Bills need a hardnosed, blunt QB coach

Back2Buff

Reich did get the most out of Wentz, so would he be interested.  He’s been a failed HC on two teams so not sure he wants to go back to a QB coach.  I disagree with the blunt comment, rather a coach who knows how to get the most out of a QB.

Allen played lights out down the stretch so he’s not the problem.  He played a great game in KC.  He wasn’t the problem and we lost by 3, not 13.

We lost that Chiefs game because our defense was so banged up we had backups and backup of backups playing.  We beat the Chiefs just a few weeks earlier when we had more starters.

Edited by machine gun kelly

22 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

With the Bills not learning and just giving Josh what he wants in the OC coach again, they need to find a QB coach that is going to get into Josh's brain.  A guy that has been around for a while, and isn't looking to baby Allen.

One guy I'm wondering if he will do it as a "favor", is Frank Reich.  He obviously doesn't need a job, but wondering if he would come back here to try and get us over the hump.

These last two hires at QB coach, Dorsey and Brady, have been young guys that were looking to eventually be head coaches.  We don't need to go in that direction again.

LOL

You say you want tough and hard nosed but then bring up Frank Reich?

That’s like saying I need a tough off road vehicle…give me a Toyota Corolla.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

The nostalgia for old Bills appears again. It's sway on the fan is powerful. It causes fans not to think critically. It has the kavorka.

No one who has been HC twice is going to come back as a position coach--even as a favor.

Besides, Josh is just fine. Strategy and play calling in the early season were the culprits of 6-6. McDermott andJoe Brady fixed that.

1 minute ago, boater said:

The nostalgia for old Bills appears again. It's sway on the fan is powerful. It causes fans not to think critically. It has the kavorka.

No one who has been HC twice is going to come back as a position coach--even as a favor.

Besides, Josh is just fine. Strategy and play calling in the early season were the culprits of 6-6. McDermott andJoe Brady fixed that.

Get the heck out of here with that crap, seriously just go away. The guy led the league in turnovers on continuous BONEHEAD plays.  People need to stop blaming everyone else but the guy literally giving the ball to the other team.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

what Josh needs most is a legit WR2  (like Aiyuk, waddle, Nacua, Higgins, etc..)

I wish there was a trade to be made for Aiyuk, maybe a DB and some picks. Not sure why the 9ers would move him, but he will be pretty expensive going forward with a lot of money tied up in veterans on their team, especially at the skill positions. I'm sure they would find a way to make it work with a very cheap QB on the books. But a guy like Aiyuk would be a great fit with Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

Get the heck out of here with that crap, seriously just go away. The guy led the league in turnovers on continuous BONEHEAD plays.  People need to stop blaming everyone else but the guy literally giving the ball to the other team.

Pittsburgh game = 0 interceptions.

Chiefs game = 0 interceptions.

Regular season = 18 interceptions over 17 games.

Yeah, he had a bad day the first game of the season against the Jets with 3 interceptions. Don't let that bias your perception of the other games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pittsburgh game = 0 interceptions.

Chiefs game = 0 interceptions.

Regular season = 18 interceptions over 17 games.

Yeah, he had a bad day the first game of the season against the Jets with 3 interceptions. Don't let that bias your perception of the other games.

We don't even play the playoff games if the defense doesn't get this team into the playoffs.

We have the number one seed and week 18 "bye" if Allen doesn't throw 3 picks vs Jets, 2 vs Den, and doesn't throw a pick on first play of game vs NE.  How healthy would we have been if guys didn't have to play for 2 weeks?

Just now, Back2Buff said:

We don't even play the playoff games if the defense doesn't get this team into the playoffs.

We have the number one seed and week 18 "bye" if Allen doesn't throw 3 picks vs Jets, 2 vs Den, and doesn't throw a pick on first play of game vs NE.  How healthy would we have been if guys didn't have to play for 2 weeks?

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

If we're analyzing that way--imagine if Bass was his old reliable self and didn't shank kicks. Or imagine if receivers didn't have so many drops  ...and the list goes on.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

If we're analyzing that way--imagine if Bass was his old reliable self and didn't shank kicks. Or imagine if receivers didn't have so many drops  ...and the list goes on.

Every kicker misses kicks.  Every WR drops passes.  Pretty sure the team with the most drops is in the super bowl.

Allen leads the league in turnovers since he became a regular starter.

25 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Every kicker misses kicks.  Every WR drops passes.  Pretty sure the team with the most drops is in the super bowl.

