Bills Offensive Coordinator Interviews have started according to Jeremy Fowler

JoeF

22 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He was the passing game coordinator I believe, for a team that passed extremely efficiently and broke every NCAA record.ย 

Theyโ€™ll leak as they happen, we have to waitโ€ฆ

I donโ€™t like waiting, ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿšฌ๐Ÿšฌ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿšฌ๐Ÿšฌ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿšฌ๐Ÿšฌ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ

3 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I think thereโ€™s some better options out there than Brady but will McDermott make a change. ย I just donโ€™t see it happening. ย 

When you consider the game plan the Bills used against KC, which clearly had McD's fingerprints all over it as it was designed to protect his injury ravaged D, it's Brady's job to lose.ย 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

So when are they calling Eric Bienemy?

ย 

If there's anybody out there who knows more about the Chiefs...ย 

This would be an interesting interview.ย  Last year I would have said "hell no" but Bienemy did a good job in Washington in spite of not having much to work with.ย ย For Bienemy it might be his best shot to parley this job into a head coaching job.ย  I suspect that when Ben Johnson is hired by the Commanders Bienemy will become available.ย 

ย 

I won't throw myself into the falls if it's Brady.ย  But I hope they bring in a talented, creative passing game coordinator if it's him.ย ย 

ย 

And, yes, I know the Bills have a few former offensive coordinators on staff.ย  But I'm frustrated by this suboptimal, predictable offense that can't seem to scheme guys open.ย ย 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

McBeane have a weird tendency to make decisions based on what appears to be a best-case scenario way of thinking. ย My concern is that Brady would be another of their โ€œhope for the bestโ€ maneuvers, most of which have not panned out. ย I am not against it but I would want them to hedge by adding some experienced voices to the mix, even beyond what theyโ€™ve already got in Boras and Kromer.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

Glad they are leaving no stone unturned.

I hear they are also building a robust analytics department....

ย 

If they are actually interviewing people from the OUTSIDE, for real, I'll be impressed.

ย 

I thought Brady would already have the permanent job by now.

ย 

I'll be shocked if they bring in a big name or someone with some clout; McDermott will want an underling he can walk on.

ย 

ย 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

My evaluation of Joe Brady..

ย 

Pros:

1. Coaching style: Brought more energy/juice to the off room- including getting Josh back into a groove and fewer turnovers

ย 

2. Playcalling: liked we had better balance and used Cook/Kincaid in more ways.ย  Better rhythm overall

ย 

3. Ability to improve: we've yet to see him install "his system", did a good job working within the existing system

ย 

4. Diverse scheme: we haven't seen it fully yet, but Brady has experience in effective and good schemes in the past

ย 

Cons:

1. Passing game: struggled down the stretch vs expectations

ย 

2. Retread: hasn't been successful everywhere he's been.ย  fired from Carolina

ย 

ย 

I think he gets the job for 3 reasons:

1. Continuity/familiarity

2. We haven't seen "his scheme" yet, and he runs an offense that McD likes

3. WR2/weapons: not blaming everything on WR2, but when you want to run a short/intermediate attack (with select downfield shots), Gabe doesn't fit at all/we didn't have many options other than rookie Kincaid

ย 

Get a legit WR in round 1 and another FA.ย  We need to do a better job in FA at finding a weapon to use/worth the $ (Beane has invested, albeit low $s, that add up and haven't panned out)

ย 

ย 

I'll add a pro: the players say Brady's very collaborative.ย  He seeks input from both the players and position coaches.ย  I think that's great.ย ย 

ย 

But I worry about Con #1.ย  ย Even with that feedback, he couldn't scheme guys open.ย  And receivers ran imprecise routes.ย  When Josh Allen is your QB, your passing attack should be more consistent and potent.ย  ย 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

ย 

I'll add a pro: the players say Brady's very collaborative.ย  He seeks input from both the players and position coaches.ย  I think that's great.ย ย 

