Matt Araiza signs with Chiefs

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

exactly--this is the final, missing piece for those KC Super Bowl hopefuls!!

lol, this thread is everything I hoped it would be....and more!!

Considering you thought he'd never get signed, I doubt this thread is everything you hoped it would be...

• Haha (+1) 2

Bills were in a no win situation, they had to release him. The media mob and fans were out in force at that time.

As for Araiza’s comeback.  The Bills care about optics.  The Chiefs care about winning.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It’s been a couple of years but what I remember is that he could kick it a mile, just not sure of the direction.  I’m glad he’s getting another chance but I don’t think he’s an upgrade over the Chief’s current kicker.  Any team could have tried to sign him to their roster or practice squad for months and didn’t.  The next time our biggest concern with any team is the punter, it’ll be the first time.

29 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

It’s not a downgrade when you consider the salary cap hit of Ariza vs Townsend.  Maybe a 5% drop off in productivity for an 80% cap savings?  

It is a downgrade in punting. There is no other way of seeing it. Townsend is the best punter in the league. Whether it makes financial sense is a different question. I understand what the Chiefs are thinking. They are thinking we can afford to get worse at punter rather than some other spots. I get that. But they are getting worse if they swap Townsend for Araiza. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Total speculation on my part. My thought is when the Bills grilled him about his involvement in the case , he may have not told them everything. I’m not saying he was guilty but perhaps the Bills got a bit blindsided by some aspects of the case. Otherwise the Bills are just incompetent as he is clearly better than who they have had since. 

I've seen a couple different insiders report on this before and it always felt very plausible to me.  The Bills felt like his camp wasn't completely upfront and honest about what his situation was and felt like they were embarrassed in front of the Nation over this story.  I get being pissed he signed with KC but he was never coming back to Buffalo and I agree with the Bills front office on this one.

59 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

People like you are the reason why there was a media distraction. Nobody was willing to apply the slightest amount of critical scrutiny to a story that was shady af from the very beginning.

I'm sorry, how does the bolded make me the problem? My man, you are out for blood and blinded by rage.

For the record, in that "pitchfork" post you are referring to, I never said he was guilty or innocent. At most, I said the allegation doesn't look good. And it didn't. But I never condemn someone until all the facts are in and a case plays out. I wanted him to be here more than anyone. I still have my 'Punt God' Nike spoof shirt I bought after the Draft around here somewhere. I was sad when we had to let him go.

How exactly is me pointing out that the situation went beyond just the "pitchforks" make "people like me" the reason it was a media distraction? I got news for you - if no one took out their "pitchforks", if no one said a single word - the media would have still went as wild as they did. What people said on this board had no barring on EVERY national news outlet, sports or otherwise, running with the story as soon as it dropped.

The "pitchforks" coming out or not coming out wouldn't have changed a single thing. Beane still would have had to answer to the media and probably Roger Goodell. We still would have had to use 2 active roster spots for 2 straight year on Punters. 

Go ahead and take a bow for being in his corner the whole time. My point is your argument - is moot. Pitchforks or no pitchforks on this board, the situation would have played out the exact same way. Here or on another team.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a downgrade in punting. There is no other way of seeing it. Townsend is the best punter in the league. Whether it makes financial sense is a different question. I understand what the Chiefs are thinking. They are thinking we can afford to get worse at punter rather than some other spots. I get that. But they are getting worse if they swap Townsend for Araiza. 

For all we know Ariza is an upgrade at a fraction of the cost.  Chiefs are up against the cap and have multiple big time free agents they want back, all of which are significantly more important than a punter.  Including financials, there’s “no other way of seeing it” this is an upgrade. 

Edited by TheWeatherMan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ugh. Really? It took the entire year for his name to be cleared. What did you want the Bills to do? They definitely couldn’t play him.

Grow a pair of balls and respect the way the legal system works that we all appreciate for Von Miller, evidently.

The team is a giant hypocritical joke because they haven't done anything with Fraud Miller.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ugh. Really? It took the entire year for his name to be cleared. What did you want the Bills to do? They definitely couldn’t play him.

