Can we work out some punters?

ngbills

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Martin is awful. He is bottom of the pack in gross and net yards. He is in the bottom half in punts inside the 20. Bring in some competition. 

Maybe he's punting closer to the opponents end zone than the other punters?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I've been wondering if we couldn't sign Araiza back.  I'm betting this has been discussed before but....I mean, he was innocent right?

I may be off base I don't recall exactly how the drama ended.  I know VD was involved but isn't it always?

He has been cleared and removed from the lawsuits. Bring him back

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Martin is awful. He is bottom of the pack in gross and net yards. He is in the bottom half in punts inside the 20. Bring in some competition. 

He leaves a LOT to be desired.  Actually the entire Special Teams unit leaves a lot to be desired.  Unless they do something really big during the last part of the season, I’d expect some shakeups into next year

• Agree 2

It didn't get mentioned anywhere that I am aware of, but I thought KC made a very bad strategic desision. None of Bass' kicks reached the end zone, yet they fair caught every one. Given how mediocre our coverage has been, I don't see why they wouldn't have tried to return a couple. (Look how successful they were on that punt return.)

We're not the only team with questionable coaching!!

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I've been wondering if we couldn't sign Araiza back.  I'm betting this has been discussed before but....I mean, he was innocent right?

I may be off base I don't recall exactly how the drama ended.  I know VD was involved but isn't it always?

Innocent 100% like nothing happened. He deserves another chance. I don’t think he would come back to the Bills after we released him tho. 

Bills really had no choice but to release him. The details were so grotesque initially it would’ve been a massive distraction. 

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

He had 2nd lowest number of punts after 13 games.  Hes not at the bottom for the categories you listed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Per punt

yes

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Who says this was an Araiza thread?? 😂😉

1.  there was already a thread about martin

2. it appeared after the latest of an infinite number of Araiza threads appeared

3.  come on...

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, ngbills said:

You likely don’t find a punter in December better than the guy you’ve rostered. 

I think there is a shot they bring Araiza back this summer to compete, but they likely don’t do it right now with the Von situation and McD article still in the news. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Predictable first post... As it should be!

We have a really bad punter now (dead last in punting avg)

Last year we cut a guy called "punt god" because of what turned out to be false accusations.

Seems like a no-brainer

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The problem you run into is he holds for Bass and they have been working on it all year long. A change this late in the season messes up Bass more than it messes up Martin or the Punt Unit.

Someone came up with signing a punter to the PS and I don't think thats a bad idea whether Araiza or someone else. Araiza at least has some short term knowledge of how Bass likes the ball placed.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

Innocent 100% like nothing happened. He deserves another chance. I don’t think he would come back to the Bills after we released him tho. 

Bills really had no choice but to release him. The details were so grotesque initially it would’ve been a massive distraction. 

Even Cleveland would have released a punter with those allegations.  He wouldn't go back to the team that went out of their way to draft him, and tried to hold off on releasing him to wait for details to come out?  The team got dragged through the mud for not cutting him sooner, so I think he'd understand and appreciate that the team resisted letting him go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

You likely don’t find a punter in December better than the guy you’ve rostered. 

I think there is a shot they bring Araiza back this summer to compete, but they likely don’t do it right now with the Von situation and McD article still in the news. 

Michael Turk is worth a shot. Was a holder in college and as well. 

Corliss Waitman was released from NE practice squad. He beat out Martin for the job in DEN when the Bills signed Martin. Has also been a holder. 

Call Araiza and see if he is looking for a job. 

This fanbase is so silly far too often. Martin has a 36.8% inside the 20 yard line this season against a career 36.6. That is incredible. It's better than Shane Lechler. He's all time elite at that skill and puts him up there with the all time greats at placement kicking. He's also top 17 all time in net average for punters with more than 500 punts and even higher when you consider most of the top guys were in the 50s and 60s.

Stop acting like he's a bad punter. He's elite having a less than career year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.