Sources say ZERO PERCENT chance McD is fired

Brand J

The reason I think this is 100% wrong is that I'm very confident that Pegula is not stupid and is fully aware of the impact of the coaching change in Indy.  They brought in an offensive minded guy with a proven track record and he has the Colts ahead of the Bills for a playoff berth with a backup QB.  I have to believe that McD must get the Bills into the playoffs to keep his job. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The reason I think this is 100% wrong is that I'm very confident that Pegula is not stupid and is fully aware of the impact of the coaching change in Indy.  They brought in an offensive minded guy with a proven track record and he has the Colts ahead of the Bills for a playoff berth with a backup QB.  I have to believe that McD must get the Bills into the playoffs to keep his job. 

Yep.  So tired of the “Who are you going to replace him with?” response.  

On 12/1/2023 at 9:18 PM, Augie said:

All fans, including OUR fans, can have lunatic views on things. That comes with death and taxes. 

IT is different between fans and fanatics.  Makes sense why Fanatics advertises "fashion forward" clothes.
if this keeps up they will be advertising Bill straight jackets.

56 minutes ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

The same people that are totally fine with McD's recurring blunders become the most demanding perfectionists when it comes to replacing him.

so you say roadkill.

5 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I kind of get it, although I question whether McDermott is the right guy going forward. 

There is a lot of mediocre to bad coaching in this league.

Also, I would be scared to death of Bienemy. That's reason enough to keep McDermott. 

If what Brady continues to show us how good of an OC he is, I fully expect him to be our HC in 2025 unless McD wins a SB in 2024. 

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree, it’s worded like it’s trying to hide the fact it’s all speculation. 

2 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I’m not convinced of this report either. There’s a zero chance of him being fired, until he does. That’s the way these usually work. They give a vote of confidence and the next week, they’re fired. Pegulas has even done this with the Sabres. Botterill I think. If they lose 2 of the following games, which is highly likely, then I bet McDs job is in jeopardy. Maybe not fired, but there will be discussions. No longer a zero percent. 

• Agree 1

the thing is... Where do you go if the team doesn't make the playoffs?

-OC was already fired

-ST coordinator was fired

-Frazier "took a year off" to freshen up or something that always sounded like total BS, especially when he's attending league run HC clinics for guys looking to be a HC next hiring cycle

Now McDermott is the DC and that isn't going well. 

I guess you could say it's injuries, but last year we lost Von Miller when he could actually still play in November and Micah Hyde for the season in week 2 or 3. This year we lost Tre White, Matt Milano and Daquan Jones. We replaced Jones with Joseph and 2/3 of Tre with Douglass. 

Injuries on D sucked but we still have the vast majority of our starters, and Douglass has already started to make plays for us. 

All that said, we're going to beat KC this week, then Dallas the week after, get to 8-6 and be in a prime spot for the playoffs. 

Saw a report earlier that Dallas is going to fire Mike McCarthy if the Cowboys don't get to the superbowl at minimum. Keep in mind that he's already been to one (and won it) with the Packers.

Couldn't help but think about how safe McDummy apparently is despite one single AFFCG appearance in 7 years, zero road playoff wins, etc.

Just goes to show the difference between organizations that actually want to win something of note vs. those that are content with a few meaningless division titles and just happy to get to the postseason.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I know there are a lot of people who hate on McD but there is no reason even if the season completely collapses to fire McD unless he completely loses the locker room. And that does not appear to be the case. The Eagles stuck with Andy Reid for many years despite playoff under-achieving because the organization knew he was a good coach and good coaches are hard to find. It was only until Reid appeared to be losing the locker room that he was let go as both parties needed a fresh start. Good organizations stick with good coaches. Not a popular opinion but I think McD deserves one more season to try to right the ship. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I know there are a lot of people who hate on McD but there is no reason even if the season completely collapses to fire McD unless he completely loses the locker room. And that does not appear to be the case. The Eagles stuck with Andy Reid for many years despite playoff under-achieving because the organization knew he was a good coach and good coaches are hard to find. It was only until Reid appeared to be losing the locker room that he was let go as both parties needed a fresh start. Good organizations stick with good coaches. Not a popular opinion but I think McD deserves one more season to try to right the ship. 

First, people who simply want a coaching change don't "hate" McD.  

Second, the Eagles stuck with Reid for years because he got them to the Conference Championship 5 times, including 4 in a row and a win.  McD can point to 1 (one) AFCC game in his tenure with Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Unfortunately this is the year to fire McD as his fingerprints are all over every loss and decision made this year (game plans and calls).  If they lose the next two weeks, I can see a scenario where he loses the locker room and forces Terry's hand.