Way back when, once he was eligible to be put on the practice squad, they should have done that.

And they certainly should have signed him last week, or as soon as they were able to (by league rules).

• Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Total speculation on my part. My thought is when the Bills grilled him about his involvement in the case , he may have not told them everything. I’m not saying he was guilty but perhaps the Bills got a bit blindsided by some aspects of the case. Otherwise the Bills are just incompetent as he is clearly better than who they have had since. 

Did you listen to schop and the diabetic mouth? The diabetic mouth was ranting about how this guy needs to be executed. It didn't matter what anyone thought. He was just a punter and didn't deserve the respectable treatment that the saint Von Miller has gotten for his 5th legal issue!

I wish that fat***** bulldog posted here. He needs neutered.

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'll take it a step further - there isn't a team in the NFL that wouldn't have done the same. You can be mad about it and say "nuh uh - it would have been just us because we're dumb", but I supremely doubt it.

It was terrible timing and a terrible situation. Since it happened before he entered the league, the option to put him on an exempt list didn't exist. We would have had to use a 53 man roster spot on a guy who wasn't here and another spot for another Punter for two straight seasons, if we wanted to wait everything out. All the while it being a media distraction hanging over our heads for all that time.

NO team in the league would have done that. And it was far from just us who had pitchforks out. It was a national story picked up by even non-Sports outlets. Every NFL fanbase and every media outlet had the same "pitchforks" out.

Is it unfortunate it played out as it did and KC reaps the possible rewards? Yes. But this idea that we should have waited it out and never let him go - isn't really a reality. Whoever drafted him if it wasn't us, would have had the same thing happen in their house and would have done the same thing.

Sometimes in a room full of ######s who do stupid ***** a man has to stand up and do what's right. Glad terry is half of a man and this organization cares about PR more than anything. One day, I hope real men can step up and lead this world.

38 minutes ago, Capco said:

@jkeerie I was being sarcastic and mocking the whole "sky is falling" theme that is dominating this thread.  I thought that was obvious.

Nothing is obvious on this board, Capco.  The opinions by some are so extreme most especially when it comes to the Chiefs vs Bills.  I'm glad we can count you among the more level-headed.  A punter is not going to move the needle much considering Townsend was solid and consistent.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

For all we know Ariza is an upgrade at a fraction of the cost.  Chiefs are up against the cap and have multiple big time free agents they want back, all of which are significantly more important than a punter.  Including financials, there’s “no other way of seeing it” this is an upgrade. 

There's 'no way' of seeing replacing a guy who's an NFL All Pro selection at his position with a guy who has been out of the NFL for two seasons, has a half of a training camp, 1 Pre-Season game, and 1 Pre-Season Punt as his combined total NFL experience, as anything but an upgrade?

I know we're all emotional right now, but I can see a number of ways it isn't.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

Did you listen to schop and the diabetic mouth? The diabetic mouth was ranting about how this guy needs to be executed. It didn't matter what anyone thought. He was just a punter and didn't deserve the respectable treatment that the saint Von Miller has gotten for his 5th legal issue!

I wish that fat***** bulldog posted here. He needs neutered.

Sometimes in a room full of ######s who do stupid ***** a man has to stand up and do what's right. Glad terry is half of a man and this organization cares about PR more than anything. One day, I hope real men can step up and lead this world.

Okay, so you would have used 2 roster spots on 2 Punters for 2 straight seasons? 

This wasn't just Bills PR either. It was NFL PR. 

I didn’t think Gabe Davis would end up in KC, but now I’m pretty certain he’ll be there on some 3/30 type nonsense. 

Chiefs just flexin now.  Everyone knew whoever signed Araiza was getting a talented punter and massive headlines.  KC enters the chat and kicks the wall in like the Kool Aid guy. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

There's 'no way' of seeing replacing a guy who's an NFL All Pro selection at his position with a guy who has been out of the NFL for two seasons, has a half of a training camp, 1 Pre-Season game, and 1 Pre-Season Punt as his combined total NFL experience, as anything but an upgrade?

