Post your sleepers here

Yantha

I've been mocking a bit now, and today I stumbled on a player that is jumping off the page for me in round 4, or therabouts.

Listed in some places as a safety, and in others as a linebacker.

I'm talking about 6'5" James Williams.  As far as I can tell, he played Safety mostly in Florida.  

PFN_Draft_result_1712017848230.thumb.png.30dd125b2e5f0985cc98f3d5de8d30f3.png

Edited by Yantha
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Yantha said:

I've been mocking a bit now, and today I stumbled on a player that is jumping off the page for me in round 4, or therabouts.

I'm talking about 6'5" James Williams.  As far as I can tell, he played Safety mostly in Florida.  

His instincts and attitude are so poor that radar can't detect him.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Can you post a link to some articles about him or do you just know from experience / as a fan?

Article RE:  James Williams.  Specifically mentions great attitude.  Worked out at linebacker but has ball skills of a safety.

https://www.si.com/college/miami/football/miami-hurricanes-safety-james-williams-linebacker-senior-bowl-jim-nagy-nfl-scouts-impressed

Posted (edited)

Also, the Bills Secondary Coach Jahmil Addae was James Williams' coach in Miami before he was hired by Buffalo.  Inside track on information.  It will be interesting to look at ALL Miami secondary draft prospects (i.e. Kinchens....)

Edited by Yantha
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Yantha said:

Also, the Bills Secondary Coach Jahmil Addae was James Williams' coach in Miami before he was hired by Buffalo.  Inside track on information.  It will be interesting to look at ALL Miami secondary draft prospects (i.e. Kinchens....)

There's a number of players that have the Addae connection. Kam Kinchens, Javon Bullard, and Tykee Smith all also fit that same mold.

Javon Bullard is far and away my favorite of the group.

• Like (+1) 3

James Williams lives off of being a 5 star in HS. He’s a lower the shoulder non wrap up tackler. He can’t cover at safety. He had a lot of teams back off of him in HS for rumors of him doing stuff. 

Im biased as an FSU fan and Mike Norvell is very big on culture. During the FSU game, Williams snapped Jordan Travis chain right off his neck and Norvell shook Kam Kitchens hand but cold shouldered James Williams 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Very nice draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I really like Williams. Listed as both a S and LB I feel like he’s a perfect fit for our defense.  Could love him around anywhere. Maybe he’s not perfect at either but he’s a Swiss Army knife that can do both of needed. Keep him on the field in pass heavy downs as a S and run heavy downs as a LB. Can literally have in him on any down and move him all over. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Edge rusher Mohamed Kamara ran a 4.57-40,  30.5 sacks at Colorado State

I really like Kamara too. Bigger and faster than Jerry Hughes. Lots of production. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, mrags said:

I really like Williams. Listed as both a S and LB I feel like he’s a perfect fit for our defense.  Could love him around anywhere. Maybe he’s not perfect at either but he’s a Swiss Army knife that can do both of needed. Keep him on the field in pass heavy downs as a S and run heavy downs as a LB. Can literally have in him on any down and move him all over. 

He can man up with the Kelce's of the world and at his size, would be able to hold up well I think.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Yantha said:

He can man up with the Kelce's of the world and at his size, would be able to hold up well I think.

100%

I wouldn’t take him on rds 1-3. But I would absolutely think about him in rd4 or after. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I really like Kamara too. Bigger and faster than Jerry Hughes. Lots of production. 

I really liked Maxx Crsoby the year came out and I might like Kamara even more, relentless just like Crosby but I think Kamara has more power. I really wish he was a bit taller and heavier but I think he could be a steal in the 4th round (as he's projected by some to be a 3rd-4th round prospect).

