Beane & McDermott end of season press conferences

Process

The failure to identify the little things concerns me about this coaching staff.  McDermott had such little faith in the Bills depleted defense stopping the Chiefs that he tried the fake punt.  So, the logical thing would be for the coaching staff - at the two-muinute warning - to tell Josh to focus on the short passes - make the underneath pass the primary read to get a first down so you can continue to run clock and force the Chiefs to use the final 2 timeouts.  The Chiefs were playing safe and protecting the end zone so those passes would have been (and were) open.  Clearly, that DID NOT happen.  Josh's eyes were down field on both of the following 2 plays.  That was a mistake in my book based on the situation.  McDermott and his crew sometimes fail to play situational football.

Edited by Murdox
  • Agree 1

Just now, Murdox said:

The failure to identify the little things concerns me about this coaching staff.  McDermott had such little faith in the Bills depleted defense stopping the Chiefs that he tried the fake punt.  So, the logical thing would be for the coaching staff to tell Josh to focus on the short passes - make the underneath pass the primary read to get a first down so you can continue to run clock and force the Chiefs to use the final 2 timeouts.  Clearly, that DID NOT happen.  Josh's eyes were down field on both of the following 2 plays.  That was a mistake in my book based on the situation.  McDermott and his crew sometimes fail to play situational football.

Does Josh still need this level of micromanagement after 6 years ? 

35 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

When is Allen going to perform in the regular season to get a first round bye?  I'm not a huge fan of Mcdemott, but if it wasn't for him and the D, this team doesn't even make the playoffs.  More games were won by the defense this year, than Allen.  This whole boo hoo Allen nonsense is pitiful.

Are you talking about the defense that was so good it allowed 3 teams that were trailing with less then 2 minutes to go in the game to come back and win?  And 2 of those teams had horrible offenses and QB's.  The most important job a D has is to hold a lead given them by the O in the last 2 minutes of a game.

1 hour ago, Low Positive said:

I don't think that he ***** his pants this time. I think that Chris Jones made a play. Also, if the BIlls had won the game you could say that the Andy Reid ***** his pants with that trick play call on the goal line. Run Pacheco straight ahead and it's a sure 7 points and probably the game.  Listen, I would not shed a single tear if Pegula fired McDermott today. I think that he's pretty good as a leader of men but I don't like his game management skills and I want someone who could bring some of that Shanahan magic. I think that Josh needs a new voice and a completely new offensive system. Not because what the Bills are doing is not working, but I think there needs to be a shakeup. But I also don't think that McDermott was the absolute cause of this loss. The Bills were not "embarrassed" and Reid didn't "completely outcoach" McDermott. Both offenses moved the ball pretty much at will, but the Chiefs made a few extra plays. I will give you that the Chiefs made better HT adjustments, but that's because they had to. We were winning at the half and running the ball with ease. In the end, it was a close game between two good teams. Again, Jones made a heck of a play driving Dion into Josh, or else the Bills may have won the game. That was, BTW, the first great play that Jones made all game. But people on this board are talking like the BIlls got boat raced like the Cowboys did. I get the frustration. I tore my Bills hat apart in the heat of the loss and declared that I was no longer a fan of the Buffalo Bills (I do this every year). My 18-yo daughter broke down in tears. My son didn't call me for 2 days and I still haven't spoken to my mother about the game. But after a few days now I am ready to move on. I also know that Pegula is not firing McDermott so getting worked up about that is futile. I will say that if the Bills draft that white CB from Iowa I will lose my 💩.

Great post!!!

McDimwit's comment about cutting his teeth with Reid and being a throw to win guy is not only inaccurate and disingenuous, it's insulting to Bills fans.  Assumes we know nothing.  

Just more CYA work from McLoser after a big loss.

After we made the OC change, we were the most run heavy offense in the league.

Expect more next year.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Does Josh still need this level of micromanagement after 6 years ? 