I know we're all emotional right now, but I can see a number of ways it isn't.

If saving $3M+ per by signing Ariza instead of an all world punter (with a potential minimal drop off) allows you to re-sign or sign an impact player, it’s a major upgrade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Nothing is obvious on this board, Capco.  The opinions by some are so extreme most especially when it comes to the Chiefs vs Bills.

Well, they say a good troll attempt is one that isn't obvious, so I'll take that as a compliment!  😅

Two things to keep in mind, imo.  1) fan is short for fanatic, and fanaticism is basically an irrational, emotionally driven state of mind.  2) most people are fairly dumb anyway lol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

There was ZERO chance Bills were doing anything other than cutting him once the allegations were made.  Remember the allegations?  Having non consensual sex with a minor? 

You know what? The Bills did a great job with putting a total lid on ANY info about Kim Pegula…for Six Months…when she disappeared from public view. Nobody in the media even dared ask a question about her.

They could have showed some loyalty and done the same thing for Matt A. After all, I always hear/see/read that the Bills organization are one big “family”, right? And that includes Bills fans too. They certainly didn’t treat Matt A. like family. After an initial presser (after the bogus lawsuit was made public), they could have shut down any & all media questions & inquiries by stating at that first presser that they would not be addressing it again. But that would have taken brass balls by Beane & McClappy, and they obviously have no such cajones.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Okay, so you would have used 2 roster spots on 2 Punters for 2 straight seasons? 

nope, would have just signed him as soon as we could have. There was no reason to have him on a roster. They also could have stood by him and forced the league to deal with it. They certainly have stood by Von…

Edited by Meatloaf63
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

You know what? The Bills did a great job with putting a total lid on ANY info about Kim Pegula…for Six Months…when she disappeared from public view. Nobody in the media even dared ask a question about her.

They could have showed some loyalty and done the same thing for Matt A. After all, I always hear/see/read that the Bills organization are one big “family”, right? And that includes Bills fans too. They certainly didn’t treat Matt A. like family. After an initial presser (after the bogus lawsuit was made public), they could have shut down any & all media questions & inquiries by stating at that first presser that they would not be addressing it again. But that would have taken brass balls by Beane & McClappy, and they obviously have no such cajones.

Give me a break.  They made a business decision, plain and simple. I'm not thrilled with everything that McBeane does, but to suggest that those guys lack guts or fortitude . . . is nuts.  

The analogy you attempt to draw between this situation and the Kim P. situation is inapt.  The Bills had a measure of control over the Kim P. situation.  Everyone who dealt with her in Florida signed a confidentiality agreement. Local media was politely told that the story was off-limits, and that anyone who tested that edict would find various other things, such as their press pass, off-limits as well.  By contrast, the Bills had no such means to control the Araiza accuser, her attorney, or any aspect of that story other than Araiza's employment status. 

Finally, while we're on the subject of "cajones," perhaps if Araiza had such fortitude and, simultaneously, a set of clean hands, he wouldn't have discontinued his defamation action against his accuser.  But he did.  And here we are. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Yeah.... there's a huge difference between the media asking about the health of a woman who has no barring on the field or in public and was barely visible in the first place and trotting an accused r-pist on the field every Sunday.

We could have said "we don't want to field questions about this". It wouldn't matter. They would never let it go and we'd be destroyed for avoiding the subject on a daily basis.

Let alone the heat from the League Office for making the League look bad. If you don't think Goodell and the league office weren't putting pressure on them to make this go away - i've got a bridge to sell you.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Bills were in a no win situation, they had to release him. The media mob and fans were out in force at that time.

As for Araiza’s comeback.  The Bills care about optics.  The Chiefs care about winning.

The Bills kept Von Miller and cut Matt Araiza, right?

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The NFL would have had to step in and done something. You can't convince me otherwise.

Further, released him and put him on the practice squad is also an option. 

21 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

There wasn't a total lid. Many many people knew about it but didn't spread it. The media in Buffalo report about half the stories they could.

