James Cook's Kamara-esque game...

Special K

10 carries 58 yards

5 catches 83 yards 1 TD

I remember reading somewhere that James Cook said in an interview that he wants to model his game after Alvin Kamara.....well he sure did a good job of that today!

Having a dynamic RB that can both run and catch passes out of the backfield is the perfect type of RB for a QB like Josh Allen.

I hope Cook continues to grow and improve, and that this game was the first step in his becoming that Kamara-esque RB for the Bills he wants to be!!!

• Like (+1) 21
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Felt Brady got away from run game for some reason. Chiefs got pass rush going .. enough of the wasted sideways bubble crap screens. 

Especially if Diggs is going to drop every single one of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Felt Brady got away from run game for some reason. Chiefs got pass rush going .. enough of the wasted sideways bubble crap screens. 

Screens are about numbers. You see the Chiefs do it right that one play. 5 blockers and 2 defenders. We’re so often outnumbered on ours. 

It’s basic football and the main thing Belichick’s dad talks about in his book. Fundamental knowledge. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Screens are about numbers. You see the Chiefs do it right that one play. 5 blockers and 2 defenders. We’re so often outnumbered on ours. 

It’s basic football and the main thing Belichick’s dad talks about in his book. Fundamental knowledge. 

I have no problems with screens .. Bills just can’t do it well. 

Edited by QLBillsFan
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Special K said:

10 carries 58 yards

5 catches 83 yards 1 TD

I remember reading somewhere that James Cook said in an interview that he wants to model his game after Alvin Kamara.....well he sure did a good job of that today!

Having a dynamic RB that can both run and catch passes out of the backfield is the perfect type of RB for a QB like Josh Allen.

I hope Cook continues to grow and improve, and that this game was the first step in his becoming that Kamara-esque RB for the Bills he wants to be!!!

Cook is the first Bill since Thurman Thomas to be that dual threat.  Of course Thurman was also great in every other aspect of the game as well.  He could maybe give Cook a few pointers on pass pro.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We ran that wr screen 6 times. It worked once.  This isn't college, NFL dbs are way too fast.

Yeah, and that is probably a Joe Brady, legendary college OC problem.

Hopefully he learns from the results today.  

• Like (+1) 1

WR screens work against us because we play soft coverage on the outside, there’s space for the opposing receivers and blockers to work. Conversely, we can’t get them to work against teams like the Chiefs that play up and challenge receivers at the LoS. Theres no space to go to work after catching the ball, there’s a defender right there. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Cook is the first Bill since Thurman Thomas to be that dual threat.  Of course Thurman was also great in every other aspect of the game as well.  He could maybe give Cook a few pointers on pass pro.

Utah, you’re as always right, but Cook is more of a Scat Back, and not as powerful as the Thurmonator.  Not sure of you guys remember that nickname.   Cook can become incredible in time, and just needs a compliment of a banger.  Right now we have Murray, and Fournette even though IMO he’s finished.  Maybe Johnson can be that guy.

What we really need is a 2nd WR.  I’d trade up a bunch of picks to get one of the top guys, but depends on the chart as people still follow the J. Johnson chart.  If we get the WR, we have the line, the TE’s, RB for the most part, and for sure the QB.  Davis needs to go.  He’s done fine for now, but just not consistent.  We need more.  Cincy has 3 top WR’s.  Seattle has 3 top WR’s.  We need at least a 2nd, and Shakir can be a good slot #3.

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Send an Email to Marcia, because he took Cook out of the game in the second half.  Imagine Cook's numbers if he actually played in the 2nd half!!

Made no sense and never heard about Cook getting nicked up or something .  Brady disappointed me yesterday seemed like he is trying to force the screen game.  We were running ball and he never went play action and has Josh mostly in shotgun.  I do like seeing more motion but damn it for years we motion Davis into center and 99.99999% of time run.  Gotta start throwing once in a while time to do some self scouting.

