Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Of course it’s true. It’s like that everywhere.

Hi Yolo. Happy to see your name pop-up.

Have to disagree though. I was listening to a Jets press conference a few days ago and their media was tearing into Saleh like a pack of dogs on a salisbury steak.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloMatt said:

What exactly was the point he was trying to make by dredging up a non-issue incident from 4 years ago? It was to make McD look bad, as was the purpose of the whole article. Yes, it was a poor choice of an analogy but a stretch to use as an example of poor comunication. Dunne's intent was apparent and it clearly got the reaction he was hoping for. 

It was ONE example of a dozen instances of poor communication and behavior cited by Dunne. Did he title the piece "Sean McDermott Celebrates 9/11 Terrorists' Execution and Communication?" No, because it was a minor thing in the piece and people are WAY too focused on it versus other weird stuff in there, like bagging on Chad Hall for being loved by players.

On 12/7/2023 at 11:26 AM, JohnNord said:

This is where the “meddling” narrative never made sense.  If he is so controlling, wouldn’t he micromanage Joe Brady the same way he “micromanaged” Dorsey?  

I don’t buy that Dorsey was a scapegoat at all.  We saw 6 weeks where the offense struggled badly.  Over the past two weeks, it’s looked better.

If he tells Brady to let Allen run then Dorsey takes the blame and McDummy looks right. 

10 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Those who follow the sabres know this is 100% true

Granted most if not all of the media in buffalo sucks so it's kind of warranted lol 

Name a major sports franchise that tolerates anyone making the team look bad? This isn't a government body where access is a right. 

1 hour ago, beer can shower said:

My post did NOT say whether Dunne's story was absolute truth or false.

Aside from being a writer, any other reason if any, why Dunne wrote that article is only speculation.

It points out that Hyde is an employee under McDermott, who NEEDS McDermott to okay to bring him back next year under another contract.

Would anyone think a negative comment from Hyde would sit well with McDermott?  Anyone?

So, basically you're saying Micah Hyde, a person who has shown nothing but class and integrity in the last, what, 7 years now in Buffalo..... is a whimpering little kiss ass? That he lacks the self confidence and belief that should he not be with the Bills next year NONE of the other 31 teams would take him. That he could have answered it in any manner he wished, even to say something vanilla such as "We as a team are focusing on the Chiefs." but chose to give a solid and super character endorsement to McDermott because he NEEDS to be back in Buffalo....even though the article says players are wanting to leave in droves? Makes a ton of sense....

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I think you accidentally summarize the issue I have McD. Andy Reid was considered a terrible game manager before he met Patrick Mahomes. McD already has Josh Allen, where is there to go from here? Andy Reid went to a Super Bowl with Donovan McNabb. McD is getting nowhere with Josh Allen. Andy Reid may be overrated for all I know, but it’s the QB who took him places. If one believes McD can evolve like Reid, Allen must not be the QB I think he is. 

Article or not, I have to imagine McDermott will be judged how this last stretch plays out.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Name a major sports franchise that tolerates anyone making the team look bad? This isn't a government body where access is a right. 

Interesting enough, the Buffalo Bills are ok with someone making the team look bad as long as they used to be a great EDGE rusher.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, basically you're saying Micah Hyde, a person who has shown nothing but class and integrity in the last, what, 7 years now in Buffalo..... is a whimpering little kiss ass? That he lacks the self confidence and belief that should he not be with the Bills next year NONE of the other 31 teams would take him. That he could have answered it in any manner he wished, even to say something vanilla such as "We as a team are focusing on the Chiefs." but chose to give a solid and super character endorsement to McDermott because he NEEDS to be back in Buffalo....even though the article says players are wanting to leave in droves? Makes a ton of sense....

So basically, YOU'RE saying....[insert something he is literally not saying and then get upset at your own ridiculous attributions]. Makes a ton of sense!

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, wettlaufer said:

It was ONE example of a dozen instances of poor communication and behavior cited by Dunne. Did he title the piece "Sean McDermott Celebrates 9/11 Terrorists' Execution and Communication?" No, because it was a minor thing in the piece and people are WAY too focused on it versus other weird stuff in there, like bagging on Chad Hall for being loved by players.

That's why he lessened his credibility by using something that he didn't need to use. But instead he chose to use it and that shows his intent. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

NO, I am not saying ANY of that!!

Those are YOUR WORDS to make your response to my post DRAMATIC.

Again, did anyone expect a present player to come out now in public and criticize McDermott?  Even one looking to return for what 5 mil?

I doubt it.

That's what makes sense......

• Like (+1) 1

Coaches are pretty nutty in general.  And we want them to be to an extent - we want them to be obsessive, and live this stuff 24x7, which takes a certain kind of person.

If they win, it's all okay.  When they don't, it's not.  If won a SB the 13 seconds year, and were in line for the 1 seed right now, none of this would be much of a thing.