This story was known about within a few weeks. Two massive strokes and loss of some functions. Last I cared to check she can't speak well and has other various motor skills issues.

15 minutes ago, boyst said:

The NFL would have had to step in and done something. You can't convince me otherwise.

Further, released him and put him on the practice squad is also an option. 

You can't be convinced by the rules that are in place and the fact that it was outwardly stated that they would do nothing? There were two options - keep him on the roster or cut him. It was attested to in the presser. The league wasn't going to make a special exemption for him. Simple as that. I was hoping they would but it was made clear that they wouldn't. I don't know how you aren't "convinced" by fact.

As for the Practice Squad idea, that keeps him from being on the field. But that doesn't stop the media from hounding them and the league putting pressure on them for keeping him on the team.

You might think "F-ck the media, F-ck the league! F-ck PR!". That's great for you, you rebellious soul. But that's not the reality of how it works with multi billion dollar companies that have to answer to networks, advertisers, and the public.

30 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah.... there's a huge difference between the media asking about the health of a woman who has no barring on the field or in public and was barely visible in the first place and trotting an accused r-pist on the field every Sunday.

We could have said "we don't want to field questions about this". It wouldn't matter. They would never let it go and we'd be destroyed for avoiding the subject on a daily basis.

I’m going to bed soon, and not going to go back and forth with you on this, but she was President of the Buffalo Bills, which is waaaaaaayyyyy different than just a “regular” wife of an NFL owner, who is not involved AT ALL in the operations of the club.

And like I said, YES, they surely could have stonewalled the questions if they had wanted to, just like they have with Von Miller.

• Eyeroll 1

49 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Not cool to bring the Kim situation into this. She suffered a life changing health event and deserved privacy. Full stop. Matt A was publicly accused of sexual assault. I hope you appreciate the difference. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I’m going to bed soon, and not going to go back and forth with you on this, but she was President of the Buffalo Bills, which is waaaaaaayyyyy different than just a “regular” wife of an NFL owner, who is not involved AT ALL in the operations of the club.

And like I said, YES, they surely could have stonewalled the questions if they had wanted to, just like they have with Von Miller.

The comparison is apples and oranges on SO many different levels. How you can't see it is completely insane to me.

On that note, I agree, I don't want to go back and forth on this because it's madness that you think it's remotely comparable on any level.

2 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Not cool to bring the Kim situation into this. She suffered a life changing health event and deserved privacy. Full stop. Matt A was publicly accused of sexual assault. I hope you appreciate the difference. 

They don't.

They, like so many others today, are so in their feels over Kansas City landing him that they're seeing red, ignoring common sense on multiple different levels, and lashing out with hairbrained ideas as to how this injustice could have been avoided (spoiler alert - it couldn't) - in a completely black and white manner, ignoring the MANY shades of grey.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Considering you thought he'd never get signed, I doubt this thread is everything you hoped it would be...

Hey...good for him!  Gets him out of his parents house.

But you know what this a great thread doc.....come on

Matt was a once in 5 years kinda punter. The Bills made the best decision they could at the time. Obviously the kid was setup.
The Bills just weren’t going to take the heat of keeping him around. In light of the Von Miller fiasco and how bad the bills special teams where the last year the Bills made very bad decision. 
The Chiefs are just trolling the Bills at this point since other then Josh going punch for punch with Patrick they pretty much own this franchise.

Well played KC well played. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Go back and look at the allegations. They were horrific. Azaria and two teammates allegedly gang raped a 17 year old.  There was no way the Bills were keeping him on the roster after that.  It stinks but it was as inevitable as it was unfair.  I’m glad he has cleared his name and glad he’s getting a second chance. I wish the second chance was with the Bills.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, st pete gogolak said:

Go back and look at the allegations. They were horrific. Azaria and two teammates allegedly gang raped a 17 year old.  There was no way the Bills were keeping him on the roster after that.  It stinks but it was as inevitable as it was unfair.  I’m glad he has cleared his name and glad he’s getting a second chance. I wish the second chance was with the Bills.

And many of us recall Beane alluding to details that he withheld from the team about that night, and was released after.