Doug Marrone grows irritated

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the media (rather than Marrone) should get a thick skin. I read the Buffalo News characterization of this and they used terms like Marrone "shot at him" etc. Before I heard the audio and saw the video, I thought that I was going to hear a shouting match. Instead, I heard Marrone merely being frustrated having to hear the same questions when he does not have the answers yet.

Edited by Peter

I like his response. What good does it do to keep pressing him for information if he doesn't have it? One of the problems with the 24-hour, always-on news cycle is that actual events do not necessarily unfold according to that schedule. If Williams is still being evaluated and the doctors do not yet have a diagnosis, you can ask 50,000 times but if you do, let's not pretend it's about informing anyone.

that is a WEAK performance by Marrone......in fact, i'd call it Amateurish.

you might be able to bully your way around the media in college.....

but that crap doesn't work in the NFL.

Let's see, your highest paid player on the entire team is NOT at practice......and you don't have anymore information than you did at this time yesterday ??.....LAUGHABLE !!

That video makes me love Marrone even more...

I'm guessing we'll find out more about Mario when the Bills are good and ready to tell us. Decides, they'll break that news to Brown or Murphy, not JW or Graham.

I like his response. What good does it do to keep pressing him for information if he doesn't have it? One of the problems with the 24-hour, always-on news cycle is that actual events do not necessarily unfold according to that schedule. If Williams is still being evaluated and the doctors do not yet have a diagnosis, you can ask 50,000 times but if you do, let's not pretend it's about informing anyone.

It's ridiculous. I watched one of the latest Doug Whaley conferences. Literally just kept asking him about Byrd over and over. Morons.

that is a WEAK performance by Marrone......in fact, i'd call it Amateurish.

you might be able to bully your way around the media in college.....

but that crap doesn't work in the NFL.

Let's see, your highest paid player on the entire team is NOT at practice......and you don't have anymore information than you did at this time yesterday ??.....LAUGHABLE !!

Are you being sarcastic ? What part of his quotes can be considered 'bullying' ?

Simple and plain: The team needs to say something about Mario. He's still getting evaluated, we're getting a second opinion. He's coming back after a few days rest. We're putting him on PUP. Whatever. They need to say something. You can't put your coach out there like this day after day without some form of information. What do you expect from the media? It's their job to ask these questions...over and over and over again until they get some nugget, an answer or get this reaction.

From what I've seen, he was the same way with the media at Syracuse. I appreciate him putting reporters in their place, but I also don't want a coach that is known for his temper with the media, rather than his coaching prowess. Say what you will about Chan, but he was a forthcoming "straight shooter" that rarely lost his cool with the media.

you cant say chink!

It's OK...Wang's no longer on the team.

The problem seems to lie in the constant need to feed the blogs that the Snooze and other outlets now run on their websites. Unlike in the 'old days,' when reporters filed one story a day and then hit their favorite watering hole, the blogosphere "beast" needs to be constantly fed, even when there's no news to report...

It's OK...Wang's no longer on the team.

The problem seems to lie in the constant need to feed the blogs that the Snooze and other outlets now run on their websites. Unlike in the 'old days,' when reporters filed one story a day and then hit their favorite watering hole, the blogosphere "beast" needs to be constantly fed, even when there's no news to report...

Spot on

Simple and plain: The team needs to say something about Mario. He's still getting evaluated, we're getting a second opinion. He's coming back after a few days rest. We're putting him on PUP. Whatever. They need to say something. You can't put your coach out there like this day after day without some form of information. What do you expect from the media? It's their job to ask these questions...over and over and over again until they get some nugget, an answer or get this reaction.

If that's really their job, that's a sad commentary on the current media climate.

I think this is fair. The lack of information is equally as puzzling as the question(s). One likely begets the other. If we 'turn' the situation and Marrone offers some fluff answer and the reporters don't push the issue....we are calling them out for not being 'investigative' enough. In this scenario, they may have pushed a bit too much but there's a lot of variables. Reporters...and coaches...are human and allowed to have off moments. Either way, I didn't think this particular exchange was terrible by JW or the coach. non-issue in my mind.

Edit: Oh...and a foot 'evaluation,' with every imaginable resource available to him as a multi-million dollar athlete with the Bills behind him, shouldn't take 48 hours to complete. That's laughable. Give me a working diagnosis at least. Sadly, there is probably more to this story.

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

Marrone is serving notice just like Parcells used to do. Well done, coach. Sure didn't take long for the scribes to circle the wagons on this one. Not that I'm surprised. They have each others backs and I'm sure there will be some knife (pencil) sharpening over drinks at the pub tonight.

