Why is it so hard for fans to admit reality?

oldmanfan

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think the big difference with Brady is he was precision accurate, and his guys separate and ran at least 5 yards after the catch if not more.  Our guys mostly get tackled when they catch the ball.  This season has probably been Josh best season as far as his guys getting YAC and it still isnt all that good.

QBs have completely different traits.  What Brady had that made him special is not the same as what Josh has that makes him special.

I always appreciate our give and take.  You make a lot of excellent points 

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Go back and watch last night’s game and tell me we couldn’t have played better.

Lol, sure. Any team can play better on any day. Its why perfection is rarely achieved.  Those that come close still have their games throughout the season where they have to win like last night. You obviously didnt pay attention all week to the circumstances surrounding the game, and even those aside- to a man, when you let up 62 pts, you sure are hell are going to make sure it doesn't happen 2 weeks in a row. This team had some rough breaks on some ticky tack penalties that orevented a potential rout, had 2 dumb luck fumbles lost loosing the turnover battle 0-3, and still scored enough to win. Furthermore, this is a game they would have dropped earlier in the year. This time, they were in charge and looked like they knew what they were doing the entire time.  Sometimes you are up against it. Maybe a better team would have made them pay for their bad breaks. Instead of bumbling they showed competency and resiliency.  Acting ignorant to all this is just silly. Again, makes it look like you should watch more football, pay better attention, and author better posts.

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I could care less what they do.  What about isms are meaningless.  How Josh plays has nothing to do with how other QBs play.

You mean like how he is the only player in NFL history with 4 consecutive 40+ TD seasons?

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I always appreciate our give and take.  You make a lot of excellent points 

Sure man.  And I am not saying that Josh cant or shouldnt cut down on the INTs but he isn't going to be that guy that cuts it down that much.  Remember that quite a few of his ints this year are flukes too or ones that didnt even matter.  A batted ball at the line and our linemen just watched the defense catch it.  A ball right through Davis hands into the defenders, a hail mary at the end of the half.  I mean not all INTs are equal.  I cant really be mad at the Diggs int last night.  Thats the same throw he makes 99 out of 100 times for TD too.  He just didnt set his feet.  It was absolutely the right throw.

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The reality is we were lucky yesterday.  Josh was bad Josh until the last drive.  Cook had a pivotal fumble.  The defense let a guy with no experience in the league almost win the game for the Bolts.  The only guy that played really well was Oliver.  

Just admit they sucked yesterday and got lucky.  They won’t be that bad every game; I suspect they’ll squish the Fish like Josh always does.  But they sucked yesterday and have too many times this year against inferior competition and that’s why they’re in the position they’re in.

I don't mean to be mean but.

If you think the Bills were lucky...then you do not watch enough football...if you do watch a lot of football you are not understanding it enough.

Look around the league.  Pittsburgh killed the bengals, Atlanta beat the colts, The titans have played seattle down to the wire, The panthers are tied in the 4th with GB.  I suspect New England is going to play a really tough game against Denver tonight and same with the giants vs the eagles tomorrow.

The Bills defense had 6 sacks, all at critical times and forced the chargers to kick field goals.  Allen was 15/21 and accounted for 3 td's.  The running game did exactly what it had to do to allow that final drive to keep the clock moving and kick the field goal to take the lead.  

Were they lucky?  I dont know maybe...however it looked like most nfl games look in 2023.  There are no great teams in the league this year.  Its a week to week league and everything is about matchups and location.  

Almost everything you posted comes from your critical misunderstanding of the game and league you are watching.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The reality is we were lucky yesterday.  Josh was bad Josh until the last drive.  Cook had a pivotal fumble.  The defense let a guy with no experience in the league almost win the game for the Bolts.  The only guy that played really well was Oliver.  

Just admit they sucked yesterday and got lucky.  They won’t be that bad every game; I suspect they’ll squish the Fish like Josh always does.  But they sucked yesterday and have too many times this year against inferior competition and that’s why they’re in the position they’re in.

I gotta respond to this.  I haven't read the thread, except for a few of the early posts.   

It's not for me to say what OldMan meant when he said "lucky," but I've been trying to use the word "fortunate" instead.  The win wasn't lucky, but the Bills were fortunate to win.  It wasn't a lucky bounce, or a bad call against the Chargers.   But it WAS a game the Bills good have lost.  They were fortunate. 

I wouldn't say the Bills "sucked," but they certainly didn't play well.  

