League owners expected to award SB LXI (61) to Los Angeles in 2027

chongli

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39104280/sources-super-bowl-lxi-played-sofi-stadium-la

From the article:

"The game will be televised by ESPN and ABC. It will be ESPN's first Super Bowl telecast and ABC's first telecast of the game since Super Bowl XL in February 2006.

[...]

The league will sandwich the Super Bowl between the World Cup in 2026, when Los Angeles will be one of 16 North American host cities, and the Summer Olympic Games in 2028, giving Los Angeles a tripleheader of mega sporting events that will make it one of the sports capitals of the world."

LOL:

Edited by chongli

5 hours ago, chongli said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39104280/sources-super-bowl-lxi-played-sofi-stadium-la

From the article:

"The game will be televised by ESPN and ABC. It will be ESPN's first Super Bowl telecast and ABC's first telecast of the game since Super Bowl XL in February 2006.

[...]

The league will sandwich the Super Bowl between the World Cup in 2026, when Los Angeles will be one of 16 North American host cities, and the Summer Olympic Games in 2028, giving Los Angeles a tripleheader of mega sporting events that will make it one of the sports capitals of the world."

LOL:

That looks like just last Tuesday night to me.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

can't even imagine a SB in WNY in the first week of Feb. OMG. what a disaster that would be with an outdoor stadium

Even with a dome and enough hotel rooms, I’d think it would be too big of a risk because of potential blizzard conditions hitting.  As most know, blizzard hits, no one is even getting to the stadium.

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Even with a dome and enough hotel rooms, I’d think it would be too big of a risk because of potential blizzard conditions hitting.  As most know, blizzard hits, no one is even getting to the stadium.

in a weird sort of way a snowy SB would be kind of fun.. very different

6 hours ago, djp14150 said:

the bigger shock….if they actually do the Super Bowl on Valentine’s Day that year.

It has never been held on a Valentine's Day before. It was held on February 13 in 2022, a day before Valentine's Day. Women complained a lot on Tik Tok, apparently:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/super-bowl-2022-valentines-day-weekend-b2012012.html

People are not happy after learning the 2022 Super Bowl will take place Valentine’s Day weekend

valentines.jpg?quality=75&width=990&crop

“I wanna talk to whoever decided that Super Bowl Sunday was on Valentine’s Day weekend because they are def single,” one woman named Elena, who goes by the username @elenaa_l10, wrote on TikTok, as she mouthed: “What’s going on?”:

In another video from a woman named Ava, who goes by the username @definetlynotava8, she wrote: “To the person that moved the Super Bowl to Valentine’s Day weekend… I don’t think you understand how much you ruined.”

There are lots more in the link above. I never understood why this day was such a big deal.

Edited by chongli

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It would not make a difference - not enough rooms.

And we have enough d0mehead fans to make up not having a dome.

I never understood the "not enough rooms" thing. I think I heard there needs to be 200,000 hotel rooms available within a 40 mile radius from the stadium. You mean to tell me between Orchard Park, all of Buffalo and downtown Buffalo, Amherst, Niagara Falls, Canada and all other areas around the stadium that they can't find 200,000 hotel rooms? 40 miles is a long enough distance and in just Downtown Buffalo alone would have a lot there already 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I never understood the "not enough rooms" thing. I think I heard there needs to be 200,000 hotel rooms available within a 40 mile radius from the stadium. You mean to tell me between Orchard Park, all of Buffalo and downtown Buffalo, Amherst, Niagara Falls, Canada and all other areas around the stadium that they can't find 200,000 hotel rooms? 40 miles is a long enough distance and in just Downtown Buffalo alone would have a lot there already 

There are a lot of things that Buffalo does not check the box for...

