Bass manned up and spoke to the media. Diggs dissapeared during playoffs, then ducked the media

Pete

For anyone upset about Diggs not speaking to the media: What are you looking for him to say? And can't you already predict the exact player-speak and platitudes he'd say anyways?

Why is it so important for Diggs, or any player, to say anything after that game?

"We missed some opportunities. We'd love to have those plays back. We were happy with how we moved the ball and then fell short. Will be tough to deal with this in the offseason, but we'll use it as fuel and come back stronger next year." Blahblahblah...

There ya go. Absolutely worthless filler. Same as all the other postgame interviews. Pretend I have cornrows and now you'll feel better.

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Josh, Bengals game.   

Oh my god, you Sensitive Sallys need to build a bridge and get over it already. You have no idea what he was saying and in what context. We've seen plenty of times that JOSH, Diggs, and others get heated/pumped in order to pump up the rest of the team. Josh was in a bad lull that game and needed to snap out of it.

Josh has gotten over it. So should you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For anyone upset about Diggs not speaking to the media: What are you looking for him to say? And can't you already predict the exact player-speak and platitudes he'd say anyways?

Why is it so important for Diggs, or any player, to say anything after that game?

"We missed some opportunities. We'd love to have those plays back. We were happy with how we moved the ball and then fell short. Will be tough to deal with this in the offseason, but we'll use it as fuel and come back stronger next year." Blahblahblah...

There ya go. Absolutely worthless filler. Same as all the other postgame interviews. Pretend I have cornrows and now you'll feel better.

Oh my god, you Sensitive Sallys need to build a bridge and get over it already. You have no idea what he was saying and in what context. We've seen plenty of times that JOSH, Diggs, and others get heated/pumped in order to pump up the rest of the team. Josh was in a bad lull that game and needed to snap out of it.

Josh has gotten over it. So should you.

Maybe because it's his job and it shows a lack of character. Can't get out of his contract fast enough. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

i dig he doesn't want to talk to the media, deep down he knows how poorly he has played.

he's been a lesser player than shakir for the last month or so.  failed totally to get open vs the kc d (one on one) for the majority of the night and when he did get open he straight up drops a dime to the ground.

not a way to win play off games.

it's been put out there recently, he's a huge no show in all of our playoff losses.  at this point i think we are a better team without him, putting that money to work on another wr.

i remember someone was posting here that we woulda been way better off keeping the pick and taking the wr minni took.  i disagreed at the time, but oh my, how right they were.

• Agree 2

A few points:

- Yes, he should have addressed the media, it's what leaders do.  Fans do matter and as a leader you have to face the music for these press conferences.

- Diggs is a leader in the locker room, he works as hard as anyone and he cares deeply about winning.  Let's just stop pretending that he is apathetic.

- Something happened to Diggs this year and I still believe that he was playing through some sort of nagging injury.  I find it hard to believe that someone plays great all their lives and from one day to the next they become a very middling receiver.  Something happened.

- Diggs was not the player we needed this last half of the season and for that matter during this game.  He made a huge mistake with the drop and it certainly was a contributing factor to losing the game.  We needed a good version of Diggs and we didn't get it.

- I'm concerned with Diggs play moving forward, I do think he will improve from what we saw over the past 3 months next year, but I'm concerned until he begins showing that he is still "him".

- At the very worst, you still keep Diggs and don't even consider trading him (unless you get a too good to pass up trade offer) I wouldn't actively seek for it.  It's imperative that the Bills draft from my perspective at least 2 WR's with the first four picks.  Look at Green Bay, they drafted all these young WR's over the past 2 years and they are beginning to show out.  It's time we do the same and find our #1 and future #2 WR.   Diggs should be one of the top 2 WR's next year with a draft pick being the other.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Sure.... everything points to Diggs best football being behind him at this point, and there's an obvious need to add to the position. But Bass needs to go. He just doesn't have it. There are so many good kickers in the NFL currently that don't even blink in that moment, and I had zero doubt that he would miss. Last week it looks like he had the yipps, and didn't expect it to miraculously go away.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

There’s never only one single reason why you lose a game. Diggs was also atrocious.

Diggs had a bad drop, no doubt.

But this was a historically inept defensive performance.  Do you know how many times in the past 25 years a defense forced fewer than 5 3rd down plays (as the Bills did on Sunday)?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

The media hate works when Diggs is playing well, sort of comes off like "I'm too focused and intense about winning for your nonsense." When Diggs is playing like a bum like he has these last 10 weeks it makes him seem more like a stubborn child though. 