2024/25 I see no way with Allen that they aren't a playoff team again, but the goal is to win the Super Bowl and like others, I expect when push comes to shove McD will come up short and as long as Playoffs Pegula won't make a change. 

I fear you are spot on.  I’m going to start calling him McLewis, he’s the modern MARVel.  Mediocre by definition and yet fans refuse to acknowledge it because “it could be worse”.

• Disagree 1

The Bengals backup QB beating the Jaguars, in a result that further hurts our playoff chances, pushed me over the edge. I hate that the Bills are likely to miss the playoffs but one silver lining would have been McDermott getting fired as a result. Without that, what is the point of this season? The most disappointing season of the millennium, with the Bills likely missing a shot to participate in the most wide open AFC playoffs maybe ever, and we're just gonna run it back with the same guy in charge next year? It's just hard to feel any glimmer of hope in that scenario.

• Agree 4

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Diggs situation isn’t red flag?

Players wanting to fight the Eagles loser fans?

The undisciplined penalties.  

The outrageous revolving door with assistants.  

Players tweeting the wrong guy was fired.  

Losing the locker room doesn’t have to mean the players no longer want to play hard.  

It could just be the message is no longer getting home.  And it’s revealed by false starts at home.  Personal fouls.  12 men on the field.  

He’s going to be running from 13 seconds forever.  

If you ***k up in this league or any sport, you cannot do it in the most devastating historic way imaginable.  

The Yankees blowing a 3-0 lead to Boston in 2004 is the only thing that comes to mind - Torre lasted 3 more seasons after that but he at least had just won multiple World Series along with most guys on that team.  It took a new manager and they won the WS in 2009.  

Edited by Big Blitz

9 hours ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

The same people that are totally fine with McD's recurring blunders become the most demanding perfectionists when it comes to replacing him.

If you’re not going to trade up, then why trade it all

People like you that just want to change for changes it could easily go south on us

11 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The only way McD can salvage his job is to make the playoffs or promise to fully commit to the offense.  He's had 6+ years and every opportunity to do this, yet he continues to stress failed defensive moves.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I’d have a completely different opinion of McD if he had the same (6-6) record with Gardner Minshew, CJ Beathard, Kenny Pickett, or whoever’s starting for the Browns these days, but he’s got Josh Allen. One of the best QBs in the league. I don’t care that McD is one of the winningest coaches in franchise history. I’ve seen his decision making in big games over the course of 7 years now and I don’t believe he has what it takes to win a SB.

He’s a supposed defensive mastermind, yet his defense fails time and time again to protect a lead. Would the results be different if someone like Jim Schwartz was calling the defense? I do believe so. Would the Bills be just as successful during this 6 year period with Allen at the helm if their HC was Doug Marrone, Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, or Gregg Williams? I do believe so. The talent on the field has overcome mediocre coaching thus far, but it can’t overcome equally talented teams with superior coaching.

If McD doesn’t make the playoffs, Pegula has to look elsewhere. He just has to. How many more assistants does McD get to fire before the thumb points back at him? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’d have a completely different opinion of McD if he had the same (6-6) record with Gardner Minshew, CJ Beathard, Kenny Pickett, or whoever’s starting for the Browns these days, but he’s got Josh Allen. One of the best QBs in the league. I don’t care that McD is one of the winningest coaches in franchise history. I’ve seen his decision making in big games over the course of 7 years now and I don’t believe he has what it takes to win a SB.

He’s a supposed defensive mastermind, yet his defense fails time and time again to protect a lead. Would the results be different if someone like Jim Schwartz was calling the defense? I do believe so. Would the Bills be just as successful during this 6 year period with Allen at the helm if their HC was Doug Marrone, Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, or Gregg Williams? I do believe so. The talent on the field has overcome mediocre coaching thus far, but it can’t overcome equally talented teams with superior coaching.

If McD doesn’t make the playoffs, Pegula has to look elsewhere. He just has to. How many more assistants does McD get to fire before the thumb points back at him? 

I would be happy if having McD as HC was a wash, but he actually makes the team a few games worse each season and his defense gets obliterated in the playoffs his entire career.

12 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And now there’s a race to get those offensive coaches so he better move quickly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

He’s a supposed defensive mastermind, yet his defense fails time and time again to protect a lead. Would the results be different if someone like Jim Schwartz was calling the defense? I do believe so.

