List of players under contract and Free Agents in 2024

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Where would Tre play next season?

Not in front of either Douglas or Benford.

Don't be ridiculous. If Tre was healthy he would 100% be starting over these guys. Tre White is an all pro. Benford is a good corner and so is Douglas, but the Bills would much rather have a healthy Tre White, as would most of the league 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

Don't be ridiculous. If Tre was healthy he would 100% be starting over these guys. Tre White is an all pro. Benford is a good corner and so is Douglas, but the Bills would much rather have a healthy Tre White, as would most of the league 

Agree although a healthy, but slower Tre White would be a candidate for a move to safety IMO. Achilles injury is tough. Because more so than the ACL it really affects explosiveness which for a zone corner is a possible issue. If you are getting Tre back and he is healthy but he is a tick slower because he doesn't have the same explosion I am interested in whether they'd consider him at safety.

But I will caveat all of that with the only way Tre is back is if he is willing to take a pay cut. If he still wants to play football his best chance of being a good player again is on this team where he knows the scheme inside out, knows the coaches and knows his teammates. The only new guaranteed money for Tre on his current deal are the $1.5m roster bonuses which guarantee early in the league year in 2024 and 2025. So the Bills have leverage to discuss a new contract with him. They have to account for $10.3m of money that he has already been paid, but if they gave him say $6m of new guarantees in exchange for cutting in half his base salaries the next two seasons (from $8m to $4m in 2024 and from $10m to $5m in 2025)... which would mean his cap hits come down to $12m and $11m rather than $16m and the Bills would still have a pretty easy out after 2024 (probably for circa $6m rather than the $4m it is now) then I could see a route where he comes back. We'd be essentially asking him to give up $9m in possible earnings for the guarantee of $6m in new money and a chance to re-stablish himself in a place he feels comfortable. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Tre coming off an achilles is not going to start over either Benford or Douglas.

• Agree 1

Question What teams Cap would be more "Dire"

The team with Their QB on a Long term contract, 44 players under contract and Over the cap by 41M

Or 

The team without their QB on a long term contract, 37 players under contract and over the cap by 41M

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Think Von retires? how much would that save?

I wish they would have put him on the NFL Exempt list.  Voided the guarantees and then could have cut him easy.  Retirement wont save much they will be able to force payback of the prorated signing bonus etc Think Eric Wood situation. 

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He's not a good fit at Safety at all.

Cut him outright and save the money, OR offer him something like 3 years/$18M with like $15M guaranteed. He gets some more guaranteed money and we significantly lower his cap hit. Other than that, he is welcome to test the market.

Why is he not a good fit at safety?  Given the injury history, why would we guarantee so much upfront?

10 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Hence “if he is healthy”

Yes, no doubt. The problem is that Achilles are long painful rehabs and often you never reach top speed again.

Tre's talents were never as a speedster but in instinct and technique. I think you could get something out of him, but I doubt we see #1 CB level from him next year. Maybe in 2025, but that's a lot of patience and money to have him ride the pine.

Tre White is going to be back, and will be good. 

According to Rodgers, Tre was at the Achilles factory with him and Dobbins, rehabbing away like crazy. 

Also, from what I've seen/read, Achilles recovery is now a pretty sure thing, like a broken bone, but just takes a long time. Tre should be good to go, especially since he didn't rush anything and stretch it out prematurely. 

If you let it heal the right way it has a high success rate. Better than a knee because it's straightforward. 

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

According to Rodgers, Tre was at the Achilles factory with him and Dobbins, rehabbing away like crazy. 

Also, from what I've seen/read, Achilles recovery is now a pretty sure thing, like a broken bone, but just takes a long time. Tre should be good to go, especially since he didn't rush anything and stretch it out prematurely. 

If you let it heal the right way it has a high success rate. Better than a knee because it's straightforward. 

At this point, the only thing I would take Aaron Rodger's advice on is recreational substances.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

At this point, the only thing I would take Aaron Rodger's advice on is recreational substances.

I get that, but him pointing out that Tre is there rehabbing was a good sign, IMO.

The stuff about Achilles healing is not from Rodgers but all the sports medicine guys who have been weighing in on the whole thing all season. Basically that it's a straight forward repair and recovery but needs the proper time. 