• Like (+1) 5

Nick Garguilo, C, South Carolina

He has an edge to him and is just a classic nasty IOL. He’s extremely intelligent as well as a Yale transfer. I had to deal with the kid, coaching against him in high school. He was a terror then. A LT who moved inside, I think he’s a natural and will probably be one of those guys who is drafted late and starts at center somewhere for 10 years. Great RAS scores as well. Great size, long arms, huge hands. I think he makes it. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's a number of players that have the Addae connection. Kam Kinchens, Javon Bullard, and Tykee Smith all also fit that same mold.

Javon Bullard is far and away my favorite of the group.

Seconded Bullard. 

WR, Bullard, WR is my ideal draft top 3.

I liked Antonio Johnson a lot a few years ago and thought he was a lock to be either a Bill or gone in the second and he went far far later. So imo there’s a chance Bullard is hanging around in the late second.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Yantha said:

That is exactly what we lack.

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He has an edge to him and is just a classic nasty IOL. He’s extremely intelligent as well as a Yale transfer. I had to deal with the kid, coaching against him in high school. He was a terror then. A LT who moved inside, I think he’s a natural and will probably be one of those guys who is drafted late and starts at center somewhere for 10 years. Great RAS scores as well. Great size, long arms, huge hands. I think he makes it. 

If we had a 3rd round pick, that's who I would use it on.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Seems like a McBeane guy...

• Like (+1) 1

I would like WR Jha'Quan Jackson, Tulane, in round 6 or 7. He's Ed Reed's nephew. What I like about him is that if you're thinking of a depth WR who gets maybe 12 targets in an entire season you want someone that can create explosive plays with those limited reps. His acceleration and vertical traits give you that. There is some upside there that maybe he could turn into a productive slot/vertical receiver after a year or two of development. Most importantly for a late round sleeper he could immediately contribute on special teams as a kick and punt returner, under a new set of rules where that skill set matters maybe more than ever.

NFL pedigree, explosive traits, special teams contributions. That's all you can ask for out of a late round flyer.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Yantha said:

Can you post a link to some articles about him or do you just know from experience / as a fan?

Article RE:  James Williams.  Specifically mentions great attitude.  Worked out at linebacker but has ball skills of a safety.

https://www.si.com/college/miami/football/miami-hurricanes-safety-james-williams-linebacker-senior-bowl-jim-nagy-nfl-scouts-impressed

I'm guessing this is addressed to me?    He was an entitled 5 star safety recruit who was overrated athletically and lacked instincts.    As a result he always seemed to arrive a tick too late to make a play and then out of frustration he would routinely deliver late hits and commit personal fouls and double down on his ineffectiveness.    One of those knuckleheads who drove fans and coaches nuts.   Reminds me a lot of Nigel Bradham.......5 star overhyped recruit turned day 3 pick.........who wasn't very smart, wouldn't fit in this defense at all now and was a frustrating sh!t show to witness when he had to play his first 2 years with the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I would like WR Jha'Quan Johnson, Tulane, in round 6 or 7. He's Ed Reed's nephew. What I like about him is that if you're thinking of a depth WR who gets maybe 12 targets in an entire season you want someone that can create explosive plays with those limited reps. His acceleration and vertical traits give you that. There is some upside there that maybe he could turn into a productive slot/vertical receiver after a year or two of development. Most importantly for a late round sleeper he could immediately contribute on special teams as a kick and punt returner, under a new set of rules where that skill set matters maybe more than ever.

NFL pedigree, explosive traits, special teams contributions. That's all you can ask for out of a late round flyer.

Jackson, not Johnson. He will get drafted for return ability for sure. I'm not sure he is going to be much more than that in the NFL but his play in the return game should keep him in the league for a few years. 

8 hours ago, Motorin' said:

You'd have to worry about how poor he was at the Shrine game against competition he should have been dominating. That was definitely a concern for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mine is Jermaine Burton - WR - University of Alabama. I'm calling him a sleeper because he is a first round talent imo but I don't often read about him being selected in round one. here is why:

1) He is said to be a bit of a head case. 

