Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

So they're replacing Belichick with a guy in Meyo that only coached and played under Belichick? and they are expecting new things to happen? I guess it's possible depending who he brings in as his OC but tbh I think I would have looked elsewhere especially when the team's weakness was on offense. 

Edited by The Jokeman

25 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Well he’ll get a shot because he’ll have the opportunity to get a franchise QB and that kid is going to determine his success as a HC. 

Mayo needs to hire a young relatable OC for his new QB. Him being a defensive guy goes against the trend but you can still be successful as a former DC if you get the guy 

Best thing he can do is retain Bill O'Brien, imo. I'm not a huge BOB fan but he knows how to run an offense and Bailey Zappe loves him and seemed to thrive under him. As did Watson in Houston.

So obviously, I hope BOB takes a job somewhere else. Maybe join Kiffin's staff in Bama.

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Best thing he can do is retain Bill O'Brien, imo. I'm not a huge BOB fan but he knows how to run an offense and Bailey Zappe loves him and seemed to thrive under him. As did Watson in Houston.

So obviously, I hope BOB takes a job somewhere else. Maybe join Kiffin's staff in Bama.

I wouldn’t say zappe thrived.  Decent back up I guess.

i do think O’Brien is a good OC limited by bad qbs and lack of playmakers, 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I wouldn’t say zappe thrived.  Decent back up I guess.

i do think O’Brien is a good OC limited by bad qbs and lack of playmakers, 

Thrived for a QB of Zappe's level, I should have said.

Kinda like saying "She's my hottest cousin".

• Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

So they're replacing Belichick with a guy in Meyo that only coached and played under Belichick? and they are expecting new things to happen? I guess it's possible depending who he brings in as his OC but tbh I think I would have looked elsewhere especially when the team's weakness was on offense. 

I love this hire as a Bills fan.

Not saying Mayo isn't a brilliant guy with potential to be a great football head coach. But...I mean, come on. The Patriots are a mess and they needed to completely clean house and start from scratch. This isn't doing that.

34 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Cheats are going to finish last in the afc East again next year. That hire was jetsy.

Maybe. Don't underestimate the Jets to do Jets things. They are the Kings of suckage after all.

I think one of the more interesting things about the Mayo promotion is there is a good chance a high percentage of assistant coaches as well as position coaches are retained. Would make it harder on Belichick to round out his own coaching staff should be land a new HC job.

In Mayo.. NE hires a thinly experienced, defensive mind to try and rebuild a club with mostly offensive problems.

I can't imagine they conducted many (if any) interviews. Where's the due diligence?

What are their plans at GM? That may be the bigger nut here. Belichick ran them into the ground. They need someone with the philosophy:

You've got to have a franchise quarterback.

--Brandon Beane, 2018

With Mayo, I think the Patriots are going to begin a drought. Maybe a solid GM pick will prevent that. 

This Mayo hire is a big W for the Bills... their offense will continue to be a handicap. All this guy knows is the Belichick Way and has zero experience with offensive football. 

Now we are going to see who is going to be the GM of this s-show... that will tell us a lot. If it is an uninspiring hire we may have TWO division rivals with severe self-inflicted limitations and a third with big contract decisions coming up and I love it!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

Who cares? It hits the minority rule on all aspects which is why that interview process has your view of required candidates. 

Everyone knew it was going to be him prior to Vrabel. Both played for the culture of winning at that club. They were always hiring one of their guys, so why bother interviewing?

Actually, I didn't know it would be Mayo, once Vrabel became available.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I love this hire as a Bills fan.

Not saying Mayo isn't a brilliant guy with potential to be a great football head coach. But...I mean, come on. The Patriots are a mess and they needed to completely clean house and start from scratch. This isn't doing that.

They promoted a guy from a defense that finished 7th despite playing with one of the worst offenses in the nfl.

are they more of a mess than the Texans were last year? If they hit on a qb and get any type of talent on offense, that could be a quicker turnaround that you think. 

