If Rex Ryan had not been fired, and we still drafted Josh Allen...

Most advanced statistics indicate that the teams in 2015 and 2016 were better than the 2017 playoff team. It would be exciting to see Rex coach Josh.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Rex Ryan inherited the #2 defense in the NFL from 2014. He proceeded to then turn them into a middling group in 2015 and hired his idiot brother to coach with him in 2016. He wouldn't have gotten this team to the Playoffs multiple times in a row, more or less win multiple division titles in a row. One of the most overrated coaches of all time. 

• Like (+1) 14
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

Rex Ryan inherited the #2 defense in the NFL from 2014. He proceeded to then turn them into a middling group in 2015 and hired his idiot brother to coach with him in 2016. He wouldn't have gotten this team to the Playoffs multiple times in a row, more or less win multiple division titles in a row. One of the most overrated coaches of all time. 

Seriously, he had the defense and the coordinator Schwartz who got the best out of Mario Williams and Marcel Darius, Ryans ego sank him!

If Rex Ryan was the coach the Bills would have drafted Deshaun Watson instead of trading the pick to KC in 2017. Then there would have been the double scandal of massage therapists having Watson exposing himself & rubbing against them while Ryan fondled their feet.  

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Most advanced statistics indicate that the teams in 2015 and 2016 were better than the 2017 playoff team. It would be exciting to see Rex coach Josh.

Really?

The reason they had good advanced statistics is because they were much more talented then the 2017 team.  The reason they underperformed was an unprepared, disorganized, lazy, nepotism riddled, and generally awful coaching staff.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Really?

The reason they had good advanced statistics is because they were much more talented then the 2017 team.  The reason they underperformed was an unprepared, disorganized awful, nepotism riddled coaching staff.

More talented? We had a huge influx of talent in 2017; nailed the draft, Poyer & Hyde, and Shady was healthy. 

Seeing as how Rex was a defensive coach and we had a terrible defense under him, I think it would have gone poorly. He would have been fired eventually.

13 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

More talented? We had a huge influx of talent in 2017; nailed the draft, Poyer & Hyde, and Shady was healthy. 

Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Stephon Gilmore, Ronald Darby. Mario Williams for at least one year. All gone before the first preseason game.

Rex never developed any player with the Bills.  Poyer and Hyde were unproven backups. I doubt very much they would have been as good with Rex.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Agree 1

Maybe they draft Patrick Mahomes.  Terry and Doug liked him we were told but there is no way that a lame duck GM gets to make the franchise altering, QB choice.  That choice was clearly going to be made in 2018.  I think if they hadn't lost that game to the Dolphins in OT where there were only 10 on the field after a timeout, Rex might not have been fired.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Overall the W/L would probably have been worse

But we would have advanced further in the postseason 

I actually agree with this 100% it was the first thought I had as well

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Seriously, he had the defense and the coordinator Schwartz who got the best out of Mario Williams and Marcel Darius, Ryans ego sank him!

Didn’t he have Mario pulling back and defending the pass all the time.  Is he the coach who had Mario wear those stupid red contacts so he was sooo scary 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, H2o said:

Yes!  :thumbsup:   He was a crappy HC who got lucky a couple of times and managed to get a few playoff wins.   In his 6 seasons with the Jests, he had only 2 winning seasons.   His offenses were god awful even with a young QB drafted in the top 5.  He did NOTHING to develop Mark Sanchez, so why would anyone think that he could take a raw young QB like Allen and do anything with him?  

After his failure with the Jests, he mismanaged and miscoached the Bills for almost 2 seasons before being fired, leaving a talent-depleted team for McDermott.   Ryan was a step up from Dick Jauron (easily one of the worst HCs in the NFL in this century), but probably a down-grade from Gailey and Marrone who had significantly less talent to work with.

This one is for all you Ryan fans out there ...  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Rex Ryan was in vacation mode when he coached the Bills, so I doubt it would have worked out for the better. The real question is -- how different would the last couple years have gone if the Bills replaced McDermott with Daboll after 13 seconds?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Yes!  :thumbsup:   He was a crappy HC who got lucky a couple of times and managed to get a few playoff wins.   In his 6 seasons with the Jests, he had only 2 winning seasons.   His offenses were god awful even with a young QB drafted in the top 5.  He did NOTHING to develop Mark Sanchez, so why would anyone think that he could take a raw young QB like Allen and do anything with him?  

