Should the season be 18 weeks long?

Is the 18 week NFL season too long?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Is the 18 week NFL season too long?

I know there is a school of thought that says today’s NFL players are soft.  That issue aside, is the season of 18 weeks too long?

There seem to be far more injuries and player substitutions. The substitutions include vets joining playoff teams from the couch.  

This does not include dragging the playoffs into the teeth of the winter for Northern climate teams.

what do you think?

If they did it would have to go longer. They don't want to mess with NCAA kickoff. They should also consider 2 bye weeks and 8 teams in the playoffs if they start with this mess.

Top two seeds get a bye. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I know there is a school of thought that says today’s NFL players are soft.  That issue aside, is the season of 18 weeks too long?

There seem to be far more injuries and player substitutions. The substitutions include vets joining playoff teams from the couch.  

This does not include dragging the playoffs into the teeth of the winter for Northern climate teams.

what do you think?

I absolutely think it's too long.  16 games is brutal on the players.  I also think they should cut out Thursday games.  They're brutal too.

But the NFL is all about profit and player safety and well-being rank low and when it comes down to it, the NFLPA is diverted by $$ as well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Yes. 9 home and 9 road games. This going back and forth between the AFC and NFC on who gets the 9th home game is dumb. Also, reduce the preseason as well. Maybe just 2 games. The starters barely play in them anyway if at all.

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

If they did it would have to go longer. They don't want to mess with NCAA kickoff. They should also consider 2 bye weeks and 8 teams in the playoffs if they start with this mess.

Top two seeds get a bye. 

I am not in favor of adding an 18th game.  I was against 17.  That said, if the did go to 18, I agree with your suggestions.

• Like (+1) 1

Absolutely, and by a lot, imo.

Not only is it physically grueling, but you can only psyche yourself up to beat the begeesus out of yourself so many times before the burnout becomes real. So we're seeing a lot of games with a lot of checked out players, which waters down the fans viewing experience as well.

You think about it and realize they start playing in August and keep going right through January and into February and that is 6 months of football. Trying to maintain that level of intensity and execution for a half a year is not realistic and isn't good for anybody except the guys making money off it.

IMO there should (and will be) 25+ games.with an extra bye week

There will need to be more games when Interntional teams are added. 

Make the roster 100+ and the season end with a best of 3 games Super Bowl held in April  or May at the teams home stadiums (higher seed gets 3rd if necessary).

Why should a team like Buffalo have to go though playoffs in artic conditions and play SB in tropics or inside?

Hold back 50% of tickets for lottery for STHs of both teams [25% each team] so Kardashians can still get their fluff seats and NFL can cash in. 

Similar to NBA players would NEED to be rested to make the entire season. This year showed that there is talent at QB that is never realized when a single player gets all starts. 

• Vomit 2

2 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The results on this are interesting to me.  After the first year the extra game was added I made a similar post/complaint about it being meaningless to add an extra regular season game and I got flamed for it on here

Someone got flamed after posting on the Stadium Wall?  Quelle surprise!

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gman10 said:

What about adding more rest weeks but same amount of games?

This makes some sense to me.  Adding another game does not.  I think the league is pushing the practical limit of the physical pounding that teams can take with a 17 game season and then four more games culminating in the Super Bowl.  The game at the end of the season starts to become less a matter of skill sets, game planning and execution and more a matter of luck at who can stay the healthiest.  That's not what I want at least.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

This makes some sense to me.  Adding another game does not.  I think the league is pushing the practical limit of the physical pounding that teams can take with a 17 game season and then four more games culminating in the Super Bowl.  The game at the end of the season starts to become less a matter of skill sets, game planning and execution and more a matter of luck at who can stay the healthiest.  That's not what I want at least.

Why not 3 rest weeks a year. Every 5 games ? 

1 hour ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Should be 12 games all within Greyhound bus range.

I'd love to see us switch divisions with Baltimore.  It would make more sense to be with Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Cincy.  All several hours apart.  

