Would WR Allen Robinson be worth a look for a 1 year deal?

After hearing Old Beane talking in his PC it doesn’t strike me as a guy who is looking to be over aggressive in the draft. If he does seem to settle for a 2nd/3rd tier as he indicates then I would think a veteran would be helpful as a safety net. At one point Robinson had some decent value but has fallen off in the last few years. Is he a product of getting lost in the shuffle and/or landing up with inexperienced/journeymen (Pittsburgh) QBs? I dunno know if any of that is applicable but I do think that if Beane settles for somebody like McConkey then adding a veteran would hold some value for this offense. 

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 6

1 minute ago, Tipster19 said:

After hearing Old Beane talking in his PC it doesn’t strike me as a guy who is looking to be over aggressive in the draft. If he does seem to settle for a 2nd/3rd tier as he indicates then I would think a veteran would be helpful as a safety net. At one point Robinson had some decent value but has fallen off in the last few years. Is he a product of getting lost in the shuffle and/or landing up with inexperienced/journeymen (Pittsburgh) QBs? I dunno know if any of that is applicable but I do think that if Beane settles for somebody like McConkey then adding a veteran would hold some value for this offense. 

Downvoted but nothing personal.    He's just THAT washed.   He's so washed the last time I saw him on TV he was talking about his game in the past tense.  Bones on the beach washed.

• Agree 8

I understand but boy oh boy a few years back this guy was making incredible catches. I still think if Beane doesn’t make WR a huge priority in the draft then he better bring in some kind of experienced WRs to add to this group. I saw somebody mention OBJ which would be great but not if he’s looking for big money.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think he's toast. And was never great to begin with. If he was Jerry Rice at the end of his career,take a shot. But a WR who was Never great in his career,nah. Also,I'm not sure "settle" is the right description for McConkey. I think he'll be a good/solid player in the league for many years. Just not sure that equates to a first rd pick,at least for us, considering his fit at this time with our current roster

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I think he's toast. And was never great to begin with. If he was Jerry Rice at the end of his career,take a shot. But a WR who was Never great in his career,nah. Also,I'm not sure "settle" is the right description for McConkey. I think he'll be a good/solid player in the league for many years. Just not sure that equates to a first rd pick,at least for us, considering his fit at this time with our current roster

I didn’t intend to throw any shade on McConkey, I misspoke there. I was really hoping and looking forward for Beane to find a way to draft Brian Thomas Jr but at this point I’m getting the feeling that is probably just a pipe dream. I wouldn’t be unhappy if Beane does end up just taking McConkey.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Downvoted but nothing personal.    He's just THAT washed.   He's so washed the last time I saw him on TV he was talking about his game in the past tense.  Bones on the beach washed.

Spot on.  This ☝️

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

I didn’t intend to throw any shade on McConkey, I misspoke there. I was really hoping and looking forward for Beane to find a way to draft Brian Thomas Jr but at this point I’m getting the feeling that is probably just a pipe dream. I wouldn’t be unhappy if Beane does end up just taking McConkey.

I gotcha bud. I'm in the same frame of mind. But I really do like McConkey. I just wonder how many "slot" WRs we can truly use and thrive. A lack of diversity might bite us in the ass eventually. I guess we'll find out soon enough👍

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What do you know about DJ Chark?  Of the FA still available, he and Hunter Renfrew interest me the most, but from what others have told me Renfrew is most productive as a slot (so I think he duplicates Samuel and Shakir).  

Chark:

-had 1000+ yd season with Minshew and Foles throwing to him, 700 yds when it was Minshew and Glennon

-fell off the map under Urban Meyer and Darrell Bevell

-has had 2 ok-ish 30 catch, 500 yd seasons since with DET and CAR

-last 2 seasons average 17 and 15 Y/R, but he doesn't seem to be a deep guy - it's 12 YBC and 4 YAC, so maybe more of an intermediate/short guy?

I really haven't watched the guy play, interest just based on the fact that he had shown a couple good seasons and a couple OK seasons, and he's not an antique (27),

If he is the 2nd receiver, we draft, I am okay with McConkey. He is well-rounded and should be a good player. I just believe based off of tape and physical measurables that Allen can get these guys to a higher level: Thomas, Mitchell, or Legette.

And, as others have said, McConkey seems to be a repetition of what we already have as far as targets for a slot receiver (Shakir) and more of a slot type TE in Kincaid.

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

I don't think we have any clue as to what Beane will do, honestly. 

He left the strong impression that he's not enthused about giving up what he'd have to to move into the top 10, but he didn't rule it out, either. 

And he may not have to - in 2020, for example, when people were predicting IIRC that receivers would go high and 2 were projected to go in the top 10 by several boards, the 6 who were drafted in the 1st round were scattered from pick 12 to pick 25. The best 2 were arguably the 3rd and 5th drafted.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I gotcha bud. I'm in the same frame of mind. But I really do like McConkey. I just wonder how many "slot" WRs we can truly use and thrive. A lack of diversity might bite us in the ass eventually. I guess we'll find out soon enough👍

Ladd lined up at slot very little in college. He line up outside >70% of the time. Ladd, Shakir, and Kinkaid playing off each other would be great. Josh isn’t an anticipation thrower, he throws when he sees someone open. Nobody separates better than Ladd in this draft, including the big 3. His yac is great too. Weakness is getting away form bump and run, but that can be aleviated through motion.

• Like (+1) 1

You could do worse than Robinson as far as kicking the tires on a player but greater than 95% chance he is washed. He's not had a productive season since his very good 2020 season. He's been on 3 teams since 2020 and while he's not ancient at just 31 years old he is not young either. He also comes with a big injury history. My only optimistic case for him would be that he is coming off a fairly healthy season and at age 31 he may have a year left in the tank, plus as a camp body for the minimum deal you could do way worse. I would also say that while his numbers were garbage in 2023 despite staying healthy and starting 17 games, he was mired in a really bad Steelers offense with bad QB's and not the best schemes. Maybe if he is better health wise and in a better passing attack he can rebound? I doubt it, but like I said you are brining him in to be a camp body and maybe a PS vet. 

25 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Ladd lined up at slot very little in college. He line up outside >70% of the time. Ladd, Shakir, and Kinkaid playing off each other would be great. Josh isn’t an anticipation thrower, he throws when he sees someone open. Nobody separates better than Ladd in this draft, including the big 3. His yac is great too. Weakness is getting away form bump and run, but that can be aleviated through motion.

I agree with this, I just think his projected role is slot,with flex outside at the next level. But that's exactly what Shakir and Samuel do. It'd be an interesting rotation for sure. Imagine the pre snap motions! I do however believe we need a true "x" ,and servicable blocker to contribute consistently as well

Kelvin Benjamin v2

10 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

McC can play the outside as well, not just slot.

12 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I agree with this, I just think his projected role is slot,with flex outside at the next level. But that's exactly what Shakir and Samuel do. It'd be an interesting rotation for sure. Imagine the pre snap motions! I do however believe we need a true "x" ,and servicable blocker to contribute consistently as well

It would be interesting to see. Honestly, if they’d have resigned Gabe I could see Shakir sliding into Diggs old role, and McConkey taking up that old Beasley roll in last years offense.

I’m not exactly sure how Brady is going to change things moving forward though, so it’s going to be guess as to how they see each of these players fitting into the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1