For all I know the staff told him to look in the end zone.  Why else were his eyes glued down field?  I can't imagine the staff didn't discuss the next 2 plays during the break at the two-minute warning and direct Josh's primary reads.  That's what coaches are supposed to do.

Edited by Murdox

Ultimately unless McD won the SB alot of you say "kick him to the curb". Those of you who do need to review the recent past where you would have killed to just make the playoffs. Look back and remember the slew of HCs that were going to get us to the promised land and never did. Andy Reid never won a SB with the Eagles. But he learned how to be a HC. Now he's the gold standard to many. McD in my opinion has improved every year. When he was hired he was a baby HC, then a teen HC, now he's become a grown man HC hardened and educated by the many games coached and their outcomes good or bad. You can't replicate real time in game circumstance, you have to live it to learn. I look forward to seeing him on the sideline next year helming this team.  Go Bills!!

1 minute ago, Murdox said:

For all I know the staff told him to look in the end zone.  Why else were his eyes glued down field?  I can't imagine the staff didn't discuss the next 2 plays during the break at the two-minute warning and direct Josh's primary reads.  That's what coaches are supposed to do.

We are never gunna know what was discussed …so further speculation is useless…

I don’t expect the coaches to have to micromanage him on every play though… he is been around long enough now to know what is required 

47 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

So who thinks Allen wants out after failing in the divisional round a few more times ?

I don't think he wants out. He probably is thinking about all the blown opportunities and maybe starting to question if this regime can take the step. He will never say that. Other players probably have seconds thoughts too. It's probably the elephant in the room. I'm surprised that McD hasn't lost some of the locker room. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I watched Josh last night.

(Edit 2: I am referring to the End of Season presser Josh held yesterday.

I did not see the end of game presser because I was crushed, as usual. 
    The OP started a thread about EOS pressers. )

This is going to come out wrong and be taken to mean what I’m not intending but:

He seemed too chill about losing. He said the right things. He gave the right answers. He wasn’t happy but he seemed resigned to it. Like a beaten person.

Remember the anger on here for Mahomes’ act after the first loss. It KILLED him to lose against Josh/Bills in the end of a close game. He wasn’t supposed to lose!  Mahomes and Kelcie and Reid were NOT losing this game. 

I think Josh is at the point of, What else can I do. Record breaking performances and they still beat us.

Edit: End of season presser 

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/rKGcqqMvvawzxE8v/?mibextid=WC7FNe

I can’t stomach to watch McDermott word drool into a mic. A pox on him and his process.

The actual end of game presser he did was very very raw and you could tell he was absolutely sick about that game ending. 

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

It also beats  saying “blow everything up” which I have read here a few times since the loss on Sunday 

Does it though. Those press conference gave me no hope for the future & gave me the impression they are just fine where they are.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Ultimately unless McD won the SB alot of you say "kick him to the curb". Those of you who do need to review the recent past where you would have killed to just make the playoffs. Look back and remember the slew of HCs that were going to get us to the promised land and never did. Andy Reid never won a SB with the Eagles. But he learned how to be a HC. Now he's the gold standard to many. McD in my opinion has improved every year. When he was hired he was a baby HC, then a teen HC, now he's become a grown man HC hardened and educated by the many games coached and their outcomes good or bad. You can't replicate real time in game circumstance, you have to live it to learn. I look forward to seeing him on the sideline next year helming this team.  Go Bills!!

I know that post is a year old but it still applies today.  IMO he's taken them as far as he can take them. I don't see them getting over the hump with him. Time to get an offensive minded coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't think he wants out. He probably is thinking about all the blown opportunities and maybe starting to question if this regime can take the step. He will never say that. Other players probably have seconds thoughts too. It's probably the elephant in the room. I'm surprised that McD hasn't lost some of the locker room. 

