Doug Marrone grows irritated

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't think a new HC should be able to answer the questions about the whereabouts of his 100 million dollar D man on the first day of camp? Of how and when and where he suffered yet another mysterious injury? That only the press "expected" this, so it was right for Marrone to deny them?

You don't think fans, not just reporters, want to know the answer to that question?

What the fans want to know and what the team wants to share with them are two completely different things. Try not to confuse the two.

Marrone was asked questions about Williams earlier in that same interview. He answered them. He even apologized to the press for not having more info.

What the fans want to know and what the team wants to share with them are two completely different things. Try not to confuse the two.

Wow. Ok, will do.

Marrone was asked questions about Williams earlier in that same interview. He answered them. He even apologized to the press for not having more info.

Well, they didn't believe him. That's sort of the point of this entire discussion.

Well, they didn't believe him. That's sort of the point of this entire discussion.

Yep. You seem to think he has to answer questions from those who, as you state, didnt believe what he initially said at the 3:17 mark of his PC. Others don't. Whatever.

Edited by Thurmal34

Yep. You seem to think he has to answer questions from those who, as you state, didnt believe what he initially said at the 3:17 mark of his PC. Others don't. Whatever.

There's a difference between refusing to answer a question and not answering a question truthfully. Try not to confuse the two.

There's a difference between refusing to answer a question and not answering a question truthfully. Try not to confuse the two.

There's a difference between feeling that someone isn't being honest and acting like a douche. Did we invite TMZ to the presser?

All sides could have and should have made better choices to not have this non-story blow up like this. Including the indirect participants like Mario and the Bills PR.

I'd rather have a coach who doesn't take bullsh*t from the media than one who tries to be their best friend and tries not to hurt anyone's feelings. Reporters are some of the most annoying people out there. As much as I dislike Belichek, I think it's awesome how surly he is with the media.

Coach B at Syracuse is like this also. Sports media are generally the worst. With so many other questions, to ask this one 5 times. They should be called out for that. What's Marrone going to say, "oh, now that you've asked the 5th time, I actually do have info on Mario's condition."

Sal Maiorana will help you recall some of the events more clearly (hold your nose while reading if you must):

So, basically, Marrone either paints himself as a HC who, on the first day of his first camp, didn't even call his star defensive player to see what was up with his foot or he is lying when he says he didn't know anything. Neither option is very flattering for a new HC with no record of success as such in the league.

I think every member of the media asumed he wasn't being truthful, hence the repeated questioning.

Overall, Marrone came off looking like an amateur. Comparisons to BB or PArcells are ridiculous to anyone who has seen those two handle the press. They wouldn't have handled that interview anything like Marrone did.

Marrone came off looking anything but amateurish. The weaselly press who get irritated anytime someone calls out their incompetence came off looking like the amateurs in this exchange.

There's a difference between feeling that someone isn't being honest and acting like a douche. Did we invite TMZ to the presser?

All sides could have and should have made better choices to not have this non-story blow up like this. Including the indirect participants like Mario and the Bills PR.

I hear ya. Sometimes these guys act like a group of tabloid journalists. As if we, the consumer, can't handle it any other way.

GO BILLS!!!

TMZ?? Have you seen or read the transcript (which was released in an edited form by the team)?

From deadspin (among many others):

"I have not had any contact with anyone in regards to Mario," Marrone said.

It's not in the video, but during part of that exchange the situation devolved so far that Marrone asked AP reporter John Wawrow if he could call one of the Bills' third-down plays:

That's not my job," Wawrow replied.

"Do you know the play?" Marrone asked.

"I really couldn't tell you because I've not seen your playbook," Wawrow replied with a shrug.

"Right, OK?" Marrone said. "I haven't talked to the doctor. I haven't seen the playbook."

Wawrow then attempted to ask his question.

"I'm done!" Marrone shot at him. "I'm not answering any more questions about Mario Williams until the doctor gives me this."

Asking JW if he could call 3rd down plays?? And JW is acting like "a douche"?

If a reporter thinks a public figure is dodging the truth, you would prefer that he drop the line of questioning? Because we don't deserve to know the truth?

TMZ?? Have you seen or read the transcript (which was released in an edited form by the team)?

From deadspin (among many others):

"I have not had any contact with anyone in regards to Mario," Marrone said.

It's not in the video, but during part of that exchange the situation devolved so far that Marrone asked AP reporter John Wawrow if he could call one of the Bills' third-down plays:

That's not my job," Wawrow replied.

"Do you know the play?" Marrone asked.

"I really couldn't tell you because I've not seen your playbook," Wawrow replied with a shrug.

"Right, OK?" Marrone said. "I haven't talked to the doctor. I haven't seen the playbook."

Wawrow then attempted to ask his question.

"I'm done!" Marrone shot at him. "I'm not answering any more questions about Mario Williams until the doctor gives me this."

Asking JW if he could call 3rd down plays?? And JW is acting like "a douche"?

If a reporter thinks a public figure is dodging the truth, you would prefer that he drop the line of questioning? Because we don't deserve to know the truth?