ย 

But I worry about Con #1.ย  ย Even with that feedback, he couldn't scheme guys open.ย  And receivers ran imprecise routes.ย  When Josh Allen is your QB, your passing attack should be more consistent and potent.ย  ย 

And did Allen really show growth under Brady? ย 

• Like (+1) 1

We need a grown up OC. No slight on JB, but Josh needs and deserves an experienced and creative OC. Josh grew under Daibold, and has leveled out since he left. This video is the opposite of the Kurt Warner video of the Bills offense. Creative, players are open and the defense is left watching. Mind you mahomet makes some f-great throws but nothing Allen can't make.ย 

ย 

https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0016dhWb3jM49u65rk6AXatyqGe1CFX8LtkZHkvFZD16SL6KV31wcilgC_4RTN-9Ujg6P7QLvlT9_W8exd4QB5K_GkwOVYoyLdi6XbYviHZBL5uc9RtNmUSxCwR4Eq5BRvYsOLs2YTq9ruel_W828onrQ6tTjcIZLaZq8qkPownTrg=&c=rtSpLpxp6u2U6FYuF3IPQedgZj2EtNVhpF3MQ3_jLLm8g7CqrA1cJw==&ch=ExBvTzyFdeGSuxDZVPjd8-IEc5uyFjZgfn52KRZDhtI-_RmgQFRZow==

ย 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

And did Allen really show growth under Brady? ย 

ย 

I'd say he returned to Daboll's Allen for the most part, especially in the play offs, then the floor of Dorsey's Allen, who looked completely lost.

ย 

Saying that, I think Josh was leading in TDs when Dorsey was sacked.

2 hours ago, BBFL said:

The only guy I have confidence in is Josh. Need someone whoโ€™s able to help him by scheming wide open throws. That comes in part with talent at the receiving end but rarely do we see a guy wide open for the YACโ€ฆ Something everyone was clamoring for last off season. It didnโ€™t change.ย 
ย 

Shanny, McDaniels, Reid and Johnson all produced offenses high in that category with questionable talent outside their #1 targetsโ€ฆ

Agreed. Additionally you get an established OC /former HC and maybe you can keep him for years because he'll want to win championships having scratched the HC itch.

It is also funny that we act like Brady was not here for Dorsey's failures. He was part of it as QB coach. Get in some fresh blood. Keep Brady if you want to by giving him a pay bump and asst OC title, passing game coord, or something.ย 

• Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

McBeane have a weird tendency to make decisions based on what appears to be a best-case scenario way of thinking. ย My concern is that Brady would be another of their โ€œhope for the bestโ€ maneuvers, most of which have not panned out. ย I am not against it but I would want them to hedge by adding some experienced voices to the mix, even beyond what theyโ€™ve already got in Boras and Kromer.

Yeah I could see Pete Carmichael Jr. coming over, among some others. And I really like Brady, but it is certainly feels like the path of least resistance.ย 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He was the passing game coordinator I believe, for a team that passed extremely efficiently and broke every NCAA record.ย 

Theyโ€™ll leak as they happen, we have to waitโ€ฆ

granted with great weapons and a great qb but at some point you have to get rid of that energy that he was a coffee guy. He got his chances after that quickly for a reason.

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

ย 

Do you know what he did then?ย  He didn't create the game plan or call the plays.ย 

he absolutely was involved in creating the game plan, designed plays, etcโ€ฆย 

There is no way that Joe Brady stays here in a reduced role. Heโ€™s getting HC interviews. If the Bills donโ€™t keep him, heโ€™ll get one of the 14 current OC openings pretty quickly. Ken Freaking Dorsey has interviewed in Cleveland and Philadelphia.ย 

• Agree 1

Just now, Low Positive said:

There is no way that Joe Brady stays here in a reduced role. Heโ€™s getting HC interviews. If the Bills donโ€™t keep him, heโ€™ll get one of the 14 current OC openings pretty quickly. Ken Freaking Dorsey has interviewed in Cleveland and Philadelphia.ย 

