Bills DL.......how many come back to the Bills on 1 year contracts??

Floyd, Epenesa, Settle, Phillips, Jones and Lawson.

You have got to think at least one or two of these guys come back.

Floyd will not be back for less money.....he has no loyalty to the Bills as he only played here for one year.

Epenesa and Jones will be interesting to watch because I am sure the Bills would want these two back on team friendly deals, but they could probably command more money elsewhere....we will see what is most important to them.

I would put Settle, Phillips and Lawson in a category marked "back only if the Bills want them back"....I think Phillips and Lawson are good depth players who are "Buffalo guys" and would want to be back.....they also bring much needed attitude and energy to the defense.

In the end, I think the Bills will end up signing DaQuan Jones, Phillips and Lawson.

What do you think??

• Agree 1

Seems like Floyd is going for 1 last big payday and I bet epenesa gets a much bigger deal than we are all expecting given his age and production last year. The other 4 are in play. None will cost much at their ages and would fill a pressing  need 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

Floyd will not be back for less money.....he has no loyalty to the Bills as he only played here for one year.

Epenesa and Jones will be interesting to watch because I am sure the Bills would want these two back on team friendly deals, but they could probably command more money elsewhere....we will see what is most important to them.

I would put Settle, Phillips and Lawson in a category marked "back only if the Bills want them back"....I think Phillips and Lawson are good depth players who are "Buffalo guys" and would want to be back.....they also bring much needed attitude and energy to the defense.

In the end, I think the Bills will end up signing DaQuan Jones, Phillips and Lawson.

What do you think??

I'm hoping we can get AJE for a 3-4 year deal and Jones back for 1 or 2 years. The rest can go to be honest.  

Shaq on a vet minimum deal. 

AJE/DJ only if they’re very team friendly.  

Not really interested in much of this group after, yet again, not showing up in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hard NO to Settle who's just another guy I can replace with someone else cheaper. 

Hard NO to Phillips, gimp, can't trust his availability. 

Hard NO to Lawson who's just another guy. I'd rather draft his replacement on Day 3 of the Draft.

I'd bring back Floyd but only for less than market value which isn't going to happen anyways. 

Jones for no more than $3M per year for 1-2 years

Epenesa for no more than $5M per year

Edited by Trust The Process
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Special K said:

What do you think??

I don't want any of them.  We didn't achieve our ultimate goal,not even progress,with any of them here.

Bring in fresh new talent and let's see how that goes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Only one I want back is Lawson on a very team friendly deal. 

jones is getting old and now the injuries are going to start piling up. 

AJ just isn’t good enough. Took him too many years to even get anything and he still disappears for half a season at a time. Probably because he’s now too small for the position. Either way, unless he wants to sign for vet min or a little over it’s not worth it. 

loved Phillips for many years but he’s a shell of himself and can’t every stay healthy. Look for Jones to follow in these footsteps. Hard pass. 

Floyd wants too much. No. 

Settle absolutely sucked. Not as advertised. Hard pass. 

Ford sucked even worse than Settle. No. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Only one I want back is Lawson on a very team friendly deal. 

jones is getting old and now the injuries are going to start piling up. 

AJ just isn’t good enough. Took him too many years to even get anything and he still disappears for half a season at a time. Probably because he’s now too small for the position. Either way, unless he wants to sign for vet min or a little over it’s not worth it. 

loved Phillips for many years but he’s a shell of himself and can’t every stay healthy. Look for Jones to follow in these footsteps. Hard pass. 

Floyd wants too much. No. 

Settle absolutely sucked. Not as advertised. Hard pass. 

Ford sucked even worse than Settle. No. 

AJE is strange because a meh player cant randomly look like TJ Watt .. and he absolutely looked like Watt against Jax.  That was an insane performance. 

But as you point out .. he just disappears too much.  

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

AJE is strange because a meh player cant randomly look like TJ Watt .. and he absolutely looked like Watt against Jax.  That was an insane performance. 

I don’t think they are going to get the real TJ Watt for $7m a year though.. so they might have to get the guy that occasionally looks like him..

Edited by Aussie Joe

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

I don’t think they are going to get the real TJ Watt for $7m a year though

And therein lies the issue.  Do we want to keep paying these types of contracts for these guys who don’t seem to make a difference in the postseason?

I’ll be very interested to see the Chiefs if they don’t bring back Chris Jones.

Their DL is a lot like ours .. except they have Jones and we have Oliver.  Jones being the best DT in the NFL for the past two years has elevated a lot of guys similar to AJE, Rousseau etc. 

Just now, SCBills said:

Yeah. It also brings me to the “too small for the position” comment. I’m sure I’ll get a ton of flak for this. While I don’t believe 260 is too small for the position. I do however think AJ is because in college he played much bigger. I’ve seen him listed anywhere from 275-290 in college. And if you look at pics of him from them until now it’s mind numbing how much weight/girth he lost. He looked like JJ Watt coming out of college. Primed for a LDE spot. Then the Bills made him lose weight and too much of it imo. Thinking they could turn him into a speed rusher. It hasn’t backfired completely, but imo it hurt his overall game, and it hurt his ability to stay healthy long term. Seems like every year he’s got some kind of nagging injuries that are keeping him from staying on the field. And that’s why I say he’s too small for the position. Because he has the frame to play heavier. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I wonder if Von redid his deal in an attempt to help get Floyd back.  It’s a long shot but would love it if Beane can work this out along with a solid EDGE pick in round 1 or round 2.

Need for this one to be an absolute hit instead of the AJE/Groot/Oliver/Basham picks… I like Ed but he really took a few years to solidify himself as worthy of the #9. Groot I like also but he’s still relatively raw and needs extended play time. 