I mean they did come back and ripped off a killer season - but still you Have to question if they can win a championship 

2 straight losses at home in divisional - gotta be better 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I commented the other night that in his post-game presser, it seemed like there were a lot of things he wasn't saying.  I didn't want to read too much into it - but he HAS to be frustrated that he's still carrying this team, and by playing as well as he is & coming up short yet again.

And we can see why this week.  In addition to it just being disappointing, half of the talk in the media is stuff like "is Allen overrated?", and dissecting his decision to go for an OPEN TD like he threw a pick into triple coverage.

I can't name another Bill who made an impact play on Sunday.  The defense - McD's specialty - was an epic letdown for a 3rd year in a row.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Does it though. Those press conference gave me no hope for the future & gave me the impression they are just fine where they are.

What do you expect them to say ? They aren’t going to be saying anything negative about anything and  they probably haven’t had time themselves to make any detailed plans 48 hours after being eliminated …

I see no reason why they can’t be knocking on the door again next year… and I’m sure the betting markets will reflect this …

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

What do you expect them to say ? They aren’t going to be saying anything negative about anything and  they probably haven’t had time themselves to make any detailed plans 48 hours after being eliminated …

I see no reason why they can’t be knocking on the door again next year… and I’m sure the betting markets will reflect this …

That they were disappointed & angry realizing their way of building a football isn't championship caliber, instead of happy to be just be there. That they never should of been 6-6 in the first place, instead of thinking winning 5 straight is a major accomplishment.

5 hours ago, Process said:

Yeah, I haven't listened through the whole interview yet, but this is the first time I've listened to a Brandon Beane interview and done that sort of "blink and headshake" reaction a couple of times.  How do you know you'll be able to count on Von to be what you need him to be next year?  Oh we expect him to continue to improve, Von Miller is "trending up".  Diggs is a No. 1 WR because Brandon Beane believes that he is.

Maybe Beane has sounded this delulu all along and I haven't really processed it before because his delusions were at less critical positions, I dunno.

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

That they were disappointed & angry realizing their way of building a football isn't championship caliber, instead of happy to be just be there. That they never should havebeen 6-6 in the first place, instead of thinking winning 5 straight is a major accomplishment.

No coach of any professional sporting team is saying that they are “ happy just to be there”…

Edited by Aussie Joe

46 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I was a critic of him last offseason… but I think he has shown enough to be extended ..

Oh, gosh, we disagree then.  He's shown some improvement but going into his 4th year, you want to extend him? 

Where's someone who knows more OL play than I do to comment on this?

Just now, Beck Water said:

Oh, gosh, we disagree then.  He's shown some improvement but going into his 4th year, you want to extend him? 

Where's someone who knows more OL play than I do to comment on this?

Well… that person isn’t me … but I will wait and see what happens with him with great interest…

At this point I’m disappointed the bottom didn’t fall out and this team didn’t miss the playoffs all together if it means we’re stuck with this dog and clappy show for the foreseeable future.

It’s been painfully obvious for some time now that MiDermott has plateaued, he’s not getting it done, he won’t get it done, let’s just keep wasting Josh Allen.

Can honestly say Idgaf about the draft or free agency, any of it so long as they insist upon spinning their tires with Sean. You know how the story ends every year, Terry’s true colors are showing, he just doesn’t want the Bills to end up like the Sabres, as long as they are relevant and churning out winning seasons, he’s happy.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

What else can Beane say about Diggs other than what he said?  He knows that Diggs is mercurial and can't be traded or cut in the near-term, so how would it help to say that he is not a #1 WR?

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd be surprised if we draft any OL.  We have our entire starting line returning. As well as all our depth from this year.

We might decide to release Morse and promote Bates, or vice versa, and need a backup interior OL. But those are easy to find in FA (cheap compared to DL) and we have Broeker coming back.

We definitely need DTs, so I expect at least 1 DE and 1 DT drafted. Maybe even 2.

You never quit working on your O-line maybe the guys you get don't always replace the starters right away, but if they replace the back ups and can develop behind them great. That's how you maintain continuity and can keep affording a good one.

