Doug Marrone grows irritated

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is stalling. Timing is just too odd. I think the wrist thing was just an excuse for his poor play st the begining of the year

If it is stalling one would think that the coach is not pleased at this point. Mario is a very good but not great football player. He played one year on one of the worst run defenses in franchise history. Not all his fault. But, he probably has a very limited space to play a prima donna with a new staff and a boatload of new teammates. The refrigerator is one thing, dodging camp while installing a new system is a whole new level. Hard to say maybe he is being very cautious or maybe he is just a wuss. This is a big year for the team and Mario. Marrone has his work cut out for him.

I still marvel at Buddy Nixes ability to sell Mario and that mammoth contract to the bean counters at OBD. I still have hope he will bring it on this year, So far though he certainly cannot be accused of being a gamer.

In all honesty, when your job is to ask questions and you think the person you're questioning isn't telling the truth, then you will ask the same question an infinite number of times.

And why, pray tell, should any member of the local media have reason to believe Marrone is not telling the truth?

And why, pray tell, should any member of the local media have reason to believe Marrone is not telling the truth?

Because, people are guilty until proven innocent, or however the saying goes.

Either way, I'm hoping this Mario thing gets put to bed soon. Don't want this thing to be the focus of training camp.

Do things always need to be spelled out to you?

You don't find it at all odd that the franchise bet on defense, who participated in the offseason workouts without any concern, passed his physical a few days back, suddenly shows up at camp complaining about a foot injury? And then the team doesn't

say a word about it, other than saying that he has a hurt foot? Only to be followed by that player being MIA on day two of camp? The same player who developed a mystery wrist injury in 2012 that he apparently kept from the team?

If you had a job covering the team, don't you think that you would also be asking about Mario until you got a satisfactory answer?

Again, Marrone was put on the spot by the inept Bills PR department. Berchtold or Whaley needed to be upfront about Mario's absence from camp and not put the rookie coach on the spot.

Can't wait until Marrone gets grilled about why he wasted a time out in the first quarter.

Perhaps the media (rather than Marrone) should get a thick skin. I read the Buffalo News characterization of this and they used terms like Marrone "shot at him" etc. Before I heard the audio and saw the video, I thought that I was going to hear a shouting match. Instead, I heard Marrone merely being frustrated having to hear the same questions when he does not have the answers yet.

Exactly...this whole thing is absurd.

If you had a job covering the team, don't you think that you would also be asking about Mario until you got a satisfactory answer?

It absolutely is, but when it's the SAME person you're asking over and over, that question begins to turn into a statement...that's when Coach appears to have become irritated and I think it's completely understandable. Exactly how many times do these idiot media people think they need to ask the same question of the same person before they'll crack and the REAL truth will come out? Marrone's job is to coach the players who are available to him. He's been very consistent since day one, whether it was refusing to discuss Kolb before the contract was signed, or Byrd, or whoever else...if the player is not on the field ready to be coached, then he's not the guy to be coming to for answers. From time to time in the medical field, someone presents with an issue that is not able to be diagnosed immediately. I have no idea if that's the case here or not, but it would be a far more reasonable assumption to make than to assume that Coach has some magic threshold where if you ask him a question enough times, THEN the truth comes out.

Maybe Sal Moronara and these other folks need to interview this guy...

In all honesty, when your job is to ask questions and you think the person you're questioning isn't telling the truth, then you will ask the same question an infinite number of times.

Okay. So you are saying the JW thought Marrone was lying? Based on what? Did JW have a source or was he simply not liking the answer? I couldn't hear JW clearly in that presser tape but if he was really just badgering Marrone I hope it was because JW knew something and was looking for Marrone to slip up a confirmation.

Otherwise it's very disrespectful. You're basically calling the coach a liar.

PTR

PTR

Exactly...the question turns into a statement.

Okay. So you are saying the JW thought Marrone was lying? Based on what? Did JW have a source or was he simply not liking the answer? I couldn't hear JW clearly in that presser tape but if he was really just badgering Marrone I hope it was because JW knew something and was looking for Marrone to slip up a confirmation.

PTR

Actually, you're missing the point. The issue isn't that Marrone was lying. It was that Marrone didn't know what was going on. And to the press, that means nothing has changed at OBD, and Marrone is just as big a dumbass as Jauron and Gailey, and Ralph is still cheap, and Russ is really calling the shots, and in three years Marrone will be gone and the next out-of-the-loop puppet will be in place. But the same reporters will STILL be here, telling you what to think.

To people like Timmah! Graham, this is good news, because he has no interest in Buffalo winning. He'd rather have the team continue to suck, so he can laugh at the multitude of Bills fans that he hates.

May not be true, but that's what I get from his writings. Hell, most anything he writes about the team is referring to something else. "Reports say this..." or "Another reporter did that..." When was the last time you saw a Bills story that Timmah! originated? He filters the JW backwash for a story.

