NFL draft rumors 2024

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Just fyi, that same piece by McGinn notes concerns about Legette's intelligence.  He's not only a one-year wonder but he's also a late bloomer and the whispers are that it's because he's just not very bright (or perhaps, to be fair, learning disabled).  In any event I would think that's just as much if not more of a red flag for this regime than Mitchell's Type 1 diabetes.  This regime likes students of the game.

I have no idea if that's true, but I would agree that it would be a major concern,  if it is.  

24 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Visits, YAC ability, biggest WR in the first two rounds, very willing blocker, gives maximum effort all the time, type of person they draft. 

Coleman is a very explosive player and plays faster than his 40 time. He’s a high level two sport athlete. Too many people are pegging him on the 4.6 40 but got up to 21 MPH in his gauntlet drill 

I just don’t see how you can look past his 0% separation rate against college DB’s and think he will be fine against NFL corners. 

Massive red flag to draft this guy in the first two rounds 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Gee I speculated this weeks ago as a guy who used to work in college football. Highly athletic specimens don’t flounder for 4 years unless unless their dumb or they have a crappy attitude 

Just wondering...What was the QB situation for those 4 years? Has anyone maybe considered that into the equation?

3 minutes ago, DJB said:

I just don’t see how you can look past his 0% separation rate against college DB’s and think he will be fine against NFL corners. 

I oddly think he could be used as a "big slot" type (spare me the "your mom" jokes here please).  When you watch him run drills he's surprisingly fluid and agile.  Maybe he'd be better off on the move than as a boundary receiver.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, DJB said:

Did I say he’s my guy? I just said the tea leaves would indicate it.

Hes their type of player. I’m an FSU fan I’ve watched him a ton this past year. 

He’s a leader, a good blocker, a big bodied WR, gives maximal effort( all traits the Bills love). 

Beane while talking about explosive plays the previous two years talked about YAC something Coleman does really well. 

FSUs offense did him very few favors this year despite being 13-0. FSU ran go routes with Coleman and Wilson all the time and abandoned the middle of the field for long portions of games. I don’t know the reason for that was it because Jordan Travis felt comfortable with that stuff? Was it because they just had two big WRs who they felt could win? 

If you ran go routes all the time don’t you think DBs and coaches would catch on to that which might mitigate his ability to separate? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I oddly think he could be used as a "big slot" type (spare me the "your mom" jokes here please).  When you watch him run drills he's surprisingly fluid and agile.  Maybe he'd be better off on the move than as a boundary receiver.

don't want to draft a slot guy early. hopefull pearsell can be had with a trade back.

1 minute ago, DJB said:

Yeah,  I think you have to consider what he did on the field first...in this case,  significant issues with separation.  If the combine testing confirms that,  which it did,  then you have a problem. The gauntlet drill is interesting,  but in light of his play against live competition,  it seems like an anomaly.  And further,  he didn't do the agility drills,  which makes me wonder why.  

I say that,  but I actually liked him more than I thought I would when I went back and watched him play a bit.  There's something there.  I just don't think I'd want the Bills to be the team to risk it in a deep WR draft. 

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Many are saying that's his best usage in the NFL,  but that's too much crossover into Dalton Kincaid's role,  IMO.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Just wondering...What was the QB situation for those 4 years? Has anyone maybe considered that into the equation?

he had Ryan Hilinski  who wasn’t good and Rattler for two years. Bad QB play plays a part but 700 yards bad in 4 years? I bring this up a lot tho. If Qzb play was so bad than why did Juice Wells crush it with they same QB play 

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

Did I say he’s my guy? I just said the tea leaves would indicate it.

Hes their type of player. I’m an FSU fan I’ve watched him a ton this past year. 

He’s a leader, a good blocker, a big bodied WR, gives maximal effort( all traits the Bills love). 

Beane while talking about explosive plays the previous two years talked about YAC something Coleman does really well. 

FSUs offense did him very few favors this year despite being 13-0. FSU ran go routes with Coleman and Wilson all the time and abandoned the middle of the field for long portions of games. I don’t know the reason for that was it because Jordan Travis felt comfortable with that stuff? Was it because they just had two big WRs who they felt could win? 

If you ran go routes all the time don’t you think DBs and coaches would catch on to that which might mitigate his ability to separate? 

Yes, the coverage will play off.  Now all the underneath opens up.  That is what the offense needs.  Without the ability to run past defenses the secondaries crowd up.  Last season two safeties could sit around 15-20 yards off the LOS.  That makes the windows incredible tight.  Coleman does not make as many contested catches as you would want.  His highlights are probably the best in the draft though.  His addition to the offense doesn't solve the issues defenses are creating to slow them down.    