ย 

Then I'd say let him go.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

That is what we say about everyone. Yet Daboll is the only one finally did get a job.ย 

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Brian Johnson was getting head coaching interviews and then got fired as the OC in philly in the same week

• Like (+1) 1

I donโ€™t know if Kingsbury is the right person, but I would prefer this approach. Bring in a successful OC who needs to rehab his image for his next HC shot. This team is too far along for on-the-job training.ย 

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I also donโ€™t think itโ€™s a stretch to say, barring any additions to the team trophy case, 2024 is McDโ€™s final season.

ย 

Anyone who wants to be a HC will want to be the OC here, and thatโ€™s honestly the type I hope we look for.ย 

I think if McDermott makes the Championship, he gets another year. If he has another Divisional round exit or less, he's gone

Does anyone think McDermott would allow an oc to come in here and run the offense how he sees fit? I know that won't happen.it happened with daboll and mcd isn't gonna let some oc come and wreck his vision....the process is surrounding yourself with all yes men that obey apparentlyย 

4 hours ago, beer can shower said:

Would some candidates balk at coming here because of working for McDermott?

Absolutely bc McDermott only wants an oc who is gonna run the offense how he wants..no proven oc is coming here to ve told how he is allowed to run an offense

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

OC for the Bills is actually a REALLY good spot. I think guys will come out of the woodwork.ย 

Is it though? The rift between dabol and McDermott was over the way dabol ran the offense..mcd has a certain way he believes this offense needs to be and by damned that's the way its gonna be.......so mcd will hire guys who have little to no exp as oc and have them run his process

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

ย 

To me, that guy is Zac Robinson. Played in the league and is coming from the Rams staff. My issue is with a defensive head coach coach, the guy they hire becomes the CEO of the offense. I'd want a guy with more experience in that role and that's why I like Kingsbury or Arthur Smith even though their recent work has been less than stellar.

ย 

That will never happen

6 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Yeah itโ€™s pretty much status quo here. This is an organization and coach thatโ€™s pretty happy with just Divisional Round appearances.ย 

Our new 7-9 ๐Ÿ˜‚โ€ฆ๐Ÿซ โ€ฆ๐Ÿ˜

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I also donโ€™t think itโ€™s a stretch to say, barring any additions to the team trophy case, 2024 is McDโ€™s final season.

ย 

Anyone who wants to be a HC will want to be the OC here, and thatโ€™s honestly the type I hope we look for.ย 

If we make the AFCCG, then I would bet he stays.ย 

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

ย 

ย 

Read this article and it sounds awfully familiar to what we seen in Buffalo in the few weeks.

ย 

A lot of people forget that he wasn't the offensive coordinator at LSU, he was the passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach, thus meaning he has never had full control of an offense before. Looking back on it, you could argue that those star players that he had at LSU were the sole reason he earned an opportunity with Rhule and the Panthers in the first place. Sometimes players make a coach look better than he really is.

ย 

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/a-look-at-why-the-joe-brady-experiment-failed

Called on ย to resurrect a bad season and went 7-2 when he was thrown to wolves mid-year ย using a hand me down playbook. ย Iโ€™d say he deserves a shot.ย 

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

My evaluation of Joe Brady..

ย 

Pros:

1. Coaching style: Brought more energy/juice to the off room- including getting Josh back into a groove and fewer turnovers

ย 

2. Playcalling: liked we had better balance and used Cook/Kincaid in more ways.ย  Better rhythm overall

ย 

3. Ability to improve: we've yet to see him install "his system", did a good job working within the existing system

ย 

4. Diverse scheme: we haven't seen it fully yet, but Brady has experience in effective and good schemes in the past

ย 

Cons:

1. Passing game: struggled down the stretch vs expectations

ย 

2. Retread: hasn't been successful everywhere he's been.ย  fired from Carolina

ย 

ย 

I think he gets the job for 3 reasons:

