Doug Marrone grows irritated

Jason Isbell? Is he good? I loved songs like "Outfit" with the DBTs, but the very, very tiny bit I've heard (snippets, really), sounded pretty precious and like faux Americana. I'm honestly asking -- I'd love to find out that I'm wrong.

Still getting into his new album, "Southeastern." Going to give it a good hard listen on drive home from camp today. It's a little slow-moving, but has a great rocker, "Super 8" on it that really stuck out.

I was really captivated with his previous release, "Here We Rest." It was one of the best to come out in 2011.

He does fall into the Ryan Adams category, but his song-writing and turns of phrases are very good. Check out "Alabama Pines."

jw

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahahah....nice...you damn rabble rouser!

time for some Isbell -- show in Buffalo on Thursday night. can't wait. otherwise, my responses were in the other thread on this issue. figured i'd limit myself to one thread ... until now, of course. ;)

jw

shilling for Isbell.

The problem with twitter, is that it's full of twits twats. Mostly from the greater Syracuse NY area, apparently (last statement edited)

Fixed it for ya.

Do things always need to be spelled out to you?

You don't find it at all odd that the franchise bet on defense, who participated in the offseason workouts without any concern, passed his physical a few days back, suddenly shows up at camp complaining about a foot injury? And then the team doesn't

say a word about it, other than saying that he has a hurt foot? Only to be followed by that player being MIA on day two of camp? The same player who developed a mystery wrist injury in 2012 that he apparently kept from the team?

If you had a job covering the team, don't you think that you would also be asking about Mario until you got a satisfactory answer?

Again, Marrone was put on the spot by the inept Bills PR department. Berchtold or Whaley needed to be upfront about Mario's absence from camp and not put the rookie coach on the spot.

Can't wait until Marrone gets grilled about why he wasted a time out in the first quarter.

^This^

Actually, you're missing the point. The issue isn't that Marrone was lying. It was that Marrone didn't know what was going on. And to the press, that means nothing has changed at OBD, and Marrone is just as big a dumbass as Jauron and Gailey, and Ralph is still cheap, and Russ is really calling the shots, and in three years Marrone will be gone and the next out-of-the-loop puppet will be in place. But the same reporters will STILL be here, telling you what to think.

To people like Timmah! Graham, this is good news, because he has no interest in Buffalo winning. He'd rather have the team continue to suck, so he can laugh at the multitude of Bills fans that he hates.

May not be true, but that's what I get from his writings. Hell, most anything he writes about the team is referring to something else. "Reports say this..." or "Another reporter did that..." When was the last time you saw a Bills story that Timmah! originated? He filters the JW backwash for a story.

Sorry. There may be excellent reason to go after Marrone, but who the phuck really cares? He's the new coach. With a new quarterback and a new DC and a team that at least smells like it wants to win. Marrone is the latest great hope. And no JW question or Timmah! idiocy will matter once the games start because what do you really care about: the stupidity of the media or hoping Marrone can win some games?

One would think he has enough on his mind, running his first NFL Training Camp without a severe pounding from the locals. Kinda reminds me of Chan's "You dog one of us, you dog all of us" moment at his first TC.

Still getting into his new album, "Southeastern." Going to give it a good hard listen on drive home from camp today. It's a little slow-moving, but has a great rocker, "Super 8" on it that really stuck out.

I was really captivated with his previous release, "Here We Rest." It was one of the best to come out in 2011.

He does fall into the Ryan Adams category, but his song-writing and turns of phrases are very good. Check out "Alabama Pines."

jw

So you found out that Mario is resting at a Super 8 with his girlfriend somewhere in the Southeastern Alabama Pines? You investigative journalist, you. Did you tell Coach Maronne? :ph34r:

I love it! The Buffalo media flat sucks outside a couple guys and they need their collective asses kicked. Marrone won't put up with their bull **** and I love it. For years the media feels this need to ask the same damn question 8000 different ways and the answer is always the same.

Marrone told them he understood he had a job to do and answered them truthfully, but they wouldn't stop asking the same Mario **** over and over and he smacked them for it.

BTW as for as growing thicker skin, lets see guys who has had issues with the media, Parcells, Saban, Coughlin etal. Most of those guys are WINNERS and they just don't have time to screw with a bunch of tarded press. I loved how parcells would just make them look like the dip ***** they are. I hope Marrone is the same.

Much ado about nothing. Move along and hopefully Mario will be back on the field soon.

It was much ado about nothing. Too bad the media hacks had to run with it mere seconds after Marrone snapped at them. The media, and the media only, made it something it was not.

GO BILLS!!!

so a coach who doesn't respond is bad and has no fire. and a coach who responds this way is too thin skinned because he fires back at reporters. you know what? i don't really care unless it causes problems on the field. marrone could punch out reporters at every press conference if the team wins.

Much ado about nothing. Move along and hopefully Mario will be back on the field Cut or Traded soon.

Fixed it for you :thumbsup:

so a coach who doesn't respond is bad and has no fire. and a coach who responds this way is too thin skinned because he fires back at reporters. you know what? i don't really care unless it causes problems on the field. marrone could punch out reporters at every press conference if the team wins.

^^

This!

Worth noting: Mario's return to camp and Mario's presence on the practice field this morning were tweeted by fans, not by any media outlet.

