Partial Safety solution

M. Wrotto

Doubtful that neither white nor Elam will be converted to safety. Neither are strong tacklers which is what is required from that position. 

1 minute ago, Success said:

White would be more likely, imo.

But they'll probably draft someone high, and pick up a FA.

High as in round 3?  No way it should be higher than that. McD took 2 late round corners and made them pro bowl safeties. We have other needs that need addressed by early picks. 

• Agree 5

11 minutes ago, M. Wrotto said:

I am pretty sure this was discussed quite a while ago, but I can’t find anything on it. With Hyde and possibly Poyer gone, what’s the possibility of transitioning Elam to Safety? I am in favor of it honestly.

Elam would be experimental, Benford would be an elite safety. 

All depends on Tre White and his recovery/willingness to take a pay cut. If White isn’t on the active roster, Douglas and Benford will be the starting CBs. 

I am super interested to see Elam get some reps at FS this summer, though. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Doubtful that neither white nor Elam will be converted to safety. Neither are strong tacklers which is what is required from that position. 

High as in round 3?  No way it should be higher than that. McD took 2 late round corners and made them pro bowl safeties. We have other needs that need addressed by early picks. 

I was thinking 3rd round.  Safety would be an unusual round 1 pick.

But I wouldn't want to wait too long.  We'll need an immediate impact player.

1 minute ago, Success said:

I was thinking 3rd round.  Safety would be an unusual round 1 pick.

But I wouldn't want to wait too long.  We'll need an immediate impact player.

I’m not sure about that. They got both poyer and Hyde in one FA period. They were both corners with position flexibility that allowed the bills to convert them to safety. I’d bet anything they are seeing who will be available on the FA market in a similar scenario where they could get them cheap and convert them. 

13 minutes ago, M. Wrotto said:

I am pretty sure this was discussed quite a while ago, but I can’t find anything on it. With Hyde and possibly Poyer gone, what’s the possibility of transitioning Elam to Safety? I am in favor of it honestly.

you mean the guy that’s struggling to get time at corner because his coach thinks he lacks zone skills and physicality in the run game? 

Doesn’t scream safety to me

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Bagwell358 said:

More likely bentford. Problem is we don’t know how good or bad Elam will be at corner and we may need 47 at CB. Plus he was pretty good there

Benford has become a very good CB. Don't see him moving anywhere. 

Probably a FA, along with Rapp. Poyer probably gone too.

• Agree 2

Just now, ALLinALLEN said:

I don’t understand the fascination this board has with moving a guy who a) is strictly a man to man cb and b)who struggled to even see the field in a zone defense. It’s an awful decision. 

I’m no football fundamental expert, but I would think the techniques are different. Elam could transition to safety rather nicely. 

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Benford has become a very good CB. Don't see him moving anywhere. 

Probably a FA, along with Rapp. Poyer probably gone too.

If White is still on the roster, Benford is depth. He is a phenomenal tackler with ball skills (talking Benford). 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Would rather just draft one and sign another. Kyle Dugger on this defense would be insane.

Give me a healthy Tre White as CB2, Benford at FS, Duggers at SS. 

Elam and Jackson the primary backups at CB. 

• Agree 2

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If White is still on the roster, Benford is depth. He is a phenomenal tackler with ball skills (talking Benford). 

Big question mark with White. Need to be 100% ready in training camp, or likely a cap casualty. 

2 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I don’t understand the fascination this board has with moving a guy who a) is strictly a man to man cb and b)who struggled to even see the field in a zone defense. It’s an awful decision. 

They are trying to make something out of nothing. For I guy to make the transition ideally you want a slightly bigger corner who can cover range is smart in zones and a sure tackler. And by cover range not necessarily fast but the being smart with zone and taking angles more so. Lockdown man corners don't typically need to close on a guy from 20 yards away.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

they see a savvy vet lose a step and suddenly anyone that can’t play outside can slide back to safety 

• Agree 1

The solution is Brandon Jones(that guy in the #29 you saw all over the field in the regular season finale), because it doesn't break the bank and also screws the Dolphins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I’m no football fundamental expert, but I would think the techniques are different. Elam could transition to safety rather nicely. 

Why? Care to elaborate. How a man to man guy that hasn’t been able to even start in a zone defense scheme would transition well to a safety? 

40 minutes ago, M. Wrotto said:

Why not Allen.   He's just sitting around on the bench when the defense is out there anyway.  I'm sure he could hit good, likely much harder than Elam can.  Knox would be another good choice, big hitter.

What evidence do you even remotely have to show that Elam would be be a good safety, or even just a decent one?

• Haha (+1) 1

With Taron at 190lbs on the field for almost 100% of the defensive snaps next to 2 linebackers who are on the smaller side, we need more size at safety to replace Micah.  I’d bring Rapp back who was greatly improved by end of season and I’d also sign a guy like Jeremy Chinn who’s a bigger safety.  Then I’d bring in an upper tier 1 tech like DJ Reader.  Joseph was good for a couple weeks but had no tread left on the tires.  I’m also tired of light in the ass Defensive Ends.  They wear down by the end of the year.  

2 hours ago, M. Wrotto said:

No.