First the hotel room rule would only apply to Buffalo and surrounding New York areas... You need a passport or a New York State enhanced license to get into Canada which negates the Canadian hotels ... They can't count Canadian hotels when most people don't have an enhanced license or a passport

There is also a 50° minimum for the month and the city in which it's played... Unless it's given a special waiver which New York City was given... The average temperature in Buffalo in February is like 39°... Too cold 

The league also says the city must have an indoor convention center that holds at least 850,000 square feet... I don't think any convention center in Buffalo is close to that

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

There is also a 50° minimum for the month and the city in which it's played... Unless it's given a special waiver which New York City was given... The average temperature in Buffalo in February is like 39°... Too cold 

Was that rule in effect when Minneapolis held SB XXVI in 1992? Or when Detroit had it? 

4 minutes ago, chongli said:

Was that rule in effect when Minneapolis held SB XXVI in 1992? Or when Detroit had it? 

Weren't they in domes?

That only applies to open air... If Buffalo had a dome and checked all 15 boxes

It would hypothetically be possible

The problem is I think they only check like 12-15

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

There's many reasons that Buffalo would never host a Super Bowl but from the Hotel aspect they are talking about Luxury hotels.  The NFL isn't going to shack up the high rollers that attend the Super Bowl at the Red Carpet Inn in Orchard Park.  Just ask Tom Brady's Dad about this. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It would not make a difference - not enough rooms.

And we have enough d0mehead fans to make up not having a dome.

Did the math a few years ago. At the time we were just over the amount of rooms needed but weren’t sure if Niagara Falls Canada would be counted because of the border. If they are we have enough. 

4 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

They need to fill that multi-billion dollar palace somehow. 

I heard all chargers fans can go to that SB for free but they don’t expect that to affect ticket sales in any significant way.  

I heard all chargers fans can go to that SB for free but they don’t expect that to affect ticket sales in any significant way.  

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Weren't they in domes?

That only applies to open air... If Buffalo had a dome and checked all 15 boxes

It would hypothetically be possible

The problem is I think they only check like 12-15

The only issues I remember off the top of my head were golf courses and Dome. They want a few courses to play on around the game and I doubt they’ll want to play in the cold with mud or snow. 

edit- they want 70000 seat stadium and new one is smaller than that. 

Quick look before I go to work said Minnesota made offer with 17,000 rooms and another thing said nfl wanted 20,000 rooms from New Orleans. As of 2014 we had 17,664 hotel rooms in Erie and Niagara Falls NY(couldn’t get a date on falls numbers). Article said within an hour drive. So you can add in Batavia(some classy hotels there for patriots owner), parts of Rochester and ellicottville. Now we’re pretty close. That doesn’t include anything built in Erie county in the last 8 years either. 

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

There's many reasons that Buffalo would never host a Super Bowl but from the Hotel aspect they are talking about Luxury hotels.  The NFL isn't going to shack up the high rollers that attend the Super Bowl at the Red Carpet Inn in Orchard Park.  Just ask Tom Brady's Dad about this. 

How long ago did Tom Brady’s dad comment on the hotels? A lot have been built since then. Some are very nice. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

25 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The only issues I remember off the top of my head were golf courses and Dome. They want a few courses to play on around the game and I doubt they’ll want to play in the cold with mud or snow.

How long ago did Tom Brady’s dad comment on the hotels? A lot have been built since then. Some are very nice. 

That's fair.  I believe that comment was somewhere around 2010-2012?  

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are a lot of things that Buffalo does not check the box for...

First the hotel room rule would only apply to Buffalo and surrounding New York areas... You need a passport or a New York State enhanced license to get into Canada which negates the Canadian hotels ... They can't count Canadian hotels when most people don't have an enhanced license or a passport

The league also says the city must have an indoor convention center that holds at least 850,000 square feet... I don't think any convention center in Buffalo is close to that

I'm talking about how people said "even if it's a dome, their aren't enough rooms". I'm speaking on behalf of it being a dome. I know it's too cold in February to host it outside. Even if you took away Canadian hotels, that would only be a small portion, just between Orchard Park and Niagara Falls alone, they should be able to find a decent amount of rooms. That's not counting 40 miles in the other directions like East Aurora, and areas south of the Stadium. 40 miles is a lot of area to cover. Like I said, just Downtown Buffalo alone, should have a lot of those rooms. I'm not sure how big our convention center is but I'm not sure why that matters. Why do people needs to go to a convention center to go to a Super Bowl?