Maybe they should have just sat there for an hour asking and answering the same questions? A massive battle of wills to see who blink first.

Ask it and move on. You don't like the answer? Write an op ed telling us how you think he's not being straightforward. But badgering a point in an interview isn't going to be productive.

Or do we think those hard hitting questions were going to break Marrone down and make him start admitting things?

And by the way, what the !@#$ do you deserve to know? Did you somehow earn the right to get an answer you consider truthful, or is that a privilege bestowed upon you by birth?

Marrone is not alone......

Mike Wallace also stood on the sideline for all of team drills during Wednesday nights practice, for reasons the team would not explain.

Wallace participated in individual drills and appeared to be moving normally. Coach Joe Philbin refused to discuss Wallaces status or why he did not play in Mondays scrimmage.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/01/3535113/miami-dolphins-mum-on-mike-wallaces.html#storylink=cpy

Edited by papazoid

Maybe they should have just sat there for an hour asking and answering the same questions? A massive battle of wills to see who blink first.

Ask it and move on. You don't like the answer? Write an op ed telling us how you think he's not being straightforward. But badgering a point in an interview isn't going to be productive.

Or do we think those hard hitting questions were going to break Marrone down and make him start admitting things?

And by the way, what the !@#$ do you deserve to know? Did you somehow earn the right to get an answer you consider truthful, or is that a privilege bestowed upon you by birth?

Just the truth. If he doesn't want to give the truth, be like Philbin and say nothing. Just don't bullsh*t me.

You can have it the other way if it suits you. And it seems to...

Just the truth. If he doesn't want to give the truth, be like Philbin and say nothing. Just don't bullsh*t me.

You can have it the other way if it suits you. And it seems to...

I just wanted some info from the coach on training camp.

Not a pissing match between the reporters and the coach.

And you have no proof he didn't tell you the truth.

I just wanted some info from the coach on training camp.

Not a pissing match between the reporters and the coach.

And you have no proof he didn't tell you the truth.

I'm pretty comfortable assuming that the Bills HC knew how, when and where Mario hurt his foot and that he had talked to Mario adn his own medical/training staff about Mario's injury before Mario decided to get a second opinion on how to treat his injury.

If you want to believe Marrone knew none of this so that he honestly could not answer these simple questions from the media, then...fine for you.

not sure how this became a pissing match?

it seems to me some members of this board can be called out for being just as guilty of blowing this thing out of proportion and beyond perspective as they do the media.

i was there. i wouldn't have referred to it as a pissing match.

some words were exchanged and by the end it was essentially settled, with my question eventually answered.

i find it amusing how those accusing the media of being amateurish can be accused of the same thing in making their sweeping generalizations. i get the feeling some critics here have not read or seen the entire exchange, from start of the news conference to its conclusion. instead, they are relying on the myths and whispers of others and providing mere kneejerk reactions to expose their biases.

as for the suggestion the media move on and simply write an "op-ed" piece, not entirely sure what that means. i'm not in the business of inserting opinion in my stories. i'm in the business of writing facts and providing perspective.

but of course, there is a semblance of posters here who have the belief that they could just as easily do my job equally or better than i.

my response to that would be, please, do so.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

it seems to me some members of this board can be called out for being just as guilty of blowing this thing out of proportion and beyond perspective as they do the media.

some words were exchanged and by the end it was essentially settled, with my question eventually answered.

i find it amusing how those accusing the media of being amateurish can be accused of the same thing in making their sweeping generalizations. i get the feeling some critics here have not read or seen the entire exchange, from start of the news conference to its conclusion. instead, they are relying on the myths and whispers of others and providing mere kneejerk reactions to expose their biases.

as for the suggestion the media move on and simply write an "op-ed" piece, not entirely sure what that means. i'm not in the business of inserting opinion in my stories. i'm in the business of writing facts and providing perspective.

but of course, there is a semblance of posters here who have the belief that they could just as easily do my job equally or better than i.

jw

Do you think you had a productive interview about training camp?

jw

No, jw--it was a pissing match and Marrone won. Those are the facts! Don't come at us with your first person acount. Let us understand it the way we prefer to believe it happened.

jw

John, I find that you are about as professional as they come in the Buffalo media. That is why I restricted my comments to guys like Sullivan, Gleason, and Harrington. I watched the video and listened to an extended clip of the PC. Your exchange with Marrone just happened to be the culmination of a lot of people asking essentially same questions over and over (beginning the day before). There are some people in the Buffalo media who try to drive their narrative. Guys like Sullivan who tweeted on July 30th: "It's always something with Mario Williams" and who seems to be fixated on things like the fact that Mario has his own refrigerator. This is the same "sports" writer who apparently has the same level of sports knowledge (or lack thereof) as Justin Bieber -- they both do not know that you do not walk over a team logo in a dressing room whether it is the Buffalo Sabres or Chicago Blackhawks. Guys like Sullivan, Gleason, and Harrington have an agenda. An example of that with Sullivan and Harrington was that embarrassing Sabres PC. You do not appear to have an agenda like these guys. I think that is why people and the teams respect you more than these other guys.

Edited by Peter