Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If I was a mess Jim Harbaugh would be my first call. Nobody does culture change better than him. He has now got over the hump and finally become a winner so maybe he is the #1 anywhere but he is known as difficult to work with. He creates tension and dysfunction. I just think those types are short shelf life. 

Vrabel to be honest is similar. He is not out in Tennessee because of two losing seasons. He is out in Tennessee because of two general managers. Neither of whom he could get on with. Eventually when that is the case teams conclude you might be the issue. 

If I was a team that I thought was close and just needed better coaching I'd start with Ben Johnson. I don't think he is the offensive genius some do but that almost improves my opinion of him as a Head Coach candidate. I think his offense is pretty simplistic. But it leans heavily into what his players can do and who they are. And it is that awareness and player centric approach that gives me hope he will be a good one. 

And then there is Bill Belichick. If he is fired and I was Washington, 2nd pick in the draft, some pieces, just need a QB, easier conference.... man I'd think long and hard about Belichick. But I would make him work with a GM. 

I think those four stand out in a rather thin HC candidate pool. I like Bobby Slowick but I hate hiring guys as Head Coaches based on 1 sparkling year as a coordinator. If he backs up next year then he would absolutely be high on my list for 2025. Brandon Staley is the cautionary tale of the 1 year coordinator hotshot.

I personally believe Brian Flores should find his way into the mix somewhere. Although, it may not happen with all the lawsuit stuff. 

Frank Smith probably ends up with a job seeing he's highly regarded by players and works for the trendy team right now. 

15 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I personally believe Brian Flores should find his way into the mix somewhere. Although, it may not happen with all the lawsuit stuff. 

Frank Smith probably ends up with a job seeing he's highly regarded by players and works for the trendy team right now. 

I think Flo was harshly treated in Miami, but I don't know if I'd have him on the same tier as those other guys. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Flo was harshly treated in Miami, but I don't know if I'd have him on the same tier as those other guys. 

Yeah, he is definitely more in the Staley category than the Vrabel category. He didnt achieve any real success in Miami. Not sure what he does well.

It would have to be a desperate team that hires him as HC. Like if Atlanta doesnt get moving on interviews soon!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they were hoping for a mutual parting of the ways type deal like Coughlin in New York or Payton in New Orleans. Bill has dug his heels in and said "nope, if you don't want me you can fire me, I have a contract and I am staying." Now faced with actually firing him I suspect the Krafts are suffering from sweaty palms... among other things. 

They are playing a game of chicken...Kraft wants to move on from Belichick, but he knows there are other franchises that are interested in hiring him and he'd like to get some sort of draft pick compensation in a trade.  Belichick wants to leave but he doesn't want his new team to have to give up draft picks, so he's standing pat, saying he's content to stay in NE.  I think Kraft is going to lose this game because time is running out...he'll eventually give Belichick his walking papers and hire Vrabel.    

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Surprised Pederson is still at Jax.  It had to be the most disappointing team this season.  Loaded on offense and D.  Looks like he took the "blame everyone else" route.  

For better or worse, Khan is one of the owners that tends to give his head coaches a lot of time before he moves on (and the original owner was this way too). The original owner ran the team from 1995 to 2010 and only had two head coaches during that time. Khan has owned the team for 12 years now; Pederson is the 5th head coach during that time, but that's really just because Mularkey and Urban Meyer were epic disasters that had to be fired after one year. The other two coaches, Gus Bradley and our beloved Doug Marrone, got 4 years each (roughly; Bradley was fired towards the end of his 4th season and Marrone took over). Bradley had a 14-48 record in his tenure; Marrone was 23-43. Pederson is entering Year #3 and is 18-16 so far; I doubt he's really close to the hot seat yet.

45 minutes ago, mannc said:

They are playing a game of chicken...Kraft wants to move on from Belichick, but he knows there are other franchises that are interested in hiring him and he'd like to get some sort of draft pick compensation in a trade.  Belichick wants to leave but he doesn't want his new team to have to give up draft picks, so he's standing pat, saying he's content to stay in NE.  I think Kraft is going to lose this game because time is running out...he'll eventually give Belichick his walking papers and hire Vrabel.    

I'd die if this happens and then Vrabel names Belichick as his DC. Yet I know Belichick close to the HC win record so likely only stick around for a HC job but who knows, the guy might just want to stick around to spite the league.

38 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

WR coach was fired as well. So long story short, Bears keeping Eberfleus and the defensive staff in place; overhauling the offensive staff (presumably as they draft a new QB but we'll see).

New QB or next generational WR in Marvin Harrison Jr? or a possible trade down if they have faith in Fields. 

43 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

WR coach was fired as well. So long story short, Bears keeping Eberfleus and the defensive staff in place; overhauling the offensive staff (presumably as they draft a new QB but we'll see).