On this I agree. McDermott has not been good as the defensive coordinator. He should step down from that role immediately. If he continues to call the plays next season we are doomed IMO and it has detracted from his Head Coaching too. Him admitting he wasn't even watching all the offensive snaps at a time when the offense was sucking bad was quite the admission.

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Would the Bills be just as successful during this 6 year period with Allen at the helm if their HC was Doug Marrone, Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, or Gregg Williams? I do believe so. 

See on this I STRONGLY disgaree. Sean McDermott is a better coach than all of those guys and it isn't close. 

That isn't an argument for saying they have to stick with him. Not at all. But the people saying he is Dick Jauron or whichever of the other bums we hired in the drought are letting their frustration blur their objectivity.

13 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It correlates with what people with contacts in the building have told me. Anything but a meltdown from here on in and the regime is safe.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The reason is the state of the roster. I think McDermott deserves some criticism for this season. He has been a bad defensive coordinator (admittedly shorn of key defensive pieces) and a questionable Head Coach (whose head has been in the defensive playbook too much and not in the game enough) but I don't put the Bills being 6-6 primarily on him and I do think a lot of fans want it to be a Head Coaching issue because the alternative - the players. Is a harder change. 

That said it is BECAUSE I think the roster needs changing that I would lean towards changing the coach too. I am not saying the window has closed or the Bills need to tear it down - they will always have a window while they have Josh if they get the best version of him. But this is a roster reset point. They have older defensive guys who are on good money who are either hurt or not the same after being hurt in key spots - Jones, Von, Poyer, Hyde, White. The final 3 of those have been fantastic Bills. But father time is undefeated. Their one all pro on offense just turned 30. Their center is 31 and has toyed with retirement for 2 seasons. And add in Leonard Floyd who has been their best pass rusher is 31 and on a 1 year deal. 

That is a chunk of the roster that has supported Josh in the first 6 years of his career that will need turning over within the next 2 years maximum.

So the question for me is not "does McDermott deserve one more year?" Because if that were the question I could make a case that he does - so long as he hires a proper DC. The question for me is has the regime done enough to be trusted with building and coaching the 2nd team of the Allen era? On that I think the answer is probably no. And I think that question does have to come this spring. The roster is at that point now.

Forget asking about "running it back" with this staff... people should be asking can the Bills run it back with this roster. And I don't think they can. It is time for a step back, mini-reset year in 2024. That doesn't mean with a bit better injury luck we won't be in playoff contention in 2024. I expect we will. But I am not sure it is a year where we will be among the Superbowl favourites. So it is about making the moves to put us back in that conversation in 2025. So if you retain McDermott now you have to basically commit to him as the guy for that next phase.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If you’re not going to trade up, then why trade it all

People like you that just want to change for changes it could easily go south on us

It's quite the opposite, actually.

It's people like you who believe that only a 3-time SB winning coach in his late 30s or early 40s would be an upgrade on this HC.

No one is saying that our coach is trash, but as long as this team has Josh Allen, it will be relatively easy to improve on McDermott's constant blunders.

It's ridiculous how he always seems to find a way to let this team down when it really matters.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

It's quite the opposite, actually.

It's people like you who believe that only a 3-time SB winning coach in his late 30s or early 40s would be an upgrade on this HC.

No one is saying that our coach is trash, but as long as this team has Josh Allen, it will be relatively easy to improve on McDermott's constant blunders.

It's ridiculous how he always seems to find a way to let this team down when it really matters.

Multiple Super Bowl winners don’t exist on coaching market

Do you know what does the next coordinator who is hot in the fans? Mines turns up being a total flounder

Is about to surpass marv in wins for the bills stick this out

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It correlates with what people with contacts in the building have told me. Anything but a meltdown from here on in and the regime is safe.

I believe and maybe "hope" is a better word, that it's a much more nuanced situation to Pegula then the one you describe.  IMO last night's Bengals/Jags result provided an example of why McD must go and be replaced by an offensive minded coach.

Zak Taylor was masterful in leading a Bengals team minus their franchise QB to a win on the road over a better team.  Sure a lot of Cincy fans criticized Taylor for trying TWO WR pass plays (I was watching the game with a number of Bengal fans last night) but the realty is that the Bengals template won a game no one expected them to win.

Last night showed us why it's important to surround your elite QB with as much talent as possible.  Because when they go down it enables the back up to play much better then he would on an offense (like the Bills) de-prioritized in favor of the defense. 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I believe and maybe "hope" is a better word, that it's a much more nuanced situation to Pegula then the one you describe.  IMO last night's Bengals/Jags result provided an example of why McD must go and be replaced by an offensive minded coach.

