Doug Marrone grows irritated

Most media members are nerds who could never play football at any level. They are annoying & live in the world of hindsight. They never admit fault and are the first ones to year you down. Media members live in a world where a geek like Jerry Sullivan can call Mario Williams a loser & not have his head ripped off by a man who's life is superior in every way over Sullivan's.

That said, being annoying is their job. I couldn't do it but its what they're supposed to do. At the same time, when you act annoying people will respond. I love Marrone's fire.

This.

I love the way Marrone handled it. I don't think he lost his cool at all. He just made the point a little more bluntly, that's all.

Besides, the media just wants to dig and see if there's more to the story. They're not reporting...they're like the papparazzi - just trying to dig up dirt to create a story.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a stretch at all. In fact it's likely the Bills had more information.Hell, perhaps the added information about Mario's conditions just added to Marrone's level of irritability. Who knows? But that's not the issue that I have.

GO BILLS!!!

It was bugging me that I couldn't put my finger on how to describe my dissatisfaction with some of these reporters and you just hit the nail on the head for me. They actually editorialize during the some of these PCs for crissakes and they are looking more for affirmation rather than information it seems.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, I hate it. And they're all guilty of it.

Here's an example.

"It seems this team often wilts in the third quarter. Sometimes you struggle to put up points and then turnovers let the opposing team back in. Would you say your team lacks a mature leader? I guess what I'm asking is, do you think if there were some older vets around that these--i don't know, you could call them meltdowns--these meltdowns would happen less often? I guess I'm thinking of the Patriots here. Would you say you want the team to be more like the Patriots?"

Now, the ****ty part about this "question" is that it's a yes/no question.

When all the reporter would have to say is:

"talk about the relationship between your team's maturity and their inability to sustain a lead."

Worth noting: Mario's return to camp and Mario's presence on the practice field this morning were tweeted by fans, not by any media outlet..

uh, Mike, hate to tell you, but i tweeted about Mario's return twice today. once just after 6 a.m. when Mario poked his head into the radio tents at camp:

John Wawrow@john_wawrow 9h

and, Mario Williams has just peeked his head in to radio tents at #bills camp to say hello.

the second about a minute after he took the field:

John Wawrow@john_wawrow 6h

and Mario Williams is here. he's the last to take the field, wearing pads and helmet. he heads straight for stationary bike.

i also know that i was not the only member of the media present tweeting Mario's arrival.

you should be better than this than to throw out these wild, wrong, accusations.

jw

If every other team dressed up a donkey and told him to play quarterback, I wouldn't expect/want The Bills to do the same. Buffalo reporters ask TERRIBLE questions. In fact, I'd stop short of calling them "questions." Every time I listen to a press conference all I hear is a bunch of writers talking, hoping the the players/coaches will chime in with something to affirm their meandering 40-word lede.

Truthfully, this is exactly what Chris Brown does in his "sit down" interviews on bb.com, and it drives me nuts. I think these reporters just want to be heard so badly that when they finally have their stage, they don't want to leave it. But it is indeed painful.

Interviewing is indeed an art -- one lost upon many of today's journalists.

Edited by eball

Truthfully, this is exactly what Chris Brown does in his "sit down" interviews on bb.com, and it drives me nuts. I think these reporters just want to be heard so badly that when they finally have their stage, they don't want to leave it. But it is indeed painful.

Interviewing is indeed an art -- one lost upon many of today's journalists.

Haha, I'd love to breakdown the tape and find the talktime ratio between Brown and players/coaches he "interviews."

LOCAL REPORTERS - "have" to write something everyday about the Bills. so sometimes, not so important stuff becomes news.

NATIONAL REPORTERS - do NOT have to write about the Bills today. so they have the advantage of only covering the Bills when something big happens.

LOCAL REPORTERS - "have" to write something everyday about the Bills. so sometimes, not so important stuff becomes news.

Right, because actually writing about what happened on the practice field would be...umm...never mind, I lost my train of thought. Squirrel!

NATIONAL REPORTERS - do NOT have to write about the Bills today. so they have the advantage of only covering the Bills when something big happens.

A job's a job. You think the national guys were born national?

A job's a job. You think the national guys were born national?

So are you saying that the national guys also wrote nonsensical stories when they were weenie pups?

Right, because actually writing about what happened on the practice field would be...umm...never mind, I lost my train of thought. Squirrel!

And what exactly was a bigger story in Bills camp yesterday than the complete absence of the biggest star on defense?

And what exactly was a bigger story in Bills camp yesterday than the complete absence of the biggest star on defense?

Who said they shouldn't write and ask about it? It's pretty clear most just felt the repetitive questions and creating "drama" were the issue, not the fact folks were interested.

So are you saying that the national guys also wrote nonsensical stories when they were weenie pups?

I see. One can't execute their job (writing a story and contributing to social media) without also being nonsensical. Here I thought some guys and gals out there actually had talent.

To your second question: IT'S THEIR !@#$ING JOB TO FIGURE THAT OUT

I see. One can't execute their job (writing a story and contributing to social media) without also being nonsensical. Here I thought some guys and gals out there actually had talent.

Is that like walking and chewing gum?

I'll refer to what you posted previously. You said it was a reporters job to ask questions. Maybe if they asked other questions, and Ramius listed a few, they could have figured out a bigger story. Seeing as thats their jobs and all.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Who said they shouldn't write and ask about it? It's pretty clear most just felt the repetitive questions and creating "drama" were the issue, not the fact folks were interested.

So if I understand - yes people were interested that Mario was absent, so jw should have asked the question, but then jw should have stopped asking questions about Mario so as not to offend the new coach?

So if I understand - yes people were interested that Mario was absent, so jw should have asked the question, but then jw should have stopped asking questions about Mario so as not to offend the new coach?

Sorry, I don't believe you're bright enough to comprehend the subject matter.

I'll refer to what you posted previously. You said it was a reporters job to ask questions. Maybe if they asked other questions, and Ramius listed a few, they could have figured out a bigger story. Seeing as thats their jobs and all.

Again, I'm not defending at Graham's hissy fit of an article. People need to keep the two issues separate. jw was correct to follow on the story that sounded fishy. I don't think that it was his intent to "gotcha" Marrone and then for the press corps to laugh it off at Thirsty's. Look at it another way, if Marrone handles it like a veteran coach, there is no story on his blow up either.

Sorry, I don't believe you're bright enough to comprehend the subject matter.

Obviously not, since I can't decipher your logic.

this is turning ridiculous. the reporters job is to dig on the story to see if theres info to report. marrone has taken a stance that he isnt going to be helpful in that regard. theres going to be some spats along the way - not a big deal, just part of the business, but a part that buffalo fans havent had to see much of lately. im expecting there will pretty regularly be similar issues, so id prepare to get used to it. we dont have gailey or jauron up there anymore.