Tre should be good to go. It was said by many of them that an Achilles is a more straightforward recovery than an ACL, for example, with less chance of any long term impairment of ability. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea the counter balance for the $41m over the cap is 44 players under contract which is among the highest in the NFL. The maths has been done before but there are ways to get under the cap without taking any of the really hard decisions. The question is how much are they willing to take those decisions to give them the flexibility to re-make parts of the roster (secondary particularly).

No. The biggest flaw in his game is his transitions (i.e go from moving backwards to moving forwards or from moving laterally to moving vertically). If you can't transition smoothly as a safety you are toast. 

Except the Bills do not have 44 players under contract next season. They have 39. Spotrac shows 44, but that number includes 5 players with cap hits in 2024 due to void years. Those players are Floyd, Hyde, Jones, Settle and Matacevich. Spotrac link

• Like (+1) 1

IF Tre comes back i wouldn't expect him to move back right into the starting role right away. The team will likely work him back into the rotation slowly, like they did this past season. With the 3 of these guys, Sul, Benford & Tre, there's no need or reason to move any of them to any other position. You simply plug & play based on who is available or deserving of the time. If all are fully healthy & competing for the same time, then perhaps u can make a move. But its just absurd to talk about now imho, moving Tre to safety. Its just not gonna happen & theres no need for it. Seems wiser to just get a safety to replace whoever is leaving.

18 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Below is the complete list of players that we have under contract next season, by position.

Players in italics have an out in their contract after this season:

QB:
Josh Allen

RB:
James Cook
Nyheim Hines

FB:
Reggie Gilliam

WR:
Stefon Diggs
Khalil Shakir
Deonte Harty 
Justin Shorter

TE:
Dalton Kincaid
Dawson Knox
Zach Davidson

OL:
Dion Dawkins
Connor McGovern 
Mitch Morse
O'Cyrus Torrence
Spencer Brown
-
Ryan Bates
Ryan Van Demark
Tommy Doyle
Alec Anderson

DE:
Von Miller
Greg Rousseau
Kingsley Jonathan 

DT:
Ed Oliver

LB:
Matt Milano
Terrel Bernard
Dorian Williams
Baylon Spector

CB:

Rasul Douglas
Christian Benford
Tre'Davious White
Taron Johnson
Kaiir Elam
Siran Neal

S:
Jordan Poyer
Damar Hamlin

ST:
Tyler Bass
Sam Martin
Reid Ferguson

We currently sit $41.4 million over the cap. I'm sure Beane has different restructure and cut plans in place already to get us under. But there is a lot of work to be done. Though it is good to see so much of our core in place.

Go with that, draft WR in rounds 1-2 then fill in the rest of the roster. 

16 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I get that, but him pointing out that Tre is there rehabbing was a good sign, IMO.

The stuff about Achilles healing is not from Rodgers but all the sports medicine guys who have been weighing in on the whole thing all season. Basically that it's a straight forward repair and recovery but needs the proper time. 

Tre should be good to go. It was said by many of them that an Achilles is a more straightforward recovery than an ACL, for example, with less chance of any long term impairment of ability. 

I know I am not up to date on the latest in sports medicine, but last I had heard Achilles was harder to come back from than ACL. 

Beane will do an excellent job of cuts and restructures, I am not worried about that at all.  The bigger problem is Beane has to hit several home runs in the draft and cheap FA's.  He finds decent cheap FA's because of our reputation as a good team with a good culture with a top 5 QB... but we need home runs, Like Douglas (I know he was a trade)!

Beane will cut some aging players... the issue is he needs to have an amazing draft for once.  Not just a good or decent one.  One of those drafts that people talk about for years.  That is the only thing that will keep us relevant with our high cap numbers for the next 5 years! 

52 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I know I am not up to date on the latest in sports medicine, but last I had heard Achilles was harder to come back from than ACL. 

it's weird, because all the stuff you read says achilles is a career killer, but these sports surgeons say that it's no longer that and in fact is pretty straightforward, just long/difficult but good results can be expected 

Of course, they're the ones doing the surgeries, so...

Edited by TheFunPolice

Douglas has a $9MM cap hit next year in his contract, but he will also be 30 in August.  With his size and [meh] speed do you move him to safety eventually.  Not sure that a 30 yr old CB is going to get a lot of top dollar offers.  Gilmore is playing this year on an $10MM contract. 

8 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Douglas has a $9MM cap hit next year in his contract, but he will also be 30 in August.  With his size and [meh] speed do you move him to safety eventually.  Not sure that a 30 yr old CB is going to get a lot of top dollar offers.  Gilmore is playing this year on an $10MM contract. 

