Bills interested in Deebo Samuel per Mike Giardi

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Like how they couldn't trade diggs right

Diggs was more of a "why?" than a "can't".  Like why lose the services of a WR who is still good AND take on an additional $3M of cap hit?"

The Bills answered that with "We have our reasons, 2nd round next year Good Enough."

Samuel, the Bills would have to negotiate an extension as part of the trade.  Which, they could.  But you'd think, having just signed a big contract extension with a 28 1/2 yr old WR who only stayed with the team 2 years and wound up costing us a $31M dead cap hit, the Bills would not be eager to sign another big contract extension with a 28 1/2 yr old WR.

Here's the thing: some teams develop a pattern of trying to buy the greatness they need.  You see it with Denver, who managed a Superbowl with the Ghost of Peyton Manning, and then acquired Russ Wilson hoping to ride him to another championship.  You see it with the Vikes, who saddled up Favre for a ride to a conference championship, then tried Bradford after it looked as though Shurmur reclaimed him in Philly, then Cousins (with whom they never managed the conference game).

Obviously it works sometimes, but overall for sustained success, "draft, develop, resign" seems like the better plan.  And that's what Beane has preached.

One could view acquiring John Brown and Beasley, then Diggs, then Emmanuel Sanders, as the same 'hired gun" philosophy applied to WR.  So is he gonna practice what he's preached, or is he essentially going after the hired gun approach again?

I'm past predicting what Beane will or won't do, myself.  I don't want to see us trade for Samuel, But, Whatever.  I tend to doubt it because any time we hear about the Bills interest in a trade, it never seems to happen.  But whaddo I know?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Go on spotrac right now and show me how. You can't.

You renegotiate a contract extension as part of the trade and set this year's cap hit to be lower than the cap space you have.   In theory, it COULD be done; given what Deebo would probably want before locking himself up in an extension, they'd probably have to renegotiate 1 or more other contracts.

I just don't see why the Bills, having just assumed a $31M dead cap hit for bailing on one WR they negotiated an expensive extension with at age 28 1/2, would be anxious to repeat that with another 28 1/2 yr old WR (and one who has struggled with availability, as well)

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This is true. However if the Bills have had contact with the 49ers either they or Deebo's reps may put it out there to stir interest. And being it mentions 2 teams it's likely agent or the 49ers. 

That said, even in cases like this, the "interest" could be something as simple as the Bills having a casual call with someone on the 49ers staff and asking what they are looking for....which is very common. 

I think once the Bills are serious about negotiations, they make it a condition that nothing is to be leaked until the deal is done.

But I agree (and Beane has said) that a lot of times when the Bills interest is reported, it's as simple as a due diligence phone call. 

• Agree 1

It's interesting to think about a short-range air attack with the Samuels' Deebo and Curtis (Curbo Samuels?), Kincaid, Knox, and Cook creating endless easy options to move the chains, and all with the ability to break one open once in a while. 

But it also seems like overkill. They really need the downfield action a lot more. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I don't buy it at all.

For one thing, his skillset is redundant with Curtis Samuel's. I don't think you need TWO guys like that on your offense. Curtis Samuel is already Deebo lite. Heck, has list name is even Samuel!

For another, the Bills literally CANNOT trade for Deebo right now. It's impossible. See Tweet below.

Lastly, he's 28 and expensive and hasn't had a 1,000 yard season in several years. I think it's smoke. I think it's a lie. 

I think here, Greg Tompsett who is normally reliable about cap issues etc, is skirting what's happened.  There have been several instances where a contract re-negotiation that helped the receiving trade partner's cap took place simultaneously with the trade.  I think the "devil in the details" is that it's formally negotiated by the trading partner and signed off by the player/his rep prior to executing the trade, but 100% it's done on behalf of the receiving partner.

One minor example would be Case Keenum, who agreed to a salary reduction as part of the trade deal that brought him to Buffalo.

2 minutes ago, The All-Pro-Knox Gallery said:

We sure could use him but the draft capital, salary, and injury history is a lot to put on the table.

I feel like almost every SF game I’ve watched, Deebo was down on the turf at some point with an injury. 

I feel like his injury history would make him a little easier to trade for - I'd agree there is some risk there, but that has to be factored in to whatever we give up for him.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I don't understand how NFL analysts, all of NFL twitter, and four pages worth of posts on this thread don't seem to be acknowledging the following:

The Bills CAN'T trade for Deebo. Literally cannot do it. 

The only way it would work is if San Fran said "we'll pay most of his salary this year", which...why would they do that?

Failing that unlikely scenario, the Bills' salary cap situation makes it literally impossible for them to trade for Samuel, Aiyuk, or Higgins right now. They can't afford it.

I think @NoSaint was alluding to this but I've talked about this scenario before with regard to trading Diggs...........the Bills could agree to trade their current pick(s) to the Niners or Seahawks tonight for a future pick(s) of theirs........and then trade it back to them for Aiyuk, Deebo or Metcalf in June.    

But I also think that Beane can pull some levers fast to make cap space. 

It's definitely plausible.

Getting Deebo would be amazing! He is super dynamic and will allow others to get open. He doesnt need to be schemed open. He is fast and powerful. He gets himself open. He can catch in traffic, and he can carry tacklers.

He makes things happen when he gets the ball. His yards per catch and yards per carry are excellent in his career. He doesn't have to get huge numbers to enhance the offence tremendously. 

With Allen, Cook, Deebo, and Kincaid, this offence would be dynamic. 