Sorry. There may be excellent reason to go after Marrone, but who the phuck really cares? He's the new coach. With a new quarterback and a new DC and a team that at least smells like it wants to win. Marrone is the latest great hope. And no JW question or Timmah! idiocy will matter once the games start because what do you really care about: the stupidity of the media or hoping Marrone can win some games?

After a bit of thought I am going to side with the press on this one. Marrone knows dam well what is going on with Williams and if he doesn't then this organization is worse than we thought. He's lying and he is not under oath so he can continue to lie. Good for the guys to keep asking the question. I would have asked how an organization that invested nearly $100 million dollars in a player didn't know his foot was hurt until the day of training camp. My guess is Williams isn't hurt and he just doesn't feel like living in a dorm room and risking injury. He will rest the same way Bruce did.

I was a little surprised by this. I mean it wasn't that bad on both sides. But Doug, come on. This is a trick as old as the hills. Ask a guy the same thing over and over until he says something different or dumb or makes a fool out of himself.

I grew up in Dallas a big Tom Landry era cowboy fan.

When the Cowboys were in camp the year Herschel Walker joined the team, every night on the 10 o'clock news they'd show some sports guy and he would ask Tony Dorsett, "so, Tony, what do think about Herschel being here?"

Night 1 - "We just want to win. If Herschel helps us win I'm good with it."

Night 2 - "If he helps the Cowboys win, great."

Night 3 - "If Coach Landry thinks he can help us win, then it's awesome."

Night 4 - "We just want to win. If Herschel helps us win I'm good with it."

Night 5 - Tony went off. They had their story and what they were looking for. A nice controversy.

Worked 30 years ago. Still works today.

Now Coach Marrone has showed that he is vulnerable to it. There's blood in the water. Look for more of the same.

Edited by reddogblitz

Going to turn into hockey.

"What's wrong with Mario?"

"Lower Body"

"How long is he out?"

"Day to Day"

That's all you ever get if even that much. My opinion, coach did not jerk the media around. Blown way out of proportion by some members of the media. I think the media was just looking for something to test the new guy out and see how it's going to go. It was quite tame compared to Polian vs the Media in 1989. Nobody yelled. Apologies were given by both guys and that was that until some guys hit twitter and it blew up. Twitter is evil.

The difference is that in hockey the coach tells you that they're not going to tell you because they don't want to give other teams valuable intelligence or have them target a specific injury. They don't say "Yeah I heard that he got hurt. He hasn't been at practice the last couple of days but I don't know what's up. I'm just waiting for the doctor to call and let me know. You'll be the first to find out when I know something"

How much you wanna bet JW has typed out and deleted several responses in this thread? But I'm sure he had some 'Mats on the stereo and thought it'd be best to just stay away.

time for some Isbell -- show in Buffalo on Thursday night. can't wait. otherwise, my responses were in the other thread on this issue. figured i'd limit myself to one thread ... until now, of course. ;)

jw

shilling for Isbell.

Edited by john wawrow

I get this and have seen the veiled nature of this staff right from the first press conference. What I don't like is the lying. If they don't want to disclose the injury yet then just say that they are following the situation closely, are up to speed but don't want to disclose anything to the press yet because they want to be sure first or because they want to have a plan to deal with it in place or simply because it's none of their business. Whatever. Just don't say that they have no idea about the injury.

Not well, but maybe they should grow some testicles and tell the truth like real "straight shooters" and deal with the blowback instead of lying. How's the lying working in assuaging the press?

I understand what you're saying Vince but if I was Marrone or another member of the Bills I wouldn't care about the press. Concentrate on putting a good football team on the field. Press is not needed for anything, IMO

time for some Isbell -- show in Buffalo on Thursday night. can't wait. otherwise, my responses were in the other thread on this issue. figured i'd limit myself to one thread ... until now, of course. ;)

jw

shilling for Isbell.

Jason Isbell? Is he good? I loved songs like "Outfit" with the DBTs, but the very, very tiny bit I've heard (snippets, really), sounded pretty precious and like faux Americana. I'm honestly asking -- I'd love to find out that I'm wrong.

Okay. So you are saying the JW thoug

ht Marrone was lying? Based on what? Did JW have a source or was he simply not liking the answer? I couldn't hear JW clearly in that presser tape but if he was really just badgering Marrone I hope it was because JW knew something and was looking for Marrone to slip up a confirmation.

PTR

If you take a step back and follow the progression of the questions and answers, you will see that Marrone knew more than what he was saying. Immediately after the pc the team released a statement with more details. Why didn't Marrone say that at the pc? Either he didn't know or didn't want to answer. That's his choice, but it is the job of beat writers to get the answers.

I know that Marrone is the new savior of WNY, kind of like Mario was last March, but the only way this is a manufactured controversy is that most of the people in this thread fell for it. Who are the real suckers? The two threads on the pc are now longer than the Mario hurt foot and contact threads.