yards behind center, and tell all rushing lineman to go to the X. Roll outs if they happen are easy to see. The QB is not going into a 5 or 7 step drop (the consistency of which would help his footwork tremendously instead of always receiving the ball still). The idea that a rookie QB working with all new players couldn't benefit from some time in the huddle, or that his OC might not call a better play given 20 more seconds, is ludicrous. Hackett should blow this up now before it's his job and he really hurts EJ's development.

Jesus, even when Tom Brady runs the no huddle, he takes a lot of time at the line directing his guys. Poor EJ just goes up and runs the play with no time to analyze and direct everyone. This kid is a good QB in the making. The coaches need to help him though. How about no more go routes tight to the sideline when the blitz is coming? How about a screen play now and then when the blitz is on? How about more slants, since that seems to be a pass EJ is comfortable with and the WRs get separation on? The hooks are zero separation routes for these WRs and/or EJ isn't comfortable with them right now.

Couldn't agree more. You have to put the Kid in a position to succeed...You can't have him carry the weight of this team on his shoulders...

Good post Bill. Agreed on almost all counts. It took three weeks but we finally saw a rookie at QB. The really sad thing is that if Gilmore and McKelvin are playing I don't think the Jets score a single TD. Rogers is an absolute liability -- that guy should never be asked to cover NFL receivers, or even the ones the Jets have.

With all of these injuries who knows what sort of defense the Bills will be fielding next week.

20 penalties and a +2 in turnovers...you don't expect to lose those ones.

Damn this team.

It was ugly. No doubt about it. Good observations as always. Can't hang this all on Rogers though. He was being targeted and needed some safety help, which he never got. A couple of those long ones may have been offensive PI. Anyway, they have a lot of work to do on both sides of the ball if they are going to get things corrected in time for next week. Hoping that they can learn from this one and put it behind them. Remember, Rex Ryan had a couple extra days to game plan for this one. Seems it did make a difference.

The Bills were shredded on both lines of scrimmage. If not for the Jets constantly imploding with stupidity, the scoreboard would have been lopsided.

I remember a lot of posters here pre-season explaing that at the very least, the Bills will be better than the Jets.

Good post Bill. Agreed on almost all counts. It took three weeks but we finally saw a rookie at QB. The really sad thing is that if Gilmore and McKelvin are playing I don't think the Jets score a single TD. Rogers is an absolute liability -- that guy should never be asked to cover NFL receivers, or even the ones the Jets have.

With all of these injuries who knows what sort of defense the Bills will be fielding next week.

20 penalties and a +2 in turnovers...you don't expect to lose those ones.

Damn this team.

I'm waiting for you to weigh in on the Left Guard situation eball. You've been quick to tell us all season that having Levitre wouldn't make a difference. I'm wondering if you're still going to push that one.

Out on a limb,

Let's be brutally frank here and describe where the Bills were before the season even started. The Bills were little better than an expansion team starting a rookie qb. This organization is starting over after the butchering done by Levy/Brandon/Nix regimes. There is no quick fix for an organization that prides itself in winning the battle of the contracts over the battles fought on the field. If you expected a dramatic turn around from an organization that is $20 M under the cap then you are not being realistic. Not only are the Bills grossly under the cap but they are rolling some of their cap money into next year. You may be asking what is my point? My point is that the Bills are working under the same business model that they have worked under for the past generation. That type of confining structure can be overcome with a lot of organizational savvy and exceptional talent evaluations. Right now our organization isn't at that lofty level. And to make the challenge even more imposing we are catching up on a lot of lost ground caused by the prior decisnon-makers.

The Bills are on a three year rebuilding project. It is going to be done primarily with draft picks. Pointing out our team's weaknesses is not much of a challenge. DBs, DL and OL etc. Some of the players starting for us not only shouldn't be starters but they shouldn't be in this league. In other words there is a dearth of talent on the roster.

The primary issue this season is determining whether EJ is a legitimate franchise qb. Everything else is secondary. EJ is a much rawer qb than Luck/RGIII/Wilson. Yesterday he was dreadful. How many balls did he throw out of bounds without giving his receivers a chance to catch it? But that happens when you have a rookie qb on a bad team with an OL that can be overwhelmed. EJ is going to have uneven performances. That's simply part of the developmental process that can't be avoided. Another thing to watch this year is how our rookie crop does. The won/lost record shouldn't be the central focus for the loyal fans because at this point we are not a serious team. So it really doesn't matter. It is mostly about player development.

Bill, you have this view that number one picks shouldn't be used on CBs in the draft. Yesterday was a clear demonstration why it is a high priority position. How many big plays did the Jets have on Rogers's side? You may be enamored with Searcy but I'm not. He can't cover. He may be good in the box but because he can't cover he is a liability for us.

Marcel Dareus is a solid takcle. But when Branch plays his spot there isn't much of a difference in play. Dareus was a very high selection who was taken over players such as AJ Green and Peterson. The value of that high pick has been squandered, as has most of Nix's picks have been wasted.