Maybe Mayo sucks (I hate real Mayo).  But I think Bills fans are underestimating how terrible of a GM Belichick was. Any guy with a pulse will upgrade them. And I won’t be shocked if McDaniels because the best qb out of this draft. 

easily the worst team in the division now, but all things considered, they are in a better spot than like the drought bills (never high picks because they were always 7-9).

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think one of the more interesting things about the Mayo promotion is there is a good chance a high percentage of assistant coaches as well as position coaches are retained. Would make it harder on Belichick to round out his own coaching staff should be land a new HC job.

You would think a lot of coaches would come work under under BB. Kinda of like what Saban used to do. 

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They promoted a guy from a defense that finished 7th despite playing with one of the worst offenses in the nfl.

are they more of a mess than the Texans were last year? If they hit on a qb and get any type of talent on offense, that could be a quicker turnaround that you think. 

Maybe Mayo sucks (I hate real Mayo).  But I think Bills fans are underestimating how terrible of a GM Belichick was. Any guy with a pulse will upgrade them. And I won’t be shocked if McDaniels because the best qb out of this draft. 

easily the worst team in the division now, but all things considered, they are in a better spot than like the drought bills (never high picks because they were always 7-9).

You would think a lot of coaches would come work under under BB. Kinda of like what Saban used to do. 

Issue wouldn't be who would work for him...issue more of who he trusts to bring in. There's a reason he always brings people back after they fail elsewhere. Smaller circle.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, 947 said:

I hadn't thought about it, but the Panthers job is about as undesirable of an NFL head coaching gig as there's ever been in the league.

- #1 overall pick QB who is way undersized and utterly terrible as a rookie.

- No first round pick this year, plus other pick traded away.

- Not much talent anywhere on the roster. No FAs are coming there.

- The last head coach was fired a few games into his tenure.

Surely somebody will take it, but Damn.

Maybe David Culley has the itch to coach again.  

Commanders got their guy to run the entire football ops.

Adam Schefter on X: "Adam Peters was the first major front office hire made by 49ers GM John Lynch when he was hired in 2017. Now Peters becomes the first major front office hire made by Commanders owner Josh Harris as Washington enters a new era." / X (twitter.com)

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

BOB is a backstabbing clown and Mayo's skids will be greased from day one if he keeps him.

That’s pretty valid too. I think he might lean towards a veteran OC but there are so many young innovative offensive coaches who could do awesome things with McDaniels. 

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Commanders got their guy to run the entire football ops.

Adam Schefter on X: "Adam Peters was the first major front office hire made by 49ers GM John Lynch when he was hired in 2017. Now Peters becomes the first major front office hire made by Commanders owner Josh Harris as Washington enters a new era." / X (twitter.com)

Belichick incoming?   Peters' 1st NFL job was five years with the Patriots.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Belichick incoming?   Peters' 1st NFL job was five years with the Patriots.  

Bill should hold tight to see if Dallas or Philly opens up. Either one could fire the coach if they lose.

Dallas would be the best job open. Loaded roster, rich owner who loves to spend, weak division, weak conference. 

Raiders is, IMO, the worst. Loaded division with Reid/Mahomes, Sean Payton, Justin Herbert then the Raiders, who can be plucky and tough and whatever but will always be competing for the wild card round. 

Atlanta would also be a great spot, maybe better than Dallas. You can be 5-10 and still in the hunt for that division. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

18 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Bill should hold tight to see if Dallas or Philly opens up. Either one could fire the coach if they lose.

Dallas would be the best job open. Loaded roster, rich owner who loves to spend, weak division, weak conference. 

Raiders is, IMO, the worst. Loaded division with Reid/Mahomes, Sean Payton, Justin Herbert then the Raiders, who can be plucky and tough and whatever but will always be competing for the wild card round. 

Atlanta would also be a great spot, maybe better than Dallas. You can be 5-10 and still in the hunt for that division. 

