2024 WR Draft Class

On 1/28/2024 at 7:27 PM, Brand J said:

Remember, it’s not about where a player is taken, but rather who it is. Detroit’s impact receiver Amon-Ra St Brown went in the 4th. The 49ers Deebo Samuel? He went in that second round you worry about. There’s so much luck involved with these picks, a guy could pass every single test, athleticism, size, productive college career, and then can get to the pros and be a dud. By all accounts, it looks like Marvin Harrison Jr will be a beast at the next level, but for every Calvin Johnson, a Charles Rogers lurks 😅

I won’t get too hung up on where Beane takes a receiver within those first 5 rounds as long as he takes two of them. Preferably higher since the chances of hitting are greater, but I won’t worry one way or another. Let’s see what happens when they step on the field.

U can say this about every position. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10107281-2024-senior-bowl-takeaways-jackson-powers-johnson-ol-group-steals-show-on-day-1

"WR Xavier Legette, South Carolina

As for underperformers, it's hard to ignore Legette's day.

To be clear, he had some nice moments. For example, the second-team All-SEC selection made one outrageous catch on the sideline during team drills. However, Legette struggled to separate down the field during one-on-ones.

One particular rep showed the major concern with his game. He stacked the opposing defensive back, but he couldn't find that extra gear to break away and get under the ball"

7 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Puka Nacua had a horrible senior bowl and uneventful combine. Some WRs play better in games, like some CBs. 

Not sure how he did after the first day, but Puka Nacua was considered one of the big winners of Day 1 of practices last year just like Ladd McConkey and Roman Wilson this year.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/27/2024 at 2:23 PM, mannc said:

I can almost guarantee that Beane will trade up...probably only a few picks perhaps to 25 or 26, but he simply can't resist.  And we're picking in a place where the WRs are really going to be coming off the board fast.  KC will definitely be looking to move up...  

we barely missed on Addison last year.    Trade up is prob ideal tbh 

• Disagree 2

After watching some highlight videos from WR ranked in the top 50, I don't think we will need to do anything dramatic or bold to move up and grab a damn good WR

In fact, but it will depend on how the offseason and the combine plays out, we might be able to trade back and still pick up a damn good tall and fast WR

This is all based upon very little actual due dilligence but the majority of the following WRs should most defintely be available at our 1st rd pick or possibly top on the 2nd round

Xavier Worthy
Troy Franklin
Keon Coleman
Adonai Mitchell

Devontez Walker
Brian Thomas Jr. ( long shot end of 1st)

Edited by ddaryl

9 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

After watching some highlight videos from WR ranked in the top 50, I don't think we will need to do anything dramatic or bold to move up and grab a damn good WR

In fact, but it will depend on how the offseason and the combine plays out, we might be able to trade back and still pick up a damn good tall and fast WR

This is all based upon very little actual due dilligence but the majority of the following WRs should most defintely be available at our 1st rd pick or possibly top on the 2nd round

Xavier Worthy
Troy Franklin
Keon Coleman
Adonai Mitchell

Devontez Walker
Troy Fautanu (long shot possibility end of 1st)

I’m sure it’s a typo, but Fauanu isn’t a WR.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/28/2024 at 11:08 AM, CNYfan said:

When I read a post like this I am left confused.  The word "he" is employed 5 times and then "him" once.    But not once is the "he/him" defined or referred to so that reader can understand who is being discussed.   

I get that I could recycle back through two pages of conversations and solve this, but may one solid reference would be an aid to understanding.  

This is not an uncommon occurrence in threads here, hell, people don’t even mention what happened on plays or what the score is in the GDT, I have become accustomed to this and end up going back several pages to see who is being referenced, SOP for message boards. 

10 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Xavier Leggette is like the Josh Allen of Wrs the kid is a flat out freak athlete but will need time to develop he definitely has the most upside of any Wr in this draft outside of Harrison Jr. 

I believe the Bills will be one of the best places for Leggette to land as we have a pecking order in place already with Diggs, Kincaid and Shakir and Leggette can slide in from day one in Gabe Spot . He can be used in Wr screens and vertical routes to begin his career while polishing his route running. Leggette reminds me of a mix of Deebo/Metcalf he has that crazy YAC ability that Deebo has and also has the vertical speed and leaping abilities that DK posseses. 

If the Bills want to take a Wr at #28 and Leggette is still on the board u have to take him. He'll have his rookie bumps but like I said he'll have time to properly develop all while giving us a much needed weapon at the X reciever spot. I also believe he can be used at times in the slot and will be a flat out nightmare after the catch in the middle of the field. 

Some say that WR needy teams passing on Leggette will live to regret it like they did with Metcalf. Certainly that's possible but I don't know how likely it is. One of the things that makes the top of this years class special is a relatively low risk when projecting them to the next level (though of course they all have weaknesses and things to improve on). Leggette strikes me as more of a boom or bust prospect than any of the other highly rated players. I certainly wouldn't say that the Bills have to take him at 28, especially considering who else might well be available.

