NFL draft rumors 2024

On 4/11/2024 at 1:10 PM, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

Getting separation is the most important component of playing wide receiver. It's difficult to tell whether Keon Coleman will be N'Keal Harry or Drake London at the next level.

Josh doesn't tend to throw a lot of 50-50 balls or fades, and only throws to a guy when they're in the open.

A receiver like Troy Franklin at #28 or trading up for Brian Thomas could be electric with Josh throwing them the ball.

I, personally, would think that catching the football is the most important component of playing WR. London is able to make the plays by catching the football. Harry wasn't able to do this. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’d rather go get MHJ to be honest. I’m not as high on Jefferson as most for whatever reason. Although he’s still 24 so that’s a plus

The CTESPN thing is a rumor of Herbert to the Vikings

Wow, Herbert to Vikes.  My brother would be thrilled

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’d rather go get MHJ to be honest. I’m not as high on Jefferson as most for whatever reason. Although he’s still 24 so that’s a plus

I'm no cap expert but looks like a trade hits the Chargers with $63mil dead cap for this year? But a post June 1 trade is only $13mil? Can picks exchange hands on Thursday with a player being designated a post June 1 officially?

22 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

I'm no cap expert but looks like a trade hits the Chargers with $63mil dead cap for this year? But a post June 1 trade is only $13mil? Can picks exchange hands on Thursday with a player being designated a post June 1 officially?

No, it is not allowed. Post 6/1 designation is for cut players only.  

• Like (+1) 1

Not high on Justin Jefferson?

What's not to like about the best WR in the NFL, who is only 24 and wins on every level of the field?

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bag of Milk said:

What's not to like about the best WR in the NFL, who is only 24 and wins on every level of the field?

The only real negative is you can't get him on a rookie contract, and it would cost high draft picks to secure him. (Those are pretty significant, however.)

13 minutes ago, Bag of Milk said:

He will probably cost almost as much as MHJ in trade and will be extremely expensive vs a limited contract for a top draft pick. 

Of course you’re paying for the certainty that this player is for real in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ToGoGo said:

He will probably cost almost as much as MHJ in trade and will be extremely expensive vs a limited contract for a top draft pick. 

Of course you’re paying for the certainty that this player is for real in the NFL. 

The silver lining of taking the big cap hit on Diggs this year is resetting the economic structure of the roster. That is predicated on replacing him with WR talent on a rookie contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bag of Milk said:

I don’t know, his fake hamstring pull TD celebration really annoyed me.  

what was his injury last year? He only played in 10 games

no question his numbers are elite.  If it went well here, he could push for the single season receiving record

IMG_5388.jpeg

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Can he be extended to spread cap for acquiring team before the trade is processed? Or can SEA eat $$

I don’t care enough to look into it 😉 I don’t see him being an option this offseason, but who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Anything is possible, but his cap hit is 24M this year.  If they trade him, it’s 36M

Yeah my bad I meant Legette just seems so comparable to DK, in every way. WOULD THROW UP if we miss on a pick and legette ends up an absolute freak.

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t know why the Chargers would want to trade Herbert - dude can play.  Maybe Harbaugh wants McCarthy?

Lol this would be funny. One giant step towards returning to college, before TC even starts 🤣 he'll be coaching Bama by or before 2026

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Figured! Wondering how that trade could work in practice then. Seems like it just couldn't?

It’s tough to see how the Bills could work a deal to pay an expensive vet contract. They chose not to be more aggressive on contract restructures so that tells me that they chose not to go the high priced vet route. I think next offseason they’ll target to add talent that way. This season it’s just the draft. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I don't know what's more ridiculous - the idea that the Vikings are going to trade the best WR in Football at age 24, following them letting their QB walk to ensure they have enough money to keep him....

Or saying you prefer a Draft Prospect who hasn't played a down in the NFL over the proven best WR in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I don’t know, his fake hamstring pull TD celebration really annoyed me.  

what was his injury last year? He only played in 10 games

no question his numbers are elite.  If it went well here, he could push for the single season receiving record

IMG_5388.jpeg

Jefferson was injured….don’t forget the QB roulette the Vikes had after Cousins was lost

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't know what's more ridiculous - the idea that the Vikings are going to trade the best WR in Football at age 24, following them letting their QB walk to ensure they have enough money to keep him....

Or saying you prefer a Draft Prospect who hasn't played a down in the NFL over the proven best WR in the NFL.

herrbis thr thing….

if try go for Rookie QB then you can invest in a vet WR and other positions.  If minnesota goes for QB thry ent moves thst open cap space in 2025.

if you have QB established, then you use the cheap labor in the draft.

