Matt Araiza signs with Chiefs

22 hours ago, Roundybout said:

So, they’re kicking the tires on a guy who hasn’t been in football in a long time? Stop the presses.

The Bills should have manned up and admited they treated this guy like trash due to public opinion.  And tried to resign him, of course, no way is he coming back to this organization.  A real lowlight for the current managementimho.   Innocent until proven guilty is the American way I hope.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

The Bills should have manned up and admited they treated this guy like trash due to public opinion.  And tried to resign him, of course, no way is he coming back to this organization.  A real lowlight for the current managementimho.   Innocent until proven guilty is the American way I hope.

Sad to say but imagine most teams/employers would take a similar stance in something like this. As mentioned by others stated the media would be constantly criticize the decision to play/pay a man who in the court of public opinion was guilty and moreso when employed by a woman like Kim Pegula (yes she been absent but she still a part owner of this team). 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm okay telling it how it is - Araiza was easy to let go because he was a punter on a rookie deal. Von Miller is an edge rusher on a contract that is practically impossible to get out of. If their legal situations were reversed I have no doubt their current status with the team would still be exactly the same. And every single team in the league would have handled both situations the exact way we did. No team would have kept Araiza on the roster because he is just a punter. That may not be fair, but anyone complaining about how the Bills specifically handled the situation isn't being realistic.

i agree 100%. but it is still hypocrisy.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

The right thing to do was to bring Matt back into the fold and sign him. 

He was proven innocent of all charges and the lying person dropped her law suit.

But no, I'm sure there were " Voices" telling Beane that the optics weren't good AND when you have a female owner involved as well....

I have been saying since almost the beginning (once I learned she lied about her age) that her story was bogus and he would ultimately be cleared.  But the Bills made the right move cutting him because he would have been a major distraction.  This goes beyond just "voices" and a female owner: it made national news and even players on the team were upset at the allegations because several have daughters.  

And also as I've said, someone would sign him, but not until his legal issues were resolved, which came just a few months ago when the civil suit against him was dropped.  And by that time Araiza felt betrayed by the Bills for not having his back.  IMHO it wasn't a matter of the Bills not bringing him back into the fold.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm okay telling it how it is - Araiza was easy to let go because he was a punter on a rookie deal. Von Miller is an edge rusher on a contract that is practically impossible to get out of. If their legal situations were reversed I have no doubt their current status with the team would still be exactly the same. And every single team in the league would have handled both situations the exact way we did. No team would have kept Araiza on the roster because he is just a punter. That may not be fair, but anyone complaining about how the Bills specifically handled the situation isn't being realistic.

There was a huge difference in level of outrage between the two cases.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Hindsight viewpoint:  Bills should've placed him on some sort of IR or such until guilt or innocence was proven.

They weren't going to pay him $2M (since it took almost 2 full seasons for the civil suit to finally be dropped) while also paying another punter.

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

It is already been reported that Brandon Beane stayed in touch with him through this whole process

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Hindsight viewpoint:  Bills should've placed him on some sort of IR or such until guilt or innocence was proven.

There is no such option.  The options were keep him on the active roster or cut him.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Good riddance.  He treated the organization like crap first. Let other teams have the low character guys.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Unfortunately this is just one of many miscues by this regime.

2024 will be a true year of reckoning sadly for Beane and McDivisional and hopefully the Pegulas finally take action before it's too late.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/22/2024 at 5:07 PM, Niagara Dude said:

This is just another example of why the Chiefs are kicking everyone's rear including the Bills when he it comes to the salary cap.  That team has at least 30 plus players making 2 million of less and for next season.  The Chiefs have many guys making just above one million and this signing today will be another one.  

Terry Pegula needs to start asking questions on why Beane has so many bad contracts and are always having to rework deals. There are guys on this team that I would cut right now,  Harty/Neal/Hines.  

Anyone who does not agree then I suggest to look up the Chiefs cap situation on over the cap

Yeah, the more I think about this, the more dissatisfied I am that the Bills find themselves in the second worst cap situation in the league with exactly what to show for it.  The players understand that it’s a business, so make the hard decisions.  Belechick had a lot of faults as a GM, but he did understand the principle of releasing someone a year too early as opposed to a year too late. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Not that I enjoy him going to the competition, but I’m happy for him.  He went through a lot.  Now that he’s been cleared of everything, I’m hopeful he can have a long and fruitful career in the NFL.

