Bills sign Mack Hollins

5 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Gabe replacement comes at #28 or earlier with a trade up

If there is a Gabe replacement I think that comes much later.   28 should be a WR with a lot more juice/talent than the not-quick, unagile and hard-handed Gabe Davis.

I could see a guy like Cornelius Johnson from Michigan being a more direct "Gabe replacement" type later.   Gabe might be a bit better deep threat but Johnson is faster and better in many regards as a receiver than both Gabe and Mack Hollins.   I think Johnson could actually be used on routes over the middle of the field where they didn't trust Gabe's hands and he can make contested catches downfield even if he doesn't get as open as Gabe did with those long strides.   Was hoping he'd be a late round guy but probably more 4th/5th after running in the 4.4's at combine.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Keep hearing that. and then see moves like this and it makes me think they draft 1 guy in rd 3 or 4 and call it a day. Sad but I fear may be true 

If I were Allen and #28 wasn't a WR, I call beane and just say trade me.

How much longer does this kidd have to suffer?  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Keep hearing that. and then see moves like this and it makes me think they draft 1 guy in rd 3 or 4 and call it a day. Sad but I fear may be true 

Hope not. I would think (hope) they get one of the top WR's. Someone to help Diggs and Kincaid. Also, Diggs is 30 now so they also need to look to future as far as having a #1 WR. Building around Allen and giving him more weapons should be a priority.

• Agree 1

Two Things:

1)  Mack Hollins on a 1 year deal, worth "up to" 3M is a good deal for a WR5.  Special Teamer with size who can come in provide adequate WR depth.

2) People do have the right to worry if this is all we do at WR leading up to the Draft.  The pressure on Beane to get it right, with the entire league knowing he needs to get it right, will be very high.  All this talk of Allen needing more help and all we've done, pre-draft, is trade Bates, cut Morse and let Gabe walk.  I'm not saying those weren't the right decisions.. I agree with them, but (if) there are no substantive corresponding FA moves before the Draft, Beane has really boxed himself in. 

• Agree 1

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

Yup. And I would willingly accept it. It’s a shame we’re watching the best talent at QB we’ve ever had, and possibly top in the league and we waste him. I’m at the point where I’d trade him to a contender. Just to see him get a ring. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

It’s almost like they’re pissing on us and not even having the courtesy of calling it rain. 

I can’t believe anyone is even remotely pleased with this pickup. Could have got whatever production he provides at half the cost from an undrafted rookie. 

MRags back with the over the top drama.

Every single team in the NFL has a veteran in their depth positions and not all 4-7 string WR's are undrafted free agents.

But when the Bills do it, they're pissing on us lol.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Another special teams guy that offers little help for Allen.

I didn't expect a significant WR in FA. That will come in the draft.

I just wish Beane would take control of this team and stop allowing,McDermott to put precious cap space into special teams. Any 7th round pick can do what this guy will on teams for far less. 

Just get a day 1 or early day 2 WR in the draft and all will be ok

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He just restructured ensuring he will stay longer lol.

My god you guys are so dramatic.  

He's not suffering LMAO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This

With Hollins

You get the blocking that left with Gabe Davis

You get a more polished WR than Trent Sherfield

You get the ST gunner that left with Siran Neal. 

This is the type of player you want from your WR5/6

Thanks Bobby! I definitely see this signing with a different perspective. 👍

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

MRags back with the over the top drama.

Every single team in the NFL has a veteran in their depth positions and not all 4-7 string WR's are undrafted free agents.

But when the Bills do it, they're pissing on us lol.

Yup. We’ve seen this dog and pony show over and over again. It’s not drama if it’s true. What you say is correct, we need bodies. Sure. I get it. But we’re also in cap hell. Yet we’re wasting what little cap dollars we have on guys that are terrible. Or won’t make make any impact. Again, save the little money you have, sign an undrafted rookie to take this guys place instead and bundle up all your little 1-3m contracts that you saved and actually go out and try and find someone worth it. 

it’s not rocket science 

Edited by mrags
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

He's probably a 5, maybe the 4 I was talking about in the other thread he's a gunner, and has some size. 