I think Bass and Diggs were probably dinged up recently and just doing their best given their conditions. Bass did the right things if he faced the media. Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing I’d expect from Diggs. It’s easy to goof around with fans before a game. Facing questions after a game like that is much more difficult. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, london_bills said:

It was awful. It must breed resentment within Allen even though he's too classy to show it

I've played w guys like diggs before

it's less about being a good teammate than it is portraying yourself as a good teammate, typically when the going gets tough the true colors come out

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I've played w guys like diggs before

it's less about being a good teammate than it is portraying yourself as a good teammate, typically when the going gets tough the true colors come out

Yeah he's a total narcissist 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

i dig he doesn't want to talk to the media, deep down he knows how poorly he has played.

he's been a lesser player than shakir for the last month or so.  failed totally to get open vs the kc d (one on one) for the majority of the night and when he did get open he straight up drops a dime to the ground.

not a way to win play off games.

it's been put out there recently, he's a huge no show in all of our playoff losses.  at this point i think we are a better team without him, putting that money to work on another wr.

i remember someone was posting here that we woulda been way better off keeping the pick and taking the wr minni took.  i disagreed at the time, but oh my, how right they were.

Harsh but 100% truth. Ouch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Pete said:

https://nypost.com/2024/01/22/sports/stefon-diggs-declines-to-talk-to-media-after-huge-drop-in-bills-loss/                

Stefon Diggs let the game go through his hands.

And he then entered the offseason without saying a word.

Diggs, the Bills’ mercurial receiver, declined to talk to reporters after his big drop doomed Buffalo in their 27-24 loss to the Chiefs on Sunday, according to NFL Network.

Do not forget, the Bills tried to get Diggs going on first play on offense.  What did Diggs do?  He fumbled the first play of the game.

Diggs and Sherfield are the biggest reasons we lost IMO

Mike Evans had 12 catches for 147 yards and a TD.  That is what a real #1 WR does in the playoffs.

Diggs is no #1.  He is not even a #2 IMO.

Bills and Josh need legitimate WR 1 and 2 this offseason!

If we can unload Diggs and his contract somehow someway it will be a huge win for Buffalo. I was okay with the off-field drama because he was producing, but he’s been trash since mid-season. I also feel like Josh feels obligated to get him the ball to keep him happy. If Kincaid can develop into a top TE then they should run the offense through him and get a speedy deep threat #1 in the first round to take the top off the defense. Get rid of Gabe Davis and put Shakir in the 2 spot who’s turning into a stud. A true slot in the Beasley/Welker mold would benefit Josh greatly like it did in the past. The whole offense needs to be revamped other than the running game. Diggs is no longer the focal point and I don’t think he would accept a lesser role. Easier said than done, but this would be my ideal situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

He had no problem showing up Allen with his demonstrative arm flaming nonsense at the end of the Bengals game when he clearly believed Allen wasn’t performing.

He was brutal against KC and no over the top demonstrating this time ? He’s emotionally small and now his game has fallen off to the point it matches.

I never expected him to step up and take the questions after that game, he’s checked out and has been for some time.

I appreciate what he did to help Allen’s evolution but this is Josh’s team now, the sooner this relationship ends the better for the organization.

Edited by julian
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Pete said:

https://nypost.com/2024/01/22/sports/stefon-diggs-declines-to-talk-to-media-after-huge-drop-in-bills-loss/                

Stefon Diggs let the game go through his hands.

And he then entered the offseason without saying a word.

Diggs, the Bills’ mercurial receiver, declined to talk to reporters after his big drop doomed Buffalo in their 27-24 loss to the Chiefs on Sunday, according to NFL Network.

Do not forget, the Bills tried to get Diggs going on first play on offense.  What did Diggs do?  He fumbled the first play of the game.

Diggs and Sherfield are the biggest reasons we lost IMO

Mike Evans had 12 catches for 147 yards and a TD.  That is what a real #1 WR does in the playoffs.

Diggs is no #1.  He is not even a #2 IMO.

Bills and Josh need legitimate WR 1 and 2 this offseason!

Seriously, what is the point of this?  This is the same thing Diggs always does.  Why do people need to go out and force a narrative and make it into something more than it is?

The fan base is just the worst with this kind of stuff.  People handle things differently, we already know Diggs is not one to want to discuss the loss like this as he has never done it prior.  

He was an exceptional teammate all season...he was chosen as a captian...his teammates love him.  They accept how he processes things...fans need to get over this "you owe me something" mentality with players when they are facing their lowest lows and hard moments.  