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I agree but we don’t need a slot. We already have two of those guys 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I'm leaning more and more to the idea that,  if the Bills keep pick 28,  it will be McConkey.  Just in terms of pre-draft visits the last few years,  they seem to have a significant preference for these types of speed/quickness/route-running types early and less apparent concern for height/weight.  Ignoring the top 3 that they have no shot at,  McConkey seems like the best overall of that sub-group,  IMO,  and I think I've about settled on him as WR 5 in this draft. 

If they can add both him and Legette,  I'd definitely be happy.  I'm just not sure how.  I think we're more likely looking at McConkey OR Legette at 28 and maybe whatever is left at 60 or one of the better mid-round prospects in a trade into R3. 

I’m hoping it’s that honky McConkey. 

• Vomit 1

52 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yep. I have long been there. Matt Harmon thinks the same too.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2024 at 6:55 AM, Stokes84 said:

I love the pre-draft hot takes.  I remember A LOT that looked just like this about Josh Allen.

so were using the rare exception to the rule (not the standard) as a measuring stick, not even just to QBs, but to any position/prospect now LOL

i like this! personally, while people may say hes fat, has a 5second 40, one arm, is 37years old. i think we should trade up into top 5 to take BillsShredder83

....did i do this right?

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Gunner: you should do a pod cast!  Your analysis is great and you clearly know what you’re talking about.

@GunnerBill is legit one of the best draft commentary dudes around.

He had Juwan Johnson IIRC as a sleeper target in the 7th round a few years back, and Johnson has 800+ yards and 11 TD’s in the last two seasons.

Guy knows his stuff.  

5 hours ago, DJB said:

0%???  C'mon, who put out that ridiculous number.

And how do they factor in the plays (which were a much larger percentage for Coleman) where he is intentionally running to the defender?  This is by design.  FL had many more plays where they ran Coleman to what they called the "heels of the defender".  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

Coleman is fantastic. IDK what you guys are talking about...separation - the guy returned punts for FSU and caught everything. He ran a bad 40 but is an absolute stud. Go watch some CFB...

I agree.  I think he’s quietly the guy they could be targeting 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

0%???  C'mon, who put out that ridiculous number.

And how do they factor in the plays (which were a much larger percentage for Coleman) where he is intentionally running to the defender?  This is by design.  FL had many more plays where they ran Coleman to what they called the "heels of the defender".  

That number was confirmed by Matt Harmon I believe 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'm leaning more and more to the idea that,  if the Bills keep pick 28,  it will be McConkey.  Just in terms of pre-draft visits the last few years,  they seem to have a significant preference for these types of speed/quickness/route-running types early and less apparent concern for height/weight.  Ignoring the top 3 that they have no shot at,  McConkey seems like the best overall of that sub-group,  IMO,  and I think I've about settled on him as WR 5 in this draft. 

If they can add both him and Legette,  I'd definitely be happy.  I'm just not sure how.  I think we're more likely looking at McConkey OR Legette at 28 and maybe whatever is left at 60 or one of the better mid-round prospects in a trade into R3. 

You're definitely trading up from #60 if you want Legette. It will cost you a 2025 2nd, probably. Maybe Polk is there if you wait. #60 is not a great spot in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

You're definitely trading up from #60 if you want Legette. It will cost you a 2025 2nd, probably. Maybe Polk is there if you wait. #60 is not a great spot in the draft.

That's my expectation as well.  I think Legette probably goes in the top 40.

And I also agree about pick 60.  It seems like it'll be kind of a dead spot in this draft for matching the Bills needs with value. 

Edited by Brandon
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/17/2024 at 5:43 PM, Brandon said:

That's my expectation as well.  I think Legette probably goes in the top 40.

And I also agree about pick 60.  It seems like it'll be kind of a dead spot in this draft for matching the Bills needs with value. 

The Bills are more likely to trade down from 28 and take Legette, than to get him at 60.  I really don't expect them to trade up from 60 to do it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

The Bills are more likely to trade down from 28 and take Legette, than to get him at 60.  I really don't expect them to trade up from 60 to do it.

Im not ruling out a big trade up in the second ..it’s my preferred move they make this year … get on the phone to the Commanders to move up and get a third as well

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

In the month of April, there has been a lot of buzz about the Las Vegas Raiders targeting Washington quarterback Michael Penix Jr. in the 2024 NFL Draft. With new general manager Tom Telesco and head coach Antonio Pierce taking over, Las Vegas could start its re-build with a new franchise quarterback after a disastrous run by former head coach Josh McDaniels. Multiple team sources told WalterFootball.com that Penix is definitely in the running to be taken by the Raiders early in the 2024 NFL Draft.