After his failure with the Jests, he mismanaged and miscoached the Bills for almost 2 seasons before being fired, leaving a talent-depleted team for McDermott.   Ryan was a step up from Dick Jauron (easily one of the worst HCs in the NFL in this century), but probably a down-grade from Gailey and Marrone who had significantly less talent to work with.

This one is for all you Ryan fans out there ...  

Well stated.  Rex is my least favourite Bills coach. 

McDermott's in-game management is questionable, but he was Vince Lombardi compared to Ryan's game management. Who can forget the penalties, including one or two for 12 men on the field every game? There was a lackadaisical culture, and Rob Ryan's defenses made almost every quarterback look like Allen or Mahomes. There was no culture, and most of the more talented players were there for the paycheck.

Revisionist history can make the grass seem greener, but most of us couldn't wait to see Ryan gone by the end of 2016. I know we are frustrated with being stuck in the mud as a playoff but not a Super Bowl team, but let's not forget where we were in the drought. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

I assume you got heat sheets to back that up?

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

how do you think the Bills would be now?  

I don't think we'd have had winning seasons in 2017 or 2019 and he'd have been fired. There is zero chance he'd still be Head Coach. He was ***** terrible.

11 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Well stated.  Rex is my least favourite Bills coach. 

And mine. And by a long, long, long, long way. The guy is a total fraud.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I don't think we'd have had winning seasons in 2017 or 2019 and he'd have been fired. There is zero chance he'd still be Head Coach. He was ***** terrible.

He was a really good coach who did not adjust to the new generation of the NFL

At one point he was at the game and it slowly passed him up

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

The 2015 roster was by a distance the best Bills roster of the drought. And played a soft as ***** schedule. And Rex went 8-8 after being 6-8 and out of the running with two weeks to go. 

He ***** sucked.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was a really good coach who did not adjust to the new generation of the NFL

At one point he was at the game and it slowly passed him up

I don't think he ever tried in Buffalo. He was half assing it the moment he arrived. To be honest I always thought he wae overrated riding the coat tails of some talented defenses in Baltimore and New York. I hated the hire. When I speak to my ex we still laugh about my reaction the day he was hired. I was close to jump off a bridge territory. But we didn't even get the best Rex. We got the pay cheque collector.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he ever tried in Buffalo. He was half assing it the moment he arrived. To be honest I always thought he wae overrated riding the coat tails of some talented defenses in Baltimore and New York. I hated the hire. When I speak to my ex we still laugh about my reaction the day he was hired. I was close to jump off a bridge territory. But we didn't even get the best Rex. We got the pay cheque collector.

Well that's the thing.. we got the rex that stopped trying

Not fat Rex who was the best defensive mind in the world... 

Just cuz you were the best doesn't mean you stay the best... Young hungry coaches kept adapting and he stayed stagnant

Remember at the end of the day it is the Jimmy's and the Joe's not the x's and o's... You need good professional football players to buy in... Because they don't always

He got professional football players to buy in to his system for a decade with top notch professional results

He certainly was not overrated when he cared

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Disagree 2

@SoTier

You literally have that much blind hatred for his stint in buffalo that you disagree that at one point he was one of the best defensive minds in the world?

There is not one person in NFL circles who would say late 90s early 2000 rex Ryan was not a top defensive mind

He was ahead of the game and his system and the numbers they put up show it

His time in Buffalo has nothing to do about how good he was when his head was in the game in his early days 

He wasn't a good head coach in Buffalo......  But he was a tremendously good football coach at one point in his life

His Oklahoma Sooners defense was very good before he went to Baltimore ..  the Sooners were terrible his only year there.. and he inherited a defense that gave up 30 points a game and was one of the worst in the country... His 1 year his defense kept Oklahoma in games... And was the best part of the team

He definitely started getting full of himself in New York City and that is when he was done 

He obviously was a joke in Buffalo @GunnerBill

He certainly did not suck his way up the coaching ranks he's always maxed out talent before he stopped caring

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1