And it certainly is true that the Bills have lost too many times to inferior competition.  The Bills have too many games when they should be cruising through the 4th quarter and aren't.  

On the other hand, the mark of a good team is that it finds a way to win when they don't have their A game.  That's what we saw yesterday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I gotta respond to this.  I haven't read the thread, except for a few of the early posts.   

It's not for me to say what OldMan meant when he said "lucky," but I've been trying to use the word "fortunate" instead.  The win wasn't lucky, but the Bills were fortunate to win.  It wasn't a lucky bounce, or a bad call against the Chargers.   But it WAS a game the Bills good have lost.  They were fortunate. 

And it certainly is true that the Bills have lost too many times to inferior competition.  The Bills have too many games when they should be cruising through the 4th quarter and aren't.  

On the other hand, the mark of a good team is that it finds a way to win when they don't have their A game.  That's what we saw yesterday.

I’d appreciate a critical analysis of the difference between lucky and fortunate. 

Since every team in every game every week stands some chance to lose, then I guess all the winning teams are “fortunate” every single week. 

Edited by K-9

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’d appreciate a critical analysis between lucky and fortunate. 

Since every team in every game every week stands some chance to lose, then I guess all the winning teams are “fortunate” every single week. 

Or an answer as to how losing 2/2 fumbles and 1/1 interceptable passed is lucky

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

It's not that we don't know we got some luck, it's that some fail to realize every team gets lucky. Some seem to think only the Bills do. And this is coming from a guy who's been wildly critical of Mcd all year. Every team deals with lucky and unlucky, still wishing for better preparation personally so luck has not as large a role 

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Who the ***** is this guy?

4 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I was there too. It is a gorgeous stadium. I think we can agree that the Chargers' fan base was pathetic, though. Pretty embarrassing when the opposing team (from 2,500 miles away) has a louder fan base than the home team.

I also didn't much care for the way the Chargers' production team directs the game day experience. They try to go for this young, nightclub vibe, with Esther Anaya as their deejay, and all the very loud house music. Very different, I thought, from the Rams games at SoFi.

To be fair,  Esther plays a mean electric violin,  along with being very hot. 

Most of the Bills fans I knew there traveled considerably less than 2500 miles. I drove 400, most were within 100 miles living in SoCal.

Imagine when the Bills were bad,  how many fans would drive to Toronto,  if the team had moved there,  after just giving up 63 points,  2 days before Christmas?

I do hate that vibe though,  it's worse at basketball games.

9 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Lol, Josh was fine yesterday. Because he wasn't perfect, you have a problem with his play, gimme a break!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

And how many games have we been unlucky? Considering the narrative that we can’t win close games my guess is: MANY. Throughout a season it tends to even out. So what’s your point? 

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That’s a better word.  Should have used that one.

1 hour ago, LarryMadman said:

Lol, Josh was fine yesterday. Because he wasn't perfect, you have a problem with his play, gimme a break!

I don’t know how many times I have to say that I love Josh and am glad he’s our QB.  But he wasn’t good in the first half,  threw a bad pick IMHO, but then found Good Josh and won it with the last drive.

43 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

And how many games have we been unlucky? Considering the narrative that we can’t win close games my guess is: MANY. Throughout a season it tends to even out. So what’s your point? 

OP apparently is a person that refuses to admit luck plays a much larger part in wins, losses and teams making the playoffs than one would like to admit.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

To be fair,  Esther plays a mean electric violin,  along with being very hot. 

Most of the Bills fans I knew there traveled considerably less than 2500 miles. I drove 400, most were within 100 miles living in SoCal.

Imagine when the Bills were bad,  how many fans would drive to Toronto,  if the team had moved there,  after just giving up 63 points,  2 days before Christmas?

I do hate that vibe though,  it's worse at basketball games.

Here's a funny little LAMP: I live in Los Angeles, and work in the motion picture industry in set lighting. A couple years ago, I did one of her music videos, and yeah... she's hot, and a legit musician. Also super nice.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don’t know how many times I have to say that I love Josh and am glad he’s our QB.  But he wasn’t good in the first half,  threw a bad pick IMHO, but then found Good Josh and won it with the last drive.

I'm the one who earlier this year was on Josh for still not taking the easy throw and going for broke.  The INT was a poor decision.  He had better, much higher percentage options, including, I think, running.   But the other thing I've said about Josh is that the reason we want him is for six or eight plays a game, and the team has to trust him to decide when it's time for one of those plays.   On that throw, he decided it was time.   He should have run, but if I'm the coach I'm giving him latitude to make that play.   It was a bigger risk, but a similar play as the TD to Davis, and we all were OK with his deciding to go long that time.  

