Bills plan for Tuel as week 1 starter

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why people keep thinking EJ will be the savior in this game. He would more than likely be a liability.

That's not what I was talking about, but care to explain why you think the team's #1 QB would be more of a liability than the player the team saw fit not to draft?

"

Manuel worked out with trainers on Sunday and is coming along well, but it’s too early for the trainers and coaches to ascertain whether or not Manuel will be cleared for practice next week.

“He’s working back so he’s actually starting to move around now which is a good sign,” said Marrone of Manuel. “Then it’s just a matter of how he heals and then when he’s back he’ll be our quarterback.”

Knowing Manuel has been on the shelf for the past week it would be a challenge for him to start against the Patriots without a full week of practice leading up to the game."

I just read the story on the Bills web page and it seems a touch like the 1993 championship game when Marv wasn't sure Kelly would be playing due to his knee. After the game, the press asked Marv if he was playing "possum" given Kelly looks fine on his "runs" or as fine as Kelly ever looked running.

We are two weeks away from opening day, Kolb is a hot mess and could possibly be a last day cut since Leinhart can hold a clip board just as well as Kolb and is less fragile. EJ could be the day 1 starter if he can practice next week. If not, lets hope the offense's system works and Tuel Time can be as memorable as Doing the Reich Thing!

I think its a good coaching move. A lot of coaches would dumb down the offense and jam a vet in there just to play it safe.

They should give EJ more time and hold him out ... especially if, as many in this tread are predicting, the will get rolled by NE anyways. Give EJ an extra week to heel and then prepare him for week 2(unless, of course, Tuel lights it up).

Tuell is probably the best bet right now. Leinert isn't all that good to begin with and he doesn't know the offense. Tuell is almost certainly the back-up so we might as well roll with him and see what we have. If he poops the bed, we can throw Leinart in to finish the game. Tough break, but the game is one where there are tough breaks and you have to deal with them.

So let me the first to start this thought. If Tuel plays decently enough to beat the Pats* and EJ is ready after that game, who starts game 2?

I was thinking the same thing earlier today. I guess you have to roll with the hot hand (Tuel). Depends on how he plays also. If he is 10-25 with no TD's and Spiller goes nuts, then EJ. But if it's something like 20-25, 200 yrds, 2TD's, gotta stay with Tuel.

The Bills have the worst luck ever, but at least we have had a pretty good kicking game since Scott Norwood's miss.

No, the Jets QB situation is MUCH more of a mess. So, at least we can amuse ourselves with that! And I think Tuel will be fine. He has a lot of weapons to give the ball to. He hasn't been turnover prone. Put some good checkdowns to CJ and short throws in there, he should be okay.

CJ & FJ are going to touch the ball 80% of the time no matter who starts. Man I hope the D comes to play week one.

If the D comes to play, we will be fine. If not, won't matter who is at QB. Key will be hitting Brady the majority of times he drops back, and jamming his (mostly rookie) WR's at the line so he can't get off those short timing passes he loves.

Did anyone ever stop and think that Marrone is doing this ON PURPOSE to make Billy boy think Manuel will not start Week One to screw up his preparation?

OK, continue with the sky is falling talk... :doh:

Exactly, it's a giant smokescreen. I can't believe everyone is missing the obvious.

Did anyone ever stop and think that Marrone is doing this ON PURPOSE to make Billy boy think Manuel will not start Week One to screw up his preparation?

No.

Doesn't mean that EJ won't start. But I don't think this is just a smokescreen.

Edited by microscopes

However, at that point of the season, the past will have no meaning. The QB helping the team win is all that matters at that time. My argument would be different if we are looking at a situation similar to AlexSmith-Kaepernick last year. It was entirely evident that for all the winning that SF was doing, Kaepernick could lift the team to greater heights. Hence, the decision to continue with CK was the right one. I just do not see Marrone benching a winning hand. Finally, if this situation indeed comes to pass, we will be in a very happy place and beats the alternative (all QBs sucking).

The problem with your logic is that you are assuming if Tuel does well, that means he is doing better than Manuel would do.

Tuel could do pretty well, and Manuel might still be better. In fact, all the prior stuff speaks to that.

Dunno if you noticed....but the sky fell a long time ago.