2) His quarterback (Jalen Milroe) isn't so great imo. Some of the passes in this video were very good. Others didn't hit Burton in stride. Milroe is not very accomplished at short to mid range passes imo.

3) It is worth noting that at the Alabama Pro Day, Burton chose QB Ty Simpson to throw to him over Milroe. 

I really can see this kid as a great #2 for Josh, who is 100x better than Milroe. I think that Jermaine would be open all over the field and score TDs.

As always, JMO.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sleeper? Going by guys who are currently projected 4th round or later…

RB: Jaylen Wright, Tennessee

IOL: Mason McCormick, South Dakota

OT: Roger Rosengarten, Washington

WR: Javon Baker, UCF / Cornelius Johnson, Michigan

TE: Jared Wiley, TCU

DT: Gabe Hall, Baylor

EDGE: Cedric Johnson, Ole Miss

LB: Curtis Jacobs, Penn State

CB: Jarrian Jones, FSU / Khyree Jackson, Oregon

S: Jaden Hicks, Washington State / Jaylon Carlies, Missouri

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Mine is Jermaine Burton - WR - University of Alabama. I'm calling him a sleeper because he is a first round talent imo but I don't often read about him being selected in round one. here is why:

2) His quarterback (Jalen Milroe) isn't so great imo. Some of the passes in this video were verygood. Others didn't hit Burton in stride. Milroe is not very accomplished at short to mid range passes imo.

3) It is worth noting that at the Alabama Pro Day, Burton chose QB Ty Simpson to throw to him over Milroe. 

I really can see this kid as a great #2 for Josh, who is 100x better than Milroe. I think that Jermaine would be open all over the field and score TDs.

As always, JMO.

Burton is giving Steve Smith vibes. He's just got this nastiness to him you'd love to see. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Jackson, not Johnson. He will get drafted for return ability for sure. I'm not sure he is going to be much more than that in the NFL but his play in the return game should keep him in the league for a few years. 

You'd have to worry about how poor he was at the Shrine game against competition he should have been dominating. That was definitely a concern for me. 

Strange, I googled Mohamed Kamara east west shrine game and the first article that popped up was "Kamara's abilities as a pass rusher were on display in the Shrine Bowl, particularly in the first half. He showed nice speed around the edge forcing opposing quarterbacks to make several uncomfortable throws throughout the game." All the articles below also state the same 1 of them being Sports Illustrated. I didn't watch the game so I can't tell you but if he had that terrible of a performance I think it would be there no?

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Strange, I googled Mohamed Kamara east west shrine game and the first article that popped up was "Kamara's abilities as a pass rusher were on display in the Shrine Bowl, particularly in the first half. He showed nice speed around the edge forcing opposing quarterbacks to make several uncomfortable throws throughout the game." All the articles below also state the same 1 of them being Sports Illustrated. I didn't watch the game so I can't tell you but if he had that terrible of a performance I think it would be there no?

I watched the game. He had a few moments. I picked him out in my write up of the game. He didn't have a terrible performance. But I thought he was the most talented player on either roster. I wanted to see him dominate, and he didn't. I think he has a chance to be a decent rotational rusher in the NFL. But that is the ceiling for me and I was kinda hoping for more. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

2) His quarterback (Jalen Milroe) isn't so great imo. Some of the passes in this video were verygood. Others didn't hit Burton in stride. Milroe is not very accomplished at short to mid range passes imo.

As always, JMO.

I like Burton as a player. However, he seems to be a head case and not a great fit from a culture standpoint. He stuck a female Tennessee fan who came on the field after they upset Alabama. Stories of him being difficult to deal with and not being liked by teammates. It's rumored he wasn't invited to the Senior Bowl because they thought he might be a problem and didn't want him there.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I like Burton as a player. However, he seems to be a head case and not a great fit from a culture standpoint. He stuck a female Tennessee fan who came on the field after they upset Alabama. Stories of him being difficult to deal with and not being liked by teammates. It's rumored he wasn't invited to the Senior Bowl because they thought he might be a problem and didn't want him there.

