Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

46 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

They ran 9 plays in the 2nd half before the final drive

Because the bix was crowed and McDaniel's thought he best path to victory was throwing. Come on Mikie it's not that hard to understand. You asked what adjustments that was it. 

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Poyer said after the game in an interview they went more single high safety to bring a guy in the box to disrupt their run game and basically told Tua to beat them. He couldn't.

People killing the Fins for not running more but Tua did was he was supposed to do and that is not try and run against a heavy box and throw due to a numbers advantage.

They had 3 carries for 7 yards in 2nd half. Bills were crashing the LOS hard.

McDaniels had no answer once Bills took away what was working in first half.

I hope Mikie gets it. 

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Because the bix was crowed and McDaniel's thought he best path to victory was throwing. Come on Mikie it's not that hard to understand. You asked what adjustments that was it. 

I hope Mikie gets it. 

The point was Allen and company controlled the entire half. Miami never had the ball. We played with an extra guy in the box on like 5 snaps. I’m hesitant to call this a genius adjustment but sure, it was very complimentary with what the offense did. 

• Vomit 1

52 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Poyer said after the game in an interview they went more single high safety to bring a guy in the box to disrupt their run game and basically told Tua to beat them. He couldn't.

People killing the Fins for not running more but Tua did was he was supposed to do and that is not try and run against a heavy box and throw due to a numbers advantage.

They had 3 carries for 7 yards in 2nd half. Bills were crashing the LOS hard.

McDaniels had no answer once Bills took away what was working in first half.

Also it seemed obvious to me in the 2nd half that we were totally ceding the area outside the numbers. Tua threw a couple ducks into that area that fell incomplete, and one ended up being the game losing INT. Go ahead Tua, we're leaving your guy wide open all the way over here. Please lob it to him using the only club in your bag. What could possibly go wrong?

Beating Miami defensively is actually somewhat simple if you have smart players. At least until they get more than a bridge QB. Focus on stopping the run on early downs, ignore the pre-snap cheese, force Tua to throw outside the numbers. Bonus points if you can take away the first read which is an automatic win for the defense.

Easier said than done of course. McDermott had his players ready, and the consecutive TD drives only happened because we were reeling after losing Douglas and Dodson.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

What was the adjustment in your eyes? 

They did two things. Poyer came down into the box more. And they made a conscious decision to call the pass rush off. First half the Bills front 4 was penetrating upfield only to find a ball that was either gone laterally on the toss or a quick strike out of Tua's hand. Second half they were noticeably holding their ground at the line more. I think they basically said "we are not winning this game based on whether we get to Tua or not, we are winning it based on whether we can control the line." That combination definitely spooked McDaniel out of running the ball more (mistake IMO) and got McDermott what he wanted. The game in Tua's hands having to make tight window throws.

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I admit I don’t follow the chargers much at all, what makes their ownership a nightmare?

Interfering, don't like spending money, operate a patchwork infrastructure behind the scenes. Since firing Marty they have gone for coaches they can control to an extent. That isn't Jim Harbaugh. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Gary Danielson talking on Sirius the belief that Tom Brady wants Jim Harbaugh to coach the Raiders and that would be Mark Davis’s first choice too. Would Harbaugh take the job with Aiden O’Connell as his QB since the Raiders are picking 8th. 

Mark Davis and Jim Harbaugh would be a perfect match imo.  As eccentric as Mark Davis is I don't think he's the type of owner that runs interference when it comes to football operations.  Harbaugh could just draft JJ McCarthy and essentially bring him from Michigan.  As far as money goes, this is an owner that gave Jon Gruden a 10 year 100m dollar contract.  I think Davis would outbid the competition.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Mark Davis and Jim Harbaugh would be a perfect match imo.  As eccentric as Mark Davis is I don't think he's the type of owner that runs interference when it comes to football operations.  Harbaugh could just draft JJ McCarthy and essentially bring him from Michigan.  As far as money goes, this is an owner that gave Jon Gruden a 10 year 100m dollar contract.  I think Davis would outbid the competition.

Davis actively wants a powerful leader who he can just hand the keys too. That was his plan with Gruden. Give him all the power, let him pick his own personnel team and then step away and leave them to it. I can see that appealing to Harbaugh. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Ill be honest I think Harbaugh is staying now 

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meanwhile that bum Pederson escaped the axe---he threw his staff under the bus in a valiant move to right (another) sinking ship.

Not fired his boy Press Taylor though. He was allegedly one of the staff Lurie wanted him to fire in Philadelphia and he refused (which in part led to his own firing). Now he is sticking his neck out for him again. 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I actually think that Eberflus could get the ax in Chicago still. Then they would push everything to the forefront in going after Harbaugh, with Harbaugh being a former Bears QB. I could see them throwing a ton of cash and power his way. Chicago also has the #1 and #9 picks in the upcoming draft. Very enticing for anyone looking to build a franchise. I'm sure Harbaugh could get the most out of Fields as well if they chose to keep him. Look what he got out of Kaepernick, and Fields is definitely more talented than him. It will be an interesting next couple of weeks. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Not fired his boy Press Taylor though. He was allegedly one of the staff Lurie wanted him to fire in Philadelphia and he refused (which in part led to his own firing). Now he is sticking his neck out for him again. 

