RIP Vontae Davis

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

The ... I don't even know where to begin because I have thought about it plenty as I age and can think it out occasionally but then stumble.

Men can't feel in modern society. Men can't show emotions or react to situations. Too easily we simply overreact because of various reasons. Or too many times we don't know how to react. I don't know where what or how or why but somewhere men have not adapted and evolved like women.

Anything must be done at this point. 

I completely disagree... we are not a monolith, all the same. Men of passion and empathy many times react and show great emotion. I have dated women who were as cold as ice and didn't show enough emotion or empathy for me.

It is entirely possible that Vontae Davis was experiencing issues with CTE and suffering in silence and he needed a TERRIBLE way out. I myself at 50 sometimes think about what I have to be prepared for in case of a gradual debilitating disease, for I do not intend to rot away in hospice of dementia.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Suicide doesnt mean CTE. Plenty of people commit suicide without CTE.

Suicide for some is best solution when life backs you into corner with no way out but the government criminalizes it and part of it is financial (IRS has specific statures).   Death penalty still exists for some crimes but it is a crime to decide to take your own life. 

I have had some friends who have taken their own life and in most cases I understood.  One was in car accident from a hit and run which put her in bed for rest of her life with tubes supplying all nutrition since much of her digestive system was ruined.  Driver was never penalized. She played online gaming for a while but discovered half a life is sometimes is no life and committed suicide.  She had a number of in-game friends who were sad but owner/chief moderator of game told it was a bull story where her sister who was given her login/password tried to selling her items to donate to a charity which helped her.  

Suicide is not always sign of mental illness but mental clarity.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I completely disagree... we are not a monolith, all the same. Men of passion and empathy many times react and show great emotion. I have dated women who were as cold as ice and didn't show enough emotion or empathy for me.

It is entirely possible that Vontae Davis was experiencing issues with CTE and suffering in silence and he needed a TERRIBLE way out. I myself at 50 sometimes think about what I have to be prepared for in case of a gradual debilitating disease, for I do not intend to rot away in hospice of dementia.

Part A)  men under 40 are vastly different regardless of their generation to being connected to emotions and maturity. men under 30 are greatly different than men who have settled own some. women talk to each other routinely about hteir feelings, their day, etc. 

i know maybe 5 guys that generally chit chat. and as men get involved with fatherhood, etc. men generally shut down and become much more subdued to focus on their family and use that as their driving force and impetus of self worth.

b) i don't think anyone can say what CTE may or may not have done. i read a study somewhere last month that more and more non-professional and non-contact sports people have been diagnosed with it over the last so many years. i think ti's still growing a bunch in the way we understand it and its role.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Robin Williams suicide was a good example.  He had Lewy body dementia and knew it would get worse and decided he did not want to go thru with it. Quality of life would suffer too much.

• Like (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

Suicide for some is best solution when life backs you into corner with no way out but the government criminalizes it and part of it is financial (IRS has specific statures).   Death penalty still exists for some crimes but it is a crime to decide to take your own life. 

I have had some friends who have taken their own life and in most cases I understood.  One was in car accident from a hit and run which put her in bed for rest of her life with tubes supplying all nutrition since much of her digestive system was ruined.  Driver was never penalized. She played online gaming for a while but discovered half a life is sometimes is no life and committed suicide.  She had a number of in-game friends who were sad but owner/chief moderator of game told it was a bull story where her sister who was given her login/password tried to selling her items to donate to a charity which helped her.  

Suicide is not always sign of mental illness but mental clarity.

Suicide, while sometimes understandable, is never a sign of mental clarity.  While the friend you described was in a horrible situation, it seems she had friends and was adjusting until a bullying incident.  Also, the majorities of suicide are due to mental illness—or a misguided feeling that the person committing suicide will never be able to adopt to some (sometimes awful) life change.  There is always hope and those considering suicide should get professional help, always. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Man, I'm really saddened by this loss : /

Seemed like a genuinely good natured, spoken dude.

Vontae retiring at half time may be one of my favourite Bills memories. We tend to take things so serious sometimes, and Vontae just saying you know what. I'm done... is just priceless to me. 

May he rest in peace 🙏

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is it too soon for this?

I don't think so, as long as it's good spirits. 

Heck of a player and a heck of a person. One of my favourite football moments. Cracks me up every time xD 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

Man, I'm really saddened by this loss : /

Seemed like a genuinely good natured, spoken dude.

Vontae retiring at half time may be one of my favourite Bills memories. We tend to take things so serious sometimes, and Vontae just saying you know what. I'm done... is just priceless to me. 

May he rest in peace 🙏

I don't think so, as long as it's good spirits. 

Heck of a player and a heck of a person. One of my favourite football moments. Cracks me up every time xD 

"Active or inactive the Pegulas still got to cut that cheque" xDD

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is it too soon for this?

I also remember him getting traded on hard knocks. He was meeting with the GM and just kept asking to call his Grandma. Vernon Davis is also his brother I believe. Seemed like a good dude just went about things a little differently 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Steptide said:

Only 35. Not that it's any better, but I thought for some reason he was older. Him being on the bills seems like 10 years ago. 

