Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Perhaps. 

If I tell you the the teams have been told it’s status quo for the 1 pm game.

or

teams have been told it’s status quo for the 1 pm games…

Which makes you more certain?

Im not sure the league wants to draw attention to a State of Emergency being usurped for a football game, God forbid anything tragic were to happen as a result. 

it's too late to change anything to move the game out of buffalo.

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Monday is a Holiday. I cannot imagine a more opportune solution. Play the game at 1pm the next day. Problem solved. 

The NFL has mastered the weather in a clever ploy to expand coverage into one more holiday viewing window. This will become like the Thanksgiving Day games before you know it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

this entire period from now until mid-march is going to be like this...

Forecast 3-4 days out from an event: cloudy, 34 degrees

Forecast a day or two out from the event: WINTER STORM WARNING! 2-3 feet of snow possible, along with blizzard conditions, state of emergency, travel bans

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

easiest solution if something has to be done is play the game Monday afternoon/evening

4:00 PM kickoff Monday could work. MNF double header. 

It’s kind of a great thing with the holiday.  If it’s a hit on TV, look for the cash pigs that are the NFL to add an extra playoff game (no more byes) and use Monday as the way to get all of the games in.  3 games on Saturday, 3 on Sunday 2 on Monday.  It’s an NFL weekend. 

8 minutes ago, Negan said:

Patrick Hammer's report with Sal said not dibiltating wind but could be somewhat heavy snow, just all depends where the band sets up.

Checking the hourly on Wunderground for OP, looks like 80% chance of snow at game time right now, with 25 mph winds.

That is ... debilitating. NWS says a "blizzard" needs 35 mph winds, so not quite there, but really close.

But of course it is so localized that you never really know till morning.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

the last couple of winters especially the lake effect snows are way further north than before...The supposed "snow towns" in Southern Erie county basically don't get snow all winter anymore.

I say that as an annoyed "ski country" resident who looks forward to some excitement in winter and usually has a barely covered yard while 5 minutes north there's 2 feet... LOL

Edited by TheFunPolice

9 minutes ago, Governor said:

I think tomorrow morning would be too late. We have a few hours here.

pittsburgh has their equipment already en route, their staff arriving tomorrow morning at the latest to prep everything.

further, the coordination with law enforcement/security, logistics, hotel, etc would be incredible to change unless to a major MAJOR market. i am not sure cleveland could quickly host the game - hotels are an issue. i've spent years in supply chain and logistics - to get everything approved and organized is the biggest obstacle.

everyone is cheering this game for a terrible blizzard like they have a vested interest in either:

a) bad weather event

b) being right and doubling down on the weather

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

this entire period from now until mid-march is going to be like this...

Forecast 3-4 days out from an event: cloudy, 34 degrees

Forecast a day or two out from the event: WINTER STORM WARNING! 2-3 feet of snow possible, along with blizzard conditions, state of emergency, travel bans

This storm has been projected for at least 5 days.

13 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It’s kind of a great thing with the holiday.  If it’s a hit on TV, look for the cash pigs that are the NFL to add an extra playoff game (no more byes) and use Monday as the way to get all of the games in.  3 games on Saturday, 3 on Sunday 2 on Monday.  It’s an NFL weekend. 

Or it could be as easy as purposefully scheduling 2 games a day. Maximize viewership.

Now, MLK might be one of the lesser used holidays outside of the Federal Government, but a lot of schools and financial institutions are closed. I can see it being a thing.

I have my first one off in...a decade (I think) so for me its win win. I am sure there are plenty of people who will hate it.

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Cowherd just said 65mph winds. Where's that coming from?

He's probably quoting the wind warning for Saturday

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM EST SUNDAY... WHAT...Southeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 50 mph tonight, becoming southwest 30 to 40 mph with gusts up to 65 mph Saturday and Saturday night.

• Thank you (+1) 1

So the other day I decided that this looked like a ton of fun and I was going to look into grabbing a ticket online and coming up from Western PA.

We were having a major wind event here while I was monkeying around on the computer looking at different sites for the ticket I wanted (first couple rows of the upper deck, between the 40's) and I hear/feel this big crash.

Go to the window, look outside and the wind has knocked down a small tree, which of course has landed directly on my truck and broken the windshield. :doh:

image.thumb.png.0f3751536ac9b47b579c976bcad8993c.png

• Shocked 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.