I had him on my radar last year as a guy who could help. Has some traits. Still a ton of work to do at that position. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mrags said:

Yup. We’ve seen this dog and pony show over and over again. It’s Norma if it’s true. What you say is correct, we need bodies. Sure. I get it. But we’re also in cap hell. Yet we’re wasting what little cap dollars we have on guys that are terrible. Or won’t make make any impact. Again, save the little money you have, sign an undrafted rookie to take this guys place instead and bundle up all your little 1-3m contracts that you saved and actually go out and try and find someone worth it. 

it’s not rocket science 

Why don't all NFL teams have UDFA as their 4-7 string WR?

The KC Chiefs don't know what the hell they're doing.  They currently have 5 WR's in that 1-3 million dollar contracts and their highest paid WR is making $3.4 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/contracts/

Rocket science.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

OBJ was severely overpaid and shouldn't have been. I actually think with Michael Thomas's injury history that a small 1 year prove it deal may be worth it to show he can at least stay healthy for a season and then cash in next season

OK, so in your opinion OBJ was overpaid, and in hindsight, looking at his performance, a case can be made for that.

But the point here is market value and what some team with cap space is likely to offer to pay a former AP-1 OPOY WR. 

My case is that whether or not you think it's a good idea, a WR with Michael Thomas resume is unlikely to be available to the Bills on a $2-$3M deal at the start of FA.

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yup. We’ve seen this dog and pony show over and over again. It’s Norma if it’s true. What you say is correct, we need bodies. Sure. I get it. But we’re also in cap hell. Yet we’re wasting what little cap dollars we have on guys that are terrible. Or won’t make make any impact. Again, save the little money you have, sign an undrafted rookie to take this guys place instead and bundle up all your little 1-3m contracts that you saved and actually go out and try and find someone worth it. 

it’s not rocket science 

Except he's not terrible. 

He fills two needs also being a capable blocking receiver and a ST guy.

He's also shown reliable hands and has produced some decent numbers with lesser offenses with lesser QB's

We wanted guys that can catch the football, and this guy does that pretty well. He's also a big target. 

Posters need to get a grip here and realize these are the moves we will be making this offseason due to our cap.

You will get your WR in the first or second round...maybe both. 

Stop crying

Edited by BeastMaster

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Diggs

?

Shakir

?

Hollins

Shorter vs Isabella vs Hamler

I see it as 

Diggs

Kincaid

Shakir

?

Hollins vs Shorter vs Isabella vs Hamler vs additional FA.

Vet min deal up to 3mil for Hollins doesn't guarantee he makes the roster.

Mack is the replacement for Sheffeild in my mind, good SP gunner that can rotate in as a big outside WR if needed. I don't expect him to the primary outside WR role today.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

The KC Chiefs don't know what the hell they're doing.  They currently have 5 WR's in that 1-3 million dollar contracts and their highest paid WR is making $3.4 million.

Rocket science.

I’m sorry. Is any other team the Buffalo Bills? Are the chiefs in cap he’ll like we are? And last question, did the chiefs just win multiple super bowls? They can do whatever they want. We need to beat them and we can’t. 

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Fans need to realize the Bills are being cheap this offseason.

That's not even it though. The is a depth signing. A cheap 1 year deal. They need to fill out the roster. This guy fills a need that left with Sherfield. There will be no glorious expectations.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Two Things:

1)  Mack Hollins on a 1 year deal, worth "up to" 3M is a good deal for a WR5.  Special Teamer with size who can come in provide adequate WR depth.

2) People do have the right to worry if this is all we do at WR leading up to the Draft.  The pressure on Beane to get it right, with the entire league knowing he needs to get it right, will be very high.  All this talk of Allen needing more help and all we've done, pre-draft, is trade Bates, cut Morse and let Gabe walk.  I'm not saying those weren't the right decisions.. I agree with them, but (if) there are no substantive corresponding FA moves before the Draft, Beane has really boxed himself in. 

I think the excitement of this pick up is that it might signal the intention of the FO to fast track the WR they pick in the 1st round to play.  This guy is very little competition to our rookie WR picked in the 1st round.

That's exciting to me.  I hope it is Thomas/Mitchell/or Legettte.  Whoever they decide, draft him, and use him immediately.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Rocket science.

I'm not against the Mack Hollins signing.  It makes a lot of sense.  The reaction to this is just bottled up frustration from the fanbase towards the cumulative team building of the past few years. 

That said..  Don't compare us to KC. 

Do we have a Travis Kelce?  No.  At least not yet.  Do we have a Chris Jones.  Lol, no, not even close.  Mahomes restructure allows them to extend Snead if they want. 