Or he could follow the precedent set by Bill Belichick, don't tell them a damn thing. Every response to a player injury question should be "we don't talk about player injuries".

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

to be fair, JW did tweet this pretty early on

John Wawrow@john_wawrow2h

and Mario Williams is here. he's the last to take the field, wearing pads and helmet. he heads straight for stationary bike.

Worth noting: Mario's return to camp and Mario's presence on the practice field this morning were tweeted by fans, not by any media outlet.

Or he could follow the precedent set by Bill Belichick, don't tell them a damn thing. Every response to a player injury question should be "we don't talk about player injuries".

Like K-9 said, it really wasn't a big deal. The problem is what happened afterward. I respect JW for taking the high road in the aftermath, but the blogs, tweets, and articles that followed from guys like Graham, Harrington, and Maiorana was unfortunately not very flattering to them.

It was much ado about nothing. Too bad the media hacks had to run with it mere seconds after Marrone snapped at them. The media, and the media only, made it something it was not.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually, Marrone's reaction to the media is the entire story. He was somehow unprepared for this type of behavior from the local press. He could have handled it a lot cooler. Came off as sensitive with the "I'm a straight shooter" stuff. Be like BB, not like Jim Mora.

Wrong.

and Mario Williams is here. he's the last to take the field, wearing pads and helmet. he heads straight for stationary bike.

You and your damned fairness! Just read the script! (What's wrong with you people??)

Poojer,

I don't dislike JW but I think what he did yesterday was unnecessary. If you follow the sequence of his questions it appeared to me that he just wasn't going to let go until he got something from Marrone. That would have been fine if early in the line of questioning Marrone hadn't already told him that he didn't have any further information. Marrone was pretty clear on that point and JW wouldn't let it go.

My point on the tweets is that there are millions of sets of eyes and ears out there that see and hear things. Professional media is limited on what they can see, hear and even report. Their stuff needs to be confirmed so it's often well behind the breaking news. That's a double edge sword but social media is outpacing the mainstream media and it's not even close.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Poojer,

I don't dislike JW but I think what he did yesterday was unnecessary. If you follow the sequence of his questions it appeared to me that he just wasn't going to let go until he got something from Marrone. That would have been fine if early in the line of questioning Marrone hadn't already told him that he didn't have any further information. Marrone was pretty clear on that point and JW wouldn't let it go.

My point on the tweets is that there are millions of sets of eyes and ears out there that see and hear things. Professional media is limited on what they can see, hear and even report. Their stuff needs to be confirmed so it's often well behind the breaking news. That's a double edge sword but social media is outpacing the mainstream media and it's not even close.

That post by JW was a full 2 hours after I saw it tweeted

jw was probably looking for this: "Mario has injured his foot. We have no information right now as to the extent of the injury. He ishaving another medical evaluation today. We will base his return on medical opinions. Until then he is excused from practice."

No how hard would it for him to prepare a statement like that before he walked out there in front of the press?

jw was probably looking for this: "Mario has injured his foot. We have no information right now as to the extent of the injury. He ishaving another medical evaluation today. We will base his return on medical opinions. Until then he is excused from practice."

No how hard would it for him to prepare a statement like that before he walked out there in front of the press?

...which still would have been followed up with subsequent questions.

no I get it..and i also think JW pushed it a bit, I have no issue with Marrone's reaction, actually i welcome that kind of 'spunk' finally. But JW had 2 tweets almost simultaneously, first indicated he had just gotten to the practice area, second was the mario tweet.

Poojer,

no I get it..and i also think JW pushed it a bit, I have no issue with Marrone's reaction, actually i welcome that kind of 'spunk' finally. But JW had 2 tweets almost simultaneously, first indicated he had just gotten to the practice area, second was the mario tweet.

Twitter sucks. More about the twitterer than the twitee their writing about. Who cares if writer _______ ______ has made it to camp? It's laughable.

To some it's about the football, the team, not the paid critics of the team.

time for some Isbell -- show in Buffalo on Thursday night. can't wait. otherwise, my responses were in the other thread on this issue. figured i'd limit myself to one thread ... until now, of course. ;)

jw

shilling for Isbell.

Heard Mario is planning to be at the concert -- dancing and swaying -- part of his rehab.

Seriously good stuff.......

jw--you are right--you can't win and neither can Coach Marrone--situations like this are never good -- he has reasons to hide certain facts (protect the player if he is doing something that the team does not want and not let on the details of the injury for competitive advantage) and you have a responsibility to go after them (Its your job). Coach is a middleman in this situation -- would be best to hear it straight from the player and put it to rest. Hopefully that comes soon.

The worst case is Mario has no faith in the Bills medical staff and wanted to seek his own opinion. This could be a symptom of his overall dissatisfaction in Buffalo and feeds his reputation as a player who can be derailed by the smallest of irritations. It leads to thinking that the team will never get good effort from him because of this and they have a woefully underperforming $100 million asset. Media and fans will see this on the field soon enough-- but people who don't think this is a story need to check the crap that ends up being stories these days. This is something to go after and the second challenge (Byrd hold-out) to new leadership at OBD. I only caution not to write the story before the player has a chance to speak...and I know you won't do that. Right now from a training camp perspective Mario looks like Bruce Smith -- if he performs on the field like Bruce --- we have a winner....if he begs out of games like he is out of training camp we have a whiner.....

Edited by JoeF