Does Beane have anymore significant moves left in his bag of tricks?

When I look at the roster I see 40 slots pretty much locked in already for next season.  Of those 40 I see 5 guys who could potentially get cut (Martin, Shorter, Anderson, Van Denmark and Spector), with Martin being the most vulnerable. 

The only starting job still up for grabs are the replacements for Davis and Poyer at WR & S respectively. 

I think Beane's biggest remain move before the draft will be getting a replacement for Poyer (I'm assuming the Rapp is Hyde's replacement).  Sadly, the FA safety market is getting pretty thin.  How much for Quandre Diggs on a 1 yr deal?

Could Beane still be looking to add a significant piece the defensive front?  

Edited by GASabresIUFan

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

When I look at the roster I see 40 slots pretty much locked in already for next season.  Of those 40 I see 5 guys who could potentially get cut (Martin, Shorter, Anderson, Van Denmark and Spector), with Martin being the most vulnerable. 

The only starting job still up for grabs are the replacements for Davis and Poyer at WR & S respectively. 

I think Beane's biggest remain move before the draft will be getting a replacement for Poyer (I'm assuming the Rapp is Hyde's replacement).  Sadly, the FA safety market is getting pretty thin.  How much for Quandre Diggs on a 1 yr deal?

No.

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The FA market isn’t thin at all? 

Of the five potential cuts that you think could happen,only Martin will be cut. Absolutely no way does VanDenmark get cut. Also,Rapp will take Poyer's role at SS. Meaning we need a starting FS to add to the mix. Jmo

• Agree 2

Just now, BuffAlone said:

Of the five potential cuts that you think could happen,only Martin will be cut. Absolutely no way does VanDenmark get cut. Also,Rapp will take Poyer's role at SS. Meaning we need a starting FS to add to the mix. Jmo

And it's been said you can find those in the 5th and 6th rounds.  They just need a high football IQ.  No need to spend on a safety right now.

• Agree 1

As far as FA goes, you can pretty well put that baby to bed.

It's been a long, longgggggggg time since i've looked forward this much to a draft. I've got a feeling Beane is going to bundle up some picks and wheel and deal.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

And it's been said you can find those in the 5th and 6th rounds.  They just need a high football IQ.  No need to spend on a safety right now.

And there's not many better than McD to run a good secondary,regardless of draft position

It's the 2nd day of free agency. The roster is nowhere near being set.

Fans do this every year. There is no rush. Let it play out. More moves are coming. We'll have a better idea of what the roster will look like by training camp. That's how it works.

Also, do you want to be one of the terrible teams spending big in free agency? The Panthers? The Raiders? The Bears? The Falcons? Those teams all suck. We don't want to be like them.

Build through the draft. Sign value free agents. Once in awhile, go spend on a name you think will really help you, but that shouldn't be all the time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What "tricks" has he pulled from his bag so far?   Seems as if he's merely cleaning up after himself so far.  

Seems to me that the single biggest need without much controversy is at WR.  

At present we have only one WR on the team that has put up 700+ yards at any point in his entire career.  That's Diggs.   Hollins and Shakir both put up over 600, once each.  No WR on the team besides Diggs has ever logged more than 3 TDs in a season or even 400 yards otherwise.  

Many believe that Diggs' skills have diminished.  If that's true and we don't do something serious, how can we expect this season to amount to much.  

Seems logical that no matter what, our first pick at 28th overall absolutely must be a WR.  Possibly even our 60th.  A WR in the late 4th isn't a good thing to bank on.  

Sure, Shorter or another could step up.  We could also have a cadre of mediocre WRs.  We have Kincaid, maybe that's the offset.  

The situation seems dicey at best at this point.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

What "tricks" has he pulled from his bag so far?   Seems as if he's merely cleaning up after himself so far.  

Seems to me that the single biggest need without much controversy is at WR.  

At present we have only one WR on the team that has put up 700+ yards at any point in his entire career.  That's Diggs.   Hollins and Shakir both put up over 600, once each.  No WR on the team besides Diggs has ever logged more than 3 TDs in a season or even 400 yards otherwise.  

