Terrel Bernard for All Pro

SageAgainstTheMachine

It probably won't happen for a couple seasons because he's a no name compared to Fred Warner and Roquan Smith but I think he's been the MVP of a defense that also has Ed Oliver on it playing like an all pro.

134 tackles, 82 solo, 6.5 sacks, 10 TFL, 3 INT, 3 Fumble recoveries

Add in the fact that MLB was widely thought to be the team's biggest weakness heading into the season.  Shows what we know.

• Like (+1) 18
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

It probably won't happen for a couple seasons because he's a no name compared to Fred Warner and Roquan Smith but I think he's been the MVP of a defense that also has Ed Oliver on it playing like an all pro.

Add in the fact that MLB was widely thought to be the team's biggest weakness heading into the season.  Shows what we know.

Man can you imagine that LB unit if Matt didn’t get hurt. Best in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Fred Warner will rightly be the first team all pro at MLB. But TB43 should get votes and has a shot at 2nd team. He has been excellent and I was very very down on him.

Ed Oliver should be this team's 1 first team all pro.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Holy hell, great stat line. I knew he was playing well but to see if put together. WOW! Edmunds who!?!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

My biggest miss of all time. Really thought Bernard was going to be a bust. Rare instincts and just enough natural talent to thrive. Still would prefer him to be bigger but he was played very well!

I was against him because of his size. Which is still a thing. He still gets blocked out of plays at times. But his athleticism and smart play makes up for most of the loss because of size. He’s super quick and smart and it’s been huge. 

with all that said, I said for years that Edmunds is as trash. Glad I was right about that. We replaced him with an undersized 3rd rd guy that many thought would be a bust and he’s been outperforming him by miles. 

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Holy hell, great stat line. I knew he was playing well but to see if put together. WOW! Edmunds who!?!

And there’s not a single physical characteristic where Bernard has the edge.  Size, height, strength, speed, wingspan, all Edmunds.

But Bernard is a football player and Edmunds is an athlete on a football field and therein lies the rub.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

And there’s not a single physical characteristic where Bernard has the edge.  Size, height, strength, speed, wingspan, all Edmunds.

But Bernard is a football player and Edmunds is an athlete on a football field and therein lies the rub.

Oh I know, watching Bernard (or Cujo as I call him)  in the preseason two years ago he was great at reading plays. My worry was he sometimes was a step behind. But he's played a lot quicker this season than his timed speed.

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Yup, it shows that we fans talk a lot of trash about the nuances that we know little about, how happy are we that most of us were so wrong on this one, Beane and McDermott do know what they are up to the majority of the time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Bernard is the athlete of the two. Edmunds’s slow processing is his career killer. Nice paychecks though. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Fred Warner will rightly be the first team all pro at MLB. But TB43 should get votes and has a shot at 2nd team. He has been excellent and I was very very down on him.

Ed Oliver should be this team's 1 first team all pro.

We were all really down on him because of his size he proved us all wrong

• Agree 1

I love him. Again, his Baylor reel is so worth watching. The pick was getting all sorts of criticism but you could see that he had superstar quality from his reel and it's really starting to show. The man is an athlete and a leader. And intelligent too. A different kind of LB. A truly brilliant pick. 

6 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

6.5 sacks is crazy. Didn’t know he had that many. Definitely deserves All-Pro honors. 

And we got him in the 3rd round when Beane usually makes his "who the f*ck is this guy?" picks

• Haha (+1) 1

I gotta say McD has been worlds better calling defense than Frazier. This defense is so much more aggressive. 

Defense is not a priority in next year’s draft. We should go with WR round 1 for sure. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I gotta say McD has been worlds better calling defense than Frazier. This defense is so much more aggressive. 

Defense is not a priority in next year’s draft. We should go with WR round 1 for sure. 

Losing Floyd and AJE would be significant and who knows what Miller will be in 2024. With as deep as the WRs are in the draft you may take an edge rusher in Round 1 and still get a quality WR in Round 2. 

• Dislike 2

1 hour ago, bouds said:

Needs to clean up the tackling, but man he’s way better than any of us expected, no real drop off from Edmunds, and really an upgrade in some ways. 

I’d argue he’s an upgrade in most ways to Tremaine. If Edmunds was manning the middle this year, his play would definitely be a drop off from Bernard’s.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Losing Floyd and AJE would be significant and who knows what Miller will be in 2024. With as deep as the WRs are in the draft you may take an edge rusher in Round 1 and still get a quality WR in Round 2. 

And Ed is the only DT that is signed for 2024!  I'm okay with WR in the 1st if the value is there, but it will be a deep WR draft.  M

ost of the rest of the draft should be used to fill holes on the defense as numerous key contributors at DT, DE & Safety will be difficult to resign.  CB & LB depth will be a secondary need. 

Tremaine who?

Bernard is fun to watch. The way he will concentrate on the quarterback's eyes, or the way he rushes the quarterback on a delayed blitz, and how he will wait to go after a running back instead of rushing into the line, which is what Edmunds would do.

For a smallish defensive player, he knows how to make the most of his ability.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’d argue he’s an upgrade in most ways to Tremaine. If Edmunds was manning the middle this year, his play would definitely be a drop off from Bernard’s.

Agree with you actually. 

22 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I disagree. Look at our defense and how many late round picks have turned out to be studs:  Bernard, Milano, Benford, Johnson  And then other players like AJE who aren’t studs but solid players. McD is constantly bringing it on defense. Offense is another story. 

We need an infusion of talent at WR for Allen. Diggs is on the wrong side of 30 and Davis may not be back. We need a 1st round talent at WR and then another WR in the draft. 

Look no further than Mahomes to see what happens when you ignore the WR position. They are a disaster. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He will.  I don't see him having the mental hesitation like we saw with Tre & Von's acl. 

He’ll be 30 next season coming off a major injury.  He’s a great player but we can’t expect peak Milano.  His contract was a bargain so no way you move on, but Dodson and Williams look ready to play.  

Hate to pay myself on the back BUTTTTT

I WAS right about this linebacking crew.  I knew we would have someone step in and play better than edmunds

BUT. I didn’t know it would be tb43

kids amazing and next 3-5 years our front seven is going to be TOUGH!

milano and tb43 are going to absolutely be monsters to deal with - big Ed in the middle - sheesh 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.