Leave him be...let him process things how he deals with them, not the way you think he should deal with them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

If we can unload Diggs and his contract somehow someway it will be a huge win for Buffalo. I was okay with the off-field drama because he was producing, but he’s been trash since mid-season. I also feel like Josh feels obligated to get him the ball to keep him happy. If Kincaid can develop into a top TE then they should run the offense through him and get a speedy deep threat #1 in the first round to take the top off the defense. Get rid of Gabe Davis and put Shakir in the 2 spot who’s turning into a stud. A true slot in the Beasley/Welker mold would benefit Josh greatly like it did in the past. The whole offense needs to be revamped other than the running game. Diggs is no longer the focal point and I don’t think he would accept a lesser role. Easier said than done, but this would be my ideal situation. 

I had that same feeling for ssssoooo many throws over the past 9 games. And many times they picked up less than 10 yards or went incomplete.

I rewatched some of the game last night, and on the drive with the fake punt, JA went to Diggs on 3rd down but the ball was batted down at the LOS. Thing is Diggs was not past the 1st down marker, and two Chiefs were right there, so it seemed highly unlikely that even if he did make a catch that he was going to get the 1st down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Leadership = talking to media that has made up bull#### about you all year? What’s cowardly and pathetic is running to a message board to talk trash about another person that you don’t know and are clearly wrong about. 

Do you know him?  You might need to talk to someone, I fear you might have real delusions going on.  I'm not trying to be mean, I'm legitimately scared for you.  

5 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He didn’t say anything last year either. 

That is not true and you know it. It may have been behind closed doors, but he was pitching a fit, I guess you forgot his little tantrum at the beginning of training camp also🤦‍♂️

11 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Do you know him?  You might need to talk to someone, I fear you might have real delusions going on.  I'm not trying to be mean, I'm legitimately scared for you.  

I wouldn’t say I know him in the sense that we’re friends but Im around him maybe twice a month when he’s in town. A decent amount of other players as well.

Scared for me because I think it’s weird adults are obsessed with another person talking to the media. That’s not weird at all. 

9 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

That is not true and you know it. It may have been behind closed doors, but he was pitching a fit, I guess you forgot his little tantrum at the beginning of training camp also🤦‍♂️

Did you record him saying something as he was leaving the stadium? He didn’t say much of anything in the months after. There was a lot of speculation and people making stuff up. Do you have a link to what he said? 

31 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Seriously, what is the point of this?  This is the same thing Diggs always does.  Why do people need to go out and force a narrative and make it into something more than it is?

The fan base is just the worst with this kind of stuff.  People handle things differently, we already know Diggs is not one to want to discuss the loss like this as he has never done it prior.  

He was an exceptional teammate all season...he was chosen as a captian...his teammates love him.  They accept how he processes things...fans need to get over this "you owe me something" mentality with players when they are facing their lowest lows and hard moments.  

Leave him be...let him process things how he deals with them, not the way you think he should deal with them.

Because this is a Bills discussion forum. It doesn’t affect Diggs one bit. Do you think he ran to the forum to see what’s going on, if people are talking about him? If we talk about the draft are you worried it will affect who Beane Chooses? This fan base isn’t any different than any other fan base, especially those with teams that chronically under perform. Don’t like a topic move on to the next. The original post may be spot on or totally incorrect, but to say this doesn’t deserve to be discussed is ridiculous.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

The Diggs, Sherfield and Cook drops were brutal but having 5 defensive starters out (yes I'm including Von) was the reason we couldn't get a KC punter on the field.  I personally feel when Milano was lost, alot of air came out of that balloon. And other players are just incapable of raising their game to the level of their leader.

9 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I wouldn’t say I know him in the sense that we’re friends but Im around him maybe twice a month when he’s in town. A decent amount of other players as well.

Scared for me because I think it’s weird adults are obsessed with another person talking to the media. That’s not weird at all. 

Did you record him saying something as he was leaving the stadium? He didn’t say much of anything in the months after. There was a lot of speculation and people making stuff up. Do you have a link to what he said? 

“Diggs had skipped the first day of the team’s mandatory minicamp on June 13, sparking speculation of a wider rift with the team after an offseason filled with cryptic messages and hints of tensions.”

You are right, He wasn’t posting cryptic messages on Social Media, he wasn’t letting the narrative he wasn’t unhappy be a dark cloud over the summer. I must have imagined the whole thing🤦‍♂️

6 hours ago, boyst said:

Why do so many people not care about Diggs? Disrespect him? Think so poorly of him?