Bears will be an interesting team to watch this offseason. If they make the right moves, they could be poised for a huge leap forward…a lot of people criticized them for the Montez Sweat trade, but that’s looking like a really nice move.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

New QB or next generational WR in Marvin Harrison Jr? or a possible trade down if they have faith in Fields. 

I think if they decide they want Harrison, they'll probably trade down to 2 or 3 and let one of those teams give up assets to secure their QB.

But I'd be very, very surprised if they decide not to just stay at #1 and take the QB.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Bears will be an interesting team to watch this offseason. If they make the right moves, they could be poised for a huge leap forward…

If they do move on from Fields, I could see the Steelers or Jets being interested. Pickett is "meh" and Rodgers isn't a long-term answer. He might not even be a short-term answer if they don't improve that OL.

47 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

"Give him a HOF QB, I bet he wins"

- Beast Master 

Vrabel has had the Titans as a top team numerous seasons with a mediocre QB, so let's stop pretending he didn't win without a HOF QB

The point is that Vrabel has accomplished about as much as McDermott has with a much less talented QB, and really a less talented team. I've seen Vrabel make some fabulous coaching moves in game, while McDermott makes questionable decisions with regularity.

5 minutes ago, Gregg said:

If they do move on from Fields, I could see the Steelers or Jets being interested. Pickett is "meh" and Rodgers isn't a long-term answer. He might not even be a short-term answer if they don't improve that OL.

Pittsburgh is insisting that Pickett remains their franchise QB moving forward, but benching him for Mason Rudolph seems to indicate that the QB they want moving forwards is not currently on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Vrabel has had the Titans as a top team numerous seasons with a mediocre QB, so let's stop pretending he didn't win without a HOF QB

The point is that Vrabel has accomplished about as much as McDermott has with a much less talented QB, and really a less talented team. I've seen Vrabel make some fabulous coaching moves in game, while McDermott makes questionable decisions with regularity.

And McDermott holding the number one offense in the league to 8 yards rushing and 17 plays total in a half is questionable decisions?

Mcdermott has his flaws, but he’s a damn good coach and has won 4 straight AFCE titles. That is more than Vrabel can say, in arguably a weaker division 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Yeah, but in a terrible division.

22 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

And McDermott holding the number one offense in the league to 8 yards rushing and 17 plays total in a half is questionable decisions?

Mcdermott has his flaws, but he’s a damn good coach and has won 4 straight AFCE titles. That is more than Vrabel can say, in arguably a weaker division 

Get outta here with your facts and positivity! We've got a game to mentally lose four days before it happens.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I think if they decide they want Harrison, they'll probably trade down to 2 or 3 and let one of those teams give up assets to secure their QB.

But I'd be very, very surprised if they decide not to just stay at #1 and take the QB.

I agree, I threw it out there only because of the firing of their WR coach. Toss in they probably could get another 1st rounder or more if move Fields and keep #1 draft Caleb Williams. 

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

If they decide they want Harrison they aren’t very bright because Nabers is going to be better and might very well be there at 9.  I’m not saying Harrison will bust, but there is an opportunity cost embedded in him.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

Who's exactly been good in our division these past five seasons?

Tha Pats made the playoffs twice, including winning the division. The Dolphins have made the playoffs and had multiple double digit win seasons. Even the Jets won 7 games the past 2 years. The AFC East has been a pretty decent division, actually, with two teams going to the playoffs in the division 4 out of the past 5 seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

DeMeco Ryans says helllllllloooooooo.

I should have said "one of the last" lol.   After Carroll, Vrabel, Staley, Hoodie?...it's getting to be a restricted club.

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Pete Carroll reportedly getting blown out at Seattle.  They are moving on.  McDermott will be the last of the defensive background head coaches.

Coach of the year candidate Demeco Ryans. 

Robert Saleh, Mike Tomlin, Antonio Pierce, Matt Eberflus, Dennis Allen, Todd Bowles, and until notified otherwise BILL BELICHICK.  

14 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Pete Carroll reportedly getting blown out at Seattle.  They are moving on.  McDermott will be the last of the defensive background head coaches.

There's still a lot of head coaches with defensive backgrounds and likely another 1 or 2 added to the list this offseason. It's currently 11 defense and 14 offense and seems like a near certainty Dan Quinn will be taking one of the vacancies.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I should have said "one of the last" lol.   After Carroll, Vrabel, Staley, Hoodie?...it's getting to be a restricted club.

I counted 9, assuming Pierce gets the Raiders job and Belichick coaches next season somewhere. That's hardly a restricted club.  

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

There's still a lot of head coaches with defensive backgrounds and likely another 1 or 2 added to the list this offseason. It's currently 11 defense and 14 offense and seems like a near certainty Dan Quinn will be taking one of the vacancies.

Who are the 2 I missed?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.