Zak Taylor was masterful in leading a Bengals team minus their franchise QB to a win on the road over a better team.  Sure a lot of Cincy fans criticized Taylor for trying TWO WR pass plays (I was watching the game with a number of Bengal fans last night) but the realty is that the Bengals template won a game no one expected them to win.

Last night showed us why it's important to surround your elite QB with as much talent as possible.  Because when they go down it enables the back up to play much better then he would on an offense (like the Bills) de-prioritized in favor of the defense. 

You hope. That is fine. Unless they collapse the Athletic article is consistent with what I am hearing. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He has been a bad defensive coordinator

Gunner, if our head coach is a defensive specialist and is a "bad defensive coordinator" to quote you, and he's not helping the offense or special teams excel, at least as far as I can see, exactly what does he bring to the team that warrants him keeping his job?

Overall defensive philosophy? Energy? Culture? Any other abstract concept?

I don't get how and why a defensive-minded coach who isn't doing a good to great job with the defense — and a lousy job holding onto leads late in the game — should hold onto his job.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You hope. That is fine. Unless they collapse the Athletic article is consistent with what I am hearing. 

It would be nice to hear from Terry, but I know that won't happen. Maybe after the season but even then, it will probably be just Beane and McDermott doing end of season press conferences. McDermott probably will be back next year but if things go south in 2024 then I think you will see a coaching change.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I hope I'm wrong in thinking this but as long as McD is coach the Bills will not get close to going to a SB.  And no, making the playoffs is not getting close to going to a Super Bowl.

5 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Gunner, if our head coach is a defensive specialist and is a "bad defensive coordinator" to quote you, and he's not helping the offense or special teams excel, at least as far as I can see, exactly what does he bring to the team that warrants him keeping his job?

Overall defensive philosophy? Energy? Culture? Any other abstract concept?

I don't get how and why a defensive-minded coach who isn't doing a good to great job with the defense — and a lousy job holding onto leads late in the game — should hold onto his job.

I am not arguing for him to keep his job. But I never liked the idea of him being DC. I know lots of successful offensive Head Coaches call plays but on offense you are dictating. On defense you are reacting much more often and that makes spending time looking at what their O is doing while your O is on the field. I think doing the two jobs simultaneously is extremely difficult. I do think McDermott is a good defensive coordinator. But he isn't a good HC/DC. And both jobs are suffering. 

• Like (+1) 4

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

See on this I STRONGLY disgaree. Sean McDermott is a better coach than all of those guys and it isn't close. 

That isn't an argument for saying they have to stick with him. Not at all. But the people saying he is Dick Jauron or whichever of the other bums we hired in the drought are letting their frustration blur their objectivity.

If we’re counting wins and losses, sure, no argument there. But it’s a bit of a projection, right? He may be better than all those coaches I listed, but there’s no way to know unequivocally for sure. None of those coaches had the luxury of working with a stacked roster and one of the best QBs in the league. The comparisons aren’t equal. 

How much worse would we be if one of them was coaching and not McD? I am not of the mindset that having McDermott as coach equates to +2 wins per season, or whatever. Truth is, he’s probably an average coach masquerading as a good one and up until this year had (mostly) won the games they were supposed to win but ultimately couldn’t get it done when it mattered most. And much of that has been due to his game management.

With McD we average, what, 11 or 12 wins per year? How many would we average with those aforementioned coaches if they were allowed to work with McD’s rosters? Would it be the same? Maybe 10 or 11? Is that a substantial upgrade on those other guys?

Edit to add: I was around for the entire drought. Could probably count the amount of games I missed on one hand. I guess I’m a glutton for punishment. If memory serves me, each of those “lesser” coaches won games in which they were heavy underdogs. This Bills team hasn’t been a heavy underdog in quite awhile, they’re expected to compete and be in every single game. And that’s not because their HC is Sean McDermott. 

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Across the hallway, the entire Sabres front office and coaching staff should be fired.  

If you aren’t following this embarrassment of a hockey game tonight at home.  

Terry ain’t firing his hockey coach and NFL coach in the same calendar year.  

He will allow the trading of superstars tho in order for them to immediately go and win a title.

8 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

If we’re counting wins and losses, sure, no argument there. But it’s a bit of a projection, right? He may be better than all those coaches I listed, but there’s no way to know unequivocally for sure. None of those coaches had the luxury of working with a stacked roster and one of the best QBs in the league. The comparisons aren’t equal. 