Kudos to Pederson for having some conviction. Press Taylor must feel incredibly valued and supported.

Unfortunate for the rest of the staff. 

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

I actually think that Eberflus could get the ax in Chicago still. Then they would push everything to the forefront in going after Harbaugh, with Harbaugh being a former Bears QB. I could see them throwing a ton of cash and power his way. Chicago also has the #1 and #9 picks in the upcoming draft. Very enticing for anyone looking to build a franchise. I'm sure Harbaugh could get the most out of Fields as well if they chose to keep him. Look what he got out of Kaepernick, and Fields is definitely more talented than him. It will be an interesting next couple of weeks. 

And if Harbaugh says 'no', there's always Plan B.  Jay Cutler.

🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And if Harbaugh says 'no', there's always Plan B.  Jay Cutler.

🤔

No. I just don't think Eberflus is safe. I think if they fired Eberflus, then Harbaugh would be their first priority. After that, probably another offensive minded coach like Ben Johnson, or Brian Callahan, or Bobby Slowik. 

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

No. I just don't think Eberflus is safe. I think if they fired Eberflus, then Harbaugh would be their first priority. After that, probably another offensive minded coach like Ben Johnson, or Brian Callahan, or Bobby Slowik. 

I don't think he should be safe. But didn't the Bears sniff around Harbaugh two years ago....

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he should be safe. But didn't the Bears sniff around Harbaugh two years ago....

I believe so, but he was in different place then. He has now delivered a CFP Championship to his alma mater, which is why he went back there. Now he could see the same opportunity in Chicago. They also have the draft capital to entice, along with what would probably be a blank check. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, and iirc the meeting went horribly. Same as the 10 hour meeting between Harbaugh and the Vikings last year.

Dude is out there and tough for NFL owners to deal with.

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I believe so, but he was in different place then. He has now delivered a CFP Championship to his alma mater, which is why he went back there. Now he could see the same opportunity in Chicago. They also have the draft capital to entice, along with what would probably be a blank check. 

With Harbaugh, the issue isnt convincing him to leave college football. It's convincing the owners he's worth dealing with.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, and iirc the meeting went horribly. Same as the 10 hour meeting between Harbaugh and the Vikings last year.

Dude is out there and tough for NFL owners to deal with.

With Harbaugh, the issue isnt convincing him to leave college football. It's convincing the owners he's worth dealing with.

Which is why if I was a betting man - Raiders!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Which is why if I was a betting man - Raiders!

I thought Antonio Pierce did a good job as the interim HC. I wonder if he gets the job going forward.

18 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I thought Antonio Pierce did a good job as the interim HC. I wonder if he gets the job going forward.

The last time they had an interim HC it was Rich Bisaccia who did a pretty good for them but they went out and got Josh McDaniels and we saw how that ended. I agree Pierce did them well, he might not be a name but if he can find a good OC and decent DC he should be successful assuming Jacobs and Adams return. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Gregg said:

8 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The last time they had an interim HC it was Rich Bisaccia who did a pretty good for them but they went out and got Josh McDaniels and we saw how that ended. I agree Pierce did them well, he might not be a name but if he can find a good OC and decent DC he should be successful assuming Jacobs and Adams return. 

Agreed Pierce did a good job and has certainly earned himself an opportunity for an interview.

But I also have to wonder how much of his success was due to the "rally around the interim HC" thing, versus how it looks with a real, full year and trudging through training camp, etc. I think a lot of stuff gets forgiven with interim HCs that would normally get the side-eye from some vets.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed Pierce did a good job and has certainly earned himself an opportunity for an interview.

But I also have to wonder how much of his success was due to the "rally around the interim HC" thing, versus how it looks with a real, full year and trudging through training camp, etc. I think a lot of stuff gets forgiven with interim HCs that would normally get the side-eye from some vets.

That's where management should talk to the players and get some input to see what they think. Granted they don't have listen but learn what the guys feel about Pierce. I'd ask the guys that may not be around long to get a true feel and the the circle of guys like Crosby who to me a leader.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Pederson is a massive fraud.   Eagles figured this out a little late, but they figured it out..

look for Jags under .500 next year.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Pederson is a massive fraud.   Eagles figured this out a little late, but they figured it out..

Wonder if there is any connection with McD coming from the Reid tree, and if Pederson would want our OC job in 2025.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I agree…this would be a very unique situation with Chicago having #1 pick and Harbaugh on the market.

Eberflus does not deserve to be fired.

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

For what? To ride out the coming NCAA sanctions? No way, this has Pete Carroll written all over it. Win then dip and let the school deal with the aftermath.

I don’t think you know the way Harbaugh is wired this is a man who once sat on a park bench in Chicago for 2 hours cause he was in awe of a traffic cop doing his job. Just wouldn’t shock me at all if he stays and said screw this I’ll do it again. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yea I have always been in the camp that believes the Philly Special has given him a reputation he doesn't deserve. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Wow this is a shocking move:

For my money Vrabel is a top 5 coach in the NFL, let down by poor roster management. I hope he doesn't end up in New England...

Agree, I think he's a great head coach. Meathead, but a great coach. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Wow this is a shocking move:

For my money Vrabel is a top 5 coach in the NFL, let down by poor roster management. I hope he doesn't end up in New England...

90% he will. This is the final kick in the arse they need now to can Belly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.