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, I haven't listened through the whole interview yet, but this is the first time I've listened to a Brandon Beane interview and done that sort of "blink and headshake" reaction a couple of times.  How do you know you'll be able to count on Von to be what you need him to be next year?  Oh we expect him to continue to improve, Von Miller is "trending up".  Diggs is a No. 1 WR because Brandon Beane believes that he is.

Maybe Beane has sounded this delulu all along and I haven't really processed it before because his delusions were at less critical positions, I dunno.

I don't know the way Diggs started off the season, plus I'd assume Beane has a much better idea of what Diggs was dealing with down the stretch of the season, I'm not just going to write him off yet.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

It also beats  saying “blow everything up” which I have read here a few times since the loss on Sunday 

Lies Liar GIF

I never said that, not even close. I said “burn it down.”

just joking with ya 😂 

Edited by BIGFOOTspaceman

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Do you honestly feel Spencer Brown is good enough in pass protection at RT? 

Yes. Definitely good enough to not waste a high pick trying to replace a player who was a key part of our strongest unit. And a late pick aint gonna beat him out.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I've said this for years and been flamed for it.

Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan would have taken this team to at least one superbowl by now. Won't go as far to say win it but they were/are upgrades with a QB like Josh Allen.

And before people brush this off remember that both have won road playoff games (something McD has never done) and both have been to at least one AFCCG which is the same career highlight as McD. They also did this with Blake Bortles and Mark Sanchez as their respective starting QB's.

Vine Wtf GIF

3 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Both offenses moved the ball pretty much at will

This is absolutely not the case. 8.5 yards per play versus 4.7 yards the play. Our drives had to be slow and methodical and error-free, and end with magical plays close to the goalline. The Chiefs were picking up massive chunks with ease. Their TDs came easy. Don't let the final score fool you. It was a total mismatch for the defenses, special teams, skill players, and coaching. Only one superior factor on our side kept it even on the scoreboard.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, eball said:

I know what you told me (about Dorsey) and I don't think what McD says constitutes a "lie"...I don't think he can tell the press something like that.

It's not just "you can't tell the press that".

McDermott as head coach literally has "fate control" of all the assistant coaches.  It is literally on him, no one else, to fire an assistant coach.

Every offensive player in the building could file into his office and stand there looking at him like a pack of Furbys after presenting a notorized petition signed by seven witnesses in red ink, and it's still McDermott's decision whether or not to use his authority and make that choice, because he is the man with the authority (fate control)

So even if the above happened, if McDermott says "it was my decision", he's not telling even a bit of a lie.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I kind of hope for his sake, that he does.  Between the neck surgery last season and then being out a lot with "neck" or "stinger" this season, I feel he's one wrong landing or wrong hit away from permanent disability.

Do you honestly feel Spencer Brown is good enough in pass protection at RT? 

I wouldn’t rule out OL but I’d highly bet against it in Rounds 1 and 2.  I think the focus really is going to find a new WR1 and I don’t buy the lip service about Diggs

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know the way Diggs started off the season, plus I'd assume Beane has a much better idea of what Diggs was dealing with down the stretch of the season, I'm not just going to write him off yet.

Fair.

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I know that post is a year old but it still applies today.  IMO he's taken them as far as he can take them. I don't see them getting over the hump with him. Time to get an offensive minded coach. 

reid noll landry cowher madden and McDERMOTT. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloMatt said:

reid noll landry cowher madden and McDERMOTT. 

Disagree. He's done a good job getting them to be competitive and out of the drought years. IMO this is a far as he takes them.  Complimentary football is an old school way of thinking.  They need to get a coach that will focus on the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Compare McDermott to Dan Campbell in Detroit. I understand people have different personalities; however, each team seems to take on the identity of their leader. Dan Campbell looks like he’d run through a wall and his team has taken on that mentality in Detroit. McDermott doesn’t instill that killer attitude in our team. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.