Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

10 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

For me, I'm happy this decision was made.  For others who now can't attend at the new time, there is sadness.

But I think it was the right thing to do.  Curious about refunds since they moved it...

I would think they'll have to provide refunds if people can't attend at the new time.

They had to move the game as soon as they made the call to institute a driving ban.  You can have a State of Emergency as a funding tool for extra resources without a driving ban, but as soon as you put in a driving ban you can't say "Oh - except for you game-going fans"

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Bad taste in music.

Suspect taste in punters.

Great taste in linebackers.

Inverse quality of posting product

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 2

Look, I don't think anyone is jumping up and down with glee over the idea that we are playing a day later and getting potentially one less day of rest.

If I seem to prefer the delay it's because I don't want a flukey slip and slide in an empty stadium

Schools were already off. A lot of businesses were shut down and will continue to be with the weather.

Staying in the same place and moving one day, if anything, keeps away Steelers fans and makes our advantage better 

Compared to traveling last minute to a neutral site this seems like the least worst option 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

I would think they'll have to provide refunds if people can't attend at the new time.

They had to move the game as soon as they made the call to institute a driving ban.  You can have a State of Emergency as a funding tool for extra resources without a driving ban, but as soon as you put in a driving ban you can't say "Oh - except for you game-going fans"

So far I think it's only a ban for commercial trucks on the Thruway.  The rest was just a recommendation to avoid unnecessary travel.  But yeah the mixed messaging of that recommendation along with holding the game as scheduled was not a good look.

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm sorry. 😔

Fortunately I checked first to determine that you weren't the one telling folks "where there's a will, there's a way" so you don't deserve any snark.

No but I was let people decide what they want to do.

Everyone entrenched to say no way we should have the game, the weather is so bad, etc etc... none of them were going to the game.

How can someone have such an entrenched opinion on something they were not going to participate in or be a part of joining?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

No. Because cold doesn't affect road travel or TV cameras 

Are you sure about that last?  Seems to me I read something about needing special TV cameras for extreme cold conditions - though weather in the low teens might not qualify as that cold, despite the scary wind chill.

But yeah, the road conditions are not expected to be bad at all.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Everyone entrenched to say no way we should have the game, the weather is so bad, etc etc... none of them were going to the game.

How can someone have such an entrenched opinion on something they were not going to participate in or be a part of joining?

Exactly.  I decided to skip it if it was Sunday, and I was 100% comfortable with that choice.  Now that it's moved to Monday I can and will attend and I'm comfortable with that choice too.

For those who had their ability to choose taken from them by this reschedule - again I'm sorry.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

Easy.  How about if Grandpa needs medical attention but all emergency services are out assisting stranded morons?

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Id be willing to wager money that the game gets rescheduled.  If anyone wants to place a friendly small wager let me know. 

Looking at the NOAA hourly forecast it looks like about 8 inches of snow from 1 am Sunday to kickoff. And right at kickoff the band becomes more intense dropping another 8 inches from 1pm to 4 pm. Couple that with 30 mph winds and I don't have much optimism about the game being played Sunday. 

I might be a newbie around here but I cleaned up on this bet. Thanks for all your donations.

I am not sure why people are whining.  This is actually good for the Bills.  Yes, one less day of rest for the next game, but their chances of winning are much better in normal game conditions vs. heavy wind and snow which would tend to equalize the teams and create randomness that changes the outcome.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

For me, I'm happy this decision was made.  For others who now can't attend at the new time, there is sadness.

But I think it was the right thing to do.  Curious about refunds since they moved it...

I don't think they'll do refunds.  If it was moved to a different city, probably.  

Just now, Just Jack said:

I don't think they'll do refunds.  If it was moved to a different city, probably.  

When concerts get rescheduled, they say original tickets will be honored, refunds will be handled at point of origin.

3 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

You were saying... looking like 8" and they canceled the game !

You were wrong then, are wrong now and will probably also be wrong tomorrow.

Congrats on your self-absorbed cluelessness.

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

For the record, I wasn't opining about move the game or don't.

I do think people charged with public safety have to make decisions about driving bans and so forth based on whether a driving ban is needed to allow road clearance and emergency service to operate.  It's only logical that you can't impose a driving ban and then say "oh yeah, except for the 70,000 people going to the Bills Steelers game and the staff supporting that".  So once the driving ban is decided upon, the game has to move, that's only logical.

I don't think it's fair if someone in my family needs an ambulance and can't get one because the roads are all ***** up with Joe Sixpack and his buddies who slid into other vehicles and blocked the intersections or just snarled up the streets and made snow clearance impossible until the stopped cars get towed, painstakingly car by car.