I could see him signing a 3 yr deal this off-season for $7-8 m per year … half guaranteed …

He is the best CB on the team at the moment and that’s where he will play in 2024 ..

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Below is the complete list of players that we have under contract next season, by position.

Players in italics have an out in their contract after this season:

QB:
Josh Allen

RB:
James Cook
Nyheim Hines

FB:
Reggie Gilliam

WR:
Stefon Diggs
Khalil Shakir
Deonte Harty 
Justin Shorter

TE:
Dalton Kincaid
Dawson Knox
Zach Davidson

OL:
Dion Dawkins
Connor McGovern 
Mitch Morse
O'Cyrus Torrence
Spencer Brown
-
Ryan Bates
Ryan Van Demark
Tommy Doyle
Alec Anderson

DE:
Von Miller
Greg Rousseau
Kingsley Jonathan 

DT:
Ed Oliver

LB:
Matt Milano
Terrel Bernard
Dorian Williams
Baylon Spector

CB:

Rasul Douglas
Christian Benford
Tre'Davious White
Taron Johnson
Kaiir Elam
Siran Neal

S:
Jordan Poyer
Damar Hamlin

ST:
Tyler Bass
Sam Martin
Reid Ferguson

We currently sit $41.4 million over the cap. I'm sure Beane has different restructure and cut plans in place already to get us under. But there is a lot of work to be done. Though it is good to see so much of our core in place.

Beane did a good job accumulating draft picks and I believe he’ll use these to trade up. 

There’s to be a lot of holes on defense especially in the secondary and d-line.  My fear is that they go heavy on defense and ignore the WR position or fill it with “value” FA’s.  The position needs an upgrade and the Bills have to start thinking of life after Diggs in a season or two 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Over Benford? Yes. Over Douglas though, it depends. Healthy how? Like before the Achilles or before the ACL? 

Before the ACL, absolutely. He was a top 5-10 CB in the league. After the ACL though - he never returned fully to form. He looked better this season than he did when he came back last year. But he had yet to return to the same player he was before the Achilles happened.

Douglas right now is performing better than he has since the ACL happened. And post Achilles, he's not going to be starting over either.

15 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm not going to say it's impossible, it's just HIGHLY unlikely what you're saying is true. 

He never returned to 100% form after the ACL tear before he tore his Achilles. It occured in November of 2021 and when September 2024 comes around, he'll have played a grand total of 10 games in that almost 3 years.

He's missed a LOT of NFL football, will be 29 years old, and is coming off not one, but two injuries that cause players to lose a step.

All the while, he's on a contract that pays him as one of the top CB's in the NFL, that has an out after this season, and we're in cap hell. We've also replaced him on the roster with someone who is playing incredibly well and will be here next season. And a young, in their prime long term starter with a clean bill of health on the other side of him.

It's a massive question mark as to whether or not he can even be a semblance of the same player. And we're paying him as if he is the same guy. If we were in a better spot financially, I'd say *maybe* we could try and be patient with him for his past contributions to the team. But we're not and that tough business decision is more of a no brainer because of it.

Especially when we already have two very good CB's starting and holes in starting positions all over the roster.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I could see him signing a 3 yr deal this off-season for $7-8 m per year … half guaranteed …

He is the best CB on the team at the moment and that’s where he will play in 2024 ..

He WAS the best CB on this roster. But it will be almost 3 years and two serious injuries between then and Week 1 of the 2024 season.

After his injury in November of 2021 and before his Achilles tear earlier this season, he didn't return to that same form. He looked better this year than he did last and made some progress, but he wasn't the same shutdown Top 5 CB.

And now after the Achilles and the way Douglas is playing - that declaration or projection is, at the very least, highly suspect.

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He WAS the best CB on this roster. But it will be almost 3 years and two serious injuries between then and Week 1 of the 2024 season.

After his injury in November of 2021 and before his Achilles tear earlier this season, he didn't return to that same form. He looked better this year than he did last and made some progress, but he wasn't the same shutdown Top 5 CB.

And now after the Achilles and the way Douglas is playing - that declaration or projection is, at the very least, highly suspect.

Im talking about Douglas …you are confusing yourself 

Edited by Aussie Joe

On 1/3/2024 at 8:43 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Agreed. 

It's sad White will go out this way. But there's no way we can pay him in 2024 and 2025 what we're scheduled to pay him in the condition he's in. Being injured, it will have to come in the form of a settlement.