I agree he won't be a Bill. But this thread isn't about being a Bill. It is about sleepers. 

Equally I don't think he is a first round talent. I think he is a second round talent who will go later on the basis of off field and inconsistency.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree he won't be a Bill. But this thread isn't about being a Bill. It is about sleepers. 

Equally I don't think he is a first round talent. I think he is a second round talent who will go later on the basis of off field and inconsistency.

Fair. I assumed that this was a thread about both, considering the OP included a Bills mock and discussion has been about players like James Williams' connection to the Bills and the post I was replying to talked about the possibility of him and Josh together.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

On 4/1/2024 at 8:23 PM, Yantha said:

i also like Polk

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

we would be crazy to skip him and let a team like Kc grab him.  Pickens was supposed to be “a lot” and he has been great on Pgh. Burton may need a better environment?  Wosh he was at Sr bowl, seems like a missed chance for scouts. 

Lots of decent shouts already in this thread. Here are my sleepers - some of whom I mentioned in another post last week but with a bit of added detail here:

Elijah Jones, Cornerback, Boston College

3rd round grade

Elijah Jones has risen through the process to the point where he is probably a consensus day two pick whereas when I first assigned him a round 3 grade it was common to see people talking about him as a day three guy. The thing that stand out with him is ball skills - he had five interceptions in 2023 - and his ability to play press technique at the line. He reminds me a bit of Emmanuel Forbes last year and a bit of Kaiir Elam the year before in that he is tall and slender and sometimes his long limbs cause him issues in transitions when playing off. Neither of those guys has been a success yet in the league but I'd argue both were forced into schemes they didn't truly fit and you are not paying a 1st round price to snag Jones. The other concern is Jones is already 24 and the fact that he hasn't begun to fill out his frame at that age is a factor teams need to consider. 

Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, Safety, Texas Tech

Round 3 grade

Dadrion Taylor-Demerson also fits the description of a guy that the talking heads have now caught up to after a really strong Combine. I was told by one well connected source that the league was already pretty high on him before that and he benefits from being in a class where a lot of the popular early safety names fit better as box guys who can cover half the field in two deep looks. DTD is a genuine deep safety with the speed to go side to side as a centre fielder and can also reduce down and play the nickel in certain packages. He can improve his tackling against the run, but at the same time he forced incompletions on 20% of the plays where he was targeted in 2023. In a passing league that does not go unnoticed. 

Deantre Prince, Cornerback, Ole Miss

Round 4 grade

Another defensive back but this time one where the consensus definitely hasn't caught up with me on him despite Prince running a 4.38 in the 40 yard dash at the Combine. He is another corner that just always seems to be around the ball and has had 16 pass breakups the past two seasons. He is also a fantastic run support defender with 5 tackles for loss in 2023. That aggression can sometimes be used against him and there it, it must be said, some inconsistency on his film which leaves you wondering whether he goes full gas every down but I think he could be a starting nickel in the right scheme and has enough size to get by on the boundary too if needs be. 

Jalyx Hunt, EDGE, Houston Christian University

Round 5 grade

It will be no surprised to people who have asked me about it this draft season but I am not high on the depth of this edge class. Proof of the pudding comes in Hunt being my 12th ranked edge despite putting up just 6.5 sacks playing in the FCS Southland Conference against such college football powerhouses as McNeese State University and Prairie View A&M. But this guy was at the Senior Bowl and has some raw ingredients. He is super explosive, he has length, he can bend and he has quick twitchy feet - that is a pretty good starting point for any edge rusher. He has mainly been a stand up guy in a 3-4 and needs to add some bulk and be better converting speed to power to be a three down player but as a situational pass rusher this guy is worth a swing, especial for 3-4 defense teams.