And it may be anecdotal and inaccurate, but it seems as though the "freedom to" crowd is not typically lined up to waive their share of public safety services like EMS, hospitals, police, fire and rescue.

6 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Easy.  How about if Grandpa needs medical attention but all emergency services are out assisting stranded morons?

Or simply can't get through because all the drivers who were out and about crashed or stalled and blocked roads.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

So what's the weather look like for Monday? Low 20s and still wind

Just updated on NOAA:

M.L.King Day: A 40 percent chance of snow showers before 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 19. Southwest wind between 16 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.

Monday Night: Snow showers likely after 7pm. Cloudy, with a low around 13. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Basically, not as warm as 20s - 19 degrees is the high - but like half the wind and no forecast for heavy snow during the game.

3 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Imagine the outrage if we HAD a dome stadium and they still rescheduled lol. 

They would have canceled.  The rationale for canceling is the driving ban.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Just updated on NOAA:

M.L.King Day: A 40 percent chance of snow showers before 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 19. Southwest wind between 16 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.

Monday Night: Snow showers likely after 7pm. Cloudy, with a low around 13. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Basically, not as warm as 20s - 19 degrees is the high - but like half the wind and no forecast for heavy snow during the game.

And 24 more hours for clearing the roads

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Are you sure about that last?  Seems to me I read something about needing special TV cameras for extreme cold conditions - though weather in the low teens might not qualify as that cold, despite the scary wind chill.

But yeah, the road conditions are not expected to be bad at all.

No I'm not but overall I think the points stands: the KC game is uncomfortable. Sunday in Buffalo looks unwatchable at present 

10 minutes ago, Simon said:

You were wrong then, are wrong now and will probably also be wrong tomorrow.

Congrats on your self-absorbed cluelessness.

Why are you still so angry ? Do you need a glass of milk?

2 hours ago, Simon said:

fwiw, now that we're about 24hrs out, it looks a bit less impactful than it has the last couple days.

NWS leaning toward a solution that has the heaviest band oscillating North of Orchard Park during the earlier part of Sunday.

Never any guarantees with lake effect, but a step in the right direction.

WRONG

1 minute ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Why are you still so angry ? Do you need a glass of milk?

You being clueless about weather doesn't make me the least bit angry.

But you should probably stop with the stalking.

3 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

WRONG

Not at all

30 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Emergency services still puts priority over health emergency.

• Shocked 1

Sucks that some of you won't be able to go.  I'm a 20 year STH who likely couldn't have made it Sunday but can definitely make it Monday... better for some, worse for others, hopefully the Bills win and we get to do it again next weekend

4 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

People know the risks. If you aren’t prepared for the risks, then It is what it is. Vikings sailed across the great oceans into the unknown. It’s amazing how scared people have become compared to human history. We have become pandas. 

13 hours ago, BrettFavre said:

If the time or location of the game changes, those bets will void unfortunately. 

So Steelers fans who weren't planning on attending are just supposed to up and go out of spite over a silly barb by a hometown Governor? And they'll be just fine traveling through the snowbelt?

At the same time, plenty of people here are acting as if Bills fans traveling to the game will be on the Great Siberian Ice March. Slight hysterical double standard in play.

Strangely enough, the bets haven’t been voided.

The funny thing is the storm is supposed to go through Sunday, Sunday night, and even into Monday! How much and where remains to be seen.  I guess this is why they are talking about even going to Tuesday.

I still can't believe we didn't build a dome, downtown.

Though I did PREDICT we would not, Buffalo being Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Line is back up TO BUF -10 (was -9 last night on Draftkings)

I got 9.5. I’m wondering if they will cancel it tomorrow at 1 since there will be no kickoff at the scheduled time. Probably.

25 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The funny thing is the storm is supposed to go through Sunday, Sunday night, and even into Monday! How much and where remains to be seen.  I guess this is why they are talking about even going to Tuesday.

What difference would it make. A travel ban is a travel ban.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

A dome downtown is probably going to cost a half a billion dollars more after all infrastructure costs

We have people complaining about how much money our stadium cost now.. throw an extra 500 million dollars and there will be more outrage

Let alone all the stadium studies showed the economic impact of a dome stadium versus a open-air is nothing 

And a dome wouldn't have this game being played tomorrow either

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo expected snow totals upped to near 30" now.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

How would a dome help when this has nothing to do with playing in these conditions?

Literally the only thing that would help is if you built a dome over WNY.

Edited by Big Turk

4 hours ago, Milanos Milano said:

They take the fun out of everything. They are so afraid of death they will do everything they can to ruin the experience that comes along with brushing up against it. 

Russian roulette is still an option. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.