Go to a game. He is on the field warming up with as much passion as anyone. He talks to the crowd, he makes the game special for many people - especially children. The dude wears his heart on his sleeve for each game and remains a higher end talent at WR.

It's weird - especially because he is the only WR we have going into next season.

I don't care if Diggs talked or not. I think most of the season he was playing injured with foot and abdominal issues. His passion is still there but he is starting to lose a step. Bass kicks the ball wierd.  He sets up right behind the ball and less wide.  You see most of his kicks slice or fade right.  That extension was premature. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I only care about what these guys do on the football field, so long as they're not driving drunk or abusing anyone.  

The only thing I want to know from Stef is if he's nursing an injury of some kind.  I don't need any post-game off-season fluff.  

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just ask his brother?!? 

2 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Because this is a Bills discussion forum. It doesn’t affect Diggs one bit. Do you think he ran to the forum to see what’s going on, if people are talking about him? If we talk about the draft are you worried it will affect who Beane Chooses? This fan base isn’t any different than any other fan base, especially those with teams that chronically under perform. Don’t like a topic move on to the next. The original post may be spot on or totally incorrect, but to say this doesn’t deserve to be discussed is ridiculous.

I didnt say it cant be discussed, I asked what is the point of manufacturing narratives over and over like this fan base loves to do.  So I am directly asking what does one get out of doing that?  Does it somehow make them feel better to unjustly tear someone else down for doing what he has always done in terms of how he processes these bad losses?  

Why isn't anyone talking about the huge hits Diggs took over and over again the past few weeks to just get back up and keep doing his job and laying it all on the line?  Why aren't you talking about how most of the team didn't talk to the press, why is it only an issue with Diggs?  Why aren't you discussing how much the staff and players love Diggs and accept him for who he is and how he processes things?  

No instead people want to tear him down...and for what?  Because they think they are entitled to Diggs doing things in a different way than he has always handled them?  Because they cant for even a moment truly understand the level of sacrfice, commitment, and competitive drive it takes to reach the levels he has reached let alone understand the pain that comes with the feeling it was all for nothing?

Sorry...its just sad how as a society we feel the need to attack others to make ourselves feel better.  Like these losers giving Bass death threats...Bills Mafia is supposed to mean more than that, and be better than that.  

And you are right it is a message board...hence my right to come in and ask what is the point of it.

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Just ask his brother?!? 

Who cares what his brother says.  His brother been saying that BEFORE Digss signed his extension...and Diggs still signed an extension keeping him in Buffalo for rest of his best years of his career if not rest of his career. 

So again, who cares what his brother says

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It isn't about this specific instance. He had a bad game and wants to avoid the media, fine. I don't care. But Diggs has a whole history that you're just ignoring here... Tweeting his way out of Minnesota. Screaming at his QB on the sideline of a playoff game. Leaving that game early before the final locker room huddle instead of sticking around with his brothers. Going on a media tour where he disparaged the team in the following weeks after that loss. Making a public spectacle on day one of training camp.

All of that history means that his silence after this loss becomes part of the narrative around Diggs. A narrative that says he apparently has no problem publicly holding others accountable for their actions, but when it's time to hold himself accountable he disappears. It is not a good look in any way shape or form.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didnt say it cant be discussed, I asked what is the point of manufacturing narratives over and over like this fan base loves to do.  So I am directly asking what does one get out of doing that?  Does it somehow make them feel better to unjustly tear someone else down for doing what he has always done in terms of how he processes these bad losses?  

Why isn't anyone talking about the huge hits Diggs took over and over again the past few weeks to just get back up and keep doing his job and laying it all on the line?  Why aren't you talking about how most of the team didn't talk to the press, why is it only an issue with Diggs?  Why aren't you discussing how much the staff and players love Diggs and accept him for who he is and how he processes things?  

No instead people want to tear him down...and for what?  Because they think they are entitled to Diggs doing things in a different way than he has always handled them?  Because they cant for even a moment truly understand the level of sacrfice, commitment, and competitive drive it takes to reach the levels he has reached let alone understand the pain that comes with the feeling it was all for nothing?

Sorry...its just sad how as a society we feel the need to attack others to make ourselves feel better.  Like these losers giving Bass death threats...Bills Mafia is supposed to mean more than that, and be better than that.  

And you are right it is a message board...hence my right to come in and ask what is the point of it.

Who cares what his brother says.  His brother been saying that BEFORE Digss signed his extension...and Diggs still signed an extension keeping him in Buffalo for rest of his best years of his career if not rest of his career. 

