Matt Araiza signs with Chiefs

15 minutes ago, boyst said:

what is sad is we will never actually know what was said to know if there truly was a lie. i remember at the time thinking that Beane based this understanding ofa lie on media reports and the statements of the girls attorney. 

i cannot wait for the day when the practical pragmatic group can wallop the head of the knee jerkers.

I don't agree on the first point I just don't think that is who Beane is. I think he would be much more careful than that and I remember that press conference well he looked genuinely crestfallen. I suspect what he based that on is a further conversation with Matt where he changed his story somewhat from earlier versions he had told the Bills once the material was in the public domain. 

I agree completely on your second point but unfortunately I fear the genie is out of the bottle and won't go back. Social media mob culture is here to stay. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Chiefs keep winning because they are beating the Bills off the field....

This is literally the smartest thing anyone has said yet - right on brother. 

Everyone talking about "not a big deal" - this guy can flip the field but of course be content with 37 yarders in a playoff game.

The real truth is the Bills jumped the gun when the allegations came out, and he has no interest, especially when he can go to KC get a ring. If the Bills were so high and morality mighty, Von would have been gone the day after too, just like this kid, but the morality clause in his contract voided the $$ and his girl figured out real quick half of zero is zero... and recanted.

Need to start looking at the Bills without the homer glasses - they are built for "sustainability", Beane said so himself - sustainability is the word he has used over and over. A championship is not first priority, never was, or they would have sold the farm 2 years ago to do it – A winning record and filling seats, is just enough to keep interest and if a championship should happen then. all the better, but don’t believe for a second, it's about a championship. 

The end of the day, we are out coached, out gunned and out rostered and the ONLY thing that keeps us in the W is 17 - without which, McD is a .500 coach at best.

Sorry - from an OG here and I don't post much but the more things chang, the more they stay the same - it literally is a rehash of the Kelly years 

Edited by ren1701
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This thread is funny.  The punt god will not be the reason the Chiefs win another Super Bowl or be the reason why Buffalo fails to win a Super Bowl.

When the Bills were pretty much forced to move on from him...there is no going back.  If he was to get a 2nd chance, it had to be somewhere else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree on the first point I just don't think that is who Beane is. I think he would be much more careful than that and I remember that press conference well he looked genuinely crestfallen. I suspect what he based that on is a further conversation with Matt where he changed his story somewhat from earlier versions he had told the Bills once the material was in the public domain. 

I agree completely on your second point but unfortunately I fear the genie is out of the bottle and won't go back. Social media mob culture is here to stay. 

Its difficult to mince the words and parse the thoughts, if that makes sense.

I think Beane truly believes he was lied to while I also think that Araiza didn't necessarily lie but may have done a combination of omit, withhold, mistake, confuse, misremember, misinterpret events of the evening without nefarious reasons. Perhaps he simply didn't weigh some of the information appropriately to pass along, perhaps he thought some details didn't matter, perhaps he simply didn't want to discuss something that was irrelevant to the charges of rape (maybe he didn't admit to sex with her), i ... we... Just don't know.

We will never know and it's too late to even matter. I wish him the best like I do and want for everyone. Except Tom Brady. ef him.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

This thread is funny.  The punt god will not be the reason the Chiefs win another Super Bowl or be the reason why Buffalo fails to win a Super Bowl.

When the Bills were pretty much forced to move on from him...there is no going back.  If he was to get a 2nd chance, it had to be somewhere else.

Forced? By whom?

7 minutes ago, ren1701 said:

Everyone talking about "not a big deal" - this guy can flip the field but of course be content with 37 yarders in a playoff game.

The real truth is the Bills jumped the gun when the allegations came out, and he has no interest, especially when he can go to KC get a ring. If the Bills were so high and morality mighty, Von would have been gone the day after too, just like this kid, but the morality clause in his contract voided the $$ and his girl figured out real quick half of zero is zero... and recanted.

Need to start looking at the Bills without the homer glasses - they are built for "sustainability", Beane said so himself - sustainability is the word he has used over and over. A championship is not first priority, never was, or they would have sold the farm 2 years ago to do it – A winning record and filling seats, is just enough to keep interest and if a championship should happen then. all the better, but don’t believe for a second, it's about a championship. 

The end of the day, we are out coached, out gunned and out rostered and the ONLY thing that keeps us in the W is 17 - without which, McD is a .500 coach at best.