Darius Muasau, Linebacker UCLA

Round 6/7 grade

Muasau was a stand out performer at the East-West Shrine game and while he won't wow anyone with size or speed he is relentless in terms of his motor and his pursuit of the football. Despite his size he plays tough and physical against the inside run game, maintains lane discipline and wins reps based on his instincts and play recognition skills. He needs to work on his pass coverage, especially zone drops, but he could earn his way onto the field early just through his sheer effort. 

Roger Rosengarten, Offensive Tackle, Washington

4th round grade

Roger Rosengarten is a guy who knows how to play offensive tackle. In terms of understanding of how rushers are trying to attack him and using his technique and length to maintain his blocks he is a high level prospect. The questions are mainly about athleticism and whether he uses his size as effectively as he could. I know his RAS score from the combine was impressive but you don't see an athletic prospect so much on tape. That will drop him to this sort of range where someone will pick up a starting offensive lineman, either at tackle or shifted inside to guard.

Cornelius Johnson, Wide Receiver, Michigan

4th round grade 

Johnson is yet another older prospect (23) and this class does seem to be littered with them on day 3. He is an athletic freak who just leaves you wanting more from him when you watch the tape. The modest production, to an extent, can be put down to the offense he played in for the Wolverines. When you watch the 2022 Ohio State game tape you think this guy has WR1 potential in the NFL but the consistency hasn't been there and he has struggled against man coverage in particular. However he is 6'2, 212lbs runs a 4.45 and is physical at the catch point. That skillset remains tantalising if he can put it all together. 

Tip Reiman, Tight End, Illinois

5th round grade

Reiman looked like the classic backup tight end who has the ability to block and while he needs to tidy up his technique some could sustain a career in the league with the combination of blocking ability and sure hands as an occasional passing option. However, when he blew up the Combine posting a 9.92 RAS score I think a lot of people re-traced their steps and took a second look. He actually reminds me some of Dawson Knox. He is going to be a serviceable two way tight end who will excel in the redzone. He isn't quite as agile or quick as Knox but there are some similarities in their game, especially with ball in hand.

Antony Gould, Wide Receiver, Oregon State

6th/7th round grade

Gould is a classic late day 3 type receiver who is going to be a weapon in the return game and play a bit of gimmick receiver for you on bubble screens, reverses and jet sweeps. He ran a 4.39 at the Combine after scoring a punt return touchdown in the Shrine Bowl which has contributed to him moving up boards in the spring. I think he has probably earned himself a draft pick now, and his special teams ability give him a shot to make an NFL roster. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Lots of decent shouts already in this thread. Here are my sleepers - some of whom I mentioned in another post last week but with a bit of added detail here:

Elijah Jones, Cornerback, Boston College

3rd round grade

Elijah Jones has risen through the process to the point where he is probably a consensus day two pick whereas when I first assigned him a round 3 grade it was common to see people talking about him as a day three guy. The thing that stand out with him is ball skills - he had five interceptions in 2023 - and his ability to play press technique at the line. He reminds me a bit of Emmanuel Forbes last year and a bit of Kaiir Elam the year before in that he is tall and slender and sometimes his long limbs cause him issues in transitions when playing off. Neither of those guys has been a success yet in the league but I'd argue both were forced into schemes they didn't truly fit and you are not paying a 1st round price to snag Jones. The other concern is Jones is already 24 and the fact that he hasn't begun to fill out his frame at that age is a factor teams need to consider. 

Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, Safety, Texas Tech

Round 3 grade

Dadrion Taylor-Demerson also fits the description of a guy that the talking heads have now caught up to after a really strong Combine. I was told by one well connected source that the league was already pretty high on him before that and he benefits from being in a class where a lot of the popular early safety names fit better as box guys who can cover half the field in two deep looks. DTD is a genuine deep safety with the speed to go side to side as a centre fielder and can also reduce down and play the nickel in certain packages. He can improve his tackling against the run, but at the same time he forced incompletions on 20% of the plays where he was targeted in 2023. In a passing league that does not go unnoticed. 