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

I'm talking about how people said "even if it's a dome, their aren't enough rooms". I'm speaking on behalf of it being a dome. I know it's too cold in February to host it outside. Even if you took away Canadian hotels, that would only be a small portion, just between Orchard Park and Niagara Falls alone, they should be able to find a decent amount of rooms. That's not counting 40 miles in the other directions like East Aurora, and areas south of the Stadium. 40 miles is a lot of area to cover. Like I said, just Downtown Buffalo alone, should have a lot of those rooms. I'm not sure how big our convention center is but I'm not sure why that matters. Why do people needs to go to a convention center to go to a Super Bowl?

NFL does a lot of events the week of the game. They want bowling alleys, golf courses and a large convention center along with a bunch of other things. 

57 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

NFL does a lot of events the week of the game. They want bowling alleys, golf courses and a large convention center along with a bunch of other things. 

The Bowling alleys I think we got. At least it seems like it lol. Golf courses would be too cold. But they hosted a Super Bowl in NYC before and have done Super Bowls in places like Minnesota and all that where it's way too cold to do outside activities. None of that stuff mattered

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

The Bowling alleys I think we got. At least it seems like it lol. Golf courses would be too cold. But they hosted a Super Bowl in NYC before and have done Super Bowls in places like Minnesota and all that where it's way too cold to do outside activities. None of that stuff mattered

The only real issue is the lack of a dome and seating capacity. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

There are 2,385 hotel rooms in Buffalo.  This includes tiny boutiques as well as large hotels, and it includes the entire city, not just downtown.  That's roughly 1% of the total needed.  I don't think the other 99% can be found in the surrounding area even if we include NF Ont.

Edited by Offside Number 76

20 hours ago, boyst said:

They need to go back to neutral sites.

There are not too many big cities without NFL teams, though.  Maybe, Chicago?

Los Angeles is a neutral site. Have you seen a Chargers home game? 😂

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Your average NFL fan doesn’t want to go to Buffalo in February. They just don’t. Thats not going to change no matter how many hotel rooms they can cobble together. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

not sure red roof inn qualifies.

59 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The only real issue is the lack of a dome and seating capacity. 

and what people will do once they get to Buffalo. There's nothing to do. Walk around Orchard Park in February?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Offside Number 76 said:

There are 2,385 hotel rooms in Buffalo.  This includes tiny boutiques as well as large hotels, and it includes the entire city, not just downtown.  That's roughly 1% of the total needed.  I don't think the other 99% can be found in the surrounding area even if we include NF Ont.

It will happen now of course, but the only chance Buffalo would have had to get a Super Bowl is a dome stadium and promote Toronto as the big city nearby with stuff to do as well as hotel space for people to stay at. But even then, it would be a risk to have the Super Bowl in Buffalo with the weather at that time of year. You get one of those big snowstorms/blizzards and how would people get to the game. Bottom line Buffalo will never get a Super Bowl and shouldn't.

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

It will happen now of course, but the only chance Buffalo would have had to get a Super Bowl is a dome stadium and promote Toronto as the big city nearby with stuff to do as well as hotel space for people to stay at. But even then, it would be a risk to have the Super Bowl in Buffalo with the weather at that time of year. You get one of those big snowstorms/blizzards and how would people get to the game. Bottom line Buffalo will never get a Super Bowl and shouldn't.

Have the Super Bowl in Buffalo, stay 2 hours away in Toronto because it's fun there.  Great sales pitch.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

It doesn't need to be at the Red Carpet Inn. There are plenty of Hilton hotels around and Mariotts and stuff around the area plenty nice enough

23 minutes ago, klos63 said:

and what people will do once they get to Buffalo. There's nothing to do. Walk around Orchard Park in February?

Not referring to the Red Roof Inn

26 minutes ago, klos63 said:

There's nothing to do in Downtown Buffalo and stuff?

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.