Sorry - from an OG here and I don't post much but the more things chang, the more they stay the same - it literally is a rehash of the Kelly years 

I just look at the Chiefs salary cap sheet and see so many players making 2 million or just over 1 million .  Beane has overpaid on many guys and it's a big reason why were always reworking deals to get under the cap.  Beane is very lucky that Pegula is willing to keep writing bonus checks because if this were Ralph Wilson he would be in deep trouble.  They need more cheap labour ,  they should have signed Matt after Sam Martin pulled his hamstring.  Martin played hurt because he did not want to risk losing his job. Beane and the Bills need to stop being so soft and do what is right.  I just hope they use one of they many lower picks to draft a punter

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Returntoglory said:

Forced? By whom?

The Print media, TV media, Social media, Fans from every team in the NFL...many Bills fans, etc..   

How can anyone forget the massive tidal wave of pressure to cut ties with Araiza.  He was tried in public opinion court and found guilty instantly.

8 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The Print media, TV media, Social media, Fans from every team in the NFL...many Bills fans, etc..   

How can anyone forget the massive tidal wave of pressure to cut ties with Araiza.  He was tried in public opinion court and found guilty instantly.

That’s basically how it goes. Accused names should always be sealed in any rape investigation. I’m not sure why they aren’t.

32 minutes ago, zow2 said:

In the end, it was ownership that kicked this kid to the curb and never looked back.

Oh great, as I'm typing this Matt's story is on Fox news!

47 minutes ago, boyst said:

Its difficult to mince the words and parse the thoughts, if that makes sense.

I think Beane truly believes he was lied to while I also think that Araiza didn't necessarily lie but may have done a combination of omit, withhold, mistake, confuse, misremember, misinterpret events of the evening without nefarious reasons. Perhaps he simply didn't weigh some of the information appropriately to pass along, perhaps he thought some details didn't matter, perhaps he simply didn't want to discuss something that was irrelevant to the charges of rape (maybe he didn't admit to sex with her), i ... we... Just don't know.

We will never know and it's too late to even matter. I wish him the best like I do and want for everyone. Except Tom Brady. ef him.

Agree we will never know. I suspect he panicked and tried to make it sound better than it was when the Bills first asked him and had to row back later. I can think of at least two occasions in my younger life where I reacted that way when I should have been honest straight off the bat. Not as serious as the Araiza situation but where I hadn't done anything that bad but thought denying everything flat out was the way to go.

• Agree 1

The right thing to do was to bring Matt back into the fold and sign him. 

He was proven innocent of all charges and the lying person dropped her law suit.

But no, I'm sure there were " Voices" telling Beane that the optics weren't good AND when you have a female owner involved as well....

54 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It’s not about anyone being worried that Araiza will be some major weapon that helps the Chiefs to keep winning Super Bowls.  

It’s that we used a draft pick on a punter.  That’s always a big deal.  We have many of our own fans and local media members to thank for the injustice he faced. 

We then cut him due to that self-righteous mob. 

Pay real money for a punter. 

And now KC, who is already in far better cap shape than we are, gets to save a few million by signing the guy we drafted (for a reason) on the cheap. 

And we can keep paying real money for a punter, or waste yet another draft pick/UDFA signing on one… one who surely doesn’t have the potential of Araiza. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

He was proven innocent of all charges and the lying person dropped her law suit.

But no, I'm sure there were " Voices" telling Beane that the optics weren't good AND when you have a female owner involved as well....

Once again, it wasn't so much optics but I think Beane and the organization themselves were frustrated with the whole Araiza case.  Not that he was guilty but he was not transparent about the entire situation and thus dragged the Bills through a PR nightmare.  He was never coming back to Buffalo after this whole thing went down.  And it wasn't because of Optics or having a female owner.  

1 hour ago, ren1701 said:

JFC, the Bills didn't "jump the gun".  He was accused of gang raping a 17 year old.  Bills had two choices.  Cut him or keep him on the roster.  Bills were Super Bowl favorites going into that season.  Keeping him on the roster would have been an insane distraction.  None of it was fair to Azaria.  He was accused, not convicted.  But to argue that the Bills has a choice here is disingenuous at best.

5 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

JFC, the Bills didn't "jump the gun".  He was accused of gang raping a 17 year old.  Bills had two choices.  Cut him or keep him on the roster.  Bills were Super Bowl favorites going into that season.  Keeping him on the roster would have been an insane distraction.  None of it was fair to Azaria.  He was accused, not convicted.  But to argue that the Bills has a choice here is disingenuous at best.

ok you and everyone else do this to Von Miller who has at least 3 serious allegations / arrests for domestic assault.