You and others enjoy blasting Spiller. What was most outrageous about Spiller's play was not his performance but the way he was utilized. Continuously running him up the gut was an absurdity. If the OC is going to poorly use his talents then why not go all the way and be the dumbest you can be by making him a blocking back? Where is the common sense? It's crazy!

The point of my post is that the road is going to be long and painful. Anyone who expected otherwise is being unrealistic. This year is going to be the same as the past dozen years where when we get to the halfway point we will be talking about the draft more than the games. That is the price one pays for accumulated ineptitude.

I'm waiting for you to weigh in on the Left Guard situation eball. You've been quick to tell us all season that having Levitre wouldn't make a difference. I'm wondering if you're still going to push that one.

I've said nothing of the sort (and please quote me if you can find something to the contrary). Through the first two weeks of the season the OL play has not been a negative factor; yesterday it was. I've not suggested Brown is good or even adequate; my comments have been largely limited to overall line play and the Bills' ability to run and not take sacks. Clearly, everything blew up yesterday against a very good defense.

I've been a huge fan of having an effective offensive line to have an effective offense. Letting Levitre go was a costly mistake that will show up all season. Manuel played like a rookie qb who had no time to pass or to effectively read the field. On the other hand...rookies at critical positions, new coaching staff and and a new offensive and defensive philosophy will warrant growing pain games...this was one of them. I'm still saying six wins will be fine, eight a great stretch goal.

I agree 100% that Marcel Dareus is the Invisible Man. Just another guy. He's consistent, solid...but not a game changing defensive player that'd you'd desire from that high of a draft selection.

I believe CJ's ineffectiveness is sort of like the ineffectiveness of Chris Johnson from time to time. They are running backs that thrive in certain schemes. He thrived in Gaileys, not Hackett's.

Although we have new coaches, it appears that the Bills still suffer from generally lousy play callilng (no screens for a team that *was* surgical at their execution) and zero ability to adjust at the half.

Sigh.

Rex coached like T Rex today :worthy: . I give credit where credit is do.

I assume you missed the part where he wasted all his challenges and could not challenge the Manuel fumble that was ruled not a fumble? That was potentially a game losing mistake.

Stevie's taunt caused Wilson to lose his cool. He was flagged 3 times on that drive. I think it all worked out OK.

SJ13 made yet another stupid mistake. It's just that the Jet was able to surpass his stupidity.

And for what it's worth, the last call on the Jet was no penalty. It was SJ13 diving.

Edited by CodeMonkey

2) I agree Brown is a train wreck. But letting Levitre walk was the right decision. Players on specific units compare their contracts with each other. If a player knows he's the most valuable guy on the DL, for example, he's going to want a contract that's significantly larger than the second-most valuable DL's. The Titans vastly overpaid for Levitre. Had the Bills offered to overpay Levitre by an even greater margin, then that would have driven up the price tag for Wood and Glenn. The correct solution to the problem at LG is to use a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on Levitre's replacement.

4) I agree Spiller had a bad day. That said, neither his OL nor his offensive coordinator did him any favors at all. Spiller is a race car, and Hackett is playing him like he's a dump truck. If the Bills could get a real LG and a real offensive coordinator, I'd expect Spiller's production to come a lot closer to what he achieved last year.

7) I agree Manuel had a lousy game.

8) Stevie Johnson is one of the best players on the team. His occasional penalties and other lapses are frustrating. But this team isn't exactly bursting with talent. On the rare occasions when we do attain a talented, productive player, we should emphasize the positive more strongly than the negative.

10) I wish the Bills had used the 3rd overall pick on A.J. Green rather than Dareus.

13) I completely agree that the Bills should give more chances to Woods. I'd also like to see them ease Easley into the starting lineup. I guess the theory behind Graham is that it's best to have a deep burner to open up the underneath stuff. I agree with the theory, but not necessarily with Graham being the guy to make that theory work.

2) I agree Brown is a train wreck. But letting Levitre walk was the right decision. Players on specific units compare their contracts with each other. If a player knows he's the most valuable guy on the DL, for example, he's going to want a contract that's significantly larger than the second-most valuable DL's. The Titans vastly overpaid for Levitre. Had the Bills offered to overpay Levitre by an even greater margin, then that would have driven up the price tag for Wood and Glenn. The correct solution to the problem at LG is to use a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on Levitre's replacement.

Fair argument, but there is an other solution, which is to find an adequate stopgap in free agency. Ironically the Bills had one in Reinhardt and let him walk. Under no circumstances is it a reasonable solution to go into the season with no LG on the roster. Someone ought to be held accountable for that decision other than EJ, who is the one dealing with its consequences.

Fair argument, but there is an other solution, which is to find an adequate stopgap in free agency. Ironically the Bills had one in Reinhardt and let him walk. Under no circumstances is it a reasonable solution to go into the season with no LG on the roster. Someone ought to be held accountable for that decision other than EJ, who is the one dealing with its consequences.

And that's what make it particularly infuriating. It would be one thing if they still had a stop-gap QB like Fitzpatrick, but here they are supposed to be developing their long term solution at QB and they blow off finding a replacement at LG. Who does that?? Certainly not the Jets and witness the results yesterday.

Hate to say it folks, but Geno Smith's development is going to far outpace EJ's this season.