The 17th week added nothing but profits for the owners essentially, an 18th week will only accomplish more of the same at the expense of players health and longevity.  16 games was frankly perfect, but greed reared its ugly head yet again…, now nearly half the league is in the playoffs? It just dilutes the product, imo only teams that win their divisions should be allowed in the postseason. 

Not sure about the extra game, but I do believe there should be a bye week between the season and playoffs.  

If they did add an extra game, there should be two bye weeks and no preseason 

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Not sure about the extra game, but I do believe there should be a bye week between the season and playoffs.  

If they did add an extra game, there should be two bye weeks and no preseason 

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to add a second bye week with the 17 game season. It could be used to help with travel to international games. 8 home, 8 away, 1 neutral seems fair. That would give the NFL 16 neutral site games a year. They all would not have to be in foreign countries. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The 17th week added nothing but profits for the owners essentially, an 18th week will only accomplish more of the same at the expense of players health and longevity.  16 games was frankly perfect, but greed reared its ugly head yet again…, now nearly half the league is in the playoffs? It just dilutes the product, imo only teams that win their divisions should be allowed in the postseason. 

League talked about having longer season with more byes but also players being limited to certain number of games (sounds like Baseball) but NFLPA objected to it for players would not get paid each week whether they played or not.   It is not just about NFL greed.

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The problem is the weather or it might even be longer. I bet the owners are chomping at the bit for a 20 game schedule 

I think they are already playing thru the worst weather month of the year..........which is January for Buffalo and much of the northeast where there are still open air stadiums.     And the Bills stadium will be the last NFL stadium built without a dome unless they put a team in San Diego again.    So weather isn't an issue any longer.

IMO no matter what they do they need more byes but not necessarily more games played by players.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

League talked about having longer season with more byes but also players being limited to certain number of games (sounds like Baseball) but NFLPA objected to it for players would not get paid each week whether they played or not.   It is not just about NFL greed.

Warm weather South and west teams get most of Superbowls.  Portion of each Superbowl should go into NFL fund to improve stadiums - turf, cameras and roofs.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I absolutely think it's too long.  16 games is brutal on the players.  I also think they should cut out Thursday games.  They're brutal too.

But the NFL is all about profit and player safety and well-being rank low and when it comes down to it, the NFLPA is diverted by $$ as well.

If they had 18 games + 2 byes… then you could work out a schedule where all teams are given a bye before playing their Thursday night game … ( limit each  team to  1 Thursday game per year …

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Absolutely, and by a lot, imo.

Not only is it physically grueling, but you can only psyche yourself up to beat the begeesus out of yourself so many times before the burnout becomes real. So we're seeing a lot of games with a lot of checked out players, which waters down the fans viewing experience as well.

You think about it and realize they start playing in August and keep going right through January and into February and that is 6 months of football. Trying to maintain that level of intensity and execution for a half a year is not realistic and isn't good for anybody except the guys making money off it.

I think Jax is a prime example of that, they ran out of steam ,much like the collapse of the Eagles.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Would t be a bad idea to add a second bye week with the 17 game season. It could be used to help with travel to international games. 8 home, 8 away, 1 neutral seems fair. That would give the NFL 16 neutral site games a year. They all would not have to be in foreign countries. 

I like this way better than my idea.  Use the second bye week to compensate for International and Thursday night games.  Wave 1 of bye weeks are weeks 5-9 with Wave 2 being weeks 10-15.  Yes, there might be less overall games those weeks because of the condensed bye weeks, but honestly, most fans will watch any game.  

I'd be down with that.  Then, if the NFL really wants 8 teams in the playoffs, eliminate the first round bye, but give everyone a week off between the season and playoffs.

You could easily sell it as player safety, but then the league can schedule games whenever they want.  Win win to me

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes it is,  

agree to disagree, it was the NFL that started the 17th and now the 18th chatter, it is driven by greed, hell, not one of the owners needs money, they got more thousand dollar bills than they have skin cells…, 😂

GO BILLS!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.