OMG, that team in the Super Bowl had a QB with 5 less turnovers than Allen.  

Mahomes - 17 turnovers

Allen - 22 Turnovers

Lets take a look at TD's now.

Mahomes - 27

Allen - 44

So if we're doing the net production....

Allen  +22

Mahomes  + 10

People like Brett Farve, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Big Ben and Eli Manning all lead the league in turnovers and most of these more than once.

They all won Super Bowls. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

We have the 1 seed if McDermott didn't let the Eagles, NE, and Denver walk down and score after Josh gives the go ahead TD.

Blaming the QB when he's consistently the best player on the field is convenient and lazy.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/29/2024 at 7:47 AM, Back2Buff said:

With the Bills not learning and just giving Josh what he wants in the OC coach again, they need to find a QB coach that is going to get into Josh's brain.  A guy that has been around for a while, and isn't looking to baby Allen.

One guy I'm wondering if he will do it as a "favor", is Frank Reich.  He obviously doesn't need a job, but wondering if he would come back here to try and get us over the hump.

These last two hires at QB coach, Dorsey and Brady, have been young guys that were looking to eventually be head coaches.  We don't need to go in that direction again.

I bet if we had a coach like that Josh might even be perennially in the MVP conversation and be commonly referred to as a future Hall-of-famer. 

90FB1CEE-AA89-4BD6-B0C2-4812CFDE481D.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

You do know that Allen didn’t actually lead the league in turnovers, right? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/29/2024 at 7:55 AM, JustHewIt said:

Why? Is there something wrong with our quarterback that needs tough love? I thought he played pretty damn well after he got out from under whatever Dorsey was coaching him to do.

When Josh Allen is locked in, I believe he's the best QB in the NFL. 

He has far too much variance to actually be considered the best QB in the NFL right now though.. that goes to Patrick Mahomes. 

And you'll say that it's because of the hardware, but he has the hardware because of the work put in throughout the season. 

This is the first year that he's had to play a road playoff game.  And even this year, where he was uncharacteristically up and down, they were able to bank enough wins to rest everyone Week 17.   That matters.

We had to go all out Week 17 and lost multiple guys for the playoffs.  Then the following week, lost even more.

Chiefs rested Week 17, and it's a good thing they did, because since then they've lost Thuney and Omenihu. 

Chiefs last year had a bye week and then played a weak Jax at home.. ta-da right into the AFC CG.

Baltimore this year had two bye weeks, played a weak Hou at home.. ta-da right into the AFC CG. 

Is there anyone that can make Josh more consistent during the season?  If so, it's worth exploring.

On 1/29/2024 at 6:47 AM, Back2Buff said:

Others have honed in on your suggestion of Frank Reich.

I'd like to hone in on your suggestion that someone who "isn't looking to baby Allen" is what is needed.

That implies that past QB coaches perhaps *have* tried to "baby Allen".

I'd like to understand why you think that.

It must be weird to be a Bills fan and also hate Allen. 

I remember Kelly with *checks notes* a league leading 19 interceptions in 1992.  Frank Reich on the other hand only had 2 that season. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Haters gonna hate; do you ever see any positive posts from these same people or ever see them show up after a win?  Yeah, me either. 

They usually vanish for a couple of days before starting back up.

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

We are also likely the 1st seed if the defense can hold the lead that Allen gave them in 3 games with under 2 minutes to play.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/29/2024 at 7:47 AM, Back2Buff said:

Even with his very good first half of year, and likely even better year next year, I doubt Brady would be ready to be a head coach after next season.

Maybe after a few superb years, but for now he is the best guy for the job.

Dorsey as a head coach!! Almost surreal that he would think this, but almost no chance of that now, unless it is a middle school or pee wee team in desperate need. I think he would be a great Gatorade boy, however, the kind of non thinking, menial task he could excel at.  With a lot of practice and significant monitoring and assistance.

Edited by Mister Defense

On 1/29/2024 at 8:35 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

Just hire Pete Carmichael Jr. He was really good for the Saints for many years and he's a super experienced sounding board for Joe Brady who has extensive knowledge of the system. He would be a great extra pair of eyes for Brady and Carmichael was with Drew Brees for a long time back to their San Diego days, so I have to give him some credit for what Brees did in NO.  I think an experienced coach is what he needs. He's been coached by kids ever since Daboll left. 

Sean Ryan was the QB coach in Carolina and worked for Bill O'Brien, Tom Coughlin etc. I don't know about his style, but he is also an experienced name out there. 