Many believe that Diggs' skills have diminished.  If that's true and we don't do something serious, how can we expect this season to amount to much.  

Seems logical that no matter what, our first pick at 28th overall absolutely must be a WR.  Possibly even our 60th.  A WR in the late 4th isn't a good thing to bank on.  

Sure, Shorter or another could step up.  We could also have a cadre of mediocre WRs.  We have Kincaid, maybe that's the offset.  

The situation seems dicey at best at this point.  

Shakir gonna get his shot this year. He’s earned that. The draft will have to bear fruit. I think Beane realizes what’s needed and will aggressively attack the draft. 

Just now, stinky finger said:

Shakir gonna get his shot this year. He’s earned that. The draft will have to bear fruit. I think Beane realizes what’s needed and will aggressively attack the draft. 

Of course, but it has nothing to do with who's earned what, it has to do with talent.  

Shakir's a slot WR.  Right now we have no one capable opposite Diggs.  I blame the play-calling and Diggs' use, but if it did happen to be true that his speed/abilities have diminished, Shakir in the slot ain't gonna come close to cuttin' it.  

The crying here over Davis' play, LOL, that's going to seem like a bonanza unless we get another WR in here.  We need to be consistent with our analyses and discussions.  IF Davis didn't cut it, and on top of that if Diggs is diminishing, we'll need at least what Davis was simply to get back to the unsatisfactory state that was the majority opinion here.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Of course, but it has nothing to do with who's earned what, it has to do with talent.  

Shakir's a slot WR.  Right now we have no one capable opposite Diggs.  I blame the play-calling and Diggs' use, but if it did happen to be true that his speed/abilities have diminished, Shakir in the slot ain't gonna come close to cuttin' it.  

The crying here over Davis' play, LOL, that's going to seem like a bonanza unless we get another WR in here.  We need to be consistent with our analyses and discussions.  IF Davis didn't cut it, and on top of that if Diggs is diminishing, we'll need at least what Davis was simply to get back to the unsatisfactory state that was the majority opinion here.  

Well then - it’s a good thing we don’t have a game next week.

It’s a work in progress. I’m confident the WR position will be addressed sufficiently. It’s still early. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Most of his significant moves have been releasing guys, no?

Releasing old guys who we carried last year because there contracts were bad, combined with hoping for a fountain of youth.  The only "trick" this offseason was getting Miller to take an actual lower salary. 

• Disagree 2

Just now, OZBILLS said:

Beane has no tricks. He's a bum

No one even made the “Beane after dark “ joke last night 

1 minute ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

I would assume we are going to sign someone soon now that Armstead signed elsewhere. He was probably holding a decent amount for him. 

They have made their signing today - Ty Johnson 

Beane is going to need to crush this Draft, because these past two years, most analysts have caught on to the fact that we demand more out of Josh Allen than any team does their QB. 

And.. as we stand..  even if we go WR early in the Draft, this year - somehow - is shaping up to be the year we need Josh Allen to have even more demanded of him. 

Defense reliant upon three 30+ guys coming back from injury and an Offense that cut an above average Center and will look to replace Gabe Davis, seemingly, with a rookie. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

No one even made the “Beane after dark “ joke last night 

They have made their signing today - Ty Johnson 

I think Beane has something sexy coming in next few days.  He spent come cash resigning a few key guys, and so far has made some depth signings.  I think he’s gonna bring in at least one bigger name, either on the DL or FS position.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I think Beane has something sexy coming in next few days.  He spent come cash resigning a few key guys, and so far has made some depth signings.  I think he’s gonna bring in at least one bigger name, either on the DL or FS position.

I have no doubt he brings in a Safety … there is no way he is going to the draft with that hole…

Names running out though … hope he doesn’t want to play too long a waiting game like he did with a few guys last year 

23 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'd love to see KJ Osborn sign here, for competition's sake - he'd upgrade our weaponry experience-wise

Still relatively young and was productive despite being an afterthought in Minnesota

Probably wouldn't cost Beane a fortune to sell him on coming in here to catch lasers from Josh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1