But if the Bills do take him rest assured I will be 100% behind him.

10 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

U can say this about every position. 

WR is one of the harder positions to scout. Beane is on record as saying as much, I believe the year we traded for Diggs, and you had that loaded WR class. Perfect example of this, Eagles and Patriots, who have had a lot of success drafting over the years, but have really struggled when it comes to drafting WRs. For this reason, I'm afraid Beane waits until early day 3 before selecting one. Hopefully not. Outside of size, weight and speed. 

1. Can he separate against man coverage?

2. Can he find the open holes in zone? I believe this second part is the most critical, because it speaks to the players understanding of coverages. We all see the amount of disconnect this year between Josh and Gabe.

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I went searching here for mentions of Nacua prior to the 2023 draft.  There were a few, but this one by @KOKBILLS stood out.  Kudos!

That’s awesome! I definitely didn’t watch any BYU and missed Nacua. He’s a stud and definitely should’ve been drafted higher. 

I was right on Flowers though. Remember a lot of guys saying he wouldn’t pan out because of whatever metrics they wanted to use to include his “short arms” 🙄

9 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I went searching here for mentions of Nacua prior to the 2023 draft.  There were a few, but this one by @KOKBILLS stood out.  Kudos!

It makes me extremely nervous that the OP was “well, we have to take a WR in the first two rounds” like we’re saying now and of course, they didn’t. 

29 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It makes me extremely nervous that the OP was “well, we have to take a WR in the first two rounds” like we’re saying now and of course, they didn’t. 

That shouldn’t make you nervous. 😉 

12 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

While this linked post does prop up Nacua before many others (good on ya), it also gets a bunch wrong. More wrong than right tbh. Hyatt and Johnston being obviously better prospects than Flowers, for example. 

8 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

WR is one of the harder positions to scout. Beane is on record as saying as much, I believe the year we traded for Diggs, and you had that loaded WR class. Perfect example of this, Eagles and Patriots, who have had a lot of success drafting over the years, but have really struggled when it comes to drafting WRs. For this reason, I'm afraid Beane waits until early day 3 before selecting one. Hopefully not. Outside of size, weight and speed. 

2. Can he find the open holes in zone? I believe this second part is the most critical, because it speaks to the players understanding of coverages. We all see the amount of disconnect this year between Josh and Gabe.

It's definitely a difficult projection, but with respect to the bolded, that is more about the E-P option-based route concepts Daboll installed and Davis's inability to sync up with Allen with respect to reading defensive coverages and leverages pre- and post-snap. 

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

😈

Diggs

Brian Thomas Jr 

Shakir 

Xavier Legette

Hollywood Brown

CHOO CHOO  WR TRAIN ALL ABOARD

There used to be his band called Supertramp who were popular in the last century…you probably never heard of them …

They  had this song called “Dreamer”…just saying 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

There used to be his band called Supertramp who were popular in the last century…you probably never heard of them …

They  had this song called “Dreamer”…just saying 

They should be in the Rock N Roll HOF.  

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

My point is there are busts at every position at every pick. I'm on the Bpa train obviously within reason. The Ravens draft BPA every yr and there always pking towards the back of the first same with the Bengals and Steelers. 

When it comes to your point about Wrs and there skill sets obviously u want to see if they can do the basics. I'll tell u why there's a higher bust rate most Wrs tend to play with there physical abilities in college not counting on leverage, Footwork, Technique, Route Running and catching abilities and the systems they play in are usually simple and they only ask for the Wrs to run a few different routes. Over the last few yrs NFL offenses are going to more spread offenses making the transition easier for Wrs and we've been seeing the bust rate go down drastically. 

At the end of the day u can't take a position off the board due to bust rates because every position has busts. If u have conviction on a player u have to take him no matter the position he plays.

5 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Over the last few yrs NFL offenses are going to more spread offenses making the transition easier for Wrs and we've been seeing the bust rate go down drastically. 

Definitely true. 

I agree on the Ravens as well. Almost every year it feels like I look at the entire classes at the end of draft weekend and think "man the Ravens crushed it again." They stick to the board and they pick the best football player. It is actually startlingly simple. They don't over complicate it. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Some say that WR needy teams passing on Leggette will live to regret it like they did with Metcalf. Certainly that's possible but I don't know how likely it is. One of the things that makes the top of this years class special is a relatively low risk when projecting them to the next level (though of course they all have weaknesses and things to improve on). Leggette strikes me as more of a boom or bust prospect than any of the other highly rated players. I certainly wouldn't say that the Bills have to take him at 28, especially considering who else might well be available.

But if the Bills do take him rest assured I will be 100% behind him.