Marrone's offense at SU leaned heavily on the run and short passes to RB's and TE's. I suspect Tuel will be leading a very conservative offense against NE if he starts. Not a bad thing but I just wouldn't count on him throwing frozen ropes down the middle of the field.

I think the last and maybe only other time a undrafted rookie started at QB in week one was 1976 with Jim Zorn of the Seattle Seahawks.

One article said 1967 but didn't give any more details. Either way it's been a long time.

I think the last and maybe only other time a undrafted rookie started at QB in week one was 1976 with Jim Zorn of the Seattle Seahawks.

Zorn wasn't a rookie when he started for the Seahawks. He spent the previous year with the Cowboys at least in TC.

Haven't had time to read an etire article, only hightlihgts....doesn't Marrone say that they are preparing to start Tuel in week 1? That is slightly different than saying Tuel is going to be the starter on week 1. Tuel is the #1 guy, right now, week 4 of preseason, but that could change next week, if EJ is ready.

You actually think he'll see anything so completely vanilla when the games begin to count? He'll be exposed as a QB who's simply not ready and it will not be pretty!

Again I ask. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but who else are we going to play? If Manuel isn't back for week 1 Tuel gives us the best option. If we lose one game then we lose one game...Injurys happen.

I wasn't planning on the Bills to win the AFC East anyway, if we go to the Playoffs it will be through a wildcard.

A new QB controversy.. Wouldn't it be a nice problem if he played really well and then EJ gets healthy?

That's what I'm hoping.

Edited by Braedenstearns

Go get em', Tuel!

I'm sure its happened before, anyone know the last time a UDFA rookie QB started Week One?

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Marrone-Planning-on-Jeff-Tuel-to-start-Week-1/9ef8833e-dba2-47b9-aa04-4b65c6565205

For Tuel he could become an NFL first as according to the Elias Sports Bureau an undrafted rookie has never started a season opener at quarterback in the modern era. The last time it happened was 1967.

“That’s cool,” said Tuel. “It would definitely be an honor if that’s the case. I’m surprised that I’m the first, but if that’s the case it’s a cool thing.”

Again I ask. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but who else are we going to play? If Manuel isn't back for week 1 Tuel gives us the best option. If we lose one game then we lose one game...Injurys happen.

I wasn't planning on the Bills to win the AFC East anyway, if we go to the Playoffs it will be through a wildcard.

You'd have to go with Tuel in lieu of EJ's availability given Tuel's familiarity with the offensive system. Still hoping like hell it doesn't actually come to fruition.

Any though of Playoffs this season seem overly ambitious to me.

My guess is Tuel keeps starting as long at the Bills are winning. Go with the hot hand, etc.

That is not what Marrone said today. He said when EJ is ready, he will be the QB, and they are still hoping that will be NE. They will not really know until they see where he is next week.

Haven't had time to read an etire article, only hightlihgts....doesn't Marrone say that they are preparing to start Tuel in week 1? That is slightly different than saying Tuel is going to be the starter on week 1. Tuel is the #1 guy, right now, week 4 of preseason, but that could change next week, if EJ is ready.

Exactly what he said.

You plan on being in a business venture that has about one week worth of viability? You'd better hurry! :lol:

And when he's Super Bowl MVP ill be a millionaire and then you will work for me and then I'm going to fire you for not believing in my dreams!

You'd have to go with Tuel in lieu of EJ's availability given Tuel's familiarity with the offensive system. Still hoping like hell it doesn't actually come to fruition.

Any though of Playoffs this season seem overly ambitious to me.

Ya I don't think we will make the playoffs either.

CJ & FJ are going to touch the ball 80% of the time no matter who starts. Man I hope the D comes to play week one.

this .... and just like last year, this team will win or lose based on how well the Defense can, or cannot, stop the run against them. But yes, feed the running backs, and don't let up

My guess is Tuel keeps starting as long at the Bills are winning. Go with the hot hand, etc.

just because we win doesnt mean he is the hot hand. Were talking a rook udfa who hasnt seen an NFL defense promo. And now with Gilmoore out its leodis and brooks back there. Im not optimistic at all. This may be a very ugly season. Im not saying it will but the potential is there for this to be a 2 n 14 type.