Doug Marrone grows irritated

Wawrow was certainly warranted in asking a few follow up questions to probe for information, but, in my opinion, the question that clearly went over the line was the one asking if Mario "had the team's permission" to be away from camp. That was pure "snarkiness" and frustration over not getting the answers he wanted.

considering the team didn't know he was going to have wrist SURGERY last season, i'd say it was a fair question.

heck, the Bills didn't even believe his wrist was injured as evident by the injury report and Chan's comments, even though the player complained/mentioned it publicly several times.

the real story here is the fact that Mario does not trust the Bills medical staff. going forward, every single time he is hurting he will be going for a second opinion with or without the teams permission.

i'd say the Bills are not happy about him seeking second opinions, hence all the initial drama.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't go back and read every post in this thread, but has it not been discussed that perhaps the most obvious explanation is the correct one? Namely -- Marrone was told on Sunday night that Mario had a sore foot, nobody thought it was serious, but because this is their key defensive player he was going to get a 2nd opinion and there was no need to rush him onto the field (since he was at every OTA and obviously understands the defense)? That would explain Marrone's seemingly nonchalant attitude about the situation and reluctance to talk about it. "Should" he have realized the media would be in a frenzy over Mario's absence? Probably. But I don't for one second believe Marrone was "unaware" of the situation; he's simply a coach who prefers to talk about "the players who are here." You can already tell talking about injuries is the last thing he wants to do.

Wawrow was certainly warranted in asking a few follow up questions to probe for information, but, in my opinion, the question that clearly went over the line was the one asking if Mario "had the team's permission" to be away from camp. That was pure "snarkiness" and frustration over not getting the answers he wanted.

Anyway, it appears all of this is now water under the bridge, as Marrone has capitulated to the media's request for specific injury updates. I do like very much, however, the fact that players have been told not to discuss their injuries and all information will come straight from Marrone.

Sal Maiorana will help you recall some of the events more clearly (hold your nose while reading if you must):

Williams checked in at St. John Fisher College Friday, was on campus Saturday, and then all of a sudden, when the team took the field for its first practice Sunday night, he wasn’t participating. Afterward, it was revealed that Williams had a sore foot, the severity of which was not known.

Monday, Williams wasn’t even at practice, so Marrone was asked what’s up. He was vague and said only that he had not heard from the doctor, or from Williams. OK, fine. One would presume at this point that the head coach would want to know what’s going on, so he would call someone – the doctor, Williams, anyone with knowledge – and find out so he was ready for the sure-to-be asked question on Tuesday.

Marrone said he did not do this. It’s hard to believe that he didn’t, but he claims he didn’t. So, when asked Tuesday what’s going on, he simply repeated what he’d said Monday.

It will forever rankle me why coaches in any sport have to be so secretive about injuries. Marrone had to know he would get asked about Williams Tuesday, so why not just make the call and find out so you can answer the question, perhaps a follow up question or two, and be done with it?

So, basically, Marrone either paints himself as a HC who, on the first day of his first camp, didn't even call his star defensive player to see what was up with his foot or he is lying when he says he didn't know anything. Neither option is very flattering for a new HC with no record of success as such in the league.

I think every member of the media asumed he wasn't being truthful, hence the repeated questioning.

Overall, Marrone came off looking like an amateur. Comparisons to BB or PArcells are ridiculous to anyone who has seen those two handle the press. They wouldn't have handled that interview anything like Marrone did.

So, basically, Marrone either paints himself as a HC who, on the first day of his first camp, didn't even call his star defensive player to see what was up with his foot or he is lying when he says he didn't know anything. Neither option is very flattering for a new HC with no record of success as such in the league.

I think every member of the media asumed he wasn't being truthful, hence the repeated questioning.

Overall, Marrone came off looking like an amateur. Comparisons to BB or PArcells are ridiculous to anyone who has seen those two handle the press. They wouldn't have handled that interview anything like Marrone did.

And then if you believe the reports about Mario's second opinion - it came from the "renowned" Dr. Andrews, whose practice happens to be in Birmingham, AL. So if Mario was formally excused by the team, did they not know he traveled to Alabama? Where are all our enterprising flight trackers out there checking private jet activity between Rochester & Birmingham? The more this story unwinds, the odder it gets, and adds another peg to the Mario is a head case theory.

Edited by GG

Sal Maiorana will help you recall some of the events more clearly (hold your nose while reading if you must):

Williams checked in at St. John Fisher College Friday, was on campus Saturday, and then all of a sudden, when the team took the field for its first practice Sunday night, he wasn’t participating. Afterward, it was revealed that Williams had a sore foot, the severity of which was not known.

Monday, Williams wasn’t even at practice, so Marrone was asked what’s up. He was vague and said only that he had not heard from the doctor, or from Williams. OK, fine. One would presume at this point that the head coach would want to know what’s going on, so he would call someone – the doctor, Williams, anyone with knowledge – and find out so he was ready for the sure-to-be asked question on Tuesday.

Marrone said he did not do this. It’s hard to believe that he didn’t, but he claims he didn’t. So, when asked Tuesday what’s going on, he simply repeated what he’d said Monday.