4 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

And would have been available in the pick we traded for Diggs?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s tough to see how the Bills could work a deal to pay an expensive vet contract. They chose not to be more aggressive on contract restructures so that tells me that they chose not to go the high priced vet route. I think they’ll target next offseason to add talent that way. This season it’s just the draft. 

Oh yeah I was referring to the supposed Herbert to MN rumor 

41 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Oh yeah I was referring to the supposed Herbert to MN rumor 

whoops! sorry about that.

no, the chargers can’t trade Hebert. $108.5M dead cap if they traded him. That can’t happen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

whoops! sorry about that.

no, the chargers can’t trade Hebert. $108.5M dead cap if they traded him. That can’t happen. 

Don't say this or use logic.

I just got +25,000 on Chargers first pick being a QB 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

If the Bills had simply drafted Jefferson instead of traded for Diggs, I believe they’d have at least one SB by now (provided Jefferson stayed as healthy as Diggs).
If they had taken Metcalf or AJ Brown in the 2nd instead of Cody Ford, that’s even more compensation the team could’ve kept to hit on other players. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2

18 minutes ago, Brand J said:

If the Bills had simply drafted Jefferson instead of traded for Diggs, I believe they’d have at least one SB by now (provided Jefferson stayed as healthy as Diggs).
If they had taken Metcalf or AJ Brown in the 2nd instead of Cody Ford, that’s even more compensation the team could’ve kept to hit on other players. 

I believe you’re correct, but I can’t fault Beane for making sure he got Allen a proven top tier WR over the potential of Jefferson (or whoever we would’ve taken there). 

That being said.. Diggs want to be in his feels about not getting over the hump with Allen, but he’s a main culprit in why that occurred. 

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Give me any draft and team and I’ll tell you what they could have done better. Jefferson wasn’t even a consensus 1st rd pick. It’s like 4 years from now and Mitchell or legette end up being the best wr in this draft

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Give me any draft and team and I’ll tell you what they could have done better. Jefferson wasn’t even a consensus 1st rd pick. It’s like 4 years from now and Mitchell or legette end up being the best wr in this draft

All the mocks I saw had Jefferson in the first. I remember the two main “knocks” against him were:

Is he primarily a slot receiver? And…

He wasn’t even the best receiver on that LSU team. The number one guy comes out next year (Chase).

Jefferson was of course a missed evaluation on all those who selected receiver before him, as well as Beane for not seeing the potential outside his top 3 of Ruggs, Jeudy, and Lamb. He also didn’t see the potential of those two Ole Miss receivers a year earlier.

Like you, I believe there will be guys who ultimately go on to produce more than one or two of the top 3 names in this draft. It’s one of the reasons I’m against trading up. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Brand J said:

“Simply” 

The decision wasn’t Diggs or Jefferson. The decision was Diggs or the 22nd pick. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5

23 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

One idea I heard floated is that if things fall wrong on getting a WR Day 1 and 2 (amazing non WR in round 1, no one in the mid tier by pick 60) that the Billls could throw picks to get Sutton And Denver eats the money while the Bills take a flier

Not one single GM knew that the fifth receiver drafted that year would turn out to be the best receiver in the NFL. Sit.

• Eyeroll 1

https://wapo.st/3W9A7BM (Gift article):

’The proximity of the Giants’ selection (sixth overall) to Arizona’s fourth pick has many giving New York the edge in completing that trade.

“They aren’t playing with Daniel Jones, I can tell you that much,” a second GM said of the Giants’ incumbent. “I hear it’s McCarthy or Maye” for New York.’

• Thank you (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Brand J said:

Right and if all those things happened BB would be the best GM in NFL history. Hindsight is a great predictor. Several teams chose not to select JJ at WR after the Vikes Bills trade. Yes Ford wasn’t good but had he been then it’s a different story. BB has missed some for sure. But also hit on enough to be a top 10 GM. 

On 4/17/2024 at 4:40 AM, GunnerBill said:

What if he has a crash in the 4th quarter of a critical game though and suddenly you can't use your top weapon on a potential game winning drive? It's that more than anything else that would make me fidgety about drafting someone with type 1 diabetes in the first round. Yes, you can have the best dieticians, you can come up with plans, you can try and manage but in a sport where you then have to go 3 and a half hours on a Sunday and monitor and control constantly in that time.... I dunno. Would concern me. Wouldn't take him off the board but would likely make me drop him a bit if I was a GM.  

Diabetes is very manageable for elite athletes with world class athletic trainers. Yikes,  numerous athletes are diabetic that you aren’t aware of. This should mean nothing to his draft position. I would be more concerned that he takes plays off if that is accurate. 