Sources said Penix could be in play for Las Vegas with its first-round pick, No. 13 overall. However, the Raiders could also take a non-quarterback in the first round and look to move up from their second-round pick for Penix. Las Vegas has needs at cornerback and offensive tackle, so the franchise could look to select a player at one of those positions and then move back up for Penix. The Raiders like a lot of the offensive linemen who could be available at No. 13. That group includes Alabama right tackle J.C. Latham, Penn State offensive tackle Olu Fashanu, Oregon State right tackle Taliese Fuaga and Washington offensive tackle Troy Fautanu. Las Vegas also really likes Toledo cornerback Quinyon Mitchell. Right now, it sounds as if the more likely plan is to acquire Penix rather than taking Mitchell or one of those tackles at with the 13th choice of the 2024 NFL Draft.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I've seen a couple of times that Penix is a guy who will likely go in the first round after the first 4 guys are off the board.  Seahawks were mentioned along with the Raiders and Vikings (if they can't trade up).

16 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Im not ruling out a big trade up in the second ..it’s my preferred move they make this year … get on the phone to the Commanders to move up and get a third as well

Agreed.  Move up into to the top 50

I feel like the overall draft hype is lessened this year.  I feel like it's just way too late.  Do it before the NHL and NBA playoffs start.  There is no need for these extra 2 weeks.  I was ready for this draft in the beginning of April, at this point, I don't even care anymore.  I'm sick of hearing these prospects names.

• Eyeroll 3

17 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

They’ll only drop back into the second if there are a few guys they’d be more or less equally happy with.  If Beane really likes Leggette, he’ll take him at 28…he won’t risk losing him to KC or some other team.  That’s not the way he operates.

18 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

For as sure as the Top 7 looks like it’s going to be with at least the players in mind, 8-32 is an absolute minefield trying to figure out which team is going to go where. 

Yea top 7 is between 8 players 4 QBs, 3 WRs and Joe Alt. Exactly how it falls may be tbc because of trades. But they will be the top 7 will be made up of seven of those 8 guys. 

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

I feel like the overall draft hype is lessened this year.  I feel like it's just way too late.  Do it before the NHL and NBA playoffs start.  There is no need for these extra 2 weeks.  I was ready for this draft in the beginning of April, at this point, I don't even care anymore.  I'm sick of hearing these prospects names.

200.gif?cid=60e32e67v885cctcl1bk9mqr9lwl

• Haha (+1) 2

ESPN draft expert @Jordan_Reid thinks the Commanders will trade into the first round to draft an offensive tackle:

"I think this is the worst kept secret in the draft right now -- is the Commanders trading up from 36 or 40 to get an offensive tackle. It just makes so much sense for them to trade up and take advantage of this deep OL class. I just don't see Adam Peters having so many picks and just waiting to 36 or 40 for one of those guys to fall to him."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

They’ll only drop back into the second if there are a few guys they’d be more or less equally happy with.  If Beane really likes Leggette, he’ll take him at 28…he won’t risk losing him to KC or some other team.  That’s not the way he operates.

My assumption is that Brian Thomas Jr. and Adonai Mitchell comprise a second tier of receivers after Harrison, Odunze and Nabers.  The concern over Adonai Mitchell allegedly having Type 1 diabetes puts a bit of a question mark on that ranking.  Who knows how teams will treat that.  Anyway, McConkey, Worthy, Legette and possibly Franklin and Coleman comprise a third tier.  It's possible Beane values Legette high enough to take him at 28.  He is very cognizant of value regardless of draft position though.  He might reach a little bit for a player he really likes at a position of need, but I don't think he'll reach too far. 

5 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

My assumption is that Brian Thomas Jr. and Adonai Mitchell comprise a second tier of receivers after Harrison, Odunze and Nabers.  The concern over Adonai Mitchell allegedly having Type 1 diabetes puts a bit of a question mark on that ranking.  Who knows how teams will treat that.  Anyway, McConkey, Worthy, Legette and possibly Franklin and Coleman comprise a third tier.  It's possible Beane values Legette high enough to take him at 28.  He is very cognizant of value regardless of draft position though.  He might reach a little bit for a player he really likes at a position of need, but I don't think he'll reach too far. 

I have Legette above both Mitchell and Thomas, who are simply part of tier 2.

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I have Legette above both Mitchell and Thomas, who are simply part of tier 2.

Fair enough.  I think that is a minority view, but everything is opinion at this point and you're just as entitled to  yours as is everybody else.