The negative comments about Deebo are breathetakingly bad. It's almost as if they've never seen the guy play. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think once the Bills are serious about negotiations, they make it a condition that nothing is to be leaked until the deal is done.

But I agree (and Beane has said) that a lot of times when the Bills interest is reported, it's as simple as a due diligence phone call. 

It's a benefit/perk to being a good team. Agents use your team as someone interested hoping other GMs say "Wait if Buffalo is in, should we be as well?". We do the exact same thing whenever we hear the Chiefs name in on someone. "Well, if Andy thinks that LG is good then that's good enough for me."

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think @NoSaint was alluding to this but I've talked about this scenario before with regard to trading Diggs...........the Bills could agree to trade their current pick(s) to the Niners or Seahawks tonight for a future pick(s) of theirs........and then trade it back to them for Aiyuk, Deebo or Metcalf in June.    

there are different mechanisms that could be in play if you really want to make it happen. rarely are moves impossible. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm genuinely curious: Has this ever happened before in the NFL, to your knowledge?

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well, if it's for a pick this year, he better be restructuring right now because 7 pm is fast approaching. Something tells me that's not on his plate right now. Anyway, if there was any team that would do it (and I don't think they will), it should be NE, a receiver-less team with $53.7 million in cap space.

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

There's been way too many "trade proposals", be it JJ, Aiyuk, Higgins...now Deebo.

Fans need to remember that we need to fit said player under our current cap, BEFORE we renegotiate a new deal.

So even if the "price is right", it's technically not possible unless Beane somehow generates the needed cap.

And FYI, Deebos 2024 cap hit is HUGE.  

Not as huge as the $43M dead cap hit for a contending team.  This tweet is complete nonsense. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'm genuinely curious: Has this ever happened before in the NFL, to your knowledge?

Not to my knowledge but we've known about teams agreeing to trade players to specific teams weeks before they were allowed to be traded.    Or, as in the case of Aaron Rodgers, his trade to the Jets became a foregone conclusion in February and finalized April 24.   June 1st is 36 days away.   No reason a place holder pick can't be used.    

But I think there are less involved machinations.   Beane can get to $14M for Aiyuk pretty easy and likely has paperwork in place to address such a scenario immediately.

No they aren’t, 

2 hours ago, 947 said:

We already signed Deebo-lite in Samuel, this makes no sense. Aiyuk is the 49ers WR we should be interested in.

Deebo’s the biggest game changing weapon in football. He makes us  markedly more dangerous and is the perfect complement to our receiving corp and RBs. Question is how does Beane fit him under the cap?

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, if it's for a pick this year, he better be restructuring right now because 7 pm is fast approaching. Something tells me that's not on his plate right now. Anyway, if there was any team that would do it (and I don't think they will), it should be NE, a receiver-less team with $53.7 million in cap space.

It's paperwork and likely already prepared ahead if the possibility of a trade for a vet had been considered(which it likely has).    For all we know everything could be done and agreed to.

This is all smoke and mirrors. The cap hit for Deebo would be almost $43M and SF only has $6M open right now. A Deebo trade would jump his cap hit by $16M. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, H2o said:

This is all smoke and mirrors. The cap hit for Deebo would be almost $43M and SF only has $6M open right now. A Deebo trade would jump his cap hit by $16M. 

You're probably right, but we heard the same things about Diggs not being able to be traded, yet he was.

How on Earth is this nonsense 10 pages already?  LMAO

Guess y'all didn't learn your lesson in yesterday's like 80 pager on how we are gonna make a big move up in the draft nonsense lol.  

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

You're probably right, but we heard the same things about Diggs not being able to be traded, yet he was.

Diggs trade only increased his cap hit $3M...thats a BIG difference in the $16M it jumps SF cap hit.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Guess y'all didn't learn your lesson in yesterday's like 80 pager on how we are gonna make a big move up in the draft nonsense lol.  

The Zach Ertz thread needs to challenged. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Diggs trade only increased his cap hit $3M...thats a BIG difference in the $16M it jumps SF cap hit.  

It doesn’t. It frees up 6M

7 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Deebo’s the biggest game changing weapon in football. He makes us  markedly more dangerous and is the perfect complement to our receiving corp and RBs. Question is how does Beane fit him under the cap?

Wow, that is quite the over exaggeration there.  He is a nice weapon, especially after the catch.  But he is not a great deep ball WR, he doesn't have the best hands, and Brandon Aiyuk is by far the better actual WR on that team.  Deebo makes up for what he lacks as a pure WR in his YAC and his versatility as a runner.  

He also has injury issues.  But the issue is that we have Samuel, Shakir, and Kincaid who are all going to attack from the slot and the short to medium areas of the field.  That is Deebo's sweet spot, so I don't know he is such a great fit for us.  We need a true boundary WR who can attack all 3 phases of the field more than another short area attack weapon.  

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

No one really said that.  They said it would be idiotic.  Which might be true. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not what it says above...says it jumps his cap hit by $16M.  I didn't look into it, just trusting what I am reading in this thread.  

They are wrong. Spotrac has it saving them money if they trade him. 

Why would you trust anything on here? 

Edited by FireChans

2 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Wouldn’t it be weird having two players at the same position with the same last name? 

Like the season we had nine guys on the roster named "Williams"?

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

They are wrong. Spotrac has it saving them money if they trade him. 

Why would you trust anything on here? 

Because I don't care to invest time to look into something that has almost no chance of happening.