It will forever rankle me why coaches in any sport have to be so secretive about injuries. Marrone had to know he would get asked about Williams Tuesday, so why not just make the call and find out so you can answer the question, perhaps a follow up question or two, and be done with it?

The bolded parts read like a hissy fit from a reporter who didn't get what he wanted. Very poor choice of article to back up your stance.

And then if you believe the reports about Mario's second opinion - it came from the "renowned" Dr. Andrews, whose practice happens to be in Birmingham, AL. So if Mario was formally excused by the team, did they not know he traveled to Alabama? Where are all our enterprising flight trackers out there checking private jet activity between Rochester & Birmingham? The more this story unwinds, the odder it gets, and adds another peg to the Mario is a head case theory.

You'd really have to assume a lot to call Mario a head case over anything we've heard this week.

I thought he went to NC?

The bolded parts read like a hissy fit from a reporter who didn't get what he wanted. Very poor choice of article to back up your stance.

Your bias agaisnt the guy is preventing you from following his point. It's an appropriate article in this case because it tells us what one or more of the press was thinking that day and why the exchange happened the way it did. Perhaps you have another to make it mor eclear for everyone.

Just re-read the last bolded statement and answer that question.

close but not quite correct...the 'renowned' dr. andrews is the acl/tommy john guru, our boy Mario was seen by 'renowned foot & ankle' Dr. Anderson in charlotte nc

Your bias agaisnt the guy is preventing you from following his point. It's an appropriate article in this case because it tells us what one or more of the press was thinking that day and why the exchange happened the way it did. Perhaps you have another to make it mor eclear for everyone.

I dont have any bias for or against Sal. Why would you make such a silly statement? I'm just telling you how the article comes off. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'll play along with the last part of your post - Marrone simply doesn't have to make a call to live up to a reporter's expectations. The presuption Sal makes, and that it seems many other here are making as well, is that if Marrone knows the question is coming he should be prepared to answer it. That just isn't the case.

You commenting on other people's biases ? I got a chuckle out of that one.

You're getting your doctors mixed up.

Mario saw Robert Anderson in North Carolina, the foot doctor who has worked on Kyle Williams.

Also according to reports, Mario had to get permission to seek a second opinion. The Bills knew he was going and they knew where he was going.

close but not quite correct...the 'renowned' dr. andrews is the acl/tommy john guru, our boy Mario was seen by 'renowned foot & ankle' Dr. Anderson in charlotte nc

My bad, I thought I read that he saw Dr. Andrews.

Check that, I did. Both, Timmy Graham & Billsdaily originally listed the doctor as Dr. Andrews in Charlotte, and have since updated it to Anderson. Gotta love the Google cache that still keeps the old articles. But I missed the Charlotte part, so I should have flagged that.

My bad, I thought I read that he saw Dr. Andrews.

Check that, I did. Both, Timmy Graham & Billsdaily originally listed the doctor as Dr. Andrews in Charlotte, and have since updated it to Anderson. Gotta love the Google cache that still keeps the old articles. But I missed the Charlotte part, so I should have flagged that.

Sure, blame the press for your mistakes. <_<

Also according to reports, Mario had to get permission to seek a second opinion. The Bills knew he was going and they knew where he was going.

And this is exactly what makes jw's line of questioning more valid and Marrone's response more perplexing, since the team knew that Williams was out of town.

You'd really have to assume a lot to call Mario a head case over anything we've heard this week.

Another brick in the wall. Last year's wrist injury. The bizarro tweet communication between him & former fiance. Developing a mystery foot ailment on the eve of training camp after he passed a physical a few days earlier. The absolute need to fly to NC to have a second opinion.

If we were writing this about Terrell Owens, everyone would just nod and say, yeah we know he's a head case, so what. That's how I'm starting to feel about Mario.

Ultimately it was an aborted, failed attempt at secrecy.

Moving forward…

I don't know that it was necessarily Secrecy. I think it was something Marrone really didn't want to talk about.

Failed attempt at avoidance seems better to me.

Moving forward…

Agreed. But I'm also a stickler for upholding people's reputations where warranted, and there were a lot of potshots thrown in this and other threads at some members of the press, who turned out to be right.

I dont have any bias for or against Sal. Why would you make such a silly statement? I'm just telling you how the article comes off. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'll play along with the last part of your post - Marrone simply doesn't have to make a call to live up to a reporter's expectations. The presuption Sal makes, and that it seems many other here are making as well, is that if Marrone knows the question is coming he should be prepared to answer it. That just isn't the case.

You don't think a new HC should be able to answer the questions about the whereabouts of his 100 million dollar D man on the first day of camp? Of how and when and where he suffered yet another mysterious injury? That only the press "expected" this, so it was right for Marrone to deny them?

You don't think fans, not just reporters, want to know the answer to that question?

You commenting on other people's biases ? I got a chuckle out of that one.

Oh I'm definitely here for the chuckles.

Moving forward…

Can't blame the press on this one. When a guy goes to great lengths to tell you what a "straight shooter" he is as he is misleading you, it's worth pointing out.

They were calling him on a lie. His effort was clumsy.

Edited by Mr. WEO