42 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s basically how it goes. Accused names should always be sealed in any rape investigation. I’m not sure why they aren’t.

In the UK it's because it's very hard to prosecute accusations of rape so the hope is, by making the name public, it may encourage others who have been attacked by the accused but haven't come forward to do so. I assume it's the same in America.

28 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

There was a perfect opportunity to bring back Matt but the organization failed to jump on it. 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Love giving free draft picks to the Chiefs. Thanks Buffalo media for applying the pressure on the Bills to get this kid cut.

Buffalo media?  This was a huge national story that was in all media outlets, not just sports media.  The Bills were trying to get through training camp and play in a preseason game and this was 100% of what Beane and McDermott were dealing with every day.  The team was the favorite to win the Super Bowl and needed to get the focus off of a rookie punter's legal troubles and back onto football.  They were in a terrible spot and made the best decision they could at the time.  In a perfect world, they would have let the legal process play out, but the Bills did not have the luxury of time.

For those that now lament the Bills not signing him after the legal matters were dropped, there are several things at play:

1.  It's likely the bridges were burned with the Bills and he wasn't going to come back

2. 31 other teams stayed away from him for 2 seasons, so it's not like the Bills were a bumbling outlier

3. Signing him for the playoffs would have been a terrible idea.  The guy had played only 1 NFL snap (in the PRESEASON), had never been a regular PAT/FG holder, and had never played in cold weather.

I'm happy for the kid that his legal troubles are behind him and glad he's getting a chance to resume his career.  It sucks that it's with one of the Bills' rivals, but he was a free agent and could have signed wherever he wanted.  It wasn't going to be Buffalo, and KC gave him the opportunity.  It's time to move on.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, boyst said:

ok you and everyone else do this to Von Miller who has at least 3 serious allegations / arrests for domestic assault.

I'm okay telling it how it is - Araiza was easy to let go because he was a punter on a rookie deal. Von Miller is an edge rusher on a contract that is practically impossible to get out of. If their legal situations were reversed I have no doubt their current status with the team would still be exactly the same. And every single team in the league would have handled both situations the exact way we did. No team would have kept Araiza on the roster because he is just a punter. That may not be fair, but anyone complaining about how the Bills specifically handled the situation isn't being realistic.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

In the UK it's because it's very hard to prosecute accusations of rape so the hope is, by making the name public, it may encourage others who have been attacked by the accused but haven't come forward to do so. I assume it's the same in America.

In America it's because we have much more lax freedom of speech laws. There's no specific reason the accused's name is reported, but media has the right to report it so they do.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If memory serves correct on this there were a lot of inconsistencies from Araiza to the team. From not telling the team at all, to only giving parts of the story, to lying about sexual contact, etc. until it was found out they did have sex outside the apartment. 

I am not sure there was much of any chance that public institution to keep Araiza even if he managed it perfectly. But Araiza made sure that a slim chance was rounded all the way to zero. 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

If memory serves correct on this there were a lot of inconsistencies from Araiza to the team. From not telling the team at all, to only giving parts of the story, to lying about sexual contact, etc. until it was found out they did have sex outside the apartment. 

I am not sure there was much of any chance that public institution to keep Araiza even if he managed it perfectly. But Araiza made sure that a slim chance was rounded all the way to zero. 

Tell them what?

He told them all they needed to know." 

"I'm innocent".

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There was a perfect opportunity to bring back Matt but the organization failed to jump on it. 

You have 0 idea whether this is true

17 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Tell them what?

He told them all they needed to know." 

"I'm innocent".

You have 0 idea what he told them

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In one of the last interviews I read by Araiza he said something to the effect of "it's a shame that teams don't stand by their player(s)."  I knew right then and there that he would never sign with the Bills.

Araiza ostensibly chose to be cut when he chose his legal counsel. His lawyer was not going to be low key or civil. The collective amnesia is strong on this board forgetting the public airing of laundry between the two sides early on was classless and embarrassing. Buffalo had no choice from a PR perspective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Morally, I felt it was tough to cut him without due process.

Business and football-wise, it was a no-brainer to jettison him. 

Tough decision. Really glad the kids’ life isn’t over and he gets to pursue his dream.

Not sure there’s anything else to say. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t get the doom and gloom…  The Chief’s had one of the best punters in the league last season and they’re replacing him with the “punt god”?  Sure, he can kick it a mile.  He’s also inconsistent because he kicks line drives and his directional kicking isn’t good.  Oh by the way, he wasn’t a holder in college either as he was the place kicker too.  The Chief’s may save some money but I think they’re downgrading the position.