Former Eagles OC, Brian Johnson would be a nice get if he doesn't get a job as an OC somewhere. 

Outside the box thinking, Todd Haley is known to be pretty abrasive, is an E-P coach, and could do good things for Josh, or he could ruin him. 

I could also see Thad Lewis coming over if the Bucs bypass him for the OC position. He is a young guy, so I am not sure that is ideal. 

So Carmichael to the Broncos. I still think Sean Ryan makes a lot of sense. He is freely available working for a college I believe. 

On 1/29/2024 at 9:11 AM, Bob Jones said:

Sounds like you're saying that JA has no room for improvement. I totally disagree with the latter. 

He definitely could use help with how to read what defenses are doing, and also with his decision-making (regarding where to throw the ball). Plenty of All-22 film from plenty of games this past season make the latter fairly obvious.

This part of the game is what’s holding him back. He has all the physical tools. It’s the processing part that separates the best of the best. I hope he devotes time to improve this aspect in the offseason. 

• Agree 3

On 1/29/2024 at 9:17 AM, BullBuchanan said:

How many more weapons does he need? He had Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, Cook, and even Knox. Who did Mahomes have besides Kelce?

There aren't many teams that have more passing weapons than us.

It’s funny that most people on here believes that Allen is better than Mahomes. Then turn around and demand that Allen needs all pro pass catchers everywhere to help him win. 

All the while Mahomes is leading his team to yet another Superbowl with a rag tag receiving group. I get being homers but sometimes it’s just too much. 

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

We have the 1 seed if McDermott didn't let the Eagles, NE, and Denver walk down and score after Josh gives the go ahead TD.

Blaming the QB when he's consistently the best player on the field is convenient and lazy.

How did we take the lead in NE, maybe a Poyer fumble?!?!  The offense got the ball first in OT and what happened?  The Bills offense had EIGHT possessions where they got ZERO points vs Den.  Ya, lets blame the defense.

Edited by Back2Buff

7 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

How did we take the lead in NE, maybe a Poyer fumble?!?!  The offense got the ball first in OT and what happened?  The Bills offense had EIGHT possessions where they got ZERO points vs Den.  Ya, lets blame the defense.

3 times the defense had less than 2 minutes on the clock left with the lead and they blew it.  Yes, let's blame the defense.

I'm not willing to put anymore of the team on Allen then what's already on his shoulders.  The guy is the Bills, and jabronis like this want to run him out of town because he was just SUPER ALLEN and not SUPER SUPER ALLEN that last possession.

I wish I could live in a world so black and white. If the most scoring TD QB in the damn league isn't "doing enough" then maybe we should look around at the other 21 guys on the field.

It must be easy to have such a binary vision of sports. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, 90sBills said:

It’s funny that most people on here believes that Allen is better than Mahomes. Then turn around and demand that Allen needs all pro pass catchers everywhere to help him win. 

All the while Mahomes is leading his team to yet another Superbowl with a rag tag receiving group. I get being homers but sometimes it’s just too much. 

You misrepresent what is being said.  First off this is the first season in which it could be said that Allen's package of skill players was on par with the Chiefs.  Over the previous 5 seasons there was no comparison as Mahomes enjoyed a huge advantage in the complimentary talent surrounding him.

But even this year Mahomes had a great defense that has actually played better in the playoffs then the regular season.  Allen has never enjoyed the luxury of having a defense that wasn't anything but terrible in the playoffs.

Mahomes has Reid.

And the difference between the Chiefs and Bills this season was a FG.  They finished with the same record and Buffalo gave KC it's toughest game in the AFC playoffs.

I think that Mahomes is the number one QB in the NFL because he is the most accomplished QB playing today.  I think it's fair to say that Allen, because of his unique physical gifts, may be as good or better then Mahomes but until he can win a couple of Super Bowl titles Mahomes will always be considered the "better" QB.

25 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

You misrepresent what is being said.  First off this is the first season in which it could be said that Allen's package of skill players was on par with the Chiefs.  Over the previous 5 seasons there was no comparison as Mahomes enjoyed a huge advantage in the complimentary talent surrounding him.

But even this year Mahomes had a great defense that has actually played better in the playoffs then the regular season.  Allen has never enjoyed the luxury of having a defense that wasn't anything but terrible in the playoffs.

Mahomes has Reid.

And the difference between the Chiefs and Bills this season was a FG.  They finished with the same record and Buffalo gave KC it's toughest game in the AFC playoffs.