How much worse would we be if one of them was coaching and not McD? I am not of the mindset that having McDermott as coach equates to +2 wins per season, or whatever. Truth is, he’s probably an average coach masquerading as a good one and up until this year had (mostly) won the games they were supposed to win but ultimately couldn’t get it done when it mattered most. And much of that has been due to his game management.

With McD we average, what, 11 or 12 wins per year? How many would we average with those aforementioned coaches if they were allowed to work with McD’s rosters? Would it be the same? Maybe 10 or 11? Is that a substantial upgrade on those other guys?

Edit to add: I was around for the entire drought. Could probably count the amount of games I missed on one hand. I guess I’m a glutton for punishment. If memory serves me, each of those “lesser” coaches won games in which they were heavy underdogs. This Bills team hasn’t been a heavy underdog in quite awhile, they’re expected to compete and be in every single game. And that’s not because their HC is Sean McDermott. 

I just totally disagree. Give any of those other coaches last year's season and none of them win 13. Not one. 11 is the ceiling. Now if you want to argue someone might have done better than him THIS season, I can buy that a bit more. He hasn't had a good year as a DC or a HC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

From this point onwards, even losing a single game may keep us out of the playoffs. If we go 4-1 and miss the playoffs, you think McD will keep his job?

I am not predicting anything but think he should be fired not for how the season would have ended but for the performance of the team during the entirety of the season. 

10 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Funny how the worm has turned.  In the past, I would post anything questioning McD and watch the emojis add up with X's, Eyerolls, Vomit & Mad and that was a way to keep track of the McD "Truthers" (yes I'm being sarcastic).   Just look at some of my threads and the many that piled up if I said anything negative about McD.

Now posters are dragging out the dregs of the Bills coaching fraternity and wondering how they'd do with Josh Allen as their QB and the weapons amassed on the defensive side.  I don't know if they were good or really bad coaches, just that Buffalo had losing records and most never got another NFL head coaching job.  Also know not one of them had a QB who excelled elsewhere too.  

I've never hated McDermott, just disliked his philosophy, didn't buy into the "Process", hated his indifference to the Offense and thought of him as a tight ass.  But as long as they won, which started in 2019 and the with the emergence of Allen all I wanted was a SB.  

However the in-game coaching mistakes really drove me batty (started in earnest with the Houston playoff game) and it get's worse and worse as losses pile up that can be attributed to late game coaching in particular. 

Another post highlights last year's KC Game and the late game int.  Good pressure and a great play.  Thankfully it was early in the drive and the defense was aggressive.  Let's give the staff props there.  But since then not a single game where we can say the same thing.

And now look how those with pitchforks out for McD can post with impunity about McD, and so few left who will defend him, with only a small handful who seem thrilled by this thread and the proclamation by The Athletic that McD is safe.

As said I don't care for the most part who is coach (as long as no shady past, questionable conduct, criminal record....) as long as they unleash Allen and bring a SB. to Buffalo.

Edited by Billsfan1972

43 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

From this point onwards, even losing a single game may keep us out of the playoffs. If we go 4-1 and miss the playoffs, you think McD will keep his job?

I am not predicting anything but think he should be fired not for how the season would have ended but for the performance of the team during the entirety of the season. 

Yes I do. I am not saying he should. But I think he would. 

Said it before and I'll say it again. Don't get so fixed on coaching that you lose focus on the team. The coach is pretty much on par with what he's working with. We've overrated this team for awhile now in my opinion and that's without the injuries this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Radar said:

Said it before and I'll say it again. Don't get so fixed on coaching that you lose focus on the team. The coach is pretty much on par with what he's working with. We've overrated this team for awhile now in my opinion and that's without the injuries this season.

This is the answer on my card.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

This is the answer on my card.

I think it’s very funny. 

we always talk about how hard it is to keep a good defense together year after year, then, when the defense gets old and hurt and takes a step back, the argument is that the coach needs to be fired for the defense underperforming.

This was always going to happen. Poyer, Hyde, White and Milano have all been here for SEVEN years. White and Milano were rookies but injuries can pile up. Poyer and Hyde were on their second contracts. Players get old fast, particularly DB’s.

The Von Miller move (which I still don’t hate even if it didn’t work out) was a risk because of Von’s age but also the overall age and health of our defensive core. It was a last gasp at competing with this group, and this group is cooked.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.