But in the situation we're in, we need space anywhere we can get it and with the injuries he sustained, we can't continue to pay him what we signed him to before those injuries happened. And we've already replaced him in the Starting Lineup and are in relatively good shape at CB as a whole.

Poyer is a little trickier. Releasing him would leave us absolutely nowhere at Safety. But he has a 7.5m cap hit next season and I don't think he's playing to that and we can likely find a better option cheaper and save some cap on top of it.

I think Harty and Bates are probably gone as well. Though with Bates, maybe we can restructure his deal or he'd take a pay cut. He is very important depth.

Martin has performed well at times, but his release could save a little in 2024 and another 2.28 in 2025 and it is only the Punter position.

Agree with you man. You can’t be out the door without both Hyde and Poyer. Believe one of the two will be back on a friendly deal; likely P.O. due to health. 

Biggest concern is that position outside WR. 

Martin holds the ball far too long IMO which is the cause for his rougher punts; can’t force a slow guy to rush his job in any Avenue. 

7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He never returned to 100% form after the ACL tear before he tore his Achilles. 

I disagree with this to an extent.... but it was very small sample size. He was very good week 3 at Washington and then I'd argue week 4 vs the Dolphins was one of Tre's best 3 games as a Buffalo Bill. He was absolutely lock down in that game. But I agree that last season and even the first couple of games of this we hadn't seen close to the pre-ACL White. But I honestly think that is why he was so upset when the achilles happened - he knew those last two games were finally the real Tre White it had taken him so long to feel like that and he got less than two full games to enjoy it before another bad injury. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree with this to an extent.... but it was very small sample size. He was very good week 3 at Washington and then I'd argue week 4 vs the Dolphins was one of Tre's best 3 games as a Buffalo Bill. He was absolutely lock down in that game. But I agree that last season and even the first couple of games of this we hadn't seen close to the pre-ACL White. But I honestly think that is why he was so upset when the achilles happened - he knew those last two games were finally the real Tre White it had taken him so long to feel like that and he got less than two full games to enjoy it before another bad injury. 

Achilles tears aren't nearly the death knell that they used to be and I'm curious to see if he can make a full comeback to the player he was in weeks 3 and 4 of this season.

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Over Benford? Yes. Over Douglas though, it depends. Healthy how? Like before the Achilles or before the ACL? 

Before the ACL, absolutely. He was a top 5-10 CB in the league. After the ACL though - he never returned fully to form. He looked better this season than he did when he came back last year. But he had yet to return to the same player he was before the Achilles happened.

Douglas right now is performing better than he has since the ACL happened. And post Achilles, he's not going to be starting over either.

I'm not going to say it's impossible, it's just HIGHLY unlikely what you're saying is true. 

He never returned to 100% form after the ACL tear before he tore his Achilles. It occured in November of 2021 and when September 2024 comes around, he'll have played a grand total of 10 games in that almost 3 years.

He's missed a LOT of NFL football, will be 29 years old, and is coming off not one, but two injuries that cause players to lose a step.

All the while, he's on a contract that pays him as one of the top CB's in the NFL, that has an out after this season, and we're in cap hell. We've also replaced him on the roster with someone who is playing incredibly well and will be here next season. And a young, in their prime long term starter with a clean bill of health on the other side of him.

It's a massive question mark as to whether or not he can even be a semblance of the same player. And we're paying him as if he is the same guy. If we were in a better spot financially, I'd say *maybe* we could try and be patient with him for his past contributions to the team. But we're not and that tough business decision is more of a no brainer because of it.

Especially when we already have two very good CB's starting and holes in starting positions all over the roster.

No matter what happens with Tre - you can't keep him at the dollars he's currently at.  

If he excels here or elsewhere, it will not be at that contract.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

No matter what happens with Tre - you can't keep him at the dollars he's currently at.  

Yea agreed. I do think the Bills have some leverage to re-negotiate though. They are on the hook for $10m of dead cap already paid that they have to account for somewhere, but there is no guaranteed new money on Tre's deal. So they can offer him some guarantees for him lowering his overall number. There is an incentive for both sides to do that deal. I think it is 60/40 that Tre is back, but it won't be on the current contract as it stands. 

On 1/3/2024 at 10:26 PM, BuffBillsForLife said:

The most important question: can Elam play safety?