I think that Mahomes is the number one QB in the NFL because he is the most accomplished QB playing today.  I think it's fair to say that Allen, because of his unique physical gifts, may be as good or better then Mahomes but until he can win a couple of Super Bowl titles Mahomes will always be considered the "better" QB.

KC’s receivers were not great last year either and they won it all. I disagree that the difference between Buffalo and KC this year is a fg. The difference between the two is one team playing in the Superbowl and the other team that cannot win when it really counts. It isn’t limited to just this year either. 

As for Allen. He has all the physical tools. Even though Mahomes can make all the throws I think Allen has the bigger arm. Where he trails Mahomes is the mental side of the game. This is something that Allen can and should improve if he wants to continue to be in the conversation as one of the top QBs in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

KC’s receivers were not great last year either and they won it all. I disagree that the difference between Buffalo and KC this year is a fg. The difference between the two is one team playing in the Superbowl and the other team that cannot win when it really counts. It isn’t limited to just this year either. 

As for Allen. He has all the physical tools. Even though Mahomes can make all the throws I think Allen has the bigger arm. Where he trails Mahomes is the mental side of the game. This is something that Allen can and should improve if he wants to continue to be in the conversation as one of the top QBs in the league.

KC had much better skill players in 2019, 2020 & 2021.  They had a much better offensive line in 2022. 

As for Mahomes being ahead of Allen in the "mental" aspects of football I agree and would point a finger at Reid as the reason.  On his best day DaBoll was only a fraction as smart an offensive guy as Reid.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

MVS did, sure. And I'd take MVS over Sherfield and Harty obviously. But he isn't the Sherfield and Harty equivalent he is the Gabe Davis equivalent.

Their depth receivers have been no shows. Skyy Moore has yet to touch the ball. Mercole Hardman had a fumble that if the Bills had executed at the end would have cost them the game and Toney's contribution these playoffs has been to rant his way out of the NFL on twitter. 

Thats true but even when Gabe was on the field, Shefield was getting on a lot too. Sherfield was almost 34% on the year. Harty was only like 13% though. 

We can say our weapons are better but they were not playing like it.  This team needs an elite outside receiver. 

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Thats true but even when Gabe was on the field, Shefield was getting on a lot too. Sherfield was almost 34% on the year. Harty was only like 13% though. 

We can say our weapons are better but they were not playing like it.  This team needs an elite outside receiver. 

No question this team needs better weapons. No question at all. But so do the Chiefs. Their receivers (I stress receivers not pass catchers, excluding Kelce) were bottom 3 in the NFL this year.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:48 PM, 90sBills said:

This part of the game is what’s holding him back. He has all the physical tools. It’s the processing part that separates the best of the best. I hope he devotes time to improve this aspect in the offseason. 

yeah, agreed.  And he needs a top QB coach to develop that.   Or like hire Romo as a film watching consultant.  

19 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

KC had much better skill players in 2019, 2020 & 2021.  They had a much better offensive line in 2022. 

As for Mahomes being ahead of Allen in the "mental" aspects of football I agree and would point a finger at Reid as the reason.  On his best day DaBoll was only a fraction as smart an offensive guy as Reid.

I agree that Mahomes is ahead but i think it's much more than Reid.  He makes these little decisions during a play that other QBs just screw up or panic about.  

For example, against the Ravens it was a 3rd down around midfield still early in the game.  The edge rusher was right in Mahomes' face so fast on a screen pass.  Most QBs would have thrown it right into the defender for a deflected incompletion or taken a sack. Mahomes calmly lobbed it very high over the edge rusher's arms with nice little touch right to his RB in stride for a conversion and nice gain.  Very underrated stuff like that and it's all Mahomes on instinct,

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I agree that Mahomes is ahead but i think it's much more than Reid.  He makes these little decisions during a play that other QBs just screw up or panic about.  

For example, against the Ravens it was a 3rd down around midfield still early in the game.  The edge rusher was right in Mahomes' face so fast on a screen pass.  Most QBs would have thrown it right into the defender for a deflected incompletion or taken a sack. Mahomes calmly lobbed it very high over the edge rusher's arms with nice little touch right to his RB in stride for a conversion and nice gain.  Very underrated stuff like that and it's all Mahomes on instinct,

Again though Mahomes benefited from a shut down defense in the Ravens game.  After going up 17 - 7 how many times did the Chiefs drive the ball?  Mahomes enjoyed a luxury that Allen has rarely enjoyed in the playoffs:  the ability to repeatedly not score points on offense with the expectation that the opponent wouldn't be able to score either. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.