Just because Hyde’s wife wrote a nice letter to the fans, doesn’t mean he will be gone.  Poyer ended up coming back.  That being said, not sure he is worth a large salary. Skills definitely eroded this year, but if the right price maybe one more year.

Benford?  Hate to see him not be a CB.  Dude has skills.  Needs to stay at corner, especially if Tre goes.

Elam?  Dude has speed and can stay in the receivers pocket well enough.  Just can’t track the ball while covering.  Would he be better if everything is in front of him? Probably would make sense to try him at safety.

8 hours ago, Bagwell358 said:

More likely bentford. Problem is we don’t know how good or bad Elam will be at corner and we may need 47 at CB. Plus he was pretty good there

Benford isn't moving to Safety. You don't take a very good and still developing young starting CB and move them to Safety.

It's much easier and much cheaper to replace a Safety than to replace a Cornerback.

We'll find a Safety to replace Micah Hyde. I'm not concerned. Even if it's a Day 2 Rookie that's going to take some lumps, I still think we'd be in a better position than we were with Hyde this year. 

I have all the respect in the world for him and all the love for what he did in his first 5 years with us. But he wasn't remotely the same player after the Neck injury. I think he knows it too and that's why he's most likely retiring.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I’m not sure about that. They got both poyer and Hyde in one FA period. They were both corners with position flexibility that allowed the bills to convert them to safety. I’d bet anything they are seeing who will be available on the FA market in a similar scenario where they could get them cheap and convert them. 

The Bills didn't convert them to safety, Hyde was only a corner his rookie year, GB shifted him to safety after that which probably isn't that rare for a 5th round corner. Same thing for Poyer who was a backup CB for Chip Kelly that couldn't stay on the field and then got converted to safety in Cleveland after being cut. They are probably the best pickups we had under Whaley. While some people have floated the idea of converting Benford, neither of these guys ever performed as well as Benford at CB. Also, I think for those pushing for Elam it would make less sense as he specifically struggles with zone.

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Just because Hyde’s wife wrote a nice letter to the fans, doesn’t mean he will be gone.  Poyer ended up coming back.  That being said, not sure he is worth a large salary. Skills definitely eroded this year, but if the right price maybe one more year.

Benford?  Hate to see him not be a CB.  Dude has skills.  Needs to stay at corner, especially if Tre goes.

Elam?  Dude has speed and can stay in the receivers pocket well enough.  Just can’t track the ball while covering.  Would he be better if everything is in front of him? Probably would make sense to try him at safety.

I think there is a distinct difference between those two wives and their interaction with fans on social media lol. Poyer's wife has been talking about them leaving since the start. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think it’ll be Rapp and Poyer. Cam Lewis 3rd safety. I also think Hamlin returns.

I don't think this would work because they both play the same style and you need free safety not another SS. Rapp is a liability on every play because he just runs real hard with his head down and tries to torpedo the play like a 70s safety and that doesn't work anymore. I honestly don't understand what happened to Hamlin, he really wasn't that awful as a young safety when he had to start. 

Not any corner can just move to safety.   What skill sets does a safety need and how does Elam rate in those areas?   Can you articulate why this is a good idea?   Or is it just guy is not working at corner so let’s do something else?

Edited by Matt_In_NH

If money weren't an issue White would be an obvious move to safety but his salary is troublesome.  Elam won't be able to adapt I'm afraid to the complexity of the role.  More than likely if Hyde is gone Poyer will be in a transition year and Rapp will take on more of a role.  We would be great signing someone like Duggar but we can't afford that.  Look for a signing in the same mold as Hyde or Poyer 7 years ago where they have been underrated (I kind of see Rapp as the one last year).  Benford isn't moving and he gets injured too much.

26 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I don't think this would work because they both play the same style and you need free safety not another SS. Rapp is a liability on every play because he just runs real hard with his head down and tries to torpedo the play like a 70s safety and that doesn't work anymore. I honestly don't understand what happened to Hamlin, he really wasn't that awful as a young safety when he had to start. 

Unfortunately Hamlin is broken goods as I think the mental game with good reason is too limiting.  I think Poyer and Rapp will be the best bet and pretty sure McDerm will make it work

8 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Value for the dollar.  Like getting the cafeteria lady to teach biology, or coach the football team. 🤔😁

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

If money weren't an issue White would be an obvious move to safety but his salary is troublesome.  Elam won't be able to adapt I'm afraid to the complexity of the role.  More than likely if Hyde is gone Poyer will be in a transition year and Rapp will take on more of a role.  We would be great signing someone like Duggar but we can't afford that.  Look for a signing in the same mold as Hyde or Poyer 7 years ago where they have been underrated (I kind of see Rapp as the one last year).  Benford isn't moving and he gets injured too much.

Unfortunately Hamlin is broken goods as I think the mental game with good reason is too limiting.  I think Poyer and Rapp will be the best bet and pretty sure McDerm will make it work

I mean we get some pretty sub-par safety play if Hyde is out. There is a very clear drop off when Rapp played in the backfield and not as a 3rd safety/lb. I'm not sure McD has show the ability to scheme around missing pieces like that yet. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.