Elite playmaker.  Elite pass rusher.  Elite corner. 

Bills have none of that.. and while we finally seem to be ready to use premium draft capital on WR, the Chiefs have done that the past two years in a row. 

• Disagree 1

47 minutes ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

How about some rookies?

Possibly, obviously. But Mack is a known. Later Round rookies will have stiffer competition to earn a jersey, let alone a roster spot. This is a solid move, despite the preceding comments.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He may well make the roster as a gunner/STer 5th or 6th WR - why would you have a problem with that?  He's shown he can produce more with a good QB throwing to him than most #5 or 6 WR do.

Yea I don't think he is very good tbh. Never have.

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Rocket science.

Are the Chiefs any good though? (sarcasm) LOL

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Except he's not terrible. 

He fills two needs also being a capable blocking receiver and a ST guy.

He's also shown reliable hands and has produced some decent numbers with lesser offenses with lesser QB's

We wanted guys that can catch the football, and this guy does that pretty well. He's also a big target. 

Posters need to get a grip here and realize these are the moves we will be making this offseason due to our cap.

You will get your WR in the first or second round...maybe both. 

Stop crying

Yeah not crying. I’m simply not sucking on the Beane tit like everyone else. 

1. Any WR that’s especially good at blocking, when he’s on the field but actually sucks at being a WR does nothing but take away the ability to have a playmaker on the field. It also tips off the defense to what we’re actually doing. Like every single time. 

2. Don’t give a crap about hands if this guy is so slow and lumbering that he’ll never get open anyway. Not to mention that I don’t want him anywhere near the field ever on offense. If we’re down to him then we might as well pack it in. 

3. Your 2nd and 3rd points were exactly the same and they both sucked. 

4. I’ve already pointed out that we’re in cap hell. Yet here we are wasting what little dollars we do have on scrubs like this. Again, save up all the 2-3m contracts that we have. Sign undrafted guys that were bagging groceries because that’s what their guy will provide anyway.  And after 5-8 contracts that you saved like that maybe you could go out and fond someone for 6-10m that can actually play. 

5. Again, if you believe we’re going WR in rd 1 and 2 I think you’re more crazy than I thought. But I honestly have doubts we’ll even end up with 1 in the first 2 rounds. Time will tell. We’re a little over a month away. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Wow. This guy hasn't done squat.  And this is the WR signing to help the WR room?  

This has to be a Kick returner right?  131 receptions in 6 years?  

I'm tempted to post patience grasshopper. We all are hopeful for Action. Hold your water It WILL come  just not on your timing. Sucks huh

🙂

Edited by muppy

58 minutes ago, boyst said:

image.thumb.png.3f5d11252fd209ad4a6ee762c9a29741.png

6'4" 221 lbs.

2017 4th round pick (114) out of UNC by Phili. He wasn't good enough to play at Duke.

Take away 2019:

1691 yards, 13.25 average on 91 games with 131 catches catches 

I really can’t believe you’re a Duke fan. You’re better than that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, mrags said:

I’m sorry. Is any other team the Buffalo Bills? Are the chiefs in cap he’ll like we are? And last question, did the chiefs just win multiple super bowls? They can do whatever they want. We need to beat them and we can’t. 

Great arguements.

They have a little more space than us and their big signing for a pass catcher....Irv Smith.

So the Chiefs proved that you can win without even a solid WR core...they were terrible at that unit.  That means the Bills signing a depth WR, just like the Super Bowl champs means Beane doesn't know what he's doing?  Is this how your thought process works?

I am going to ask you again, why don't all teams sign UDFA as their 4-7 stringers?  Every single team that has ever won a Super Bowl has had veteran WR depth making as much as Mack Collins.  Have NFL GM's been wrong throughout history?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Great arguements.

They have a little more space than us and their big signing for a pass catcher....Irv Smith.

So the Chiefs proved that you can win without even a solid WR core...they were terrible at that unit.  That means the Bills signing a depth WR, just like the Super Bowl champs means Beane doesn't know what he's doing?  Is this how your thought process works?

I am going to ask you again, why don't all teams sign UDFA as their 4-7 stringers?  Every single team that has ever won a Super Bowl has had veteran WR depth making as much as Mack Collins.  Have NFL GM's been wrong throughout history?

I’m not arguing with you on this. You like the live. I think it’s stupid. I also don’t have a high opinion of you, so there you go. I’m sure the feelings mutual so no need to inform me of that.