Bass = Norwood

Dr.Sack

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

Norwood was 55% from 40+ yards before wide right.

He was not good from distance.

Yes and he was sometimes iffy on grass for some reason if memory serves but with all that he still was expected to make that kick in the SB. Maybe as fans we were a little oblivious to the statistical realities back then as there was no internet to check and worry about stats on a daily basis but we certainly had the perception that he was one of the better kickers in the league. 

18 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

4.4 million cap hit next year with a 7.4 million dead cap.

A really bad and unnecessary extension.

But, but, but, the Bills front office are professionals! They know what they are doing, and are way smarter than you! /s LOL

Bass is a terrible bad weather FG kicker for whatever reason.  Boswell had no issue yesterday and Butker will school him this weekend.  Just hope we don't need 45+ yard FG to win or something.  That would be so nerve wracking.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/26/2023 at 9:02 PM, Bagwell358 said:

He’s mentally screwed and I’m afraid we have seen his best.

he’s become a middle of the road kicker.

How could you say he’s mentally screwed?  His kick was blocked and he missed an extra point on what appears what a bad hold. 

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

Norwood was 55% from 40+ yards before wide right.

He was not good from distance.

FG kickers 30 years ago were not on the same level as FG kickers today. Gary Anderson was thought of as the best back then. In 1990 he went 8 of 13 from 40+. That's ... 61 percent. And his longest FG was 48.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Yesterday, after watching the block and the shank, and then also thinking back to the misses vs the Giants and Eagles earlier in the season, my knee jerk reaction was that Bass seriously needed to be replaced, maybe as soon as this week.  But, for the most part, this is another case where perception does not equal reality; at least as far as how his performance this season stacks up against his historical averages.  He's having a slightly down year, but if you look at his percentages they are not far off his career averages.  And this season is actually tied with his best on 50+ yard attempts (4/6).  One thing bringing his overall FG% down is the lack of attempts from 20-29 yards, which is really due to us being such a superb red zone team.  In 2021, his career year at 87%, he hit 15/15 inside 30 yards.  This year he's only attempted four field goals in this range (4/4). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BassTy00.htm

Still, yes, he does "look" shakier, but maybe that's a bit of projection on our part due to recency bias.

47 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Bass went 1/4 on FGs in the postseason. Should we bring in some competition?

I think we need to draft a kicker. Bass needs to go. I don’t think he will mentally recover from this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/16/2024 at 12:25 PM, TheBrownBear said:

Yesterday, after watching the block and the shank, and then also thinking back to the misses vs the Giants and Eagles earlier in the season, my knee jerk reaction was that Bass seriously needed to be replaced, maybe as soon as this week.  But, for the most part, this is another case where perception does not equal reality; at least as far as how his performance this season stacks up against his historical averages.  He's having a slightly down year, but if you look at his percentages they are not far off his career averages.  And this season is actually tied with his best on 50+ yard attempts (4/6).  One thing bringing his overall FG% down is the lack of attempts from 20-29 yards, which is really due to us being such a superb red zone team.  In 2021, his career year at 87%, he hit 15/15 inside 30 yards.  This year he's only attempted four field goals in this range (4/4). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BassTy00.htm

Still, yes, he does "look" shakier, but maybe that's a bit of projection on our part due to recency bias.

I think if you look at times where we chose to punt over kicking a FG, to me that shows lack of confidence in bass. Bass has also had some brutal misses this year. 

his numbers are bad, his actual kicking looks bad, and he doesn’t have the confidence from his teammates anymore. Gotta get rid of him 

• Agree 2

On 1/16/2024 at 8:14 AM, Back2Buff said:

4.4 million cap hit next year with a 7.4 million dead cap.

A really bad and unnecessary extension.

Yeah another McBeane F***up contract extension.  He is really good at giving money away to players that don't deserve it.

• Agree 1

We see an opposing kicker make a game tying FG from 59 yards in a driving rain storm and this turd can’t make a 40 something yard kick when it matters most.

I wish I never had to see him in a Bills uniform again.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/16/2024 at 8:38 AM, zow2 said:

Bass is a terrible bad weather FG kicker for whatever reason.  Boswell had no issue yesterday and Butker will school him this weekend.  Just hope we don't need 45+ yard FG to win or something.  That would be so nerve wracking.

Welp. 😔

Edited by TurfToeJam
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beast said:

We see an opposing kicker make a game tying FG from 59 yards in a driving rain storm and this turd can’t made a 40 something yard kick when it matters most.

I wish I never had to see him in a Bills uniform again.

Yeah that O-Matic moniker sure didn't marinate well.  He's done and so is Martin. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The thing is, they will bring Bass back and I think it is a mistake.  Sure, he's made some big kicks for us.  But this is the kind of kick.....coupled with how bad he's been down the stretch, that no matter how mentally tough you are, you will think about every time you are in a clutch situation.  And that is very dangerous to have as a team in critical moments.  I think you have to cut him now and start fresh.  Otherwise, there won't be any confidence foe a crucial kick in the future.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/27/2023 at 12:08 PM, Allen2Moulds said:

He has a knack for missing in must have it games. He seems perfect in blowouts against inferior opponents. I do get Norwood vibes from Bass. I have very little trust in him.

Because he's not a clutch kicker like Viniteri, Elliott,  Butker, Tucker etc.  Did you guys miss how close he almost missed those first 2 extra points tonight.  Bass isn't going to magically have a bounce back confidence infused year next season.  Time to go in a different direction. 

• Agree 1

Just now, BillMafia716ix said:

Never put the game in the hands of a kicker. Ever 

Allen tried to not do that but his LT couldn’t hold up to the All-Pro bull rush. Needed McGovern to slide left. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.