He's definitely boom or bust but I still feel the same way if he's there u take him. One of the issues with Bills drafting over the yrs is they tend to go safe with there picks giving us adequate average players . The Bills desperately need difference makers and Leggette definitely it's the mold of a player that can reach that high ceiling potential.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Definitely true. 

I agree on the Ravens as well. Almost every year it feels like I look at the entire classes at the end of draft weekend and think "man the Ravens crushed it again." They stick to the board and they pick the best football player. It is actually startlingly simple. They don't over complicate it. 

I admire the Ravens front office Decosta is probably the best GM in the game. 

This yr might be the yr for the Bills were BPA meets need especially at Wr. Other Wrs I love is AD Mitch and Worthy not the biggest fan of the Franklin 

9 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I admire the Ravens front office Decosta is probably the best GM in the game. 

This yr might be the yr for the Bills were BPA meets need especially at Wr. Other Wrs I love is AD Mitch and Worthy not the biggest fan of the Franklin 

I like Mitchell, don't like him as a fit for the Bills needs particularly because he just don't seem to have that explosion. He is an all round solid player and I love his hands. He properly snatches the football from the air, attacks it. But I think we need explosiveness. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I like Mitchell, don't like him as a fit for the Bills needs particularly because he just don't seem to have that explosion. He is an all round solid player and I love his hands. He properly snatches the football from the air, attacks it. But I think we need explosiveness. 

Why not get both. We need some sure handed WRs too. He is a great route runner for a big dude and gets separation which we need as well. Yes to get one guy with everything would be awesome but Mitchell checks a lot of boxes. I also disagree with @NastyNateSoldiers Franklin is awesome. He reminds me of a taller Diggs with more explosion 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, zow2 said:

The Shakir pick was so good.  Hopefully Beane has his eyes on multiple players who can translate to NFL football like he did.

I like what we saw from Shakir this year - really encouraging- but a little early to conclude that he is the answer in the slot.  I hope he is, but defenses will have film on him this coming season.

Also, it’s relatively easier to find a guy who can be a reliable slot receiver compared to finding a guy who can play well outside.

• Like (+1) 1

Devonte’s Walker is having a bit of a rough time at the Senior Bowl.  Difficulties getting open and dropping passes - I guess not too surprising that he might need more development than some others given that he played at Kent State until last season and then wasn’t eligible early in the year at UNC.  I don’t claim to be fully able to evaluate these guys like Gunner and some others can, but Walker didn’t wow me in a couple full games that I watched.

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Devonte’s Walker is having a bit of a rough time at the Senior Bowl.  Difficulties getting open and dropping passes - I guess not too surprising that he might need more development than some others given that he played at Kent State until last season and then wasn’t eligible early in the year at UNC.  I don’t claim to be fully able to evaluate these guys like Gunner and some others can, but Walker didn’t wow me in a couple full games that I watched.

I’m hoping teams bypass him because of this and he falls to us in the 2nd or even 3rd round. Kid is a difference maker and even though he needs some good coaching refinement I think he’ll be a stud. 

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

Why not get both. We need some sure handed WRs too. He is a great route runner for a big dude and gets separation which we need as well. Yes to get one guy with everything would be awesome but Mitchell checks a lot of boxes. I also disagree with @NastyNateSoldiers Franklin is awesome. He reminds me of a taller Diggs with more explosion 

Franklin I need to do some more work on just watched a few highlights but really haven't got down to some other forms of evaluation. 

I’m no expert but I really can’t remember a year when a Bills position of need seemed as well stocked in a particular draft class. Certainly not since the latest playoff run has had them picking near the end of the First Round. Feels like the year to sit tight and see who’s sitting there when our number comes up…which also just happens to work out well for our Cap issues. 

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m no expert but I really can’t remember a year when a Bills position of need seemed as well stocked in a particular draft class. Certainly not since the latest playoff run has had them picking near the end of the First Round. Feels like the year to sit tight and see who’s sitting there when our number comes up…which also just happens to work out well for our Cap issues. 

If Brian Thomas Jr makes it to pick 16 for Seattle, Beane should strongly consider moving up to jump ahead of Miami and other WR needy teams 

• Disagree 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

If Brian Thomas Jr makes it to pick 16 for Seattle, Beane should strongly consider moving up to jump ahead of Miami and other WR needy teams 

You may be right but this sure feels like the perfect year to stockpile Draft Picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You may be right but this sure feels like the perfect year to stockpile Draft Picks. 

not against that either, but it seems every year we lose 2-3 players we drafted via either camp cut or practice squad poaching anyway.

I'd be willing to sacrifice a fair amount of picks for 2 legit studs at WR

If not, then at least take the best available WR at 28 and maybe get lucky if the monster DT Sweat falls to us in the 2nd.

Then take another swing at WR in the 3rd too  (assuming we have a comp pick)

Edited by Warriorspikes51