Chargers Release WR Mike Williams

Process

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

How do you know what comp picks are being awarded next year?

By my calculation we lost 2 and gained 2.  

Just now, One Buffalo said:

The two we have signed so far are (likely) below the threshold to impact the formula.  

Maybe, we will see. 

There are some teams that can take a chance on a 30 year old (this season) vet coming off an ACL injury, but I don’t think the Bills are one of them. He’s not likely to come here cheaply enough to take the chance. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, BBFL said:

No thanks. Overrated. Injury prone. Too expensive. 

He isn't overrated. The dude has tons of talent but can't stay healthy and I don't think it's gonna cost a ton of money for him. There is no way with his injury history he will get a multi year deal that pays him a ton or money. Perfect cheap one year prove it type of guy. I'd do it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I tend to think, with the money we have tied up in Diggs and the amount of scouting the Bills have done on top WR prospects, that our WR2 and WR4 will be coming from the draft. I do not think the Bills will be spending big bucks on a free agent WR.

That said, I do like Mike Williams the player, and he WOULD provide physicality and downfield big play ability that the Bills currently lack. Alas, unless he's signing for relative peanuts, I don't anticipate the Bills going anywhere near him.

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

By my calculation we lost 2 and gained 2.  

Maybe, we will see. 

Floyd and Davis count.  Morse, Neal, Poyer, Hines do not.  Trubiskey was cut so he doesn't count.  Hollins and Morrow's dollars likely don't make the cutoff of around 3 million.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

HARD PASS.

Guy disappears for long stretches while commanding big dollars.  He is always hurt.

Our future WR2 and probable heir to Diggs as WR1 is coming via the draft.  It would be stupid to tie up cap space on someone like Mike Williams that we don't have to spare before heading into one of the deepest and riches WR drafts in the modern era.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

He isn't overrated. The dude has tons of talent but can't stay healthy and I don't think it's gonna cost a ton of money for him. There is no way with his injury history he will get a multi year deal that pays him a ton or money. Perfect cheap one year prove it type of guy. I'd do it

His deal was 20M AAV and he signed it in 2022.  Even today thats top 15-20 in the NFL.  He is not among the best 15-20 WRs in the NFL.  

They drafted a similar player last year in the first so the writing was probably on the wall then.  

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Ok. Overrated is probably a bit harsh. He has tons of talent, I agree. Underwhelming for the 7th overall pick is probably a bit more apt.

Keenan Allen is still the guy there. If they’re cutting a WR of those two, you take him first as, like you said, it’ll probably be a pine year deal. Still don’t think you get either on a bargain price. 

5 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

His deal was 20M AAV and he signed it in 2022.  Even today thats top 15-20 in the NFL.  He is not among the best 15-20 WRs in the NFL.  

They drafted a similar player last year in the first so the writing was probably on the wall then.  

I'm all for it on a one year deal for cheap if possible 

I like him, but he just can't stay healthy.  You sign him, he'll have a few big games and get your hopes up and then he'll get injured for half the season and be gone when you need him most.  Address this need with a young cheap option via the draft please.

3 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Is this a Russell Wilson type situation where the old team is still responsible for done if the salary?

Depends on the guarantees. Would have to look at his contract. 

I’d be ALL about it if he will take an incentive based deal with a decent signing bonus.  Like 2 years, 3M signing bonus, vet min this year and void next year.   Play w Allen, boost your value and hope for the best.

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

HARD PASS.

Guy disappears for long stretches while commanding big dollars.  He is always hurt.

Our future WR2 and probable heir to Diggs as WR1 is coming via the draft.  It would be stupid to tie up cap space on someone like Mike Williams that we don't have to spare before heading into one of the deepest and riches WR drafts in the modern era.

100%. He is a bigger Gabe Davis with injury history.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

HARD PASS.

If he took a one year cheap deal, I think it's worth the gamble

• Disagree 1