Just now, beer can shower said:

NO, I am not saying ANY of that!!

Those are YOUR WORDS to make your response to my post DRAMATIC.

Again, did anyone expect a present player to come out now in public and criticize McDermott?  Even one looking to return for what 5 mil?

I doubt it.

That's what makes sense......

No, you are literally inferring that. You're saying he needs to stay in the good graces to possibly come back, correct? Sorry if I put it into terms you don't like.

A current player coming out to flat out criticize? No. But to speak so supportive when he didn't have to address it at all? (This was NOT a mandatory media session, either...) But yes let's just slap it aside because he needs to stay in good graces..now what is it commonly referred to when someone heaps loads of unsolicited praise on their boss....man....if only there was a common term. 

Lots of people projecting a lot of their own personal issues onto McDermott. Every little thing an indictment on his character. 

Lots of people are broken records on here the last few weeks. Saying the same negative things over and over and over again. 

• Like (+1) 2

Admittedly, I haven't read every comment/78 pages up until now.

Why is Dunne releasing this story/article now/right before our biggest game of season?

There's obviously an agenda, even if you aren't convinced by his narrative in general.

Like or dislike McD as our head coach, the article went over the top - on a personal level.  Coaching errors/mismanagement in key situations/etc, fine...but this article went further.  

Creates an unnecessary distraction, during a critical gameplanning/lead up to game.  Wait until end of season/offseason.

Perhaps this is an additional catalyst for our performance, let's hope, but Dunne is dead to me now.  Not that he cares, but it's unprofessional and hope he realizes there is a right way /time/more appropriate way to go about this.  Not to mention interviewing some "pro-McD" sources, but perhaps they don't wanna waste their time with someone like Dunne.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Because it would not fit the narrative. Dunne has an axe fo grind.

Dunne is one of the most respected up and coming writers in NFL circles. In fact everything he puts out there is very thought provoking and detailed.

As for Hyde's comments, he's currently on the team and obviously not going to trash his head coach. And to be frank, he's one of many players this team should have already cut bait with as he's overpaid and on the decline which is part of the problem with the current head coach and GM's inability to properly evaluate players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

13 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Lots of people projecting a lot of their own personal issues onto McDermott. Every little thing an indictment on his character. 

Lots of people are broken records on here the last few weeks. Saying the same negative things over and over and over again. 

Sorry to take issue, but the broken records are the McD apologists that can't even imagine that perhaps he has terminal issues.  

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

No, you are literally inferring that. You're saying he needs to stay in the good graces to possibly come back, correct? Sorry if I put it into terms you don't like.

A current player coming out to flat out criticize? No. But to speak so supportive when he didn't have to address it at all? (This was NOT a mandatory media session, either...) But yes let's just slap it aside because he needs to stay in good graces..now what is it commonly referred to when someone heaps loads of unsolicited praise on their boss....man....if only there was a common term. 

He isn't inferring anything of the sort but continue on with your histrionics. 

Hyde is a class act and he will always give the professional response. 

How many times have you fainted today, Daisy?

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I have been out of school  a while.
How can you literally infer something?   

You seem to  want to  twist words that are said.

If a player wants to as you say support someone fine.  The post was not about supporting him. 

My point, again, was did anyone expect a present player to criticize McDermott in public.  Would you?

And you said something about players wanting to leave in droves.   Where are you getting that from?

I read the whole article. I respect Tyler Dunne less and will probably not read his output much anymore because I think what he did is something cheap and questions his character and is kind of irresponsible. At the same time he wrote and article, it’s his job, it’s a free country, he doesn’t owe the Bills organization anything, and if that’s what he wants to do he can. Going after a man’s character who is in a high profile very public job and you do with with a megaphone from out of left field imo is just kind of cheap and “little bitchish”. I’m not reading his stuff any more. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

I would speculatively guess that one of the sources is Daboll. Mcd today said players who play on other teams have wished him well then said 'im not tampering' nervously.

That being said, your probably not the best coach if everyone likes you.

Edited by london_bills

5 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

No press pass and never been treated w respect by the ball club. 

stop--lol come on.  he makes it clear in his piece.

Did he have "an axe to grind" with Rodgers and McCarthy in that long form piece he wrote in 2019 about the 2 of them?  

read the article.

On my Facebook, 2 hours ago, The Buffalo News: 

Sean McDermott says support from Bills players was 'clear and much appreciated'

In interviews across the locker room, Bills players from veterans to rookies voiced their support of McDermott on Friday, saying the meeting went well. Safety Micah Hyde, who spoke up in the meeting to back McDermott, was adamant that it was a non-issue.

That shoots down the narrative popular with some--that he has lost the locker room. 

I don't know if this link will work: https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/sean-mcdermott-says-support-from-bills-players-was-clear-and-much-appreciated/article_ce393a6c-95ee-11ee-8ef2-cf6d8ef748f6.html

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.