Concur.  I just came here to type this: somehow it hadn't registered with me that he was just a few months into his 30th year when he retired at halftime.

I thought he was older.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, london_bills said:

If it was a suicide what a stupid thing to post

Stupid, why? I mean that’s actually one of the things he’s known for more than anything else sadly… Vernon was on an interview the other week talking about life after football and this was brought up to him. Got to live with the choices that you make whether they follow you around or not. 

Don’t think there’s anything bad in posting it. Isn’t distasteful revisit by Shady or Tre. Still comes across as light hearted and in good jest. 

• Agree 1

Not sure the cause of death, but I see so many guys saying/feeling like no one cares about how they’re doing.

I’ve been guilty of this as well. 

I just want to say this isn’t true, there are people out there who care, even if you don’t realize it.

Men’s mental health needs to be more openly talked about and the stigmas need to go away, but it starts with us. We need to be the change we want to see.

Check in with your dads, check in bros, and check in with your dudes. Fight the stigma that no one cares. Fight the stigma that depression looks sad and lonely, check in with your golden retriever friends/family too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, london_bills said:

If it was a suicide what a stupid thing to post

The couple of articles I read say no cause of death has been released pending an autopsy. First thing that came to me was a substance related OD. You would hope it wasn't something intentional, but you never know. There is so much laced with fentanyl these days that people really are playing Russian roulette. Seen too many people go away from here too soon due to it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, H2o said:

The couple of articles I read say no cause of death has been released pending an autopsy. First thing that came to me was a substance related OD. You would hope it wasn't something intentional, but you never know. There is so much laced with fentanyl these days that people really are playing Russian roulette. Seen too many people go away from here too soon due to it. 

You also have to wonder if CTE is in play.  The whole situation seems so sudden and unfortunate. I certainly feel for his family and those who are close to him.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BBFL said:

Stupid, why? I mean that’s actually one of the things he’s known for more than anything else sadly… Vernon was on an interview the other week talking about life after football and this was brought up to him. Got to live with the choices that you make whether they follow you around or not. 

Don’t think there’s anything bad in posting it. Isn’t distasteful revisit by Shady or Tre. Still comes across as light hearted and in good jest. 

Insensitive then. Y'all could easily post a video of an interception or something. He was mocked for the the half time quit and I get it but there's a time and a place. Maybe the guys head wasn't in the right place

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Not sure the cause of death, but I see so many guys saying/feeling like no one cares about how they’re doing.

I’ve been guilty of this as well. 

I just want to say this isn’t true, there are people out there who care, even if you don’t realize it.

Men’s mental health needs to be more openly talked about and the stigmas need to go away, but it starts with us. We need to be the change we want to see.

Check in with your dads, check in bros, and check in with your dudes. Fight the stigma that no one cares. Fight the stigma that depression looks sad and lonely, check in with your golden retriever friends/family too. 

Well said, my friend.  I am bipolar 1 and was only properly diagnosed at the age of 43, just 7 years ago.  I'm very open about my mental health challenges because I want to encourage people around me to take their mental health seriously.  And I want to be a resource for anyone seeking help.

People with bipolar disorder are 20 to 30 times more likely to attempt suicide.  Yikes!  For me, just knowing why I am the way that I am and have had all these challenges throughout my life has made a tremendous difference.  I cannot understate that.  At least there's a real reason, you know?  And I sincerely hope that can be the case for others out there struggling with mental health.  Go talk to someone.  Call a counselors office and make an appointment.  Or talk to your regular doctor.  There's so much help out there today. 

Anyone on here can feel free to message me as well.  I'm more than happy to help.

• Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

47 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Insensitive then. Y'all could easily post a video of an interception or something. He was mocked for the the half time quit and I get it but there's a time and a place. Maybe the guys head wasn't in the right place

He was mocked because he chose not to support the team and left at half time. Could have easily just been a case of him saying to McD that he was done and didn’t want to play anymore and supported the team and sport from the sideline for a further 30 more minutes. 

His head obviously wasn’t in the right place and I don’t think and hope no one makes fun of that aspect.

Whats the worst that would have happened if he said that? They fire him after the game when he’s already done? 

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

He was mocked because he chose not to support the team and left at half time. Could have easily just been a case of him saying to McD that he was done and didn’t want to play anymore and supported the team and sport from the sideline for a further 30 more minutes. 

His head obviously wasn’t in the right place and I don’t think and hope no one makes fun of that aspect.

Whats the worst that would have happened if he said that? They fire him after the game when he’s already done? 

The guys brown bread for goodness sake 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/1/2024 at 12:25 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Is it too soon for this?

I stand with Israel 🇮🇱 Bring the hostages home !!! 

Edited by Putin

This puts a sad light on his wacky retirement game. It’s stepped around as cause of death, but it seems like he may have committed suicide. I feel bad if he had some serious mental health issues yet we have been making of fun of him all these years for that weird halftime retirement. 

51 minutes ago, Locomark said:

This puts a sad light on his wacky retirement game. It’s stepped around as cause of death, but it seems like he may have committed suicide. I feel bad if he had some serious mental health issues yet we have been making of fun of him all these years for that weird halftime retirement. 

From the sounds of the article I posted above your post, it definitely seems to me that's what happened :(