1. Continuity/familiarity

2. We haven't seen "his scheme" yet, and he runs an offense that McD likes

3. WR2/weapons: not blaming everything on WR2, but when you want to run a short/intermediate attack (with select downfield shots), Gabe doesn't fit at all/we didn't have many options other than rookie Kincaid

ย 

Get a legit WR in round 1 and another FA.ย  We need to do a better job in FA at finding a weapon to use/worth the $ (Beane has invested, albeit low $s, that add up and haven't panned out)

ย 

We said that about Dorsey and how did that work out?ย 

52 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I donโ€™t want anyone Josh vouches for, I donโ€™t want him comfortable, I want him pushed to be the best.

ย 

I'd argue he was pushing himself to be the best in the playoffs, no? Even though he was "comfortable" with Brady as his OC.

ย 

(Obviously wasn't "perfect" upon film review, but the guy was playing transcendently good football.)

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

ย 

I'd argue he was pushing himself to be the best in the playoffs, no? Even though he was "comfortable" with Brady as his OC.

He played smarter in the playoffs, except for his fumble he protected the ball well. Still needs help seeing the field or taking what is given at certain times. I want a better designed passing game, havenโ€™t seen that for a while.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Called on ย to resurrect a bad season and went 7-2 when he was thrown to wolves mid-year ย using a hand me down playbook. ย Iโ€™d say he deserves a shot.ย 

This is a Super Bowl contender. We have already tried the deserved a shot game with Dorsey.ย 

• Eyeroll 1

I think on reflection I would prefer to move on from Brady. It's nothing he did specifically. I just still see an overall lack of crispness in the finer details of the offense and that's what separates champions from divisional round losers. The routes aren't precise in a way that opens up other routes, the players aren't always on the same page, there appears to be an overall lack of accountability. I think Brady is a perfectly fine play designer and play caller. But I want a true coach at the position. Someone that the players respect and fear. Brady is probably too young to have that kind of reputation amongst 20-something multimillionaires. He still has his dues to pay in the league.

ย 

So for me I think my preference is Eric Bieniemy. He has a reputation that players don't enjoy working for him. I take that as a positive. He isn't afraid to hold anybody accountable, not even Mahomes when he was in KC. That more than an offensive whiz kid is what I think this offense needs to be more consistent on a week to week basis. He learned under the best of the best and for a time was even making Sam Howell look competent. He is a complete 180 from the coaching styles of Dorsey and Brady... maybe that's just what we need.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I love the way Joe schemed the RBs open in the passing game if only Cook didnโ€™t have stone hands.ย 
But the elephant in the room regardless who the coordinator isโ€ฆis getting receivers who constantly catch the ball.ย 

And scheming receivers open. Enough of Josh having to make the perfect throw. How are more than half of Loveโ€™s throw to wide open options but we hardly ever get so โ€œluckyโ€. Itโ€™s either because our WRs canโ€™t get any separation or we have play callers who canโ€™t scheme our weapons open. I think itโ€™s a mix of both. But I do like Brady, just think he needs to really get creative this offseason and the bills better go heavy on WRs. Screw McDs defense itโ€™ll be the same regardless if we have great or average defenders come playoff time

• Like (+1) 1

I like Brady, but I worry that all weโ€™ve seen from him was an Offense with Josh Allen unleashed.ย 
ย 

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but we need to have a well functioning Offense without Josh Allen running in, say.. Week 6 against some random opponent.ย 
ย 

Let him go off in big names and the playoffs, but our Front Office had the right idea coming into the season.ย 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I like Brady, but I worry that all weโ€™ve seen from him was an Offense with Josh Allen unleashed.ย 
ย 

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but we need to have a well functioning Offense without Josh Allen running in, say.. Week 6 against some random opponent.ย 
ย 

Let him go off in big names and the playoffs, but our Front Office had the right idea coming into the season.ย 

I don't think that is an unpopular opinion. It's common sense.ย 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.