The AFC West is far from loaded. One of the worst divisions in football. Atlanta would be a good gig if you had a qb. 

the chargers makes the most sense. Cali is amazing if you can afford it. Plus, he can’t screw up the offense there.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It was obviously the plan all along. They wanted to keep Mayo last year when he was getting interview requests so they included this clause in the contract. He is very highly rated as a defensive brain and was an excellent player but I watched Mangini on Cowherd yesterday and he made a very good point. He has only ever played and coached in New England under Bill Belichick. While he is no doubt his own personality and his own man, at the same time you have to question has he seen enough of other approaches to really change the way things run in New England? And what are they doing about GM? They presumably need to hire a General Manager to run personnel for him. 

The Bills got criticised by some for giving a first time Head Coach in McDermott power over the draft in year 1 and then power to handpick his own GM right after that draft. But McDermott at least had a track record of some success in a coordinator position and had been on the staff of two successful franchises in Philadelphia and Carolina who had made Superbowls so had seen the way good organisations run and operate. While Mayo saw that as a player, he has no track record as a fully blown DC. He wasn't even de-facto DC as he shared that with Belichick's son and he has not been with the Patriots as a coach for any meaningful success. Two one and done playoff runs is all he has seen. Now he gets the HC job by default and presumably a say in who his GM is. It is going to be an internal candidate presumably because he doesn't know anyone external!!

Nah you're over thinking this, this is the Belichick coaching tree we're talking about here.

65975232-%EB%8B%A8%ED%92%8D-%ED%99%98%EA

• Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I can't see Bill going to Dallas. He and Jerry would be like mixing gasoline and fire. Jerry's ego is bigger than the size of Texas. I can't imagine Bill would want him meddling on the football side of things as he would want to do things his own way. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He can sign his son.  He was canned before Mayo given job so they could not blame him.

48 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The AFC West is far from loaded. One of the worst divisions in football. Atlanta would be a good gig if you had a qb. 

the chargers makes the most sense. Cali is amazing if you can afford it. Plus, he can’t screw up the offense there.

Atlanta has a ton of offensive skill players and the #8 overall pick this year. Plus a pathetic division. 

Imagine having a top 10 pick but also being in the playoff hunt in week 17 for a division title!

That would be my destination. Good owner also who seems pretty hands off and willing to spend. 

Anything in the AFC is brutal. Burrow will be back, and now we know the Browns are legitimately good. Chiefs will get weapons for Mahomes. Rodgers will be healthy, and the Jets won 7 without him. Anything could happen but the AFC will be a real grind.

NFC? There's like 3-4 good teams a lot of meh. If  the goal is to get to Super Bowls the road is way easier in the NFC. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Atlanta has a ton of offensive skill players and the #8 overall pick this year. Plus a pathetic division. 

Imagine having a top 10 pick but also being in the playoff hunt in week 17 for a division title!

That would be my destination. Good owner also who seems pretty hands off and willing to spend. 

Anything in the AFC is brutal. Burrow will be back, and now we know the Browns are legitimately good. Chiefs will get weapons for Mahomes. Rodgers will be healthy, and the Jets won 7 without him. Anything could happen but the AFC will be a real grind.

NFC? There's like 3-4 good teams a lot of meh. If  the goal is to get to Super Bowls the road is way easier in the NFC. 

Great points but I don’t see Belichick as an Atlanta guy. But if the falcons do get a qb, they will be a major problem. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Great points but I don’t see Belichick as an Atlanta guy. But if the falcons do get a qb, they will be a major problem. 

Yeah, Falcons don't seem like a real NFL team to me...

I could see him and Jerry Jones coexisting for a couple seasons as a way to get Dallas over the top if Big Mike and Dak come up short this weekend (or next).

Whoever hires him it's probably 3 years max. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

15 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Yeah the best situation purely by personnel, ownership, and pick to join to me is Atlanta. The Commanders don't have the personnel but the pick and ability to build your own thing is intriguing too. This ownership is probably a lot better than Snyder too. 

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Yeah the best situation purely by personnel, ownership, and pick to join to me is Atlanta. The Commanders don't have the personnel but the pick and ability to build your own thing is intriguing too. This ownership is probably a lot better than Snyder too. 

I could see Belichick liking the idea of coaching in Washington DC

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.