I agree with the sentiment. Anywhere BUT the Chiefs though.

Maybe we should go after Tommy Townsend. Revenge of the punters 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Yeah, the more I think about this, the more dissatisfied I am that the Bills find themselves in the second worst cap situation in the league with exactly what to show for it.  The players understand that it’s a business, so make the hard decisions.  Belechick had a lot of faults as a GM, but he did understand the principle of releasing someone a year too early as opposed to a year too late. 

Yes and not overpaying fringe players which the Bills seem to do more often than not. You don't pay Dawson Knox 14 million or Neal on special teams 3 million.  

• Agree 3

On 2/22/2024 at 2:47 PM, BeastMaster said:

Bills basically gave KC a free draft pick

This after handing them Mahomes

They didn’t hand them Mahomes. Mahomes is great in part because he plays for the best coach in the NFL. The Bills got TW and leverage to get Dawkins and Edmunds. JA would have at least 1 SB if playing for AR.

On 2/22/2024 at 2:47 PM, BeastMaster said:

Bills basically gave KC a free draft pick

This after handing them Mahomes

5 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I agree with the sentiment. Anywhere BUT the Chiefs though.

Maybe we should go after Tommy Townsend. Revenge of the punters 

Sure why not. Overpaying for a punter would be the least concern of all the bad overpriced contracts. At least he’s reliable. 

20 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Unfortunately this is just one of many miscues by this regime.

2024 will be a true year of reckoning sadly for Beane and McDivisional and hopefully the Pegulas finally take action before it's too late.

Agree with your take here, although I like “McClappy” better. LOL

As for the Pegulas, I’m pretty sure that Kim Pegula is no longer actively involved in any operations for the Bills, and Terry may not being doing much either in running the Bills anymore, as he may be preoccupied with his wife, and he may be fine with Beane (and other top execs) running the show.

Of course I’m just speculating here, as I’m not an insider.

On 2/23/2024 at 7:40 AM, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I was just curious and looked it up.

We had the 28th Best Special Teams last season.

Well done. 

Yeah but what would we do without Tyler Matakevich and Siran Neal and whoever the f uck? How can we win without them?

• Agree 1

On 2/22/2024 at 2:12 PM, JMM said:

Seems a bit strange, first of all the timing,  but more importantly they already have a terrific punter in Townsend. So unless they are releasing him for salary issues this signing makes little sense 

We should bring their punter in for a look.  He was great in the playoffs and SB. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Agree with your take here, although I like “McClappy” better. LOL

As for the Pegulas, I’m pretty sure that Kim Pegula is no longer actively involved in any operations for the Bills, and Terry may not being doing much either in running the Bills anymore, as he may be preoccupied with his wife, and he may be fine with Beane (and other top execs) running the show.

Of course I’m just speculating here, as I’m not an insider.

He took over as President of first the Bills, then the Sabres after his wife had an MI/stroke...

I swear this only adds to the feel that the Chiefs are an A-1 org who are all about adding new trinkets and getting a leg up on the rest of the league, while the Bills feel like experts at foolishly relinquishing advantages that they had a hold of.

This is what happens when fans get bigheaded before winning a championship, acting as if they have luxury, and turning on their own before even being found guilty of an accusation.

Whether Araiza sticks or not, this just feels perfect with the Chiefs being at the other end.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I wish we would have signed him. I guess the cap made us keep sam martin?

More likely he was never going to return to the Bills if there was someone else interested.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/22/2024 at 3:12 PM, JMM said:

Seems a bit strange, first of all the timing,  but more importantly they already have a terrific punter in Townsend. So unless they are releasing him for salary issues this signing makes little sense 

They don't have a punter, Townsend is a UFA

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I'm probably wrong, but I thought Martin's contract ended after this last season? 

58 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm probably wrong, but I thought Martin's contract ended after this last season? 

Nope.  He's signed for 2 more seasons.

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Would have been nice to have him in the chiefs playoff game instead of that noodle leg kicker that the Bills had

Hey, in his defense he was playing injured (happened when PIT blocked the FG).  I have no idea why they thought playing him instead of signing someone off the PS (or streets) for that game was a good idea.  Wasn't the poor punter's fault.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

yes, the Punter was really holding the Bills Defense back,,,,lol.  #4 last year, #2 the year before.

weird bump

• Like (+1) 1