Either way, with how it’s looking in terms of Edge guys on the roster, they need someone that high to be a 6-8 sack guy minimum year one. 

EDIT:  Unless they feel there’s a guy like Floyd who can produce on a one year team friendly. Maybe Clowney but last year in Baltimore he might have priced himself out of availability to us. Danielle Hunter maybe?

Edited by BBFL

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

And therein lies the issue.  Do we want to keep paying these types of contracts for these guys who don’t seem to make a difference in the postseason?

Their DL is a lot like ours .. except they have Jones and we have Oliver.  Jones being the best DT in the NFL for the past two years has elevated a lot of guys similar to AJE, Rousseau etc. 

exactly. We need guys that step up in games of importance. Not disappear completely 

22 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

AJE if they can get him cheap enough … 

Sadly, I don’t think that is going to be possible. He got ragged on quite a bit in the early days, but I like his contributions. Someone with more cap space probably will too. 

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

exactly. We need guys that step up in games of importance. Not disappear completely 

Im with you but to further go on to his point… We have Oliver, they have Jones…

That becomes a wash when he’s disappearing in the playoffs too…

😞

Post-Season their DLine has Jones, we have…. ______? 

🤔🤷‍♂️

Epenesa would be fine to bring back if someone doesn't pay him. But, I doubt it.

Jones would be good.

None of them are critical, though.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It’s pretty obvious that the Bills need an elite player on the D Line … they are difficult ( not impossible ) to draft at 28 though ..so FA is the place to get one..

We all know what happened though ..Miller was their “all in “ move… but they lost all their chips playing that hand and they are still  one more year getting over that mistake … 

In the meantime they got to try to put out the best line they can..

I thought AJE played well at times last year … he picked up that rib injury against the Chiefs ( I think) and disappeared like the rest of the DE’s the last third of the season ..hopefully that was Coach Washington’s fault somehow …

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Im with you but to further go on to his point… We have Oliver, they have Jones…

That becomes a wash when he’s disappearing in the playoffs too…

😞

Post-Season their DLine has Jones, we have…. ______? 

🤔🤷‍♂️

Nobody. Never have. But I’m not positive that’s a player issue as much as it is a coaching/game planning/play calling issue. How do we have a pass rush all season yet once we get to the playoffs it completely disappears. It’s in huge part to our scared and conservative coach. JMO. 

but yes, our players aren’t as good as the chiefs on the DL. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

AJE if they can get him cheap enough … 

I'm not paying AJE much if he wants to stick around.  DQ gets ans deserves more imho.  As far as the retread trio of Settle,  Phillips & Lawson, I'm letting them go and look toward new players....new energy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm not paying AJE much if he wants to stick around.  DQ gets ans deserves more imho.  As far as the retread trio of Settle,  Phillips & Lawson, I'm letting them go and look toward new players....new energy.

Im thinking they showed yesterday they are going with a youth movement ..so DQJ might be gone 

Edited by Aussie Joe

Daquan Id like to have. AJ I'm hoping someone seriously over pays. Floyd is whatever at this point. Faded badly down the stretch. If the others want vet min, no guarantee deals they can have them but I'm hoping they get beaten out by low round picks or other shrewd signees.

This is not a good DE draft and plenty of teams have money to burn.

I think this will be a waiting game for the Bills to see who's left at value.  Fortunately, besides Floyd, no one put up huge numbers.  I could see AJ back.  Jones to me is the big need and hopefully we get a discount.  A healthy Jones and Oliver make everyone else better.  

I think Lawson and Phillips are done, unless they want the vet minimum again.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Every player in the NFL is extremely talented. The great players are the ones who do it consistently. AJE is pretty inconsistent.

• Like (+1) 1

Unrealistic and silly but I do think Von is going to be better this year, and I really really want to see him at full speed opposite Floyd. Pipe dream, though.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I wonder if Von redid his deal in an attempt to help get Floyd back.  It’s a long shot but would love it if Beane can work this out along with a solid EDGE pick in round 1 or round 2.

Neither Von nor the Bills did the other a favor. Von got about $2.5M more guaranteed than he already had coming to him plus a bunch more possible with incentives. Had he not agreed to that deal he’d have been cut. He’d have received the guaranteed portion of his salary and then signed a deal somewhere else. That deal would have a low base (around that same $2.5M) plus incentives. 

There seems to be a lot of DEs happy to sign one year deals later in the off-season. I’d be surprised if we don’t sign one. 

None of them except Jones

AJE cant be gone fast enough

Lawson, Phillips, and Settle will all struggle to find NFL jobs.  Time to get young and fast on the DL.  

Rousseau, Miller, Oliver, and Jones are a decent core.  Kingsley is nice depth.  Add a second round edge and a FA DT and they will be set

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Special K said:

What do you think??

The only one I see possibly coming back would be Lawson. And that would be at or close to vet minimum. 

AJE and Floyd will likely get other and higher offers.

Phillips strongly hinted at the end of the year that he may retire. I don't think he's back either way.

I like Jones but have a feeling the Bills aren't eager to bring him back unless it's late in the off-season and very cheap. They seem to be moving away from older vets. 

Settle is still on the young side and I do believe he will get some offers. If they bring him back it depends on his pay and role on the team. He shouldn't see extensive snaps and if he's back in that role at a price that matches Im ok with that. He knows the system and can help on a 1 year contract transition to the next step there.

The draft is where I attack DL. 

3 hours ago, Special K said:

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

or rather never got too much of a chance from McDermott