And you're right, he missed several throws in the first half.  It looked to me as though he was spending so much of his brain energy thinking about the play that he sort of forgot to focus on the quality of his throws.  Obviously, I can't read his mind, but he didn't seem focused on his throws.  

• Agree 1

Man was Miami “lucky” in their game today-won by 2, last second field goal, needed 5 field goals just to be in the game (including a 50+ yarder), team didn’t play well….means they won this game purely on luck right? 

Edited by Ya Digg?
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

OP apparently is a person that refuses to admit luck plays a much larger part in wins, losses and teams making the playoffs than one would like to admit.

That way overstates.  The 49ers and Panthers aren't where they are because of luck.   The better teams win more games.  The Bills just haven't been the better team for many games. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Man was Miami “lucky” in their game today-won by 2, last second field goal, needed 5 field goals just to be in the game (including a 50+ yarder), team didn’t play well….means they won this game purely on luck right? 

Given our sterling history in close games how do you think these chips fall come playoff time? 

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

That way overstates.  The 49ers and Panthers aren't where they are because of luck.   The better teams win more games.  The Bills just haven't been the better team for many games. 

So far the only teams that look good consistently are Baltimore, San Francisco and Cleveland. 

The Bills defense has been good but their offense is very inconsistent from game to game. 

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm the one who earlier this year was on Josh for still not taking the easy throw and going for broke.  The INT was a poor decision.  He had better, much higher percentage options, including, I think, running.   But the other thing I've said about Josh is that the reason we want him is for six or eight plays a game, and the team has to trust him to decide when it's time for one of those plays.   On that throw, he decided it was time.   He should have run, but if I'm the coach I'm giving him latitude to make that play.   It was a bigger risk, but a similar play as the TD to Davis, and we all were OK with his deciding to go long that time.  

And you're right, he missed several throws in the first half.  It looked to me as though he was spending so much of his brain energy thinking about the play that he sort of forgot to focus on the quality of his throws.  Obviously, I can't read his mind, but he didn't seem focused on his throws.  

Good points Shaw.  Only thing I’d say is throwing back into the middle of the field is fraught with peril much of the time.  But he was Good Josh that last drive for sure.

11 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Is Chuang Tzu a man dreaming he's a butterfly?  Or a butterfly dreaming he's a man?

Why do old man fans think they have a monopoly on reality?  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

it's a huge component yes

for example-

Bengals have fumbled 9 times and lost 2

Dolphins have fumbled 22 times and lost 9

Niners have fumbled the ball 13 times and lost 5

all on the +side of luck

on the more negative side-

Bills have fumbled the ball 17 times and lost 9

that is pure variance in a game played w a prolate spheroid

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Ok, to all flaming me, I’ll take the hits.  Lucky was the wrong word; as Shaw said fortunate would have been better.  I just want the Bills to win it all like everyone here, and when they play like they did yesterday they won’t make it.  

I still remember sitting with my dad and brother just shy of my 5th birthday, at the first game at the Rockpile in 1960.  I had the joy of watching them win the two AFL championships, the misery of the late 60’s and early 70’s, the joy then of OJ in his prime.  I’ve had the misery of coaches like Hank Bullough and Rex Ryan, and the joy of Lou Saban and Marv and maybe Sean.   The misery of GMs like Harvey Johnson and Tom Donahue and the joy of Polian and Beane.  The Super Bowl years, and the playoff run now with Josh leading the way. I’ve seen it all and lived it all.

And the constant through all this is the fan base.  All of us love our Bills even when they drive us batty.  Last night’s game drove me batty so I reacted by my post.  And other Mafia took me to task.  And that is as it should be.

Merry Christmas to my fellow fans.  Here’s to victory in ‘24!

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, 4th&long said:

If Toney’s foot isn’t over the line we are not in the playoffs right now.

How do you even know? that there was plenty of time left in the game to score after that td…not to mention Toney committed an obvious opi on that play too 

how bout the ne ineligible man downfield flag pickup and the clear jets trip on their punt return week 1 that both hosed us

22 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

So far the only teams that look good consistently are Baltimore, San Francisco and Cleveland. 

The Bills defense has been good but their offense is very inconsistent from game to game. 

Cleveland is a stretch imo…Flacco turns the ball over a ton..  they got smoked by the broncos and rams and just snuck by the ice cold jags and bears…good game today though. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.