Daquan Jones’ 21-day practice window has been opened, per McD

Roundybout

If that is what this is about, I hope they don't rush him.

They're rolling right now and can afford to ease him back in very slowly.

Waiting to dress him for the Miami game would give them a nice bump and allow him another few weeks to heal.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

Waiting to dress him for the Miami game would give them a nice bump and allow him another few weeks to heal.

Healed is one thing, ready to meaningfully contribute is another.  See; Miller, Von .

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

Injury and surgery for Phillips might push his time frame up.

I don't think he would play if he wasn't ready.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Huuge, if true, even if he is at 70, 80% for a game or two.

Putting even more pressure on QBs and greatly enhancing the run defense.

If not this week, then hopefully next?

Great timing , as it gives him some time to get up to speed and get ready  for some serious squishing soon...

To me, it is all about the strength of both lines.  Looking very very good lately, and overall this year, but this would enable the defense to take a big step forward now.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Healed is one thing, ready to meaningfully contribute is another.  See; Miller, Von .

You’re not wrong…  But players tend to come back much more slowly from ACL’s than pecs.

For example, TJ Watt had 10 tackles, 2 QB hits and an INT in his first two games back from a pec tear last year.

Milano had a sack, 5 tackles, 1 TFL, and 3 QB hits in his first two games back after he came back from his pec tear in 2020.

Because of the position he plays and the leverage he needs, this may be different for D Jones. But in general, we have seen players hit the ground running after a pec return.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

What a great return this would be. 

With the D playing like they did this past week who would you sit ? Or would they put Hyde on IR to allow Jones to come back ? 

The Bills have some really good players that if put on the practice squad they may not be there very long, If they were to put Shorter on PS i think another team would steal him in a heart beat & then with Poona being a healthy scratch most of the time .

This would be a tough decision to make with all the talent they have & them playing at this level with in the D & finally it's looking as if they have it figured out for the most part .

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

I imagine packages with both Jones and Joseph in the middle on obvious running downs. If Daquan could be somewhat close to his old self, that’s a tough one to run against. 

That’s a lotta beef in the middle.  Having them rotate all game will let Oliver keep feasting.  It would be a really nice boost for the final stretch here.  

8 minutes ago, T master said:

With the D playing like they did this past week who would you sit ? Or would they put Hyde on IR to allow Jones to come back ? 

The Bills have some really good players that if put on the practice squad they may not be there very long, If they were to put Shorter on PS i think another team would steal him in a heart beat & then with Poona being a healthy scratch most of the time .

This would be a tough decision to make with all the talent they have & them playing at this level with in the D & finally it's looking as if they have it figured out for the most part .

If Phillips misses time with his wrist this would be a welcome upgrade 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

The Bills are usually pretty conservative. They don't rush people back.

• Agree 1

Coming back and finishing strong could mean an entirely different contract for him in free agency.

If he missed the rest of the year he might have been looking at as little as one of those $1.7M one year deals due to not finishing either of the last two seasons.........but if he were to come back and continue the level of play he showed early in the season he might get a multi-year deal with 8 figures in guarantees.   For a guy who played most of his career for $600K-$4M per season(only getting a bump in Buffalo for 2 years) that would be a big finish for him.

• Agree 1

DLine has been playing nicely in his absence, but his presence on the field is enormous. He resets the interior LOS back 2 yards every play. Commands double teams. Don't have to blitz on 3rd and longs. He makes the whole team better at every level. Him being out last year in the playoff game vs Cincinnati was detrimental imo. If he played, I feel like our chances to slow down their offense are greatly increased and we win that game. One of my favorite players. 

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Is this a fact?

Has not been announced by the team yet. I think he just meant "if its announced then his window opens up now and he can start practicing and then the Bills have 21 days from now to add him to the roster or he goes on IR for the year"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mynamemike said:

That’s a lotta beef in the middle.  Having them rotate all game will let Oliver keep feasting.  It would be a really nice boost for the final stretch here.  

I think that’s more realistic, we can’t forget where Joseph came from.  Relying on him to last the whole season at a high level is a risk at best, I’d rather have him play at 100% for 50% of his current snaps than 75% on any of them, assuming Jones is ready to go 100% for his reps of course.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Knox's reactivation and immediate insertion into the lineup aside, given the way these things usually go for the Bills, Jones should be ready to meaningfully contribute by Easter 2024. 😃

4 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Let Poona play this weekend.. Gives Jones two weeks of practice to get ready for Pats game New Year’s Eve 

Glad we've got Ford waiting in the wings. He hasn't been terribly effective when he's been out there, but he's an established guy and you hope he can return to form. Nice to have him on the roster this whole time.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

You’re not wrong…  But players tend to come back much more slowly from ACL’s than pecs.

For example, TJ Watt had 10 tackles, 2 QB hits and an INT in his first two games back from a pec tear last year.

Milano had a sack, 5 tackles, 1 TFL, and 3 QB hits in his first two games back after he came back from his pec tear in 2020.

Because of the position he plays and the leverage he needs, this may be different for D Jones. But in general, we have seen players hit the ground running after a pec return.

I’m optimistic he can come back and play at a high level.  Comparing what a NT has to do vs what a LB does is not similar.  Watt and Milano can make an impact simply by being in the right place at the right time, Jones has to maul his was past a 300+lb man EVERY snap, hand fighting the entire time.  Full strength in your limbs is vastly more important.   It sure would be great to have him back and making an impact going into the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Knox's reactivation and immediate insertion into the lineup aside, given the way these things usually go for the Bills, Jones should be ready to meaningfully contribute by Easter 2024. 😃

Until he's inevitably injured on Labor Day. :doh:

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.