4 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Diabetes is very manageable for elite athletes with world class athletic trainers. Yikes,  numerous athletes are diabetic that you aren’t aware of. This should mean nothing to his draft position. I would be more concerned that he takes plays off if that is accurate. 

I think the bigger concern is effort and whether he is willing to take coaching.  The rumors about Mitchell are concerning, but we don’t know if they are true.  I trust that the Bills have done a ton of research on these receivers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

All the mocks I saw had Jefferson in the first. I remember the two main “knocks” against him were:

Is he primarily a slot receiver? And…

He wasn’t even the best receiver on that LSU team. The number one guy comes out next year (Chase).

Jefferson was of course a missed evaluation on all those who selected receiver before him, as well as Beane for not seeing the potential outside his top 3 of Ruggs, Jeudy, and Lamb. He also didn’t see the potential of those two Ole Miss receivers a year earlier.

Like you, I believe there will be guys who ultimately go on to produce more than one or two of the top 3 names in this draft. It’s one of the reasons I’m against trading up. 

Agreed. I think Legette may be the guy, huge upside but sizable downside.

I love Ladd but he admittedly does have a limited ceiling, I think. Still if Ladd ends up being a “faster/quicker”  Cole Beasley, nobody is going to complain about a guy with 90 catches, 1100 yards and 8 tds a year.

my best draft idea is Ladd at 28 and trade 60 and a 2nd in 2015 for the low 40s to grab Legette.

the way Josh was talking about Legette (“the dude has the best southern drawl”) leads me to believe he’s someone they’re considering 

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think the bigger concern is effort and whether he is willing to take coaching.  The rumors about Mitchell are concerning, but we don’t know if they are true.  I trust that the Bills have done a ton of research on these receivers.

Mitchell’s workout numbers are as impressive as any wr in the draft, given his size, but his onfield production is mediocre. The Bills talk about YAC a lot and he’s absolutely terrible at YAC. Is this something that can improve possibly with a different use by the Bills? Not sure, but, it is a reason why I think he’s not being targeted by the Bills

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

https://wapo.st/3W9A7BM (Gift article):

’The proximity of the Giants’ selection (sixth overall) to Arizona’s fourth pick has many giving New York the edge in completing that trade.

“They aren’t playing with Daniel Jones, I can tell you that much,” a second GM said of the Giants’ incumbent. “I hear it’s McCarthy or Maye” for New York.’

Makes too much sense. If you are counting on Jones to save your jobs, might as well put your houses on the market now.

24 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

I don't agree that it means nothing. It is manageable but it is also a risk factor that you have to build into the overall evaluation.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I love Ladd but he admittedly does have a limited ceiling, I think. Still if Ladd ends up being a “faster/quicker”  Cole Beasley, nobody is going to complain about a guy with 90 catches, 1100 yards and 8 tds a year.

my best draft idea is Ladd at 28 and trade 60 and a 2nd in 2015 for the low 40s to grab Legette.

the way Josh was talking about Legette (“the dude has the best southern drawl”) leads me to believe he’s someone they’re considering 

Mitchell’s workout numbers are as impressive as any wr in the draft, given his size, but his onfield production is mediocre. The Bills talk about YAC a lot and he’s absolutely terrible at YAC. Is this something that can improve possibly with a different use by the Bills? Not sure, but, it is a reason why I think he’s not being targeted by the Bills

McConkey and Legette is my favored combo pick. I was pushing for Kincaid last year, so if it happens, I'm going to maybe dance in the street. (I live on a rural farm, so only the cows, barn cats, and miniature horses will likely wonder what the damn fool is up to.) They are both late first/early second candidates. Your plan for taking McConkey at 28 and Legette in a trade up is also mine. 

Some folks appear to think wanting two WRs this early makes one a "knucklehead." I don't think they have properly assessed where our WR room is right now. If they don't grab 2 early, I suspect a trade for a veteran may happen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

McConkey at 28 and a trade up to get Legette would be amazing,but I don't see it happening.   McDermott is going to bang the table for CB, Safety and another rotating D lineman.

17 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t have the same confidence in front offices and scouting staffs as most.  How could somebody talk to Jamarcus Russell and not realize he was an idiot who was happy just getting his first contract and then was “I’m good”

17 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

In the long run, it may or may not be a factor in his play depending on if they find the correct manner to manage it and he stays on the routine that's needed. 

It does factor in like any other player with a medical question. Be it diabetes, knee issues, back problems ect....each team has to factor it in and weigh it with everything else. 

Will it play into where he gets picked? Maybe. Maybe not. Takes one team feeling it's worth the risk/reward and he's picked. I do have a feeling if he slips it's more because of possible attitude issues than the diabetes. But being I've never talked to the guy or those in the know I don't know how true they are.

• Like (+1) 1