• Like (+1) 1

Cook is the best back we have had since Thurman - maybe tied with Shady - Honestly billieve we will be watching him for some time - just so well rounded- let's keep him going - offensive future of Kincaid/Shakira/Cook doesn't look bad at all for the up and comers- now just need another WR

Cook is 211 yards rushing from a 1,000 yard season. He's 4th on the team with 38 receptions (1 behind Gabe Davis, our #2 WR) for almost 400 yards. He's on pace for over 1,500 total yards. We haven't seen that since Shady. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m watching him have this monster game and thinking boom there is the mismatch I was looking for with Diggs and Gabe taking some attention and now I thought it would be Kincaid 

so they did a great job and - lo and behold he’s got us a 14 pt lead!

ok let’s put 26 in now ?

why on earth did they “pull” him….dude should have had 250+ himself he was unstoppable 

21 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Right now he's probably our most dynamic weapon

Funny - people were running him out of town last week becuase he dropped one against the eagles 

2 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

I’m watching him have this monster game and thinking boom there is the mismatch I was looking for with Diggs and Gabe taking some attention and now I thought it would be Kincaid 

so they did a great job and - lo and behold he’s got us a 14 pt lead!

ok let’s put 26 in now ?

why on earth did they “pull” him….dude should have had 250+ himself he was unstoppable 

Funny - people were running him out of town last week becuase he dropped one against the eagles 

People said a lot of stupid stuff after the Eagles loss

• Thank you (+1) 1

So was it working too good and we wanted to make the game harder? Dude should have had 200 yards. He was unstoppable. 

the only team that hold Cook back is the Bills. Just happy they are finally throwing him the ball. 

9 hours ago, BananaB said:

My wife call him the Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster had some serious demons. No one should like cookies that much. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Exactly, it seems every time we run one of these screens the defense has us outnumbered from the get go, yet when teams run this play against us it seems we rarely outnumber the opposing offense.

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Send an Email to Marcia, because he took Cook out of the game in the second half.  Imagine Cook's numbers if he actually played in the 2nd half!!

Imagine Cook’s numbers if he could actually pass protect so they didn’t have to replace him to keep Josh from getting killed.

• Disagree 1

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Cook is a baller but he HAS to get better at pass pro because in key 3rd downs he has to come off the field too often because he is terrible at blocking and has whiffed far too many times this year on them.

We gotta take the good and the bad unfortunately. The good is really good and far outweighs the bad. He’s just too light  to anchor in pass pro. As Diggs once said

” whitch yo little shirt” 🤣

Just now, 26TrapDraw said:

We gotta take the good and the bad unfortunately. The good is really good and far outweighs the bad. He’s just too light  to anchor in pass pro. As Diggs once said

” whitch yo little shirt” 🤣

It's all about dropping your hips in that spot...he still doesn't do it very well and stays too high.

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

The clock management after the KC penalty.. yikes. It’s a high % that Diggs catches the pass but it hasn’t worked all day. A run moves the clock to the 2 minute warning. Just not the right play call in that situation. 

I’m really sorry for hijacking a thread. Really I am. I’m glad we got the win. And overall it was a good game. I don’t have many complaints. But I do have complaints about this point. At that point so close to the 2min warning it was finally time to kill some clock and they did the opposite of what I thought they were going to do. I’m not sure who’s to blame. Brady or McD. But the situational awareness was not there in that spot again. 

back to the topic at hand. Cook played amazing. Not sure why he was taken out of the game plan by the 2nd half. He looked like he could have been on pace for 200+ and 2TDs or more. Kind of a shame 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

The clock management after the KC penalty.. yikes. It’s a high % that Diggs catches the pass but it hasn’t worked all day. A run moves the clock to the 2 minute warning. Just not the right play call in that situation. 

From what i read online - RPO and the WLB crashes so its 2 blockers vs 2 DBs.  

Read is right and if he catches it he probably gains a few and the clock runs to the 2 minute warning.  After that you can ideally run to get that first down and kill timeouts and potentially kick a game winner with no time.  

The other thought is - get 7 so they need 7.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.