Deantre Prince, Cornerback, Ole Miss

Round 4 grade

Another defensive back but this time one where the consensus definitely hasn't caught up with me on him despite Prince running a 4.38 in the 40 yard dash at the Combine. He is another corner that just always seems to be around the ball and has had 16 pass breakups the past two seasons. He is also a fantastic run support defender with 5 tackles for loss in 2023. That aggression can sometimes be used against him and there it, it must be said, some inconsistency on his film which leaves you wondering whether he goes full gas every down but I think he could be a starting nickel in the right scheme and has enough size to get by on the boundary too if needs be. 

Jalyx Hunt, EDGE, Houston Christian University

Round 5 grade

It will be no surprised to people who have asked me about it this draft season but I am not high on the depth of this edge class. Proof of the pudding comes in Hunt being my 12th ranked edge despite putting up just 6.5 sacks playing in the FCS Southland Conference against such college football powerhouses as McNeese State University and Prairie View A&M. But this guy was at the Senior Bowl and has some raw ingredients. He is super explosive, he has length, he can bend and he has quick twitchy feet - that is a pretty good starting point for any edge rusher. He has mainly been a stand up guy in a 3-4 and needs to add some bulk and be better converting speed to power to be a three down player but as a situational pass rusher this guy is worth a swing, especial for 3-4 defense teams.

Darius Muasau, Linebacker UCLA

Round 6/7 grade

Muasau was a stand out performer at the East-West Shrine game and while he won't wow anyone with size or speed he is relentless in terms of his motor and his pursuit of the football. Despite his size he plays tough and physical against the inside run game, maintains lane discipline and wins reps based on his instincts and play recognition skills. He needs to work on his pass coverage, especially zone drops, but he could earn his way onto the field early just through his sheer effort. 

Roger Rosengarten, Offensive Tackle, Washington

4th round grade

Roger Rosengarten is a guy who knows how to play offensive tackle. In terms of understanding of how rushers are trying to attack him and using his technique and length to maintain his blocks he is a high level prospect. The questions are mainly about athleticism and whether he uses his size as effectively as he could. I know his RAS score from the combine was impressive but you don't see an athletic prospect so much on tape. That will drop him to this sort of range where someone will pick up a starting offensive lineman, either at tackle or shifted inside to guard.

Cornelius Johnson, Wide Receiver, Michigan

4th round grade 

Johnson is yet another older prospect (23) and this class does seem to be littered with them on day 3. He is an athletic freak who just leaves you wanting more from him when you watch the tape. The modest production, to an extent, can be put down to the offense he played in for the Wolverines. When you watch the 2022 Ohio State game tape you think this guy has WR1 potential in the NFL but the consistency hasn't been there and he has struggled against man coverage in particular. However he is 6'2, 212lbs runs a 4.45 and is physical at the catch point. That skillset remains tantalising if he can put it all together. 

Tip Reiman, Tight End, Illinois

5th round grade

Reiman looked like the classic backup tight end who has the ability to block and while he needs to tidy up his technique some could sustain a career in the league with the combination of blocking ability and sure hands as an occasional passing option. However, when he blew up the Combine posting a 9.92 RAS score I think a lot of people re-traced their steps and took a second look. He actually reminds me some of Dawson Knox. He is going to be a serviceable two way tight end who will excel in the redzone. He isn't quite as agile or quick as Knox but there are some similarities in their game, especially with ball in hand.

Antony Gould, Wide Receiver, Oregon State

6th/7th round grade

Gould is a classic late day 3 type receiver who is going to be a weapon in the return game and play a bit of gimmick receiver for you on bubble screens, reverses and jet sweeps. He ran a 4.39 at the Combine after scoring a punt return touchdown in the Shrine Bowl which has contributed to him moving up boards in the spring. I think he has probably earned himself a draft pick now, and his special teams ability give him a shot to make an NFL roster. 

Thanks, keep em coming.