Where will you watch the eclipse?

Simon

Any interesting plans?

I just got back from a week in Sedona and kayaking out there made me think that it might be fun to be paddling when the eclipse occurs. Tempted to break out one of the shells for the first time this spring and watch from on the water.

Also thought about breaking out the golf clubs for the first time since my 4th back surgery, which has been 6-7 years now. Cruising around on a cart with a cooler through wide open acreage might also be a cool way to watch the shadows and lighting.

Hmmm, maybe I should just sneak a kayak onto a golf course.....

What are y'all thinking about doing?

First off, I LOVE Sedona! 

We plan on watching it from our backyard. Staying away from large crowds. Now if only the clouds that are expected would dissipate around 3 pm...

• Agree 1

I have no plans being in Atlanta, but it was pretty darn cool when it came closer to us a few years ago. I didn’t do anything special then, other than meet up with most of my neighbors in the road. It was like a block party! VERY cool. 

My sister used to date a lifeguard who had scuba gear. He’d sneak into the ponds on the nice courses and scavenge for balls to resell. He said he liked the country clubs because nobody was splashing range balls into the ponds.  😂 

greetings. The shadows from the eclipse through inanimate objects is spectacular. We had fond success the last time 2017 so we will be at home in our back yard where we will be watching hopefully with a few neighbors just for grins. I will serve mimosas virgin or non virgin and put out some snacks. 

crescent shadows and neighborhood bonding FTW with glasses of course 😎 even some eclipse is better than none

PS: I was married in Sedona. It was a gorgeous church called "Church of the red rocks" 3/4 view glass windows looking out at the red rock formations.

reception 4 hours later in Phoenix at the Phoenix Womens Club. Some folks did both some did only one. it was spectacular all around.

what is there not to love about sedona just sayin'.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Any interesting plans?

I just got back from a week in Sedona and kayaking out there made me think that it might be fun to be paddling when the eclipse occurs. Tempted to break out one of the shells for the first time this spring and watch from on the water.

Also thought about breaking out the golf clubs for the first time since my 4th back surgery, which has been 6-7 years now. Cruising around on a cart with a cooler through wide open acreage might also be a cool way to watch the shadows and lighting.

I actually was on a golf course the last time there was an eclipse. Unfortunately, it was cloudy, so the view wasn’t great. But what’s sort of fun is that every time my friends/playing partners and I play that same course, we always talk about the one specific hole where we all saw it. 

Watching from my back yard in Rochester even though I expect it to be cloudy, At least it'll get dark for a few minutes.

Throwing some German hots on the grill.

Being on a golf course or out on the water would be awesome ways to see it, weather permitting of course.

4 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Watching from my back yard in Rochester even though I expect it to be cloudy, At least it'll get dark for a few minutes.

Being on a golf course or out on the water would be awesome ways to see it, weather permitting of course.

The priest from CaddyShack says it depends upon how your round is going.   😋

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

We should break out our grill. Fantastic idea

• Like (+1) 1

Some friends and I are renting a condo this weekend in Lake Placid.  Monday morning after breakfast and checking out we’re climbing Poke-O-Moonshine (smaller mountain in the northern ADK).  Should be right in the middle of the band.  Hoping for clear skies 🤞.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, RichStadiumGuy said:

Right here in my back yard. Totality is within a mile or so of here

If your house is outside the zone of totality, be sure to be inside the zone when the eclipse happens.  This is one time when 99.99% won't cut it.  That .01% of the sun will still block your ability to see the corona, which is amazing to observe.  Good luck!  I'm crossing my fingers toes and all other appendages that the clouds will clear for everyone!! 

• Like (+1) 1

I'll be on the other side of the planet from where the eclipse can be seen.

However, my old Science teacher from 1982 is have a reunion for all of his students to watch it with him.

It's quite extraordinary.  Out of all the things I've forgetting from Jr High science, I remember him telling us that we'd all be invited to watch it with him in 2024.

From what I gather, I wasn't the only one that remembered, with hundreds of former students RSVP'ing to watch it with him.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2024/03/23/solar-eclipse-reunion-rochester-ny-teacher-asked-students-to-return-50-years-ago/72581171007/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Did you guys here about the guy that had a tour of 250 people coming and booked his rooms 2 years ago and they cancelled on him and rose the price 300 bucks?

...  https://buffalonews.com/news/local/business/tour-company-booked-rooms-for-250-people-for-the-eclipse-then-the-hotels-canceled/article_a0c84ecc-ec3a-11ee-b520-176f416d3579.html#tracking-source=mp-in-article

They also had 80 of their hotel rooms booked in Cheektowaga at Aloft Buffalo Airport and Hampton Inn and Suites Buffalo Airport since 2022.

That was until recently, when Donnelly said he received emails from both hotels saying those rooms had been canceled.

I’m genuinely confused at a lot of people out there who have chosen to be cynics and bitter about this. The news outlet Facebook comments are full of people who seem to make it their day to rain on others’ parades.

my avatar is a stark reminder to anyone who thinks of looking upward sans eye wear. Blinding indeed.

My dog will hate it but she is indoors during the eclipse too.

I'm stoked for this event. It's an excuse to enjoy life . Haters gonna hate Hate HATE. People enjoy misery I fully believe it. Miserable people YEP

lol

@Roundybout

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/6/2024 at 3:51 PM, Simon said:

Any interesting plans?

Sedona and kayaking don't go together in my mind.  Is this whitewater?

We have friends visiting with their two Elkhounds.  We'll be driving South tomorrow am (4 people and 3 dogs) to a state recreation area  almost on the centerline of the totality.

The significant unknown is the forecast is "partly cloudy" so crossing fingers.

The rest of the unknown is just how nuts southern MO will be with this.

19 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

If your house is outside the zone of totality, be sure to be inside the zone when the eclipse happens.  This is one time when 99.99% won't cut it.  That .01% of the sun will still block your ability to see the corona, which is amazing to observe.  Good luck!  I'm crossing my fingers toes and all other appendages that the clouds will clear for everyone!! 

I guess I worded that wrong... my house is absolutely well within the "totality" range but according to the official statistics the exact CENTER of the totality range is only about a quarter mile away from here. One quarter of a mile from my house is the town of Clarendon NY.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll be in my backyard hot tubbing it!

Have huge pines lining my yard on the south and west sides. Will block most of the sun. Mostly looking forward to it being dark at that time.  Will be interesting.

I will be in the house watching my 3 year old taking a nap.  Even though I have the glasses, she will take them off to take a look.

WV is in a 90% zone and heavy clouds are forecast.

I'll be in "nap" mode also as the NCAA men's game is on so doggone late. 

Here is Maryland,  expecting 88.4% coverage... which really means we won't notice all that much.  A little twilight-ish and some weird shadowing on the ground but it will not be dark.  At least it will be a clear sunny day, no clouds.

As of 8:20 AM, some rain around Erie, PA.Should be past Buffalo by noon and then scattered clouds after that.  Temp will be about 60, dipping 5 degrees with totality.  Mainline Thruway through Cheektowaga was dead this morning but some streets in NF are already closed.

80% coverage here in NC...plan to watch it and try to get some photos of the cool shadows on the ground.  Very sunny day here.

You Buffalo/WNY folks are lucky!

Right in the front ole back yard.  We have a bunch of food and beers with neighbors coming over.  Cloudy or otherwise, I’m tying one on in the name of science.   

edit:  I just checked the weather report.   It’s gets cloudy…at 3.  Outstanding. 

Edited by teef