I don't see that happening.  The skills that Buffalo needs in their safeties are a lot more like the skill set of a good zone CB rather than a man coverage.    Zone coverage is exactly what Elam struggles with.  I think Elam either figures out how to play CB in Buffalo's system or he's done.  I agree with those who think Benford is the more likely player to switch to safety. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/5/2024 at 10:25 AM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

And that's where it gets tricky. How do you quantify in dollars the estimation of the type of player he will be when he returns? It's a complete unknown.

As I said earlier, when he returns, he'll have played a total of 10 games the last 3 years. He'll be coming off not 1, but 2 injuries that cause a player to lose a step and will be closer to 30 than 29 on top of that. Even if he didn't take those step losing injuries, he may have just naturally lost a step bc of age.

Honestly, if he were on the market, all he'd be offered is incentive laden prove it deals because at this point, you just don't know what you have.

I love Tre and appreciate his past contributions. But when you take everything I said, combine it with our cap situation, the fact that we replaced him already, and that we have an out to free ourselves of his cap hit this year and next year built into his contract for this offseason - fans really need to remove emotions from the equation. It's a really obvious, albeit rough, business decision.

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2024 at 5:38 AM, Chewmylegoff said:

Overthecap suggests there is an out in Hines’ contract - indeed he looks like the most obvious cut with a $5m cap saving. 

Interesting.

I went off Spotrac and while they list outs for all of the players I listed, they did not list an out for Hines. 

I think that's a no brainer if there is one in his deal. As is most of the options to get out from under, save for McGovern and Bates. 

But then again.... as @Beck Water so eloquently put it:

I dunno if the cap is a myth or the cap isn't a myth, but the Bills have said they want Hines to play for them next season.  Hines has said he expects to play for the Bills next season.  Hines didn't fight losing his salary of $2.5M and the Bills didn't try to recover his $500k signing bonus......Hines is getting basically, maximum PS money this season ($940k)

I don't think it takes a dot-connecting genius to infer that Beane promised Hines he would be on the team next season in exchange for getting the cap relief with no negative PR/grievance filed this season.  I think there's a bunch of other moves on Tompsett's list the Bills won't make, but the essential point is correct, there are moves to be made.

So probably not. That makes a LOT of sense.

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2024 at 8:52 AM, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Safety? Look, it's not an ideal situation and I know people will flame me here but with an injury settlement the Bills will be getting very little while losing a former All-Pro. We have a big hole at safety and Tre's strengths have never been speed but instinct and technique, which would serve him well as a FS. He's actually really close to Hyde and Poyer's measurables.

Again NOT A PERFECT FIT, but with an injury settlement we are getting very little cap space back while losing a player who has shown a lot of talent.

People keep pointing to the overall savings on Tre White this year and neglect to take into account - he also has a 16.7m cap hit in 2025 that would come off the books. And this is the Offseason to get out from under that as well.

We can't be on the hook for that number next season in the condition he's in. Even minimal savings this year while getting out of next year's massive number is something that pretty much has to be done.

On 1/4/2024 at 2:32 PM, gordong said:

nice there are 44 players but gotta find a way to keep Floyd, and DJ...   

Actually, it's only 39 players.  Floyd, Hyde, Jones, Settle and Matakevich are all on void contacts.

They are getting paid but not technically on the team to start the new season.

On 1/4/2024 at 6:29 AM, GunnerBill said:

No. The biggest flaw in his game is his transitions (i.e go from moving backwards to moving forwards or from moving laterally to moving vertically). If you can't transition smoothly as a safety you are toast. 

Completely false. He doesn't like to tackle. That's the issue. He graded out as one of the best cover corners in the league the final stretch of the season last year covering a couple of the biggest names in football. 

He doesn't play the run. He isn't physical enough to play in an undersized zone scheme where corners are frequently relied on to set the edge. So asking him to come downhill and fill gaps in the run game is out of the question. 

Edited by Luka
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Completely false. He doesn't like to tackle. That's the issue. He graded out as one of the best cover corners in the league the final stretch of the season last year covering a couple of the biggest names in football. 

He doesn't play the run. He isn't physical enough to play in an undersized zone scheme where corners are frequently relied on to set the edge. So asking him to come downhill and fill gaps in the run game is out of the question. 

Playing the run is not a strength, agreed. But his biggest weakness is his transitions. Always has been. It is why he excels in man coverage and struggles in what should be the comparatively easier discipline of playing zone. You have to be able to go from dropping to attacking in an instant and he can't. His long limbs kinda get in his own way. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.