Doug Marrone grows irritated

I remember reading Sal Maiorana's stuff when I was growing up in Rochester...he's become a shell of his former self in terms of the quality he puts out. This blog post, to me, is a perfect example of why non-stories such as Mario's foot issue are forced into controversy by desperate, arrogant columnists who have nothing better to write.

Mario had some soreness, he reported it to the team, and they gave him permission to get evaluated. Coach says he hadn't heard anything new yet from the MDs or anyone else when being interviewed a day or two later. Certainly this must be cause for alarm! It couldn't possibly be that the MDs are still evaluating the source of the soreness and have yet to make a diagnosis, could it? Noooo...as Sal states, that just wasn't believable! After all, it's obvious that a simple phone call to the MD by Coach Marrone would magically increase the speed at which the MDs brains function and THEN we'd know what was wrong with Mario much sooner. Coach likely knew he would be notified as soon as there was news to report, but good ol' Sal knows BETTER. Even if there wasn't anything knew to report, and coach knew he'd be informed the minute there was, Sal says if only Coach had disregarded the truth and "just come armed with the proper information", this entire thing could have been avoided.

But Sal, what if Coach really WAS being forthright and there really WASN'T anything new to report other than the docs were still evaluating him? Well apparently that didn't matter, cause according to Mr Maiorana, even if coach was being 100% truthful, they weren't going to believe him anyway lol. (And yes, he actually says this...click the article below.)

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/bills/?p=1179

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you talking about? a professional interview? what exactly does that mean? are you suggesting we check the yellow pages and call up a professional interviewer or interviewee?

interviews happen. they take on a life of their own. questions are asked. answers are provided. however professional or unprofessional you might regard them to be doesn't really matter. they happen.

what exactly are you suggesting? that they follow some kind of rule? am i in fact asking professional questions here? because if that's the case, i suggest i should get paid.

or, are you suggesting that these professional interviews meet some certain standard in which you've developed. and if that is the case, please inform us all so that we can all follow the guidelines, because lord knows, it's important to remain "professional." or whatever that means.

jw

oh, yes, i also hope everyone learns from this, whatever that learning part is, because we should all learn stuff, cause learning is important.

Waahh...someone criticized the ****ty job I did.

I can plainly see you don't know what professional means.

Oh well, this is probably old news for you anyway. Lindsay Lohan is out of rehab, you probably need to track her down to ask her about what she thinks about the new royal baby. Keep up the good journalism.

Waahh...someone criticized the ****ty job I did.

I can plainly see you don't know what professional means.

Oh well, this is probably old news for you anyway. Lindsay Lohan is out of rehab, you probably need to track her down to ask her about what she thinks about the new royal baby. Keep up the good journalism.

There's the white flag for you, jw.

TY for the reply. Is your sense that Marrone will continue to lose his cool when faced with repetitive probing questions or do you feel that he will learn from this alleged hiccup and improve at dealing with the local media?

I honestly don't know. But this is not his first HC job. I think it's instructive to remember that he had a reputation for being a bit thin skinned in Syracuse. Maybe I'm shilling for jw, but I thought that Marrone went a little overboard with his tirade, especially with benefit of hindsight knowing that Mario was in North Carolina (or on the way back) when the press conference was held. So armed with that knowledge, yet hearing Marrone declare on Tuesday "Like I told you guys before and I said it, I have no new information from yesterday. That's the God's truth. And that's really it." raises two issues - either he was flat out lying or he really didn't know what was happening with his star defensive player. Which is worse?

I get it that he is trying to establish his ground rules as every new coach does. Too bad he came off as amateteurish to me.

For those keeping this thread going - WEO, GG, jw, Joe Miner, etc. What is the expectation for Marrone vis a vis the media going forward after this purported "dust up"? Do you think he, like many rookies, will learn from this? Or do you think what you saw is what you will get for the duration of his tenure as HC of the BB?

He already learned from it (or more likely Russ had a chat with him after the debacle) and the very next day, he was all about injury reports.

He'll be OK. But the press and others can spot BS a mile away--and they busted Marrone in this instance when he was tryin gto shine them with his "straight shooter" stuff, as GG points out.

John,

I hope you read my earlier post where I complimented you. I put you in a completely different category from Sullivan, Gleason, and Harrington. Yet, I got to tell you, to paraphrase Chris Berman, no one circles the wagons like Buffalo sports reporters.

Regarding Mario:

Two and one-half days of negotiating a deal: It took me more than two and one-half days to decide to move to Miami and accept an offer from a law firm here coming out of law school 26 years ago - and believe me, my initial salary as a lawyer did not have as many zeros as Mario's contract.

Inconsistent performance on a porous defense: The Bills had a porous defense. There are eleven guys on defense (not to mention the departed DC). Obviously, Mario was not the only reason for how the defense performed. We all would have wanted him to be more dominating. He did get 10.5 sacks however. He was inconsistent, but his play picked up after he had his procedure. To his credit, he did not miss a game and played through it. Guys like Sully (especially on his WGR spots) always seemed to question whether there was an injury and, in turn, his manhood. He continues to do so after missing a couple of practices to take care of his foot several weeks before the first regular season game.

Engagement: Are you kidding me with this?

Comments on Pettine's style: I am not sure what you are talking about. All I have heard is that he is excited to play in the new defense. Paul Hamilton was talking about this yesterday or the day before on WGR.

Posting a Questionable Hernandez Drawing: Are you talking about the Grand Theft Auto New England thing? I have heard a lot of jokes etc. about Hernandez from a lot of different people. I really don't care. I also have found that different people of different backgrounds and ages have different senses of humor. When I was a teenager, I used to recite Richard Pryor routines with one of my best friends (who happened to be black) with whom I played football. While I still think that Richard Pryor is hilarious, I would not recite many of those routines any more -- except the one with the punch line: "And, it's deep too." [Those of you that know the joke are probably laughing right now].

John, you have built up a lot of credibility in my book. I respect your opinion, because I do not think that you have a particular agenda or narrative you are pushing. I disagree with you at times - for example, your take on whether the Bills should have tagged JB. I respect your opinion even when I disagree with it.

Sullivan, Gleason, and Harrington, on the other hand, not so much.

The media making mountains out of molehills (really, 2.5 days of contract negotiations is "something with this guy"? Really?) doesn't mean there is something out of the norm with an individual. It means he is high profile and writers, journalists, whatever are latching on to every little thing.

It's always "something" only because people are making something out of it. When you have a microscope up someone's ass, every pollup looks like a big deal.

Accusing the guy about whom you are manufacturing drama, of being a drama queen? Brilliant.

He already learned from it (or more likely Russ had a chat with him after the debacle) and the very next day, he was all about injury reports.

He'll be OK. But the press and others can spot BS a mile away--and they busted Marrone in this instance when he was tryin gto shine them with his "straight shooter" stuff, as GG points out.

Or -- Marrone didn't "learn" anything other than that he'll get a scripted injury update he'll read at the beginning of his PCs from now on so he doesn't have to deal with the redundant questions. Way too much made of this on both sides.

You need thicker skin. ;)

I get frustrated, honestly, when it gets to a point where I feel like I've tried to explain myself and how I handle TBD threads, and I've seen the same posts over and over for 16 pages, and they keep coming at me, all right?

Or -- Marrone didn't "learn" anything other than that he'll get a scripted injury update he'll read at the beginning of his PCs from now on so he doesn't have to deal with the redundant questions. Way too much made of this on both sides.

^This. Ironically, this will lead to even less embellishment of answers on the subject of injuries.

Marrone learned his lesson. LOL. That's a good one.

GO BILLS!!!