If you don't think that his brother had his full support when he was running his mouth, that is your prerogative. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It isn't about this specific instance. He had a bad game and wants to avoid the media, fine. I don't care. But Diggs has a whole history that you're just ignoring here... Tweeting his way out of Minnesota. Screaming at his QB on the sideline of a playoff game. Leaving that game early before the final locker room huddle instead of sticking around with his brothers. Going on a media tour where he disparaged the team in the following weeks after that loss. Making a public spectacle on day one of training camp.

All of that history means that his silence after this loss becomes part of the narrative around Diggs. A narrative that says he apparently has no problem publicly holding others accountable for their actions, but when it's time to hold himself accountable he disappears. It is not a good look in any way shape or form.

When has Diggs ever spoke to the media after a playoff loss?  People are too hung up on Minnesota IMHO and try really hard to apply those perceptions to him here.  

For example, he didn't go on a media tour and just relentlessly disparage the team.  He talked openly and honestly while keeping everything about the issue he had in house at the same time.  He never came out and threw anyone under the bus no matter how many times people try and act like he did.  

And this whole "screaming at his QB" on the sideline thing is ridiculous too.  This happens every week with my closest friends in pickup basketball at a park, and we still go get lunch after and everything is all good.  Players get into heated discussions, even scuffles with each other in practice, meetings, games, etc all the time.  But only because it was Diggs it got way blown out of proportion when it was not even that big of a deal and minor compared to most times this happens with players.  

People need to accept Diggs for who he is rather than make him a villain for just being himself.  He has been nothing but a model teammate all season, he stood by his team even in the struggles this year, he owned his captain role, his teammates and coaches love him.  The narrative some people want to create just isn;t there, and its sad to see the Bills fan always looking for a reason to turn on him rather than understand him.  

So no disrespect Happy, I highly respect you as a poster, but I hard disagree with this recollection being more how people CHOOSE to see him vs how things really happened and how he has really been since being a Buffalo Bill.  

6 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Leadership = talking to media that has made up bull#### about you all year? What’s cowardly and pathetic is running to a message board to talk trash about another person that you don’t know and are clearly wrong about. 

cowardly response. Diggs is a coward and doesnt deserve a C.

5 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

So, to be clear, your beef with Diggs is his yardage production slipped and he didn’t talk to the media?

and missed the biggest catch opportunity of his career in the biggest game. He's not a big game player.

4 hours ago, Beast said:

The Bills really got minimal production from their top 2 WR’s the second half of the season.

And people want to keep Joe Brady and not consider anyone else for coordinator.

OK.

No one better is available.

Don't know what's up with Diggs so can only speculate. I would find it hard to believe that his physical ability has deteriorated so suddenly. So either he has been dealing with some sort of injury or maybe he's figured out that there is more to life than football, especially if you're rich. The off the wall personality stuff doesn't really concern me. Many very good WRs are flakes. 

11 minutes ago, Peter said:

If you don't think that his brother had his full support when he was running his mouth, that is your prerogative. 

Actually sounds more like your narrative and your biased agenda towards an apparent dislike of Diggs.  You literally are now just making up that Stefon was involved despite literally no evidence of that on or off the field.  

Again...what do you get out of just making up narratives to tear people down?  I mean his brother tweeted it out while Stefon was STILL ON THE FIELD.  But I guess in your mind it makes more sense that him and his brother got together with a premeditated plan for Treyvon to tweet these pre planned things out that him and Stef came up with if there was ever a moment where the Bills were upset in a loss.  Somehow this makes more sense to you than his brother just spouting off his own thoughts live in the game.  

Its amazing to me how little actual logic is considered when people make up these narratives. 

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The point is it should be discussed, but if someone says lies or gives misinformation it too should be called out. But Diggs past or future contracts or past or current behavior doesn’t get him a pass for any actions or behavior. And to think as some here try to imply, us in this forum discussing his behavior will somehow hurt his feelings, sorry that has zero effect on how he feels about the Bills.

I hope he gets back to where he was, I don’t know if he was injured in some way, it certainly looked like it. But with his contract the Bills need better production, and mentally I think he needs to be able to provide it to be happy with himself and the team. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bass was a perfect 9/9 in his career when tied or trailing by 3 points or less with less than 2 minutes left or OT.

Let that marinate.

Well he sure ain't that anymore. You're good until you aren't. And on top of that McD doesn't even trust him anymore outside of 50 yards. That speaks volumes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.