And as to the Bills "needing to say something" about Mario, how many times does Marrone have to say he's still being evaluated and he's awaiting more information? As many times as it takes or just until the media gets an answer they like?

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

If that's really their job, that's a sad commentary on the current media climate.

Alas, it's not their only job, but beat reporters don't get scoops everyday; nor do they get one-on-one access or exclusives. Sometimes this is their only forum to get face time that leads to newsworthy items. Their job is to report on Bills related news; This time of the year it's an expectation that they churn out coverage.

In my opinion it's unfortunate that Marrone "made news" in this press conference. If Marrone wouldn't have lost his cool, the headlines coming out of it, would have been, "Still no word on Mario; Bills doing due diligence" or "Marrone Mum on Mario." We could of lived with that. Now there's a perception forming that Marrone's withholding info or is a hot head that can't handle the Buffalo media. Or both.

Edited by Jamie Nails

My whole problem with the situation today was he answered the question 2 times politely, move on. Find another story to write about. Maybe how the OL is doing? What about the battles at LB? How are the rookies fairing? And guess what, maybe the fans want to read about those issues just as much. What a concept. Instead, there is a massive local media backlash, where now they haven't written about anything BIlls related but themselves and that situation.

EDIT: Kind of like this article - http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/61753/buffalo-bills-practice-report

written by a Patriots reporter. More informative than the local media.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Alas, it's not their only job, but beat reporters don't get scoops everyday; nor do they get one-one-on access or exclusives. Sometimes this is their only forum to get face time that leads to newsworthy items. Their job is to report on Bills related news; This time of the year it's an expectation that they churn out coverage.

In my opinion it's unfortunate that Marrone "made news" in this press conference. If Marrone wouldn't have lost his cool, the headlines coming out of it, would have been, "Still no word on Mario; Bills doing due diligence" or "Marrone Mum on Mario." We could of lived with that. Now there's a perception forming that Marrone's withholding info or is a hot head that can't handle the Buffalo media. Or both.

I dunno, I look at this and see the reporters making it about themselves. If they try to spin this into "Marrone is thin-skinned", then shame on us if we buy into it.

I'd rather have a coach who doesn't take bullsh*t from the media than one who tries to be their best friend and tries not to hurt anyone's feelings. Reporters are some of the most annoying people out there. As much as I dislike Belichek, I think it's awesome how surly he is with the media.

exactly...JW didn't ask anything that was off limits and i don't think it was excessive, Marrone had been answering it over and over and i think gave a good answer...problem is, good old timmy g is all over twitter with his 'panties in a wad' saying Marrone went overboard and then was 'screaming bloody murder' when the bills website took the exchange out of the official transcript.

I don't think anyone was "right" or "wrong" in this exchange.

But Marrone is going to need to get some more patience with the press; imagine what he would be like after a bad loss.

I find it interesting that the whole reason for this story is that Marrone became irritated and defensive, and now we're seeing the local media getting irritated and defensive from the backlash.

My whole problem with the situation today was he answered the question 2 times politely, move on. Find another story to write about. Maybe how the OL is doing? What about the battles at LB? How are the rookies fairing? And guess what, maybe the fans want to read about those issues just as much. What a concept. Instead, there is a massive local media backlash, where now they haven't written about anything BIlls related but themselves and that situation.

Agree entirely. Apparently there's a difference between answering the same question multiple times vs. the answer the media really wants to hear. What gets me is that AFTER he took the time to couch his reasoning on the matter, even to the point of understanding that the media "have their jobs to do" and that he appreciates that, it just wasn't good enough. It actually sounded kind of childish when immediately after that another Mario question was asked.

GO BILLS!!!

exactly...JW didn't ask anything that was off limits and i don't think it was excessive, Marrone had been answering it over and over and i think gave a good answer...problem is, good old timmy g is all over twitter with his 'panties in a wad' saying Marrone went overboard and then was 'screaming bloody murder' when the bills website took the exchange out of the official transcript.

Graham has issues. I think he's literally incapable of writing an unbiased piece on any subject.

GO BILLS!!!

There's some additional audio at the bottom of this article: http://www.wgr550.com/Mario-Williams-absent-from-Bills-camp-once-again/16939557

Marrone and Wawrow cool off and make nice. Much ado about nothing. Move along.

I will say that I think JW might've been testy after kinda botching a question to EJ at camp arrival, but he can obviously speak for himself.

Don't know that he'll comment on it here tho, as he tweeted that he wasn't interested in having this conversation. (I didn't ask him, he just put that out there on his own.)

Just noticed the thread title was changed to 'Doug Marrone Grows Irritated."

I'd start a thread entitled, 'Bills Reporters Grow Childish, Prickish, and Vindictive', if I didn't think it was redundant.

GO BILLS!!!